Stolen or Lost Adventurebilt stories

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

IndianaSolo
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician
Location: New York City..."You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy"

Stolen or Lost Adventurebilt stories

Post by IndianaSolo »

Hiya Fellas,

Just ordered my Keppler and am now in the process of reaching Steve for the AB. Two things came to mind?
1. It sounds like and awesome hat that is more than worth its price, but requires A LOT of patience to get.
2. SINCE it takes a long time to get, how bad would I feel if god forbid It gets stolen or lost? :shock: :oops: :cry:

I would hate to have something like that happen. A Fed can be rebought if something like that happens but Steve's hat would be so precious Id be afraid to take it out. When I get excited about getting an AB this thought gets in my head and I start having second thoughts.

I would love to hear your thoughts, advice or stories in regards to this subject.

Thanks
Mulceber
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mulceber »

Well I think there's only one solution to this problem: never let that hat out of your sight when you get it. :) :junior: -M
Indiana Johnson
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Indiana Johnson »

Let me tell you my story.
I ordered my hat January 4th of 07. On February 13th, 2008, we were hit with a horrible blizzard that caused power black outs, white out conditions, and several traffic accidents. My 30 minute commute was nearly 3 hours that day.
My Adventurebilt was delivered that day, but the postman simply left it on the front porch. The wind blew it away. My loveley wife, heaven bless her, ventured out that afternoon to walk the children to the neighbors. She got to the end of the driveway, and called it quits, turned around. She spied a box pinned to the fence by the fierce wind, and recognized it as a postal box. She rescued it. A few more minutes and it would have been gone forever. So my hat survived its first near death adventure.
GoldenHistorian
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by GoldenHistorian »

interesting story.
its really annoying when people dont respect packages sometimes you might think they should say on the box if it is expensive or not but then someone might steal it :roll:
Indiana MarkVII
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Indiana MarkVII »

I wonder how much more work might be involved if vendors like Steve and Marc would offer insurance or a signature for release? Packages that require a signature for release can be a problem if the receiver is not home during the day, but with advanced notice, I can get the widow next door to sign for me. She's home all day, except for her weekly hairdo day, and loves to watch out for my deliveries.
michaelb
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by michaelb »

I was actually thinking about posting something about this, but didn't know if anyone would deem it important...

I was at a school dance back in 84, I was 16, and decided to wear my Bollman Lost Ark Fedora. $30 back then was a big deal, and unlike the DP's, this was a pretty decent hat... AND an "Indy" hat, at the time.

Anyway, I was at the dance and the hat, which I got a few days before and was in love with, was grabbed off my head, in the middle of a dark dance room. I don't think that I ever moved that fast in my life. I lunged forward and grabbed the brim of the hat as it dissapeared into the crowd. At the same time, I poked, whoever it was, directly in the eye. Not good but I got the hat back and was raging with adrenaline. Nobody approached me, so I figured they were ok.

I guess my question is, how many people, in the crowded bustle, opening night, would even take THE CHANCE of wearing their AB?! Especially if people notice the difference in quality and shape/form compared to the DP wearers in the crowd?

I think I might wear my Akubra to be safe, rather than take the chance of someone grabbing it and running off. Of course, I would have to kill this person, but, if it's gone, it's gone...

Any opinions?

MB
GoldenHistorian
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by GoldenHistorian »

just carry your whip and hi power along with you to be safe :twisted:
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

hat

Post by BendingOak »

Just don't live in fear. Get the hat. wear the hat. Have fun with it and get into a habbit when you walk out of a place to hav it on you noggin where it belongs.
IndianaChris711
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by IndianaChris711 »

After reading all these stories, about loosing your hats is making me shocked quite a bit. :shock: I tell you what I would, I would take my whip and use it to get that hat back. Trying not to hurt the person, but I can imagine someone trying to take the hat off your head. Either glue it to your head on opening night or put one hand on your hat and one on your whip.

Indiana Johnson, that is an incredible story. Your wife is a great one, she rescued your hat out there in the cold. Great story.

michaelb, yours is very interesting too. Did you ever figure out who you poked in the eye? Glad you did get your DP back at that time.

I just hope no one does that opening night, we don't want to see whips being flung at hat thieves. It would make a great adventure, but not really what people want to be doing opening night. I guess that is why Indy has a whip and a gun to keep his from getting stolen. :wink: Just kidding, anyway I would try to get my hat back as quickly as possible, and if I had to use my whip I would have to resort to that. :wink:

IndianaChris
swcrazyfan
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by swcrazyfan »

You could always staple it to your head! :D (< joking :wink: )
cooncatbob
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by cooncatbob »

Indiana MarkVII wrote:I wonder how much more work might be involved if vendors like Steve and Marc would offer insurance or a signature for release? Packages that require a signature for release can be a problem if the receiver is not home during the day, but with advanced notice, I can get the widow next door to sign for me. She's home all day, except for her weekly hairdo day, and loves to watch out for my deliveries.
Art sends his custom hats Priority Mail with a signature required, and if your not home the postman leaves a notice. You can either sign off for them to leave the package next delivery or pick it up at the post office.
whipwarrior

Post by whipwarrior »

If you are concerned about an important package being left on your doorstep by the mailman, then you might have a trusted friend or neighbor keep watch for you. I live in an apartment complex, where most packages are simply left on the doorstep in the hallway. Needless to say, it concerns me that it could be stolen while I am at work. So I have all of my packages shipped to my parents house, where I pick them up later.

Insofar as having your hat snatched from your head, that's a risk you'll have to take. Personally, I am waiting to see it the next day, as I did with Revenge of the Sith. I saw the movie four times on opening day, and there was practically nobody at the theater when it opened because everyone was at work. Each show became progressively more crowded as the day wore on, but I was gone by the time the really big crowds began to show up. I'm playing it the same way on May 22nd, and I will be in full gear. It's nice to see a movie in an auditorium with only a dozen people. :D
viper80134
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by viper80134 »

I had gotten my PB custom and had it for about a year then. At the time I was living in Colorado and went hiking in the mountians. We hicked to a particular high point and on the way up i noticed it was quit windy. So i pulled my hat down tight to my head. Well on the way down a huge gust of wind whiped threw the vally and snached my hat right off my head. After my heart sank and watched this all in slow motion to me, it landed of the side of a steep hill with rocks right next to the creek that was running threw the vally. I was thinking thank the indy gods it didn't end in the creek and took it away further. The bad part thou was my wrist was broken at the timeand my brother had to climb down the hill with the rocks to fetch it for me. The whole time i'm praying that another gust of wind wouldn't pass threw before my brother got to the hat. He was able to retreive the hat and all was good. Its was bad enuff that i almost lost my PB custom, i can only imagen what it would be like if it was a AB-Deluxe. Which i hope to order one soon and start my long wait.
Rook
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Rook »

Indiana Johnson wrote:Let me tell you my story.
I ordered my hat January 4th of 07. On February 13th, 2008, we were hit with a horrible blizzard that caused power black outs, white out conditions, and several traffic accidents. My Adventurebilt was delivered that day, but the postman simply left it on the front porch.
Not Indy, but a related story. I've had UPS leave a $1200 screen used costume on the back sidewalk and NO yellow post-it note saying it HAD been delivered! It actually sat outside for two days in freezing temps+snow when I called the company I got it from, got the tracking number and saw it HAD been delivered!

A little... upset with UPS that day. :(

Russ