Why do you Wear a Fedora?

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

Do you wear a fedora as a way of Identifying with Indiana Jones?

Yes
49%
No
51%

Total votes: 132

Rusty Jones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist
Location: Raleigh, NC, Running from the Havitos (my (ex)girlfriends' parents)

Post by Rusty Jones »

I just put yes because I wear my hat most during excavations and if it werent for indy I'd probably wear a slightly bigger hat with a chin strap (more practicle) but the indy look is associated with more adverousity so i go with it instead....

i guess it might be no if im wearing it with a more formal outfit because I was into fedoras and vintage clothes before indygear... but even then my formal outfit is based on dr. jones... more actually based on goodwill and history professors....
eazybox
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by eazybox »

I voted "yes," but I think for me a more accurate response would have been "yes and no."

At the time I first saw Raiders, I was beginning to lose my hair in earnest and was looking for some kind of distinctive -looking hat to cover the diaster area. I thought, "that's perfect-- that's the hat I want!"

At that time, I didn't realize how identified the hat itself would become with the character. I wanted a hat people would associate with me.

The process of trying to find the "right" hat led me to become a big Indy fan, however, and eventually I didn't mind the association. These days, I only wear a fedora occasionally, but I am very fond of my Indy collection and still add to it occasionally; I'm now waiting for my "Crystal Skull" clone, which I hope to wear to the premiere-- along with, apparently, about 20,000,000 other guys. :wink:

Jack
Canada Jones
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Canada Jones »

eazybox wrote:
At that time, I didn't realize how identified the hat itself would become with the character. I wanted a hat people would associate with me.

Jack
Jack:
Thanks for your response. could you expand on the above statement? Do you find that the hat is really identified with Indy? How?
best
Canada
tnitz
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by tnitz »

Thanks for the tip on Vintage Silouettes. Will look them up!
Dr.Seuss
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Dr.Seuss »

In the 80's I wore "it," as Raiders was the rage. Now, I cannot image going out into the rain/snow, etc. without my fedora.

Sincerely,
eazybox
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by eazybox »

[quote="

Jack:
Thanks for your response. could you expand on the above statement? Do you find that the hat is really identified with Indy? How?
best
Canada"[/quote]

Yes, I think that, in the minds of many people, any fedora-shaped hat is now an "Indiana Jones hat"-- or at least was when the first 3 films were in high exposure, and will be again after "Crystal Skull" is released.

Shortly after TOD came out, I was looking for the official hat but didn't know what company manufactured it. I went to the local mall, walked into a clothing store and asked the sales clerk, "Do you happen to sell the Indiana Jones hat?"

"Yes, we do!" she immediately exclaimed, and I couldn't believe my luck-- the first place I tried had exactly what I was looking for!

Well, not quite; she led me to a rack full of straw fedoras with navy blue and red striped ribbons, and brims that looked to be about 1 1/2 inches wide. She told me she and all the other employeees had been having a lot of fun with them and calling them "Indiana Jones hats," so she just assumed that was what I wanted.

When LC came out, it wasn't advertised as "The man with the whip is back," or "the man with the leather jacket is back." It was promoted as "the man with the HAT is back," and most moviegoers knew exactly who was referred to before Indy himself even made an appearance.

The association of Indy with any sort of fedora may not be quite as strong
as Davy Crockett's association with the coonskin cap (whether or not the real Davy ever actually wore one!), but I think it's definitely there, to some extent.

Jack
Canada Jones
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Canada Jones »

Rundquist wrote:Last night I played a gig at some club. I said hello to a fellow trombonist as he walked passed me and he did a double take and said that he didn't recognize me with my "Indiana Jones" hat on. Now he used the word “Indiana Jones” strictly as an adjective. He wasn’t trying to be funny. This is the hat I was wearing:

It’s a blue hat. I was wearing it with the brim up, like in the picture. It looks nothing like an Indiana Jones hat, beyond it being kind of a “big” hat.

I used to wear hats all the time, but have pretty much given them up because I don’t like the extra attention it garners me. I prefer to be more anonymous most of the time. Theoretically, one exception would be when I’m playing music (where it’s ok to be a little flamboyant). But, unfortunately I seldom wear them at gigs either just because a fedora is impractical. I play salsa, where you need to play hard. After a few gigs with sweat pouring down my face while wearing a fedora, I said enough is enough.

