Indy Style Summer hat

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

IndianaSolo
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician
Location: New York City..."You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy"

Indy Style Summer hat

Post by IndianaSolo »

Looking around at villagehatshop.com, I noticed some nice straw hats and a DP Cotton twill Indy hat.
I'm not sure I would want to wear a fur hat in the summer, It can get pretty hot and humid in NY. SO I was looking into a few summer hats and I was wondering what recommendations some of you had. Straw, Cotton Twill, lite wool, etc...
Mulceber
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mulceber »

Indiana Jones straw hat: http://www.petersbros.com/INDY_CUSTOM/Default.htm

Although personally, I'd just wear the hat in summer - maybe take out the liner to make it cooler. That's generally what I do and I'm a new yorker as well. :junior: -M
IndyFlyer
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by IndyFlyer »

Indy Straw is a great way to go, had mine on just last weekend as West Texas heats up. A little searching will provide more info, here is a link to a small thread on mine from last summer--well, minus the pics, I re-set all that stuff so maybe I'll put them back up for a little while.

viewtopic.php?t=23598&highlight=
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

My PB straw was a life saver last summer when our temps went over 100 and stayed there. Not unusual for you folks out West, I know, but for Tennessee with high humidity, it was BRUTAL!!! :x

The PB straw kept me cool and protected from the sun.

If I recall in conversation with Joe last Fall, they were working on a new liner for the straw too for better ventilation, so that should be something to be asked about again before we get into warm weather..... :-k

HIGH regards! Michaelson
Hemingway Jones
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Hemingway Jones »

I have a 30s style Panama Hat from Art Fawcett and Vintage Silhouettes that is amazing. The block is totally stove pipe, the brim is wide, and the style makes it equally adept as an adventure hat or a dress hat if one were wearing a vintage suit.

Thanks to Sable for the fun graphic!
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Post by binkmeisterRick »

Tim! They let you out of Monkey Rehab! Good to see you, my friend! :wink: I know Chewie also has a straw from Art which is very nice. I've seen it in person and it makes me want to save up for one.
Hemingway Jones
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

binkmeisterRick wrote:Tim! They let you out of Monkey Rehab! Good to see you, my friend! :wink: I know Chewie also has a straw from Art which is very nice. I've seen it in person and it makes me want to save up for one.
Just barely! I think everyone needs some sort of summer hat. The old felt can roast your head!
Panama Tom Jr.
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Panama Tom Jr. »

Dig the Panama Tim! As I'm planning on a visit to the actual country of Panama in the next year or so I may be looking at a straw myself depending on the time of year I go. It would nice to have a fed I could wear during the summer months...
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Hemingway Jones wrote:
binkmeisterRick wrote:Tim! They let you out of Monkey Rehab! Good to see you, my friend! :wink: I know Chewie also has a straw from Art which is very nice. I've seen it in person and it makes me want to save up for one.
Just barely! I think everyone needs some sort of summer hat. The old felt can roast your head!
Uh, who's the new guy? :-k

HEY HJ!!! Where in the WORLD have you been?????
:D
HIGH regard! Michaelson
indy1936
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by indy1936 »

I've had luck with panama hats from Brent Black of http://brentblack.com .
Technonut
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Technonut »

Panama Tom Jr.
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Panama Tom Jr. »

Now that's what I'm talkin' about! How much did that Fawcett run you?
Chewbacca Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Chewbacca Jones »

As Bink pointed out, I have a cuenca panama from Art Fawcett. I had to have it reblocked because I sweat so much in summer it shrank like a cheap pair of jeans! :lol: But it is an awesome summer hat. I'll try to get new photos. Also, Art is reblocking my Peter Bros. straw. Can't wait to see that!
MiloFinch
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by MiloFinch »

I've had a Panama hat for years, and its indispensable for summer wear. That way not only do I stay cool, but I don't look like a complete fool walking around in a South Louisiana summer with a fur hat. Just thinking about that makes me sweat. I have done it though. :D

I've been trying to Belloq-bash it, but the brim is a little long to give it that sharp curl in the back.

A nice Panama and a linen suit, it kinda makes you feel like a coke dealer. I just tell people I don't know what they're talking about though.
Hemingway Jones
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Michaelson wrote:
Hemingway Jones wrote:
Uh, who's the new guy? :-k

HEY HJ!!! Where in the WORLD have you been?????
:D
HIGH regard! Michaelson
Who ME????

Hello, My Friend!

My, what a crazy trip this year has been!

I cannot tell you how many times I said to myself that I had to write you!

