Wested 80's cut

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

Mark Brody
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Wested 80's cut

Post by Mark Brody »

I've recently heard a lot about the 80's cut of the Wested. What exactly is the difference, and how much more does it cost? I've been going back and forth with Gemma about this, but the time zone thing isn't working out too well for fast communication.
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

Hi..if you want much info on this 80's cut?look thru some older post here..there is ALOT of info on this jacket..

basic the body of the jacket is slimmer.the sleeves are more tappered.higher and thighter armholes.no leather facings and it cost's less then the standard jacket

hope this helps you a bit

best
Holt
Mark Brody
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Mark Brody »

Thanks for the reminder to use the search option. I found this thread and it helped a lot.

viewtopic.php?t=24628&highlight=80s

However, the 80's cut definitely costs more. I received this email from Gemma today:
You state in an email that you wanted the slimmer cut,If this is correct there is an extra charge,please let me no.
If anyone could help me out on what this charge is, you'd be saving me a full day of communication across the pond.
Arlington Beech
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Arlington Beech »

Holt, I think you might be mistaking the '80s cut' for the 'ROtLA special'

While the special is cheaper and has all the features mentioned, the '80s cut' itself can be done with any custom coat, its just a slimmer fit as you mentioned, but will only have 'no leather facings' if you request it.

Hope that helps!
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

Indiana Crowe wrote:Holt, I think you might be mistaking the '80s cut' for the 'ROtLA special'

While the special is cheaper and has all the features mentioned, the '80s cut' itself can be done with any custom coat, its just a slimmer fit as you mentioned, but will only have 'no leather facings' if you request it.

Hope that helps!
sorry my bad...I know...I just got cunfused in the two jacket's

thanks for correcting this

Best
Holt
Mark Brody
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Mark Brody »

I think it'll be the regular cut for me. From what I hear, the most SA cut for a Last Crusade jacket is the standard cut, and the cut is what I like most about the LC jacket.
afrayedknot
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by afrayedknot »

I've thought a lot about this as well: 80's cut or standard cut. I've come to the conclusion that the 80's cut will look better on someone with a slender frame rather than on someone who might have a more muscular build or someone who may be carrying a little extra "padding". Does anyone who fits the latter descriptions own an 80's cut? I'd be interested in your opinion (pictures would also be very helpful).
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

Hi I have the 80's cut rotla special.I am pretty decent built from working out and martial arts.

look how it fits on me.this jacket is a 42 80's cut
http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g182/ ... front7.jpg
http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g182/ ... ide1-1.jpg

best
holt
Mississippi Jones
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Mississippi Jones »

So what's the difference between a regular Raiders Wested and an 80's cut?
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

you can read it here on westeds site.just click on the jackets.
http://www.ekmpowershop4.com/ekmps/shop ... es-9-c.asp

best
holt
wannabe
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by wannabe »

Eric did you get your jackets from this website?
Nebraska Brad
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Nebraska Brad »

I have a muscular build and the regular cut of my first Wested was way too baggy in the middle. My 80's is a much better fit.

-Nebraska
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

yes I got my jackets from Peter.yes this website :D

yes I can agree with N brad the 80's cut jacket fits me better in my body shape.the 80's cut has a slimmer body and i have a V back shape so when i had my standard jacket on zipped it was baggier in the middle

best
Holt
IndyFan89
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by IndyFan89 »

Is it more Raiders SA?
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

then the standard?....Oh yes!... :wink:

best
Holt
ortiz344
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by ortiz344 »

last i thought , my wested rotla special was an 80's cut, is it?
afrayedknot
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by afrayedknot »

Is there anyone who has purchased an 80's cut jacket that was not pleased with the fit? I might have to rethink this.
PLATON
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by PLATON »

Is there anyone who has purchased an 80's cut jacket that was not pleased with the fit? I might have to rethink this.
Hi I am build like Ford in the 80s. Only 5cm shorter.
I wear 40. The 80s cut 40R is snug and short. Nothing like the film jacket. Day/Night difference. Film shots and screen caps show a loose jacket. Not snug and short.

I would advise anyone who considers 80s cut, to study the photos, see the film again, and then decide.

Correct me if I am wrong, but that's just my opinion.

If you want snug and short go ahead and buy it. If not don't.

Of course, there's the other thought which I don't know if it has been tried yet. That is, order 80s cut and size up, i.e. if you wear 40, order 42 80s cut. Maybe that will work, don't know.
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Post by binkmeisterRick »

PLATON wrote: Hi I am build like Ford in the 80s. Only 5cm shorter.
Um, then that means you aren't built like Ford! It's like saying The S&W Victory is just like the S&W HE-2, but in .38. Yeah, but it's NOT the same gun! :lol: Besides, build has more to do than with just height. Does your torso length match his? Waist size and hip placement? Is your chest to belly ratio exactly the same? Sorry, Platon, I think only Ford was and is built like Ford. :wink:
Cassidy
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Cassidy »

binkmeisterRick wrote:
PLATON wrote: Hi I am build like Ford in the 80s. Only 5cm shorter.
Um, then that means you aren't built like Ford! It's like saying The S&W Victory is just like the S&W HE-2, but in .38. Yeah, but it's NOT the same gun! :lol: Besides, build has more to do than with just height. Does your torso length match his? Waist size and hip placement? Is your chest to belly ratio exactly the same? Sorry, Platon, I think only Ford was and is built like Ford. :wink:
Built like Ford?