It’s sad to me that it’s come to that. The process was gradual. I started by getting rid of all my “authentic” Indiana Jones hats. I decided that I didn’t really like them anyway, beyond the character. I then stopped wearing the bigger, more flamboyant, “Indiana Jones” type hats. I then stopped wearing the jazzier, swankier, smaller hats. I don't want to look like some little creep like Justin Timberlake. These days I’m more often wearing an Irish cap (turned around backwards).

Last night I thought, what the h#ll. After the new movie comes out, I’m not even going to be able to think about wearing a fedora for at least 3 or 4 years. So I went for it. I still got the “Indiana Jones” comment.

There’s something to be said for anonymity. I’d also like to point out that there’s a difference between being afraid to stand out from the crowd and not wanting to stand out from the crowd because you would rather avoid social interaction. If I didn’t have to deal with every jack#$$ on the street harassing me, I’d still wear fedoras, maybe. I don’t need to wear a fedora to be different. I know I’m different (at least in my mind). Cheers
This is a very interesting post - and relates to what eazybox just wrote - that people associate Indy with almost any fedora type hat regardless of color or even material (as in Eazybox's post about the straw hat). Rundquist that is a great hat you are wearing - my son is a musician and has been looking for a hat like that by the way. Where is that one from?
best
Canada
Canada Jones
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Canada Jones »

Rusty Jones wrote:I just put yes because I wear my hat most during excavations and if it werent for indy I'd probably wear a slightly bigger hat with a chin strap (more practicle) but the indy look is associated with more adverousity so i go with it instead....

i guess it might be no if im wearing it with a more formal outfit because I was into fedoras and vintage clothes before indygear... but even then my formal outfit is based on dr. jones... more actually based on goodwill and history professors....
Rusty:
Are you an archaeologist? If so did Indy play any role in this? Anyone else out there get into archaeology because of Indy and then wear the indy costume on digs?
best
Canada
thatguyno1
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by thatguyno1 »

First and foremost, after having two skin cancers removed from my face, my dermatologist told me I needed to start wearing a hat when I was outside. Well, baseball caps don't really function too well since they only shade the portion covered by the bill (depending on how you wear the cap). So to get good coverage I needed something with a 360 degree brim. Since narrow brim hats aren't much better than a baseball cap (and I really don't like the looks of them anyway) I went with the most recognizable wide brim hat I know - the Indy fedora. I voted "No" because if it hadn't been for my doctor telling me to wear a hat I probably wouldn't be wearing one today except for the occasional ballcap to just keep the sun out of my eyes.

Having said all that - now that I do wear a fedora - I love it. I own an AB beaver ToD and have the RoLA and KotCS on order. I also own a less expensive Aussie style wool fedora and I use a straw cowboy style for working in the yard. I don't just wear my ToD on sunny days either. It keeps my head cooler in summer, warmer in winter, dry on rainy days, and I get nothing but compliments about it.

Paul
Canada Jones
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Canada Jones »

mercat wrote:I'm going to say yes, but I think it's more of in line with Indy's character rather than "Indy for the heck of it" (which is what everyone else seems to be saying, as well). Um, if that makes sense. =P

I have always been a hat person, I'm pretty sure I got it from my mom. She wears hats all the time and I remember her saying on several occassions when I was little that "you have to have confidence to wear a hat" because no one wears hats much anymore. So to me, hat-wearers always have a bit more character than those who don't.

So in my collection of hats, my fedora is the one that I would wear if I'm feeling more of an adventurous mood. (Though, I don't know if I'll keep this hat much longer--I got it in seventh grade b/c I figured my parents would buy a $100 hat for me, but it's not very accurate [it's the "official" one] and I think investing in a better-looking and higher-quality one would be good now that I have my own job and everything.) However, there's also my silly winter-hats (colorful yarns and poofs and tassels and such), my Christmas hat (a green felt beret with two gorgeous curlicues), my costumey hats (neon plastic fedoras from a New Year's party, a purple tophat from another one, and a gold plastic glitter fedora from an annual "pimps and 'ho's" party), and my new Swiss antique band hat (picked up for a costume, but also has some sentimental value as my family name is Swiss and we are big on music). I also have a purple foamy-felt fedora that I wear when I'm feeling particularly tropical (or Jimmy-Buffett-ish), as I have attached a pink fake hibiscus to the side. (This one is slowly, very slowly, working its way to becoming my avatar.) Also on the wishlist is a leather tricorner because my friends and I enjoy dressing like pirates, and I have a connection to tricorners from high school band (we were the Marching Patriots, and I have a lot of pride in those uniforms).