I am going to be checking back here more often. :D
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

PLEASE do!!! :D

If you needed bail money, all you had to do is ask. We'd have passed th hat around! :lol: :wink:

HIGH regards! Michaelson
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

And I promise to only pilfer 95% of the bail money we raise for you. How much is 95% of a nickel again? :wink:
Hemingway Jones
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

This year bodes much better and there are some great adventures ahead!

Thanks for the friendship fellows! Bink graces my cell phone often. Michaelson is much more elusive! ;)
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

It's part of my community service. :wink: It's good to see you around these parts again, Tim. Here's hoping for a grand 2008! With lots of straw hats! :wink:
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Hemingway Jones wrote:
Thanks for the friendship fellows! Bink graces my cell phone often. Michaelson is much more elusive! ;)
Blame Jerry. After throwning the phone on the ground several times during that one QM summit, I'm a bit 'cell phone shy' now. [-( :wink:

Regards! Michaelson
Indiana Bond
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: Pacific Ocean: 19 29.84 N - 155 54.62 W Occupation: Archaeologist "Licensed to Kill"

Post by Indiana Bond »

Indyflyer,

Please repost your PB straw Indy hat photos from last years thread. Would really like to see them. Thanks!!

IB
DanielJones
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by DanielJones »

My PB Indy straw is a life saver in 100° heat in the summer out here in the west too. It's ventilated enough to let a breeze flow through and cool the noggin. I think Arkansas Russell can attest to this also, since he like the image of my Indy straw at Disneyland so much he used it as an avatar. :wink: And then got one himself. :)

It's a great summer hat all the way around.

BTW, welcome back Tim!

Cheers!

Dan
Kokopelli
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Kokopelli »

IS- I can recommend highly AGAINST any type of cotton twill if heat build up is a concern! I have a cotton twill 'safari bush hat' with a wide brim bought with the intended use as a sun shielding summer hat. :(
Five minutes outside and I knew I had made a mistake. I may as well have wrapped a plastic garbage bag around my head! Even with large ventilation grommets, it was a heat stroke waiting to happen. I've seen that DP your talking about, and it does have a nice shape. If it was a straw it would be nice.
Bottom line, a straw of some type is the way to go for summer.
IndianaSolo
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician
Location: New York City..."You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy"

Post by IndianaSolo »

Whatta you guys think of this one?

http://www.villagehatshop.com/vented_outback.html

Great Price, Nice Style
Arkansas Russell
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Arkansas Russell »

DanielJones wrote:My PB Indy straw is a life saver in 100° heat in the summer out here in the west too. It's ventilated enough to let a breeze flow through and cool the noggin. I think Arkansas Russell can attest to this also, since he like the image of my Indy straw at Disneyland so much he used it as an avatar. :wink: And then got one himself. :)

BTW, welcome back Tim!

Cheers!

Dan
Dan you are so right!!! I love my PB Straw Indy , love it so much I have another on order [it will be creased different than the Indy style though]
Here is a photo of mine from last summer...
Oklahoma Jones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Oklahoma Jones »

Berkely hats sells a panama for 26 bucks plus shipping in a chocolate brown color that is pretty nice.........bought one last year, and got an ivory one this year, with brown puggaree band........not bad for the money. Oh, did I mention the brim on this hat has a dimensional cut???? 32.50, my friends, shipped to your door :wink:
Indiana Bond
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: Pacific Ocean: 19 29.84 N - 155 54.62 W Occupation: Archaeologist "Licensed to Kill"

Post by Indiana Bond »

Oklahoma,

I would love to see some pics of your Berkley Panama hats. Especially your ivory with brown band. Been thinking of getting one set up like that so it would be great if I could see yours first!

Thanks!! :P

IB
MiloFinch
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by MiloFinch »

I agree. That's a nice looking hat from the website, and you really can't beat the price if it's all you say it is. I would especially like to see the brown one.

I already own a cream Panama, but that brown one sounds interesting. ####, at that price, I might just order both.
Spatterdash
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Spatterdash »

Hey, Oklahoma.

If this is the Berkley Panama you are refering to, I gotta admit, that's impressive.

http://www.berkeleyhat.com/panamahat.html

I like the fact that you have all those hat band colors to choose from.
Mulceber
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mulceber »

OT: Am I the only one who thinks this would make a great Belloq hat? http://www.berkeleyhat.com/noname32.html

:junior: -M
Panama Tom Jr.
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Panama Tom Jr. »

Oklahoma,
I also would love to see pics of your Berkleys - especially the brown. One question though - are the hats shapeable at all? I'd prefer to have the brim snap up in the back, as opposed to down as their picture shows...
Piker
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Piker »

At that price, I can get 3-4 with different color bands!

