Possibles Bags?

Bags, Boots, Shirts and all other gear should be discussed here.

Moderators: Mike, Cajunkraut, Tennessee Smith

Blumburt Jr
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Blumburt Jr »

Those leather satchel style bags look great, but I think I prefer the Belstaff bags - very 'spirit of Indy' (for when a MkVII just isn't enough...)

Can someone please tell me the dimensions of the large and regular shoulder bags?

Rgds,
Blumburt Jr
Captain Ron Solo
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Captain Ron Solo »

Hey Browncoat,
Any chance we can get a pic of both bags side by side for size comparison?

Ron
Browncoat
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Browncoat »

Cooncat: I had a bag similar to that one that I used for camping way back when....I think they are called haversacks. I always thought that was what Indy used...of course that was before the internet and the wealth of info it’s provided over the last decade or so.

CRS: I'll try when I get my camera back. It's out on loan atm. The bags are really apples and oranges in comparison. The Saddleback Bag has so much more space/volume than the Belstaff. However, the Belstaff is a bit more convenient "on the go".

Daily now, I've been using the Saddleback since I got it. It's a really good all purpose bag. I originally ordered the 18 inch one in chestnut but returned it because it was HUGE. It was comparable to a piece of luggage and the color was different than it looked on my monitor. It reminded me of a darker version of the Alden 405s. When I ask to exchange it, I got the 14 inch bag in coffee brown which ended up being perfect in look, size, and functionality.

Shipping for each bag took about 5 business days or so since Dave used UPS Ground. Great person to deal with, awesome products, excellent communication and customer service!
Rabittooth
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Rabittooth »

I undertook the quest for a manbag that had an Indy feel to it not too long ago, and finally settled on this:

http://www.amazon.com/Urban-Explorer-Ca ... 398&sr=8-2

The first pic is just to show scale:

I took the clear plastic card holder off, but that was the only modification I made. (although I'm sorely tempted to distress it. :P )

The bag is cheap, durable, light, has plenty of room for my stuff, a bunch of cool little useful compartments.
I've bought a bunch of these bags in search of the right one, and this is definitely it. I might sew a strip of olive webbing to the top to act as a handle for when I just want to grab it and go or when taking it off as it only has the long strap right now, but overall I'm pretty happy with it.
Pretty masculine for a pocketbook, the price is right and it's meeting my needs perfectly so far.

-Rabittooth
nicktheguy
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by nicktheguy »

If it ain't a man bag it's a 'murse' ---but I have them too. Guys today have too much stuff to stick in their back pocket.
IndyFlyer
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by IndyFlyer »

Great bag! That is until you step on and break the plastic quick release buckle (which I've done) and end up with a useless strap. If we can modify it with a metal buckle of some sort, that bag is a sure winner. Keep your feet off of it in dark hotel rooms and the buckle is not an issue. For the moeny, I want one regardless. Thanks for the post!
Rabittooth
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Rabittooth »

Yep...you named my one major problem with the bag...it's plastic hardware. The funny thing is...I have bought and tried so many similar bags, that I DO have the metal hardware, but the idea of trying to sew them in by hand to replace the plastic with metal is daunting because of the thick canvas, and my almost non-existant sewing skills. My wife might do it if I asked her, but still...pain in the butt.

:lol:

-Rabittooth
Canada Jones
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Canada Jones »

IndyFlyer wrote:Great bag! That is until you step on and break the plastic quick release buckle (which I've done) and end up with a useless strap. If we can modify it with a metal buckle of some sort, that bag is a sure winner. Keep your feet off of it in dark hotel rooms and the buckle is not an issue. For the moeny, I want one regardless. Thanks for the post!
I take it you have broken these walking on it in a dark hotel room? Ihave lots of stuff with the plastic clips - let's face it, most bags now have the plastic clip. Not ideal but lighter and work great for the most part.
best
Canada
cooncatbob
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by cooncatbob »

Here's what I ended up with. Camel leather made by in India on an old treadle Singer converted to electricity. I use it daily, got my camera, Altoids and various other necessities of life.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Now THAT is one cool, professional looking bag, my friend!

HIGH regard! Michaelson
Captain Ron Solo
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Well, I got a brand new Saddleback bag! Some of the distinct features of the older bags had begun causing some problems for me. Namely, the shoulder strap anchor points way back in the day were not as strong as they are now with the new design. Anyway, Dave is a businessman of the utmost integrity, and when I offered to send mine back to be repaired, he sent me a brand new bag. The 400 year guarantee that he boasts on his website and auctions is not just talk.
My old bag was awesome, but it doesn't compare to his newer bags, as I'm sure Ydam and Browncoat would attest. As pleased as I am to get the new bag, it is sad to send the old one back. I'm sure I'll get over it, though. :)
I just got the new bag, so I haven't gotten a chance to get any pics, but I'll probably post some later today.