OK, so that's enough for the background information. =P I think much like the other posts so far, it's not so much Dressing Up as Indy-the-Costume but Becoming-Indy-the-Person. I can't say Indy hasn't had a big impact on my life. In gradeschool my girl scout troop went to COSI Columbus where I discovered the area called Adventure (a "dig site" with mysterious gods-statues that gave clues) and was instantly hooked. Because of that my parents introduced me to Indiana Jones and from researching the creators of Adventure I have gone from wanting to be an architect to possibly designing movie sets or theme park attractions or hotel attractions or interactive museum displays. (Or Extreme Interior Design... haha)

So... I came here long ago before I could create an account because of Indy obsession, and recently because my friend got me into costuming as an art. But I don't think I'm going to put as much detail and scrutiny into the search for other gear as much as the hat. Then again, I love the crowd here and could be around for ages, so who knows. :lol: Though Indiana Jones is one of my more favorite fandoms, there are so many that have had an affect on me and helping me define who I am or want to be that it all makes me think that it's a lot more than a search for screen-accurate costume. I think the community here is a testament to that fact, as we're not just a bunch of cosplayers trading the tricks of the trade.

Anyway... my post is probably a little ranty and long-winded (and poorly organized, heh), buuuuut... hopefully it's of some help to you. :D
Mercat. Your response was great and appreciated. And yes, helpful. I have been offline over the holidays and just getting back to the forum so apologies for the long delay. I was always a hat person like yourself and it sounds the fedora is the one for adventure for you. This really is what I am trying to dig into and figure out if the fedora is "the adventure hat" because of Indiana Jones. Happy New year by the way.,
Best
Canada
Justinian
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Justinian »

I do not wear a fedora to identify with Indiana Jones, although I am certainly a fan of these movies. I wear a fedora because I like it. They look good on my head and help me to continue a male family tradition, i.e., my grandfather and father wore a fedora and I am following suit. I also think a fedora marks a man as a gentleman, a man of class and dignity...without making a fashion statement. In short, the fedora is THE man's hat par excellence!
CM
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by CM »

I was drawn to the films beacuse I already wore a wide brim hat. I would not EVER dress as Indiana Jones. My hats do not have a ribbon. I dress more like Adam Savage from Mythbusters (but not deliberately so). The hat is necessary to me because I burn in the sun and I live in a sunny country. Very few people comment on the hat. I think they would if I had a fedora with a ribbon, which makes them look a bit more showy and quaint. I wear Akubras only. A Drover and a Cattleman. I also only wear them in light brown/fawn. The darker the hat the warmer it feels and it also attracts more attention. I rarely wear my hat in winter.

I don't like the retro look all that much and think of my hats as belonging to the present era. Having said that, I don't like modern clothing that tries to be fashionable or any that has any form of writing on it. Hope that helps.

Cheers
Canada Jones
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Canada Jones »

CM wrote:I was drawn to the films beacuse I already wore a wide brim hat. I would not EVER dress as Indiana Jones. My hats do not have a ribbon. I dress more like Adam Savage from Mythbusters (but not deliberately so). The hat is necessary to me because I burn in the sun and I live in a sunny country. Very few people comment on the hat. I think they would if I had a fedora with a ribbon, which makes them look a bit more showy and quaint. I wear Akubras only. A Drover and a Cattleman. I also only wear them in light brown/fawn. The darker the hat the warmer it feels and it also attracts more attention. I rarely wear my hat in winter.

I don't like the retro look all that much and think of my hats as belonging to the present era. Having said that, I don't like modern clothing that tries to be fashionable or any that has any form of writing on it. Hope that helps.

Cheers
I have never heard that about the darker the hat the more attention. I too enjoy a broad brimmed hat in the sun. Much better than just a ball cap. I have a Tilley hat which is cotton and is a khaki color. Very few comments about it when i wear it. I guess because it is cotton and they are a fairly popular travel hat people do not think much of it. I also think your comment about the ribbon probably also has something to do with the Indy look.
\thanks for your comments
best
Canada
Canada Jones
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Canada Jones »

Justinian wrote:I do not wear a fedora to identify with Indiana Jones, although I am certainly a fan of these movies. I wear a fedora because I like it. They look good on my head and help me to continue a male family tradition, i.e., my grandfather and father wore a fedora and I am following suit. I also think a fedora marks a man as a gentleman, a man of class and dignity...without making a fashion statement. In short, the fedora is THE man's hat par excellence!
I saw your post in another thread where you listed the hats you have and it sounds like this is about other things. Do you think your interest in Indy has anything to do with the fact you enjoy fedoras and he also wears one - perhaps he is a representative of an age you might have enjoyed living in?
thanks
Canada
gi_canuck
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by gi_canuck »

I wear it cause no one else my age does any more and it looks sooo cool, not to mention classy. I get complements about my hat everywhere I go. FYI Mine is a HB from Todd which I bashed myself.
Rook
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Rook »

A qualified yes. I wear mine mainly to keep the rain or sun off my head.