Even a volunteer can afford that. :D
Chewbacca Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Chewbacca Jones »

IndianaSolo wrote:Whatta you guys think of this one?

http://www.villagehatshop.com/vented_outback.html

Great Price, Nice Style
For that price... not bad at all!
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

2 1/8" brim? That's awful narrow for my taste, or use. :-s

Still, a nice hat for the price! :D

Regards! Michaelson
PADDY
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

The Summer look...

Post by PADDY »

As ever, a GREAT LOOK there Tim.
Last edited by PADDY on Fri Mar 14, 2008 6:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
MiloFinch
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by MiloFinch »

Mulceber wrote:OT: Am I the only one who thinks this would make a great Belloq hat? http://www.berkeleyhat.com/noname32.html

:junior: -M
That brim is a little too small to give it the very dramatic roll in the back. I think that their regular, $28 Panama would be better suited, assuming that the brim is easily shapable, that is.
Spatterdash
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Spatterdash »

Just realized a problem with the Berkley hats, which stinks because I was REALLY liking them as an option.

The largest size is one size too small for me. I'm a 7 5/8.

Now, there's no sweatband in these hats, so would the one-size-too-small actually stretch comfortably to fit, or will it chafe and irritate my forehead?
MiloFinch
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by MiloFinch »

I'm 7 5/8 as well.

Isn't 7 1/2 just 1cm smaller? Unless 7 5/8 is tight on you, it shouldn't be too bad. Should it?
Indiana Bond
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Indiana Bond »

How about calling them and asking if they can do it in 7 5/8?

Mine just came in today. It's 7 1/4 and its just a wee tad bit too big. Still is very wearable as it sits just above my ears. After awhile, on my head if I'm walking, it does tend to work it's way down to where it just touches the top of my ears. I figure it will probably shrink a bit once it gets some sweat and sun on it.

It is definately not a SA indy clone as it does have some taper. But at least it has a 2 7/8 to 3 inch brim and a 5 inch crown. This hat looks really good. Especially at $30+!! :D

Will be taking some pics with my Camptown Fieldmaster soon and will post them.

:P

IB
Spatterdash
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Spatterdash »

Indiana Bond,

I didn't call, but I fired off an email asking if the largest size would work for me or if a slight stretching was feasible. We'll see what Berkley says. Since it doesn't have a sweatband and it is a nice, soft weave of ecuadorian, I may just go for it anyway.
Hemingway Jones
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

DanielJones wrote:My PB Indy straw is a life saver in 100° heat in the summer out here in the west too. It's ventilated enough to let a breeze flow through and cool the noggin. I think Arkansas Russell can attest to this also, since he like the image of my Indy straw at Disneyland so much he used it as an avatar. :wink: And then got one himself. :)

BTW, welcome back Tim!

Cheers!

Dan
Thanks Dan!
That PB Indy straw looks great. It looks like a Milano weave. I really like those. They're great for summer and pretty tough.
rjallen70
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by rjallen70 »

Somebody please post pics of the Berkley in brown!
I can't wait to see this thing...
Ron
Pyroxene
Admin Emeritus

Post by Pyroxene »

Here's the hat I wear in the summer times. This is an Indiana Jones Inspired Hat that I commissioned from Robert Weber of Panama Hatworks of Montecristi. It took 5 months to complete and ship to me.

It makes for a very nice evening hat.
Bruce Wayne
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Bruce Wayne »

in regards to the peter brothers straw indy, is it real straw for that plastic immitation stuff?
thanx!!!
charlie
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Real straw.

Regards! Michaelson
Indiana Bond
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Indiana Bond »

Here's my Berkley. Natural with brown ribbon. Also Pics with my Camptown Fieldmaster for comparison.

:P

IB

Last edited by Indiana Bond on Mon Mar 17, 2008 12:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bemo
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Bemo »

That's nice! I know what my new summer hat will be. Brim dimensions look very close to the Camptown. What color ribbon did you choose?

Peace.
Indiana Bond
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Indiana Bond »

Bemo wrote:What color ribbon did you choose?
Brown
rjallen70
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by rjallen70 »

Thanks for that pic Mr. Bond!
I think I will order one myself.
Ron
MiloFinch
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by MiloFinch »

Yep. I'm sold.

Now I just need to decide what band. I'm thinking navy blue.

How difficult do you think it would be to bash one of these suckers?