Anybody have a clue what kind of gun this is?

Need help finding an Indy Gun, want to discuss film used guns...

Moderator: Cajunkraut

Wraith1031
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Anybody have a clue what kind of gun this is?

Post by Wraith1031 »

So I am at my grandmothers house yesterday and she asked me what I have been up to and I tell her other than work getting together my Indy gear. She ask what all I still needed and when I told her about my search for a S&W 1917 or a Webley, she says "You know....your step-grandfather brought a military pistol home from WWII that has a lanyard ring on it." So she goes and gets in a drawer and pulls this out and says here ya go will this work! Don't really know who made it or what caliber it is yet. ANybody have a clue?
Indiana G
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Indiana G »

looks like a french 1892 revolver.......
Wraith1031
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Wraith1031 »

Hence the M'le 1892.... Yeah....I'm real bright today huih? Lol! :lol:
Wraith1031
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Wraith1031 »

Anyone know what caliber these things were?
IndigoJuliet
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by IndigoJuliet »

Some fo those french pistols had a funny calibres.
I think it might be 8mm even some of thier rifles had the same calibre, just a longer charge or case.
Wraith1031
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Wraith1031 »

Here is what I found out so far.
The French standard issue weapon was the Pistole Revolveur Modele 1892. It was manufactured by numerous state-owned factories and also in Belgium and Spain.

Popularly referred to as either the 'Lebel' or 'model d'Ordonnance' it resembled the British Webley, although it fired six 8mm rounds. Deemed eminently reliable the Lebel remained in common use throughout the Second World War.

Whereas the Webley was snapped open for the purposes of loading, the Lebel's chamber swung out.

The Serbian army made use of French surplus stock, such as there was, for their own wartime use.

So I think it is pretty cool that it was kinda compared to the British Webley and that it was considered a very reliable gun. Think I'm gonna get it checked out by a gunsmith and reblued and Pecard up the holster! It actually fits my S&W Todds holster also! SWEET!!!
Magnum Jones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Magnum Jones »

Wraith1031
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Wraith1031 »

Well, I found out that Fiocchi still makes ammo for this gun! So after I get it checked out and ok'd I'm definitely going to have to get some ammo and take it to the range! Also I had my first experience with Pecards tonight and all I have to say is WOW! :o That is definitely some awesome stuff! I did the 1892 holster, my gun belt, my wifes fathers pistol holster, and going to do mt Todds holster tonight! Great stuff!
carebear
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by carebear »

The Lebel is "The Mummy" revolver.

Although his were an earlier 11mm 1874 "Ordnance" Model, IIRC.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Sure looks like a revolver of the type used in the WW1 scenes in the YIJC programs, doesn't it?

Regards! Michaelson
Wraith1031
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Wraith1031 »

Yeah Im really happy I acquired it! On top of that for free! Just goes to show you never know whats around the next corner..... or in the drawer under your nose covered up by old bed linen! Lol! :lol:
JerseyJones
Vendor

Post by JerseyJones »

Wraith1031 wrote:Yeah Im really happy I acquired it! On top of that for free! Just goes to show you never know whats around the next corner..... or in the drawer under your nose covered up by old bed linen! Lol! :lol:
You know what I usually find under the bed linen.......a To Do list from 11 years ago.

Good find buddy !

Ken
Wraith1031
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Wraith1031 »

LOL! :lol:
DR Ulloa
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by DR Ulloa »

That is a beautiful revolver you have there. All I have to say is "ha ha, son of a..."

Dave
Chevalier Krak
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Chevalier Krak »

I think that's a French Lebel. What an incredible find!

Edit. No, duh. I should have read down the other posts. :oops:
Indiana
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Indiana »

I wouldnt have it reblued. Keep it as is, seeing as how that is probably the original finish. It has more of a story that way. At least that is what I would do.
Wraith1031
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Wraith1031 »

Actually that is kinda what I have been pondering.... It's not really that rough anyway, its kinda grown on me with it's originality and history!
Indiana Bond
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: Pacific Ocean: 19 29.84 N - 155 54.62 W Occupation: Archaeologist "Licensed to Kill"

Re: Anybody have a clue what kind of gun this is?

Post by Indiana Bond »

Kind of late on this thread but that MLE 1892 is actually a SA Indy gun!!! It's also a "Hero" gun!! It was one of the guns that young Indy carries in the YIJC series. It fires 8mm lebel revolver ammo pictured here:

I just picked one of these up on gunbroker for $235. It's a great piece of history and a great Indy addition! Here's a pic:

Wraith1031, There should be 2 dates on the barrel. 1892 for the model and a second date which is the date it was made. Mine is dated 1921. Chime back in and let us know.

Thanks again!

Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

I wouldn't hold my breath, Bond. Wraith1031 hasn't logged in since Thu Jul 23, 2009 11:57 am.

Cool threads you've found about this gun though.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Indiana Bond
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: Pacific Ocean: 19 29.84 N - 155 54.62 W Occupation: Archaeologist "Licensed to Kill"

Post by Indiana Bond »

Indiana Jeff wrote:I wouldn't hold my breath, Bond. Wraith1031 hasn't logged in since Thu Jul 23, 2009 11:57 am.
:-0 :shock: In that case I went and took a closer look at his pics and I can see the second date as 1897. For a pre 1900 gun that most likely also may have seen action in WWI it is in great condition. I see them going for $500+ on GunBroker. The ones that were made after WWI, like the one I just got, will usually be cheaper and in better condition but since they have "less history" they will be more reasonably priced.

Christian Jones
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Christian Jones »

Indiana Bond wrote:Kind of late on this thread but that MLE 1892 is actually a SA Indy gun!!! It's also a "Hero" gun!! It was one of the guns that young Indy carries in the YIJC series. It fires 8mm lebel revolver ammo pictured here
Sorry but this is not correct, the gun that Indy uses in the YIJC is a belgian Nagant M1878, a very rare gun. The Mle. 1892, on the other hand was made in France by the Saint Etienne armory and was used during WWI by french troops. If it has "St. Etienne" written on the side it's the military version, if not, it's the civilian version.

Both guns look similar but they are not the same !
Indiana Bond
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Indiana Bond »

Christian Jones wrote:
Sorry but this is not correct, the gun that Indy uses in the YIJC is a belgian Nagant M1878, a very rare gun.
Yes you are correct but he did also use the MLE 1892. According to Indiana Jones Wiki:

Indy's first pistol was a French Mle 1892 Revolver. In The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles World War I Western Front episodes, for the the Battle of the Somme and Verdun. Even though he never really pulls it out, he carries it in his holster. During Indy's mission in German East Africa, he carried a rare Belgian Nagant Model 1878 Revolver. In The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles episode German East Africa, December 1916, for the battle where he leads a charge for the Askari troops.

I have no reason to doubt this information as it seems to be accurate to what I see on screen. Thanks for the input!