It's my rain headgear of choice. :)

Russ
Canada Jones
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Canada Jones »

Rook wrote:A qualified yes. I wear mine mainly to keep the rain or sun off my head.

It's my rain headgear of choice. :)

Russ
Actually I think a fedora is excellent in the rain. I gave up umbrella's along time ago. Thanks for your comments
best
Canada
Canada Jones
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Canada Jones »

gi_canuck wrote:I wear it cause no one else my age does any more and it looks sooo cool, not to mention classy. I get complements about my hat everywhere I go. FYI Mine is a HB from Todd which I bashed myself.
The hat is classy and sadly few people wear then anymore. Do the compliments ever compare you to indy?
best
Canada
Chevalier Krak
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Chevalier Krak »

I didn't vote because I'd have to vote both ways. I wore fedoras from the time I was 17 until I was in my late 20s, from about 1967 to 1977. I also wore several other hat styles then, including cowboy, top hat, bowler and baseball, but the fedora (I had a couple of Salvation Army oldies, very SA :D ). Then I stopped wearing any hats except helmets for kayaking, biking and rock climbing and ski or skin hats in the winter. So that was the "No" part. But since joining this group, I have bought 2 fedoras, neither of which I have in had yet. One is an AB, for which I have been waiting about a year, and the other is a Stetson I got from Dr. Suess to tide me over. (ETA this week.) I never would have gotten either if it weren't for this group and the Indy ID, so I'd have to say "yes" also.
Canada Jones
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Canada Jones »

dwardeden wrote:I didn't vote because I'd have to vote both ways. I wore fedoras from the time I was 17 until I was in my late 20s, from about 1967 to 1977. I also wore several other hat styles then, including cowboy, top hat, bowler and baseball, but the fedora (I had a couple of Salvation Army oldies, very SA :D ). Then I stopped wearing any hats except helmets for kayaking, biking and rock climbing and ski or skin hats in the winter. So that was the "No" part. But since joining this group, I have bought 2 fedoras, neither of which I have in had yet. One is an AB, for which I have been waiting about a year, and the other is a Stetson I got from Dr. Suess to tide me over. (ETA this week.) I never would have gotten either if it weren't for this group and the Indy ID, so I'd have to say "yes" also.
Do you think though that you wear the fedora now because Indy rekindled your love for fedoras not necessarily because you are trying to somehow identify with Indy?
thanks for your comments
Canada
greatestescaper
Grail Recovery Volunteer
Grail Recovery Volunteer

Post by greatestescaper »

i hate to do this but its yes and no... i love the culture of the 30's 40's.. i love glenn miller (in the mood)... and i have some amazing pictures of my great grandfather from that time... he was very daper (hope i spelled that right).. and i love adventure... and so adventure plus the 30's 40's= indiana jones... so if i had to i'd lean towards it being because i love indiana jones...
Canada Jones
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Canada Jones »

greatestescaper wrote:i hate to do this but its yes and no... i love the culture of the 30's 40's.. i love glenn miller (in the mood)... and i have some amazing pictures of my great grandfather from that time... he was very daper (hope i spelled that right).. and i love adventure... and so adventure plus the 30's 40's= indiana jones... so if i had to i'd lean towards it being because i love indiana jones...

I must say we are at 91 votes and it is still a dead heat. I must say i am very surprised by this. I would have thought it would have been more imbalanced.

Greatescaper - I think your response is similar to many - love the fedora and Indy gives us another reason to wear it. Actually I think there may also be an argument that Indy's hat has also inspired a better hat (the AB and the AB deluxe) in an era where hats are not widely worn.
thanks for your responses - keep em coming! Even if you just vote it would be appreciated.
best
Canada
lingarn
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by lingarn »

I voted no.

For as long as I can remember, I've associated fedoras with good taste (with an apparent disregard for modern fashion).

