Recieved my Todd's Standard Lambskin Indiana Jones Jacket...

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

Dre
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Dre »

Thanks bobby, though i'm still a bit worried. Also, I ordered a small but wonder if I should have ordered a medium - I want the jacket to be somewhat trimly cut - I'm 167cm tall (short!) and my chest measurement sits at 39". I find my size 41 wested (non-80s cut) to be very large. I've figured out that the small (44" chest) *should* fit, but then with these sorts of things even if you work out all out numerically, in practice it's often different.
Indiana G
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Indiana G »

dre,

wested's pattern is less form fitting than todd's. wested will give you a great LC which is quite different than at least one of the raiders jackets we've seen. i think the well of souls jacket looks quite snug whereas the imam's house jacket looks like today's wested. now if they are both the same jacket then kudos to the camera crew for getting my eyes to play tricks on me.
bobbyd
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by bobbyd »

The small will prob work well for you. The medium I had was just a little bit snug on me in the chest and shoulders, but then I only had a 4" differential between my actual chest size (42", just measured!) and the jacket (46"). You've got a 5" difference so that may be enough.
Also, at 5'10" (178cm) the medium was perhaps an inch or two short on me in terms of the sleeves and overall length. Given that you're just about 4 inches shorter than I am, and the small is only 1" shorter than the medium, it'll prob be a nice length; may even be an inch too long! Good luck!
-bd
Dre
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Dre »

I guess for the same price (including postage ~200 AUD) you can't get any decent leather jackets in Australia. I've just been spoilt by the goatskin wested I have. Ah well, either way it's on it's way - i'll let you all know my verdict on it when I get it.
Indiana Snipes
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Indiana Snipes »

Dre wrote:I know this is a jacket from 'todd's COSTUMES', but i'd like to actually be able to wear this jacket as a proper jacket and not just something designed for one or two conventions before it disintergrates
I wear my jacket almost everyday to work, so that's not something to worry about.
Robert Duke
Vendor

Post by Robert Duke »

I have a lambskin Wested and like these pictures is just a bit too new looking and desire the screen accurate look now of distressed. It just kinda hurts me to do anything to it, however I want to go ahead.
Each leather has its own touch feel - lamb, goat, cowhide, etc.

Is there a topic on distressing these beautiful coats that I can proceed with sandpaper or whichever? I was wondering what are the major points to highlight when distressing - that is what areas or the entire coat.
What grit sandpaper, and whatever else may be used to achieve a really excellent distressed look.

Cheers,
Robert Duke
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Go to the 'Gear care and distressing' section below, and you should find several discussions about ways to distress your jacket.

By the way, Robert, where in the heck have YOU been hiding?! I haven't seen you around for quite a while! Welcome back!! :D

Regards! Michaelson
Robert Duke
Vendor

Post by Robert Duke »

Michaelson wrote:Go to the 'Gear care and distressing' section below, and you should find several discussions about ways to distress your jacket.

By the way, Robert, where in the heck have YOU been hiding?! I haven't seen you around for quite a while! Welcome back!! :D

Regards! Michaelson
Life kinda gets in the way.. still doing the Indy thing with my gear, however been way too busy to hit this board as I used to do.

Was in Nashville for 5 days last week and met another COW member by happenstance as he saw my Duke Whips t-shirt. We were both attending the ResoSummit at Scarritt Bennet which is next to Vanderbilt. My first stay in Nashville and what a great time I had. Scarritt Bennett had some lovely old Gothic architecture.... old time cool

Plus, have had my head down making bullwhips. I have a few orders to get out including one order for 2 16 foot Indy's. :shock:

Cheers,
Robert
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Wish I had known that. I'm about an hour or so southeast of Nashville myself.

Best to you, my friend.

Regards! Michaelson
indy89
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by indy89 »

Alright! I received my Todd's standard Indy jacket today and I'm proud to say that I love this Jacket. The fitting is great and it wrinkles fast! The hide is thinner than I thought, but for the price of $149 this jacket is great. Here's a couple of pics!
http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa17 ... G_1226.jpg
http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa17 ... G_1228.jpg
eazybox
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by eazybox »

Congratulations-- looks good. And like the label says, it's "lucky!"

