Gusset (sp?) added to Wested LC Jacket?

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

Obi Wan and Only
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Gusset (sp?) added to Wested LC Jacket?

Post by Obi Wan and Only »

I've had my LC Wested (goat) for a while now, and wish it would age a bit faster.

My question is this: When I ordered the jacket from Peter, he discussed that his design was the original, and the gussets were added on location by their costume people. Made sense, and I left it at that. Problem is, now that I have been wearing it almost everywhere these days, I understand why the gussets were added from a practical POV.

So:
1) Did the LC jacket have gussets in the first place?
2) Has anyone had Peter add gussets to an existing jacket?
3) If Peter does not add gussets, is there someone out there who has had a good experience somewhere they would recommend who understands the drill for us fans?

As always, thanks.

-- Obi-Wan and Only

PS - Peter, our thoughts and prayers are with you and your mum.
Cassidy
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

If memory serves...

Post by Cassidy »

I seem to remember a while ago that when _ was digging deep into the jacket controversy, Peter insisted that NO production jackets left his company with gussets...and yet, the jackets that _ examined had gussets.

Same as Lee's jacket which came from the company that would eventually become Wested.

I'm sure some of the old timers can shed some light on this?

I'd really like to know myself exactly what I should be ordering if I want the next best thing to a 'Raiders' jacket...

Cheers,
Cassidy
Harry Steele
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Harry Steele »

As I recall from past posts, _ examined a stuntman's jacket. Could gussets have been added to stuntmen's jackets given their needs?

Can anyone post a pic of HF wearing a jacket with visible gussets? Enquiring minds and all that....

Cheers,

Harry
Indiana Joe
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Indiana Joe »

_ examined a Raiders jacket, not the LC. The Raiders gussetts can be clearly seen in the part when Indy tells Marion to wave the torch "at anything that slithers." As for LC, I don't recall.
Indydawg

No...

Post by Indydawg »

no gussets on the LC film jacket.

But, that certainly doesn't mean you shouldn't get them if you want them....I mean, who REALLY cares? If it's something you want and they make the jacket fit better TO YOU, then get 'em.

It's all about you, after all!

Later!
Indydawg
Obi Wan and Only
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Obi Wan and Only »

Hi Indydawg,

Thanks for the note on the LC jacket.

As for whose jacket is it - good observation. I've also been toying with the idea of getting one a Raiders jacket, and hear the Flight Jackets is a good option.

I guess when I'm gonna be swingin' my arms about dispatching baddies I could wear the Raiders verison, eh?

-- Obi-wan and Only
Indydawg

Yep...

Post by Indydawg »

I did my time in the "absolute screen authenticity" trench. What I finally realized was that I COULD get something that fit MY idea of what was exactly screen accurate, but it only mattered to ME. To anyone else, it was just another leather jacket. And ultimately, if it doesn't fit right, doesn't look right, and isn't a leather you can wear without constantly being paranoid about ripping or tearing, then what is the point of having it? So I now subscribe to what I like to call the Indiana Jones school of thought with regards to jacket selection....in other words, if Indy were real, which (insert appropriate gear item here) would he get today. Knowing his need for the most functional and dependable gear he could get his hands on, the question answers itself.

Later!
Indydawg
Cassidy
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Good points...

Post by Cassidy »

Indydawg - you made great points & observations. One of the things that I allowed to bother myself when I started collecting gear (around '98, although I've always collected the "official" gear since the 80's) was that some new discovery was always being made, which made my gear "less authentic" than the next guy, guys with undoubtedly deeper pockets. This was partially one of the reasons I more or less gave up. I looked at guys like Rabbitooth etc...who had FANTASTIC looking gear, very much the image of what I always saw onscreen...and I never could attain that look. Sure, I had saved up and splurged on an HJ...then the PB came around. Bought the LLBean pants and Willis & Geiger shirts...then Noel Howard popped up.

Really exciting developments I must stress, and fantastic for the hobby, not to mention a heartfelt thanks on all of our part is owed to the main contributors of this site. BUT, screen authenticity really mattered to me and it seems like a never ending battle.

My point? I got out of gear for a while, missed it like ####, and as soon as I can will be getting items again. Although I really do love my Wested which I hung on to...but that new authentic lamb DOES look nice...here we go again.

Cheers,
Cassidy
Indiana Joe
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Re: Yep...

Post by Indiana Joe »

Indydawg wrote:So I now subscribe to what I like to call the Indiana Jones school of thought with regards to jacket selection....in other words, if Indy were real, which (insert appropriate gear item here) would he get today. Knowing his need for the most functional and dependable gear he could get his hands on, the question answers itself.
Great point. As Indydawg knows, I'm starting to take the trainings wheels off and ride on my own when it comes to the screen authenticity of the jacket. He's a persuasive person and it just so happens I've got a Wested cowhide coming.

Although I like like cowhide jackets and coats, I never thought I'd be getting a cowhide Wested. Lamb's authentic but goat's more durable so I went the goat route. But, the Raiders costumers picked a lambskin jacket and distressed it to look like a cowhide. Obviously, I tie this in with Indydawg's point he made. Indy was supposed to be wearing cowhide. In the Peruvian jungle. At least that's how I was able to slowly take the training wheels off in regards to the jacket.

Now about that cargo pocket placement...... :wink:
Indydawg

IJ and the Training Wheels

Post by Indydawg »

Yep, Indiana Joe and I have had a couple of discussions about his ravenous need for screen authenticity....he's comin' around :wink: ....but he also makes an excellent point. They did take a lamb jacket and try to make it look like a distressed cowhide. Don't forget that the screen adds physical weight to whatever is on screen, too....so what looks more heavy on screen is lighter in weight and thickness in real life. Lamb was actually the perfect leather to choose, given the circumstances it would be seen under. But, for practical use, it just doesn't stand up....at least not in my overly active lifestyle where I might be wearing my jacket in front of my class in the morning and wearing it horseback riding in the late afternoon on any given day.

Cargo pocket placement? Hey, man....whatever is most convenient for you, I say, and to @#$% with screen authenticity. Again, what good is it, if you can't/won't wear the thing?

But if you MUST know, MK is THE MAN to talk to about the cargo pockets.

Later!
Indydawg