As far as comments go, since my regular fedora is black and I have a tendency to have a long beard/uncut hair, the only one I've received was something about a rabbi. :wink:
swcrazyfan
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by swcrazyfan »

I love hats, and when my older brother bought me a fedora, I fell in love with them. I do not own a Indy one yet, however, I am looking around right now about getting one. I can't wait!
gi_canuck
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by gi_canuck »

Canada Jones wrote:
gi_canuck wrote:I wear it cause no one else my age does any more and it looks sooo cool, not to mention classy. I get complements about my hat everywhere I go. FYI Mine is a HB from Todd which I bashed myself.
The hat is classy and sadly few people wear then anymore. Do the compliments ever compare you to indy?
best
Canada
Mostly not. Kind of lucky that way since I live on campus and a lot of young college students don't even know who Indiana Jones is... (and I literally wear my Indy gear everyday...leather jacket and everything...sans the whip and pistol of course...haha I find them very practical and comfy.) They usually comment on how 'unique' the hat looks and want to find out where I got it from... One girl actually told me that I reminded her of "Crocodile Dundee" haha, beats me where she got that idea from, but it was funny. Older people sometimes point it out and go "Oh, you look like Indiana Jones", but it only happens when I am wearing most of the gear. When I wear my suit, people just compliment on how classy I look with the hat... that's about it. The hat kicks major butt in bars though... Do some swing moves and girls go crazy... haha... Hope that answered your question...
DanielJones
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by DanielJones »

I think I wear a fedora more so to identify with an era. The romanticized view of what we perceive the 30's & 40's were and looked like. That and they're mighty fine head wear that makes one stand apart instead of blending in.

Cheers!

Dan
Canada Jones
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Canada Jones »

lingarn wrote:I voted no.

For as long as I can remember, I've associated fedoras with good taste (with an apparent disregard for modern fashion).

As far as comments go, since my regular fedora is black and I have a tendency to have a long beard/uncut hair, the only one I've received was something about a rabbi. :wink:
First let me welcome you to COW. Thank you also for your comments. HOw many hats do you have and how many Indy hats do you own?
thanks
Canada[/quote]
Canada Jones
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Canada Jones »

gi_canuck wrote:
Canada Jones wrote:
best
Canada
Mostly not. Kind of lucky that way since I live on campus and a lot of young college students don't even know who Indiana Jones is... (and I literally wear my Indy gear everyday...leather jacket and everything...sans the whip and pistol of course...haha I find them very practical and comfy.) They usually comment on how 'unique' the hat looks and want to find out where I got it from... One girl actually told me that I reminded her of "Crocodile Dundee" haha, beats me where she got that idea from, but it was funny. Older people sometimes point it out and go "Oh, you look like Indiana Jones", but it only happens when I am wearing most of the gear. When I wear my suit, people just compliment on how classy I look with the hat... that's about it. The hat kicks major butt in bars though... Do some swing moves and girls go crazy... haha... Hope that answered your question...
I would be interested to see if you get more comments from the college crowd when the new Indy movie opens. Thanks for your comments and the tips about the swing moves!
best
Canada
Canada Jones
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Canada Jones »

DanielJones wrote:I think I wear a fedora more so to identify with an era. The romanticized view of what we perceive the 30's & 40's were and looked like. That and they're mighty fine head wear that makes one stand apart instead of blending in.

Cheers!

Dan
I am with you on the 30s and 40s. Love that era and movies about it. Must say I am disappointed that the new Indy movie happens much later but understand it makes sense with Harrison Ford's age. Yes, the fedora is mighty fine headwear.
best
Canada
alanseijas
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by alanseijas »

I voted 'No' because that is the answer today. Ask me the same question last year, and it would've been a 'yes'.

I was looking through a 'Herrington' catalog and saw that they had the Official Indiana Jones Hat available. After considering when the heck I would wear it, it struck me as something I'd be interested in owning anyway. It came with an Indiana badge which I ended up removing so as to not identify with the movie so much. I wore that wool hat so often that it faded into an orange color.

I now have the Akubra Adventurer. I still get the "Hey look, it's Indy!" jokes all the time, but it doesn't bother me at all. One guy even called me Freddy Kruger. I know that deep down they wish they had the guts to wear such a cool hat. 8) I'm the only one that I know around here (NJ) that does.

I can't say that I am looking forward to hearing all the jokes spark up again after the new movie comes out, but who knows; maybe some other people will pick up on the idea and realize that I had mine way before they did!
MK
Admin Emeritus

Post by MK »

*message deleted by the author*
Last edited by MK on Sat May 24, 2008 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Yeah, but some folks look like they were born wear them, MK.....folks like, well, you. :wink:

Regards! Michaelson
Canada Jones
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Canada Jones »

Michaelson wrote:Yeah, but some folks look like they were born wear them, MK.....folks like, well, you. :wink:

Regards! Michaelson
Michaelson -Agreed. MK - Hat looks great on you. (Is that NYC?)Actually i think the fedora is a great looking hat. Guess I am glad Indy wore that kind of hat and not a sombrero or something like that.

