Keppler Fedora?

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

theinterchange
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Keppler Fedora?

Post by theinterchange »

I've pretty much decided I'm wanting to order a Keppler fedora. I was wondering what the general opinion of his hats is. Pros, cons, pluses, minuses? Thanks for any imput.

Randy
Mulceber
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mulceber »

The big con that I know of is the wait time that it can have. Also, I think the color may be a LITTLE light.

Other than that, I hear it's a great hat. :junior: -M
theinterchange
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by theinterchange »

Mulceber wrote:The big con that I know of is the wait time that it can have. Also, I think the color may be a LITTLE light.

Other than that, I hear it's a great hat. :junior: -M
He quoted 6-8 weeks in an email I sent him. I would probably be applying fuller's to it. Would that make a difference color wise?
Mulceber
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mulceber »

ah, well that never mind about the wait time.
I would probably be applying fuller's to it. Would that make a difference color wise?
Probably not, but then again, the reason I tend to think it's light is because of the pictures on his website...most of the user-provided pictures I've seen look fine. I wouldn't worry too much about it. :junior: -M
Rabittooth
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Rabittooth »

The Keppler is a beautiful color.

-Rabittooth
theinterchange
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by theinterchange »

haha nice pics. I agree it looks really good. I like the color.
Magnum Jones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Magnum Jones »

I've had my keppler just over a year, and I love it!!!

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w92/ ... 170041.jpg
jedidentist
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by jedidentist »

I've had mine for at least 5 years now. It's tapered some and I'm not too big on the slant of the front. It's a nice hat for the price, and Lee was great to deal with.
theinterchange
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by theinterchange »

jedidentist wrote:I've had mine for at least 5 years now. It's tapered some and I'm not too big on the slant of the front. It's a nice hat for the price, and Lee was great to deal with.
I'm getting a TOD styled fedora.. so some taper will be ok.
Tron7960
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Tron7960 »

Great pictures of you and "young Indy" Rabittooth.

Tron
Strider
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Strider »

The Keppler fed looks the same color as the AB does after someone has worn the AB for a year and the color fades. My Ab now looks just like the color my Keppler did when I owned it. The keppler is a good fed, just don't get it more than a little bit wet. Mine got drenched and that was the end of it. It tapered up quick as a wink.
theinterchange
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by theinterchange »

Strider wrote:The Keppler fed looks the same color as the AB does after someone has worn the AB for a year and the color fades. My Ab now looks just like the color my Keppler did when I owned it. The keppler is a good fed, just don't get it more than a little bit wet. Mine got drenched and that was the end of it. It tapered up quick as a wink.
Now I'm scared.. I was going to wear this hat out and about, also while fishing.. that might not be a good idea then.... :shock:
Neolithic
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Neolithic »

theinterchange wrote:
Strider wrote:The Keppler fed looks the same color as the AB does after someone has worn the AB for a year and the color fades. My Ab now looks just like the color my Keppler did when I owned it. The keppler is a good fed, just don't get it more than a little bit wet. Mine got drenched and that was the end of it. It tapered up quick as a wink.
Now I'm scared.. I was going to wear this hat out and about, also while fishing.. that might not be a good idea then.... :shock:

Eh... I waited for over a year for my Keppler.
Compared to an AB or an Akubra, it didn't really do it for me.
It's a solid hat- but almost solid to the point of being like a helmet.
I didn't keep it long enough to see it taper. I'd reconsider if I were you.
Kokopelli
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Kokopelli »

Neolithic wrote:
theinterchange wrote:

Eh... I waited for over a year for my Keppler.
Compared to an AB or an Akubra, it didn't really do it for me.
It's a solid hat- but almost solid to the point of being like a helmet.
I didn't keep it long enough to see it taper. I'd reconsider if I were you.
I spoke with Lee concerning 'wearability' and durability, such as rain, and let him know I needed an all weather outdoor activity hat...He said that his hats are fine to get wet, drenched even, as long as they are allowed to dry on their own...no lampshades or blowdryers, as any felt hat should be treated when wet. He commented that the tapering he had been told about were the result of people A: leaving them in a hot car, B: putting them on lampshades or C: using a blowdryer to dry them.
theinterchange
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by theinterchange »

I see. So, if I don't do anything stupid to it, I'll be ok.
Kokopelli
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Kokopelli »

theinterchange wrote:I see. So, if I don't do anything stupid to it, I'll be ok.
that's actually how Lee described it...I was trying to be more tactful!
theinterchange
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by theinterchange »

citRon wrote:
theinterchange wrote:I see. So, if I don't do anything stupid to it, I'll be ok.
that's actually how Lee described it...I was trying to be more tactful!
No worries with me.. I don't offend easy. I keep getting detained from calling him to discuss the hat.
Dini
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Dini »

So, beaver can be ruined if you hurry up the drying process?
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Just about anything can be ruined if you hurry up the drying process.
:wink:
Regards! Michaelson
Dini
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Dini »

Oh but this isn't all beaver, its a blend right?

Was getting this one confused with Vintage Silhouettes
Rundquist
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Rundquist »

Last edited by Rundquist on Fri Mar 07, 2008 4:48 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

The crown of mine was a bit taller than the one seen in your photos, Adam.

Regards! Michaelson
Rundquist
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Rundquist »

Michaelson wrote:The crown of mine was a bit taller than the one seen in your photos, Adam.

Regards! Michaelson
He might have tweaked his hat over the years. I've had a few Keppler's over the years, although now I don't have one (or any Indy hat for that matter). I believe that these photos of Lee are of the most current offering. Cheers

PS- Back in the old days there were endless debates about what the Indy hat was and wasn’t. It’s only now that the hat has been pretty well nailed by almost everyone. Steve Delk has been able to see what one of his hats looks like on Harrison Ford himself, for goodness sake. There’s obviously differences in all the hat offerings, but they’re all pretty decent at this point.
Han Jones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Han Jones »

I got my second Keepler a few weeks ago and it did not look that good. It was tapered and mishapen right out of the box. I looks like it has what I would call dead spots in the felt. The first hat I got from him is my main raiders hat. It looks great! I don't know what to do with this one. I have tried to shape it but it just does not look as good as the first one. I called Optimo to see about getting a reblock he was short on the phone and when I told him what hat it was he said it was not even worth messing with it. Not the first time optimo told me that. I have sent 2 akubra, 1 miller and AB there and he said everyone was cheap.
Rabittooth
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Rabittooth »

Han Jones wrote:... I don't know what to do with this one. I have tried to shape it but it just does not look as good as the first one.....
Hey Han...why not call Lee? 8) :wink:

-Rabittooth
Han Jones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Han Jones »

Called Lee and he was very helpful. He is going to shape my hat since I have screwed it up a few times. I just can't seem to get that idol grab look the way I want but I know he can. Don't hesitate do buy from Lee he is great to deal with.