Screenused inspired hat

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

3thoubucks
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Screenused inspired hat

Post by 3thoubucks »

Screenused changed my life! I'm able to stop looking for the Akubra model that Ford wore in Raiders. :roll: ..It was a fun journey, and I did find the Bushman, which I think, is pretty close to the Raiders block. I was just waiting to find a vintage dark brown one on ebay, with a factory telescope, probably called something beside a Bushman. The "chinstrap grommet" theory really had me convinced. --- Anyway, here's what I got from Screenused's Holy Grail Hat. - 4 1/4 inch front pinch confirmed. Front and rear crown lowering confirmed. Ribbon tighter than I thought. ....... Here's a You Tube video of my new "Screenused Replica" hat.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TF8LukW1M3M&feature=user...... ................... ........................................ ....... So here's my 4 1/4 inch front pinch. Image Even though I sanded this hat about 1/3 thinner, I still had to glue this super low peak in. Felt is too springy these days. Vintage HJ felt is like a sheet of wet clay- stays where you put it. This low peak gives me the super deep top bash that I know the Raiders hat has. This was the main reason I had any doubt about the Bushman being the Hat- It just doesn't want to dent this deep, while the Federation does. I was thinking there was a missing link between the Bushman and Federation, but the Bushman can do it- with a lot of effort. Image Then I transitioned the crown into brim a bit over a quarter inch in front, which means I had to move the sweat up into the crown. I don't think the Raiders hat just "relaxed" this much. Note that the widest portion is where the front was before the hat was turned. This completely explains the "dimensional cut, as far as I'm concerned. My hat is an even 2 3/4 brim all around before lowering, and now has a dimensional shape. Image The rear is lowered a bit too in the same way- you can see where the sweat stitching ends. Image The back of the Raiders hat may have "relaxed", but my sweat is sewn in at the brim break, and had to be moved up in back. ------- Another thing about Screenused's hat, I thought "tightened ribbon" when I saw it. I tighten my ribbons, but too much flattens the front pinch- so, I tightened my ribbon more in the back than the front on this hat, and you can see the crown bulging over the ribbon to the rear of the bow in my video. ---------------------------------------------------- -----------One more thing about Screenused's- It again confirms for me that it was a telescope crown hat. Note the point where it caves in on the top, rear, where a telescope crease would be. Image Image In case you skipped the video, here's the link again- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TF8LukW1M3M&feature=user
Dutch_jones
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Dutch_jones »

looks good except your crown is too tall to match the other hat.
indiana smith
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by indiana smith »

That hat looks exactly like the hat in the beginning of raiders.
Mac
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Mac »

Nice video! The hat is amazing, very Raiders.

It's funny how perceptions regarding the dimensions of the hat have been evolving over the past few years. Most now seem to favor less of an exaggerated caricature (high crowns, wide brims, tall front pinches, and rakish reverse taper) than in the past.

Although I loved the hats in your last couple of vids, I think your latest hat is the best yet, $3k!

- Mac
GCR
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by GCR »

Nice work, 3thou! :tup:

I have to agree that this hat is one of the best I've seen you come up with yet. The only thing I'd worry about when it comes to replicating the "screen-used" hat is the fact that some shrinkage has undoubtedly occured, so exact measurements of the hat taken today may not match up with the original dimensions as they appeared in Raiders. However, in this case it doesn't look like the 4 1/4 inch pinch is too far off at all. The hat definitely looks better on your head in the video than it does in the still photos. What hat size do you wear if you don't mind me asking?

Anyways, nice work once again. 8)

-GCR
eazybox
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by eazybox »

You did a great job on your hat and it look terrific in the video, but I have to agree with what GCR posted above. Also, in addition to the possible shrinkage, the crown of the Screenused hat looks as though it's collapsed significantly, at least in the front-- so I'm not sure its current appearance can be trusted for replication purposes.

Jack
starks_6
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by starks_6 »

Wherever did you find such an old movie of Indy showing off his hat! 8)
That looks great mate!
Fletch
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Fletch »

Your hat looks really good my friend. I don't agree with some of the theories you are holding onto but your results can't be argued with. The hat looks spectacular. Nice Job 3thou!
3thoubucks
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by 3thoubucks »

Thanks for the compliments. :) ....... Dutch-jones said
looks good except your crown is too tall to match the other hat.
I think you are talking about the small picture of the hat with the telescope lines- that's not this hat, just an old picture of another hat. Here's the telescope line on this hat. Image Looks like it's in about the same place. Image ... Here's how the ribbon tightening concentrated in the back of the hat made the crown bulge over the ribbon- Image Image .....GCR, it's a size 58 ..