Alanseijas - I have the official Indy hat as well. bought it from a friend who had long since removed the pin. It will be interesting to see if people say anything once the new movie comes out and yes I bet they wish they had the guts to wear a hat like that.
best
Canada
alanseijas
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by alanseijas »

Canada, My "Official" Indy Hat has a full teardrop crown with a rounded rear. Not very official if you ask me...

I did put a small teardrop on my Akubra because I felt it went too high on my head, but it still has the pointed rear.

Thanks for the comment on the guts!
Canada Jones
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Canada Jones »

alanseijas wrote:Canada, My "Official" Indy Hat has a full teardrop crown with a rounded rear. Not very official if you ask me...

I did put a small teardrop on my Akubra because I felt it went too high on my head, but it still has the pointed rear.

Thanks for the comment on the guts!
Hey us hat wearers have to stick together. The way I look at it what do i really care what people think about what I wear on my head. I love hats with brims all the way around. I remember once I wore a cowboy hat back from Montana - fine in Montana but by the time I got to Chicago I was being called "tex". Hey, I also wore a tricorner hat back from Virginia once. Got lots of looks but I have a sense of humor so it was fine.
best
Canada
CM
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by CM »

Canada Jones wrote:
Michaelson wrote:Yeah, but some folks look like they were born wear them, MK.....folks like, well, you. :wink:

Regards! Michaelson
Michaelson -Agreed. MK - Hat looks great on you. (Is that NYC?)Actually i think the fedora is a great looking hat. Guess I am glad Indy wore that kind of hat and not a sombrero or something like that.
Canada
It's interesting to ponder, Canada, what would have happened if the IJ costume had taken a differnet period look, say a cloth cap with a corduroy jacket... What role did the costume have in capturing people's imagination?
Canada Jones
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Canada Jones »

CM wrote:
Canada Jones wrote:

Regards! Michaelson
Canada
It's interesting to ponder, Canada, what would have happened if the IJ costume had taken a differnet period look, say a cloth cap with a corduroy jacket... What role did the costume have in capturing people's imagination?
This is why I ask the question. It seems it is a fairly even split on the poll, which actually surprises me. I think the Indy stuff hits a cord with people who love the 40s and fedoras etc. and like it because they would even without Indy. I think if he wore a different outfit it would appeal to a different group although I do think there are those of us who like the Indy character regardless of his costume
best
Canada
DanielJones
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by DanielJones »

I think Indy was a catylist for those under 40 to wear fedoras with their everyday wear, and their first lid was some sort of Indy hat or something that resembled it. But it is still the era & not the character that drives most. But they also feel a bit of the adventurer when they don the lid too. It's just plain nice to feel like one stands apart from the crowd, whether you dress to feel the era or the character. Class will never go out of style.

Cheers!

Dan
Canada Jones
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Canada Jones »

DanielJones wrote:I think Indy was a catylist for those under 40 to wear fedoras with their everyday wear, and their first lid was some sort of Indy hat or something that resembled it. But it is still the era & not the character that drives most. But they also feel a bit of the adventurer when they don the lid too. It's just plain nice to feel like one stands apart from the crowd, whether you dress to feel the era or the character. Class will never go out of style.

Cheers!

Dan
Dan:
I am not sure this is clear to me though. From the survey, it looks like half the people who responded to the poll wear the hat because of Indy. There is a lot of focus on screen accurate hats and if it was just about any fedora do you think people would care? I think the fedora is a classy hat and it is great Indy wears a great hat but I am sure if he wore a different hat we would see people hear looking for that hat. I mean look at the hunt for the illusive Gray indy travel hat. Sorry the fire alarm is going off here so I have to go!
best
Canada
DanielJones
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by DanielJones »

Ah, maybe I didn't make it clear. Being drowsy doesn't help the matter. Ok, for me, It started with an Indy hat years ago. The old wool Stetson Indy. I saw plenty or wear but got shelved eventually. Then, discovering a hat shop in Virginia City when I was living out in Nevada, the love affair with the fedora took root again. Then I found the Fedora Lounge & COW & the roller coaster ride of an era struck me & took off like a wild fire. The majority of my fedoras are non-Indy, my only two are from Camptown Hats ( brown & grey) & I tried to make those as screen accurate as possible. So yes, I would identify with Indy but mostly the era. Hopefully that is clear since it is nearly midnight.

Cheers!