I'm built like Dodge in the 80's. Cheap, beat up and not very reliable on cold mornings. :shock:
coronado3
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by coronado3 »

Built like Ford?

I'm built like Dodge in the 80's. Cheap, beat up and not very reliable on cold mornings.
That's some good stuff right there!
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
C3
Mississippi Jones
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Well, I went to the wested website to look for the 80's cut jacket. Is it under the custom jacket link? Or do I just send an e-mail saying "I want an 80's cut Raiders jacket?"

By the way, those that did order the 80's cut, what kind of leather did you use? I like the dark Raiders leather, is that the lambskin or goatskin?

Also, I'm a size 40, should I go with 40 long, because like most of you, I find Wested's to be a bit too short.
Mississippi Jones
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

By the way, I remember doing some research on previous threads and finding something on Harrison's build. Does anybody know Harrison Ford's exact measurements, weight, height, and build during ROTLA?
St. Dumas
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by St. Dumas »

Does anyone have photos of a regular Wested and 80's cut Wested in the same size we could see for a side-to-side comparison, preferably on and off the wearer? I'm very interested to see if the 80's cut should be ordered in a "long" to avoid the shortness Platon refers to. I'm hoping there's one of you out there.

SD
PLATON
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by PLATON »

Um, then that means you aren't built like Ford! It's like saying The S&W Victory is just like the S&W HE-2, but in .38. Yeah, but it's NOT the same gun! Besides, build has more to do than with just height. Does your torso length match his? Waist size and hip placement? Is your chest to belly ratio exactly the same? Sorry, Platon, I think only Ford was and is built like Ford.
Hi,
I see what you mean but I know you also know what I mean.
People who wear 40R have approximately the same built. Otherwise 40R would not fit them all, so it would be pointless having jacket sizes (or they wouldn't all be wearing 40)

If I wear same jacket size, same shirt size, same pants size and same shoes size like Ford, I don't give much much thought about the belly ratio.

The above makes me look a lot more like Ford rather than John Candy or Michael Jordan, or Kenny Baker (if you know who that is). And yes, I have seen photo of Ford with wearing only underwear and my analogies are like his.

Forget everything what I said above, it can all be summarized in the two lines below.

I positively think that if we wear the same jacket size and a jacket is short and snug on me, it will be short and snug on him too (as he's 5cm taller too).
PLATON
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by PLATON »

Does anyone have photos of a regular Wested and 80's cut Wested in the same size we could see for a side-to-side comparison, preferably on and off the wearer? I'm very interested to see if the 80's cut should be ordered in a "long" to avoid the shortness Platon refers to. I'm hoping there's one of you out there.

SD
I have owned both standard and 80s cut. Both in 40R
Much to my surpise they measure the same.
Back length, shoulder span, sleeve length and storm flap length are identical.

Yet, when I try them on, one is longer than the other. I do not "think" it's longer, I have measured the distance from the end of sleeve to bottom of jacket when worn, in both cases.
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

PLATON wrote: And yes, I have seen photo of Ford with wearing only underwear and my analogies are like his.
Please don't post comparison photos. =; but if you want to show yourself squished into an R2 getup, go right ahead! :lol:
People who wear 40R have approximately the same built.
That's right. Approximately. And I wear a 40 jacket, too, so in theory, Ford's jacket should fit me the same way it fits you and the same way it fits Ford. Yet while the exact same jacket may look equally good on all three of us, I believe it would look noticeably different on all three of us, as well. There are subtleties between people that can make all the difference. I also wear the same hat size as Ford, but his head is shaped differently than mine. So whereas the way the brim and hat reacts is because of the unique shape of his head, we fans have to come up with different methods of obtaining the same look, even if we wear the same size.

Keep in mind, too, that different manufacturers seem to have different ideas on how a size 40 should fit, so consistency in size has to be taken with a grain of salt sometimes. (Like my U.S. Wings EXTRA SMALL which fits like a larger than a size 40!) If Ford's jackets were custom, then they wouldn't have been off-the-rack sizes, but taken from his direct measurements.

I still want to see you in the R2 getup. :wink:
PLATON
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by PLATON »

I agree with everything you say
We may both be wrong or right it doesn't matter.
What matters is members here to get the jacket they think fits them better. The one that they are happy with.
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

PLATON wrote: What matters is members here to get the jacket they think fits them better. The one that they are happy with.
I agree fully with that. :wink:
Indiana Johnson
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Indiana Johnson »

I bought the 80's fit. I am 5'10, 160 lbs, and wear a 40R. Most 40R jackets I have are built for typical Americans, ie, 38 waist :lol: I have a 31 waist. The Wested 80's fit jacket was the first jacket I ever bought that didn't feel baggy. It fits my slender frame very nicely, I am very happy I went with the 80's cut. But I do not have a regular, non 80's cut to compare it to. I also have a shorter torso and longer legs, so my jacket hangs down several inches below my natural waist line, I don't find it too short at all.
PLATON
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by PLATON »

I bought the 80's fit. I am 5'10, 160 lbs, and wear a 40R. Most 40R jackets I have are built for typical Americans, ie, 38 waist I have a 31 waist. The Wested 80's fit jacket was the first jacket I ever bought that didn't feel baggy. It fits my slender frame very nicely, I am very happy I went with the 80's cut. But I do not have a regular, non 80's cut to compare it to. I also have a shorter torso and longer legs, so my jacket hangs down several inches below my natural waist line, I don't find it too short at all.
Then perhaps you need to share your photos with us.