Jack
Indiana Max
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Indiana Max »

How could I ever mix up Wested with Todd´s, forgive me :wink:
Never mind! It looks great :D
Niob
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Niob »

Received my Todd's standard two days ago and i'm very pleased with this jacket. It fits perfectly (size XL) and the leather is very soft. I will have to wear it very often when the winter is over to get this used look and i'm lookin forward to that :D I also got a pair of the original gloves (weathered) from them. Their customer support is great and very friendly.
A+++++ for Todd's.
Dr._J
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Dr._J »

eazybox wrote:
crowe07 wrote:Just wondering...for those of us who are too tall...is there enough leather in the cuff to let it out a couple of inches?
I would ask puppetboy about that. Mine seems to have a couple of inches of extra room in the sleeves, but I'm not sure how successfully they could be let out.

Jack
I have the Todd's Standard as well and have lengthened my cuffs. I've let mine out one inch and they look great! The leather on the inside of the cuff is held in place with rubber cement (I assume) and pulls apart gently. Just roll out what yoou need (I think an inch and a half would be the maximum) and flatten-out the crease with a hot iron (be sure to use a paper bag between the iron and leather). Voila!

Regards, Dr. J
lingarn
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by lingarn »

Well, it has been a few months since Todd's Standards started getting into people's hands.

How are they holding up? Are people still satisfied with their coats?

Inquiring minds want to know. :wink:
Indiana G
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Indiana G »

it looks awesome and is still looking quite new.....hanging in my closet that is..... :lol:

too cold to give this guy some serious wear up here :cry:
KingNothing
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by KingNothing »

Indiana G wrote:it looks awesome and is still looking quite new.....hanging in my closet that is..... :lol:

too cold to give this guy some serious wear up here :cry:
I feel your pain. -20 *****. Unless I wear like 3 sweaters under it. But then I just look like a fat guy with a tiny jacket.

I just got mine today. #### it smells good. Is the conditioning the same for this as a Wested? Or is it more of a pre-conditioned leather?
Dre
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Dre »

I got my jacket just before summer in Australia. It's too hot to wear any sort of jacket in this heat, ESPECIALLY leather. But come autumn I should be able to actually wear it a bit.

I do regret not changing it for a larger size (I got the small). I love the fit overall except it's really quite short - which looks okwith business pants or pants that arent low cut, but looks silly with jeans.
Indiana Venkman
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Indiana Venkman »

Well, I've been lurking for a while and doing lots of research. I been a long time fan of Indy and am finally starting to get my gear together. And after reading this thread I bit the bullet and just as of today, paypaled Todd for one of his Standard mediums.

For overall look and affordability it seems to be the jacket to get. The only thing I'm concerned about is the size. I ordered a medium and wonder if I should have gotten a small. They recommended getting the medium and so I did. I'll take pictures as soon as I get it. I have to say I'm pretty excited. The pics I've seen look dead on to the movie.
Dre
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Dre »

The small is very small. Medium is probably a good way to go even if you are on the small side. That being said, I do like my small, but sometimes feel a bit silly wearing it due to the shortness. I'm not fat, but the sleeves are a little thin for an indy jacket on the small. If you're of a slender build and you're short, then a small might be alright.

Post pics!
Indiana Venkman
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Thanks for the reassurance on the size, I will certainly post pics as soon as it arrives.
Nebraska Brad
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Nebraska Brad »

The sizing may be a bit off on these. I bought one right before halloween and on Todd's recommendation went with the large. I have a 42.5" chest and it was too tight and stayed really open in the front when not zipped. It made my athletic frame appear really chubby so I sold it (at a killer price if I do say so myself!). Something to keep in mind perhaps.

-Nebraska
Indakin
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Indakin »

honestly... id recommend the XL for almost everyone. Just wet the baby good after so you can distress and shrink it some. IT just fits me so that i cant take that risk to try shrinking it. But his raiders jacket has some nice wear and id just go bigger and shrink down, i dont think they are all too differnt insize.
bigrex
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Pics: My Todd's jacket by Coyle's

Post by bigrex »

Here you go, a few more to add to this post.