Dan
Marcus Brody
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Marcus Brody »

I would say no. I wear it to identify with a lot of different thing including Indiana Jones. It just happens that I like a lot of things where characters wear a fedora. Heck, I couldn't stand the fact that The Phantom of the Opera in the adaptation of the play didn't wear one as he should have (I can't stand that movie in general though). Also, my grandfather was sort of a role model for me, and he wore one. When I was little I used to match him by wearing a 3 piece pinstripe with a hat.
Tennessee Smith
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Tennessee Smith »

I wear mine because I like the look, which comes from the look from Indy and classic films.

My wife pointed out to me the other day that Fedora's were worn largely during New York’s last fashion week. I can't remember which designer she said, but one of them specifically said he was trying to bring back the gentleman’s hat. I think that would be very nice to see again. Hey, if bell-bottoms and hip huggers can come back why not a hat, huh?
eazybox
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by eazybox »

Marcus Brody wrote:I would say no. I wear it to identify with a lot of different thing including Indiana Jones. It just happens that I like a lot of things where characters wear a fedora. Heck, I couldn't stand the fact that The Phantom of the Opera in the adaptation of the play didn't wear one as he should have (I can't stand that movie in general though). Also, my grandfather was sort of a role model for me, and he wore one. When I was little I used to match him by wearing a 3 piece pinstripe with a hat.
I had the same reaction when I saw "Robin Hood, Prince of Thieves" years ago. I remember being so disappointed that Kevin Costner never wore a hat in that movie that it almost seemed to me as though he wasn't really playing Robin Hood. Of course, Robin Hood's hat wasn't a fedora, but still...a movie hero needs his hat, if his character is already strongly identified with one. Imagine the outrage it would have created if they decided to dispense with Indy's hat in KOTCS!

Jack
Dr. Nebraska S.

Post by Dr. Nebraska S. »

Canada, best of luck on your project, and hope you don't mind a fellow academic giving you perhaps too thorough of an answer. :wink: I'm going to say "yes" because it probably is one factor among others which got me interested in wearing fedoras. A friend of mine mentioned that when he went on archaeological digs, he often noticed that while on most days the site leader wore just some sort of large-brimmed canvas hat, when the occasional film crew would show up for a documentary the site leader would don a brown fedora right before they arrived. As someone who is transitioning from graduate student to a professor, and who depends upon archaeological findings for my own research, of course there is appeal for identifying with a fictional professor of archaeology.

Yet (and maybe this seems contradictory) I don't want to exactly imitate or present anyone with the idea that such an identification means I have erroneously confused myself as being a real-life version of this fictional character. Nor would I want such identification to subsume my own individuality. The handful of times I've received a "hey Indy" comment when younger used to be annoying because instead of someone assuming that I've incorporated a style that I like and made it my own, s/he assumes I'm "pretending" to be someone I'm not.

Growing up on a farm/ranch, I've worn brimmed hats for practical reasons virtually all of my life. They're simply practical in those circumstances. Hats may not be as necessary in the city, but sporting a fedora also feels like a sort of continuity with the cowboy hats I grew up wearing while also signaling that I'm living in an urban setting now. In fact, I'm looking forward to getting to wear a Federation or someday my AB when I go back to the midwest--people out there seem to appreciate good hats even more.

Finally, I love history, and maybe I'm just nostalgic for the men's fashion of yesteryear. I saw a photograph of my great-grandfather the other day, wearing a fedora. I think many people here would agree that it's too bad more of them aren't worn today. Now I enjoy wearing my Akubra with a sport jacket when I go to teach class, or with a suit to a conference, or even with a jacket to go take my wife out on a date. And I think it's helped me notice more that there are still gentlemen (and ladies) that wear something more than a ball cap even out here in California. 8)
bleyd
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by bleyd »

I've always worn hats as long as I can remember. I chose the fedora originally because of Humphrey Bogart and that era. When Raiders came out I liked the style of that character and saught his outfit out. Being in High School I had to settle for Stetson but every few years I seem to upgrade. Right now I'm in a baseball cap obsession but mostly due to being work caps. I still prefer felt or wool over ballcaps.
Wish I had alot of the hats I used to have but alas with all my travels alot of them have been lost or stolen. But that just gives me an excuse to get a new one. :wink:
Canada Jones
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Canada Jones »

eazybox wrote:
Marcus Brody wrote:I would say no. I wear it to identify with a lot of different thing including Indiana Jones. It just happens that I like a lot of things where characters wear a fedora. Heck, I couldn't stand the fact that The Phantom of the Opera in the adaptation of the play didn't wear one as he should have (I can't stand that movie in general though). Also, my grandfather was sort of a role model for me, and he wore one. When I was little I used to match him by wearing a 3 piece pinstripe with a hat.
I had the same reaction when I saw "Robin Hood, Prince of Thieves" years ago. I remember being so disappointed that Kevin Costner never wore a hat in that movie that it almost seemed to me as though he wasn't really playing Robin Hood. Of course, Robin Hood's hat wasn't a fedora, but still...a movie hero needs his hat, if his character is already strongly identified with one. Imagine the outrage it would have created if they decided to dispense with Indy's hat in KOTCS!

