How low does it hang?

Bags, Boots, Shirts and all other gear should be discussed here.

Moderators: Mike, Cajunkraut, Tennessee Smith

afrayedknot
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

How low does it hang?

Post by afrayedknot »

About where is the MKVII gas mask bag supposed to sit? Sometimes it seems to hang below the length of the jacket. Other times it seems to ride above the beltline. Any thoughts?
Castor Dioscuri
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Castor Dioscuri »

I can't say this authoritatively, but my own guess is that the bag moves around so much (due to Indy's activity) that it would be impossible to call any one spot the right spot. Just like how a messenger bag dips and rises when worn. ;)
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

Ark Hunter
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Ark Hunter »

I'm not sure that's a good shot to judge by. It looks rather low to me, actually it's probably that his jacket is pulled up because he's got the bag open. But yeah, about half sticking out from under the jacket I guess.
Indiana G
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Indiana G »

my rule of thumb is that the snaps should play peek-a-boo just below the jacket hem.

kinda like this:

now this depends on how long your jacket is of course and also where that pesky buckle sits (should be square in the chest)....imo
starks_6
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by starks_6 »

Never seen that photo, thats about the best picture of the ark I have seen so far :P
Ark Hunter
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Ark Hunter »

Yeah, me either. Pretty cool. What's it from?
Treadwell
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Treadwell »

I think that's from the Great Movie Ride (apparently during a phase where they were figuring out the correct posing of the animatronics so that they could hold the ark). So not a good judge for SA.
Gary2880
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Gary2880 »

So not a good judge for SA.
Especially considering his bullwhip is nearly low enough to tuck in to his sock! :shock:
redsleighdown
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by redsleighdown »

Treadwell wrote:I think that's from the Great Movie Ride (apparently during a phase where they were figuring out the correct posing of the animatronics so that they could hold the ark). So not a good judge for SA.
Looks like they're trying to get a "perfect" shot of the shadows to me (I could be wrong). Using the real ark would not produce such clean lines.
Ark Hunter
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Ark Hunter »

redsleighdown wrote:Looks like they're trying to get a "perfect" shot of the shadows to me (I could be wrong). Using the real ark would not produce such clean lines.
Yeah, that's what I thought too. I thought it was a behind the scenes shot showing how they got a nice shadow of the ark. They wouldn't set animatronic hands like that for testing. It would have been a 3d ark if that was the case.

BTW, if you have ever tried waring your whip around with a normal snap holder, you'll find your whip down to your ankle too.
Sergei
Admin Emeritus
Location: Off the grid, in from the cold - Jack's Canyon ~1119

Post by Sergei »

You are right... they were trying to get a more perfect line of the ark which they couldn't achieve with the prop ark. So they came out with the cutout version that created more crisp lines for the shadow shot.
Indiana G
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Indiana G »

Sergei wrote:You are right... they were trying to get a more perfect line of the ark which they couldn't achieve with the prop ark. So they came out with the cutout version that created more crisp lines for the shadow shot.
plus the fact that you don't want 2 guys infected with cholera (sp?) lifting anyting heavy :lol:

the shot is from theraider.net in the behind the scenes photos.....lots of cool stuff there :D
Red Dust
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Red Dust »

if you've bought the bag strap then i always go by the buckle being in the very centre of my chest.. (if u goin Raiders style) but if the buckle slips down abit its because the bag has gone further around your backside.. it should stay between your left hip and on your left buttock alittle.. ha. the bag inturn with these measurements should be at the right height under the jacket.. alittle covered up!!

Red Dust
afrayedknot
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by afrayedknot »

Has anyone found a need to cut the strap at the end to compensate for being height challenged or having a short torso in order for the buckle to sit at the center of the chest?
Chewie Louie
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Chewie Louie »

I bought the 65" version from Todd's but I think it may be too short. I am 6'0 and the buckle comes in below the middle of my chest. Should I have gone with the 72" inch version?