Last edited by bigrex on Tue Feb 05, 2008 12:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Indakin
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Indakin »

what size is your todds?
bigrex
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by bigrex »

The size is their standard large. I'm 5' 11" but small boned, I think it fits just about right, but I imagine it would be kind of a tight fit for a big boned guy. According to the site it looks like the larger sizes will be back in stock by March or the end of February. I've since rubbed a little 70% alcohol on the jacket just to take a little extra edge off the shine.

Yeah, St. Dumas, LOL not 10'11" actually to be exact I'm 5' 10.5" and I got mixed up in typing, oops.

Jerry Indiana, not that tall, I don't think Todd's is putting out standard sizing in the 11 foot range for all their customers out there with needs on the order of that size :shock:
Last edited by bigrex on Tue Feb 05, 2008 1:44 am, edited 3 times in total.
St. Dumas
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by St. Dumas »

bigrex wrote:I'm 10' 11"...
Somebody call Guinness.
Indiana Jerry
Scoundrel
Location: DBSSWWD ~ "This is how we say goodbye to MIMES in Germany!"

Post by Indiana Jerry »

I'm guessing that's not metric...you are almost ELEVEN FEET TALL??? Holy smokes, that's impressive! You're like two Binks high!

(I just counted the buttons on your shirt...you really are tall, aren't you?)

Did the alcohol work for you for dulling the shine? Some folks get variant results...
Indiana Jerry
Scoundrel

Post by Indiana Jerry »

bigrex wrote:Jerry Indiana, not that tall, I don't think Todd's is putting out standard sizing in the 11 foot range for all their customers out there with needs on the order of that size :shock:[/i]
Darn! I was looking forward to re-enacting the well of souls scene where Indy knocks over the really big anubis statue... ;)

But at least since bink corrected me now you ARE two binks tall after all!
Indiana Jerry
Scoundrel

Post by Indiana Jerry »

I swear, BigRex, I was ready to believe you were 11' tall. I started counting the buttons on your shirt, doing some typical jacket length math like many of our members (completely accurate, I assure you), and found the 11' gearhead theory plausible... compared to some of the other stuff we read as mods, anyway. Really crestfallen that you turned out to be an urban-myth... ;)

Welcome to COW!
bigrex
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by bigrex »

Indiana Jerry,

Sorry to hear your crestfallen that 11 ft giants don't currently exist on the planet surface and aliens are a more likely to be based on some truth than that particular urban myth of the 11 ft Indy wearing behemoth.

Anyway, here's a couple more pics that feature the jacket post 70% alcohol rub down and all my other Indy accoutrements in hand and on belt.

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n237 ... 1059ii.jpg

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n237 ... 1071ii.jpg
Indiana Jerry
Scoundrel

Post by Indiana Jerry »

Thanks, Rex - much better lighting in these, you did a great job on the jacket! Not too shiny at all, but still got a nice luster to it. Did you also notice any color coming off on it on the rag or whatever you used, or did it really just dull the shine without working off any color?

(Ever since the Digging For The Truth episode about The Giants Of Patagonia (which might have been sloths), I Want To Believe in really tall people...)
Shtick
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Shtick »

Bigrex, very nice setup you've got there! The jacket looks great
Indiana Jerry wrote:I Want To Believe in really tall people
No comment.
Mulceber
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mulceber »

Honestly Bigrex, looking at the pics you provided, I think you should go with a custom Indy jacket (either from Todd, Wested or Magnoli). Even though the length and sleeves on that are fine, I think that jacket is just too baggy on you to appear screen-accurate. :junior: -IJ
Shtick
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Shtick »

All these great jacket photos are making me want to get a new one. My medium brown Disney jacket just isn't cutting it.
bigrex
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by bigrex »

Indiana Jerry,

Some color did come off, it's sort of funny though, in person you don't really notice any difference to the jacket except the slightest hint of some dulling. On film it actually looks significantly more dull than in person.

