Aging Wested's Authentic Lamb

Discuss technique for prolonging the life of your gear or giving it that aged look

Moderator: Dalexs

MK
Admin Emeritus

Aging Wested's Authentic Lamb

Post by MK »

Here are pictures of Koreana Jones's authentic lamb (which used to be Rundquist's):

Enjoy!
IndyMo
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by IndyMo »

Very nicely aged!!
Crusader
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Crusader »

I'd be curious as to which type of technique (or all of them) that were used to create this masterpiece.
zohar
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by zohar »

That's the very first jacket I've seen on here that actually looks like the original Raider's jacket during the movie.

Excellent job.
Indiana Texas-girl
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Indiana Texas-girl »

It's the softest jacket I've felt too. I'm definitely going to be ordering a Lamb after I have Peter size me up at the QM.
Captain D
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Captain D »

Yes indeed!

That jacket "does" in fact look VERY much like the jacket used in the film! :D

Congratulations on a job well done, and "thank you" for sharing it with us!

Captain D
MK
Admin Emeritus

Post by MK »

For those who have never seen my hand aged Wested (my first Indy jacket) that started the acetone craze back in the ninties:

http://www.regular-guy.com/jacket.htm
Koreana Jones
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Koreana Jones »

Hey MK!

Thanks for posting my rub with a lamb! BWAH!

Best Regards,
Jun
Koreana Jones
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Koreana Jones »

Oh duh...

First I applied 70% alcohol 3 times to the jacket. On a paper towel. 2 times one day and once the next day. Then I took out my acetone. Remember... rubber gloves and a well ventilated room or preferably outdoors. Soaked a paper towel with acetone and started on the back. Rubbed in a circular motion, 4 inches in diameter. Any bigger then the acetone just gets absorbed by the leather. Let the color start moving around then lift up the towel and move on to the next section. Of course you remove more color where the jacket would have more abuse. Shoulders, back, elbows, pockets, and blah blah blah. After the acetone get some 60 grit sandpaper... KIDDING! 320 grit sandpaper and I lightly rubbed all around the jacket. More pressure on the edges and seems. And there go you. Oh the joys of distressing a Wested Lamb. Any other questions?

Best Regards,

Jun
Prof. Fanara
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Prof. Fanara »

Ssssssaaaaaaaaawwweeeeeeeeeet!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for the info Jun! Guess, now its my turn to try it on my new 'authentic' lamb. (only cause I want one to wear, not because I can do a better job. :P I doubt that I could! :)

Did someone say that the leather is still soft to the touch even after distressing? :)

Great pics!!

-Prof. Fanara
Koreana Jones
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Koreana Jones »

I forgot to get back to this thread. Prof, its not that hard. The toughest part of distressing the jacket is actually deciding that you will do it. And once that acetone soaked paper towel touches the jacket, its all down hill.
Obi Wan and Only
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Obi Wan and Only »

Both jackets look great. Will he same technique woirk on the Wested goat version?

-- Obi-Wan and Only
Indiana Texas-girl
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Okay, I bought some acetone tonight and am resurrecting an old thread. I plan on doing this in my driveway (which is a well ventiliated place), but what I'm wondering is, does the residue from the acetone evaporated fairly quickly. (I'm just worried about someone walking down the street with a cigarrette and igniting a flame. Also the can says to turn off any gas...I'll be outsideabout 15 feet from where the gas turn off switch is, so do you think that still counts.

Also, once done, do I need to worry about my jacket lighting on fire if near a cigarrette or cigar due to it being acetoned? Or does it kinda evaporate? Or should I lightly rinse off the jacket with water?
Ken
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by Ken »

Holly

Speaking from my personal experience I think you should be fine. Just dont go out of your way to ignite things - dont leave the acetone bottle by a fire or smoke while you're pouring it or something. But I wouldn't worry about the fumes outside or the flammability of the jacket once you have used the acetone on it.

Ken

PS - What motivated you to distress?
rick5150
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by rick5150 »

Indiana Texas-girl wrote:Okay, I bought some acetone tonight and am resurrecting an old thread. I plan on doing this in my driveway (which is a well ventiliated place), but what I'm wondering is, does the residue from the acetone evaporated fairly quickly. (I'm just worried about someone walking down the street with a cigarrette and igniting a flame. Also the can says to turn off any gas...I'll be outsideabout 15 feet from where the gas turn off switch is, so do you think that still counts.

Also, once done, do I need to worry about my jacket lighting on fire if near a cigarrette or cigar due to it being acetoned? Or does it kinda evaporate? Or should I lightly rinse off the jacket with water?
ITG,
You will be fine. The acetone evaporates very quickly. Use a little at a time on the paper towel before you go crazy to get a feel for how easily the dye can be removed or even moved from one area to the next.

The acetone will ignite easily, but not THAT easily, so unless someone flicks a cigarette directly at the acetoned jacket while you are applying it, you need not worry. Any flammable characteristics of your newly distressed jacket are long gone with the evaporative fumes.

Unless you toss your jacket on a barbeque grill, I do not expect to see it go up in flames ; )

Lastly, make sure your driveway is very smooth. I expect concrete would be better than asphalt, but either way, you have what you have. Just make sure that it was poured from a smooth aggregate or it may leave an odd pattern on your jacket. You can always bring an ironing board outside...

Since acetone is a readily soluable in water, you can rinse it, but it will not be necessary.
Indiana Texas-girl
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Indiana Ken wrote:PS - What motivated you to distress?
I love the smooth look of my jacket but for my costume it's just not Indy enough if it doesn't look distresed. Seeing Indiana Tone's recent pics kinda ignited me to want to give a try at it, as well as seeing everyone else's distressed jackets.
rick5150 wrote:Just make sure that it was poured from a smooth aggregate
Rick your info was very helpful, but I'm gonna admit I don't know what pouring from a smooth aggregate means.
rick5150
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by rick5150 »

Indiana Texas-girl wrote: Rick your info was very helpful, but I'm gonna admit I don't know what pouring from a smooth aggregate means.
Sorry. When they mix concrete or asphalt, the size of the stones used in the mix helps determine the smoothness. Some driveways are as smooth as glass (fine aggregate) and some are very rough and bumpy (coarse aggregate). Usually if you can see the individual stones in the asphalt it is coarse. Rough Aggregare is bumpy and will make funky marks on the jacket. My driveway is coarse. If you like I can send a picture, but I have nothing to show you to compare it with...
Indiana Texas-girl
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Nah, that makes sense. I think it's fairly smooth...typical house driveway. When I walk on it barefooted it doesn't hurt my feet in terms of bumpiness.
Indiana Texas-girl
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Tone, you can see it here:
viewtopic.php?t=13237&highlight=