Jack
Jack:
This answer really struck a cord with me. I really enjoyed Costner's Robin Hood and do not think I consciously noticed the missing hat but now that you mention it the hat was an important part of the character. Heck, even Rocket Robin Hood wore the hat. Yes, what would other movie characters who are known for their headwear do without their hats! and yes, if Indy was sans hat in the next one i am sure there would be an outrage.
best
Canada
Canada Jones
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Canada Jones »

Nebraska Schulte wrote:Canada, best of luck on your project, and hope you don't mind a fellow academic giving you perhaps too thorough of an answer. :wink: 8)
Nebraska:
Of course I don't mind and indeed welcome it! Interesting story about the guy on the dig changing his hat before the film crew arrives. Never heard of that before - wonder if others here at COW have come across this phenomenon.

What is your area of graduate study and do you have a teaching position yet?
best
Canada
Dr. Nebraska S.

Post by Dr. Nebraska S. »

Canada Jones wrote: Nebraska:
Of course I don't mind and indeed welcome it! Interesting story about the guy on the dig changing his hat before the film crew arrives. Never heard of that before - wonder if others here at COW have come across this phenomenon.

What is your area of graduate study and do you have a teaching position yet?
best
Canada
Hi Canada,

It's in Hebrew Bible, and I have an adjunct position this year teaching intro to biblical Hebrew. It's really nice to be teaching after all these years as a student (and I don't mind having students call me "Professor" too much, either :wink: )
Sergei
Admin Emeritus
Location: Off the grid, in from the cold - Jack's Canyon ~1119

Post by Sergei »

I agree with Rundquist's experiences. Wearing a fedora in public, even without the jacket draws so much attention. Now with the publicity of the new movie coming, the attention now is anyone wearing a fedora is associating to that character again. I even went into a period of just wearing western hats just to break the association because frankly wearing protection from the sun and rain, the fedora is utilitarian. However, in the field it's much different. A wide brimmed hat is a necessity - it provides warmth in the winter, blocks the sun's harmful rays in the non-winter months, shields the back of the neck from debris when bushwhacking... it even serves as a vessel for water when drinking from a stream or lake. Fellow hikers on the back country trails, don't even give it 2nd thought. Even communities where the trail heads exist - no comments. But wearing it urban areas, the comments are frequent and annoying. The only exception are places like Las Vegas where family and friends find me easy to spot where I am a 6 footer, but with the fedora I am 6 foot 6, easy to spot me breaking through the crowds. However, saying that most of the time, it's a less complicated life where you just blend in. In the corporate world, the pressures are enormous to conform, but still you can differentiate with wearing clothes that are not faddish, but classical. Just my .02....
Canada Jones
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Canada Jones »

Sergei wrote:I agree with Rundquist's experiences. Wearing a fedora in public, even without the jacket draws so much attention. Now with the publicity of the new movie coming, the attention now is anyone wearing a fedora is associating to that character again. I even went into a period of just wearing western hats just to break the association because frankly wearing protection from the sun and rain, the fedora is utilitarian. However, in the field it's much different. A wide brimmed hat is a necessity - it provides warmth in the winter, blocks the sun's harmful rays in the non-winter months, shields the back of the neck from debris when bushwhacking... it even serves as a vessel for water when drinking from a stream or lake. Fellow hikers on the back country trails, don't even give it 2nd thought. Even communities where the trail heads exist - no comments. But wearing it urban areas, the comments are frequent and annoying. The only exception are places like Las Vegas where family and friends find me easy to spot where I am a 6 footer, but with the fedora I am 6 foot 6, easy to spot me breaking through the crowds. However, saying that most of the time, it's a less complicated life where you just blend in. In the corporate world, the pressures are enormous to conform, but still you can differentiate with wearing clothes that are not faddish, but classical. Just my .02....
Yes, the hat is very useful and great if you are going through crowds. I taught a summer course in England for 13 summers and I had many students comment on how helpful the hat was when leading through downtown London (and looks a lot better than holding an umbrella in the air like many tour guides do).
best
Canada