Indiana Jones,

Thanks for your honesty. I think the reason the jacket appears big is that I have the rear straps loosened to their limit almost so they're undone. Plus the Todd's shirt is kind of a big, loose, thick and stiff cotton shirt. Wearing that shirt underneath probably makes the jacket look more substantial in size -especially around the arms.
Indiana Venkman
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Looking good, Bigrex. I am so excited about getting mine, I can't wait until it's here. Every new post in this thread just adds to my anticipation. :D
IndianaLV
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by IndianaLV »

Indiana Venkman wrote:Looking good, Bigrex. I am so excited about getting mine, I can't wait until it's here. Every new post in this thread just adds to my anticipation. :D
Aye, same here. :D
I just ordered a jacket from Todd in XL. I hope it fits me, the jacket is one of the most essential gear parts...
bigrex
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by bigrex »

Ok, here is the jacket with the straps cinched up to the max, I'm also wearing a lighter weave shirt. The jacket now appears tighter and I suppose it also would be more "screen accurate". I just normally prefer to make it look a little looser on my frame by wearing a loose, stiff shirt and by loosening up the rear straps. I promise this is the last set of photos of me and my jacket for awhile. :lol:

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n237 ... jones3.jpg
Mulceber
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mulceber »

Yep, definitely looks better this way. I'd recommend leaving it like that. :junior: -IJ
Indiana Venkman
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Well, as I was getting ready for work this morning there was an official sounding knock at my front door. My first thoughts were 'who the heck is at my house this early in the morning' and the second was, 'no, it can't be that'.

Throw on my robe and answer the door and sure enough it's Canadapost with a package from Todd's!! I got dressed, grabbed my box knife and opened the package to find my new jacket and gun belt. I had just enough time to throw the jacket on for a quick fit before I had to run to catch my bus. It looks great from first impressions.

I left it on a hanger to get some air and needless to say I'll be a little pre-occupied all day here at work. I'll post pics as fast as I can. I am so excited. :D
IndianaLV
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by IndianaLV »

@bigrex:
NOW it looks perfect on you. :D
By the way, would you say the leather is too thin (I just have to ask this question again and again, everytime I see someone who just received his jacket :lol: ), or just right?
bigrex
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by bigrex »

I wouldn't say it is too thin, but's of course it's one's own personal preference that dictates the answer to that. I think the jacket's "thiness" helps it drape almost like a thick shirt, like it often did in the raiders film. This is probably especially true of the jackets used in the action scenes:

However, I will say it is very thin, so much so, that I would have a hard time believing leather could be made to be much thinner. I don't think you really realize how thin it is even by viewing even it in person, you have to wear it to experience how lightweight of a jacket it is.

Rex
Last edited by bigrex on Mon Feb 11, 2008 1:44 am, edited 3 times in total.
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

This has been posted before, but it always bears repeating.

Don't over tighten your side straps. They were only placed where they are to keep the sides and action pleats from gapping open. They were NEVER installed as a side adjustement for sizing. If you cinch them up to the max, you could very well pop the stitching that hold them to the side seam of the jacket.

As a test, as shown in your first photo above, your jacket cinched tight and fully zipped up, stand sideways and look at yourself in a mirror. Are your action pleats open or closed. If open, the straps are much to tight. Loosen them until the pleats are closed with your arms to your side.

Just a suggestion. We've read of to many sad stories from folks who's straps ripped out of the side seam because they were cinched up like yours are now. :(

Regards! Michaelson
Snakewhip_Sable
Scoundrel

Post by Snakewhip_Sable »

Shtick wrote:Bigrex, very nice setup you've got there! The jacket looks great
Indiana Jerry wrote:I Want To Believe in really tall people
No comment.
Shtick, Jerry, and Bink for scale:

Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

I didn't know they worked for 'scale'. :-k :wink:

Regards! Michaelson
Snakewhip_Sable
Scoundrel

Post by Snakewhip_Sable »

I'm not sure they work at all. They might be defective.
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Post by binkmeisterRick »

I resemble that remark!
Shtick
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Shtick »

It's a good thing I was wearing my rock-hard Dorfman. Some of those doorways were pretty low...
bigrex
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by bigrex »

Thanks for the advice/insight Michaelson. I guess I'll have to find the happy medium and experiment with your instructions. I don't like it cinched up too tightly myself as it stands anyway.

Snakewhip_Sable,
From the preceding photo which looks to be an Indy gathering of some persuasion, I guess there are big people waltzing around, Shtick looks to be approaching the 7'+ range, either that or the other guys (Jerry/Bink) are hovering near the "semi-midgity" side.
Last edited by bigrex on Sun Feb 24, 2008 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.