Ron
IndigoJuliet
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by IndigoJuliet »

Wandering around London and going to work I got sick of carrying a backpack, but I also wanted something I can take up into the hills around Wales and travel easily with. This is kinda in the same vain as the gas mask bag but is acutally an updated medics bag.
http://www.maxpedition.com/store/pc/vie ... dproduct=6

I have found it very hardy and pratcial for day to day and even "bush walking" for those of you who "ccw" there is a nice compartment to hide your toy.

Its a FATBOY S-TYPE™ VERSIPACK, they have some nice gear
Captain Ron Solo
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

IndigoJuliet,
That is very cool. Definitely ideal for the outdoorsman. I have to show my ignorance, though - what is CCW? :oops:

Ron
Rabittooth
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Rabittooth »

Captain Ron Solo wrote:IndigoJuliet,
That is very cool. Definitely ideal for the outdoorsman. I have to show my ignorance, though - what is CCW? :oops:

Ron
I'm almost positive CC is concealed carry.
W may be...weapon?

-Rabittooth
nicktheguy
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by nicktheguy »

I thought it meant "Carry Congealed Weiners" ... you know, for snacks... :D
Chevalier Krak
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Chevalier Krak »

Carry the wieners long enough and they are weapons in the hands of a master.
Indiana G
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Indiana G »

Browncoat wrote:Hard to find and definitely not cheap, but I have one of these for general purposes.

I wish it was a little bigger because, it can fall into the man bag category. :lol:
browncoat...you lucky son of a...... :P

i'd kill to have one of those bags. i've been searching myself for it but you are right.....very hard to come by.

i opted for this kakadu bag. it's on its way as we speak. i think it has great character:

Doug C
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Doug C »

Where did you find that, G ?

Doug C
Indiana G
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Indiana G »

hours of searching the web.....googling belstaff colonial bag, then surplus shoulder bag, then canvas bag, then vintage canvas bags.....finally found these bags made by kakadu (google it). you can get a utility bag, bowling bag, bum bag (bum bags are funny :lol: ), and this bag. alot of places (hatcountry.com, e-bay, etc.) offer these bags around $50 to $60 but there's a place:

http://www.vtarmynavy.com

that offers these for like $37 or so. then they are having a sale on bags so the bag is discounted another $5 give or take.....unfortunately for me, shipping was like $32 or $35. i guess it works out to be the same price if the other places have cheaper shipping.

it sounds like its a decent size for a shoulder/duffle bag. can't wait to get her :D
Doug C
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Doug C »

cool, thanks for the info - give us a better picture when it arrives please.

Doug C
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Post by binkmeisterRick »

G, when you get your kakadu bag, could you post a comparison pic with it and a MkVII? I'd be interested to see how they compare in size. I like the looks of that bag, though!
cooncatbob
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by cooncatbob »

The Kakadu satchel is a nice looking bag, very rugged.
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Bob, between your bag and the Kakadu, I'm having a hard time making up my mind which one I want! :lol:
cooncatbob
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by cooncatbob »

binkmeisterRick wrote:Bob, between your bag and the Kakadu, I'm having a hard time making up my mind which one I want! :lol:
The Kakadu satchel (18 by 17) is much larger then my bag (9.5 by 11)
Cover your bases and get one of each. :lol:
Bob.

http://www.vtarmynavy.com/kakadu-satchel.htm
Indiana G
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Indiana G »

binkmeisterRick wrote:G, when you get your kakadu bag, could you post a comparison pic with it and a MkVII? I'd be interested to see how they compare in size. I like the looks of that bag, though!
will do binky :D
t.d
Grail Recovery Volunteer
Grail Recovery Volunteer

Post by t.d »

some of these are really technical. I just use this simple one for my books and laptop.

binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

cooncatbob wrote:
binkmeisterRick wrote:Bob, between your bag and the Kakadu, I'm having a hard time making up my mind which one I want! :lol:
The Kakadu satchel (18 by 17) is much larger then my bag (9.5 by 11)
Cover your bases and get one of each. :lol:
Bob.

http://www.vtarmynavy.com/kakadu-satchel.htm

:lol: You think I hadn't thought of that? Time to go wallet collecting again. :wink:
Captain Ron Solo
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

t.d.,
Your bag looks a lot like a newer version of the bag that Josh Bernstien carried on "Digging for the Truth," on the History channel. I like it. :tup:

I meant to have pics of my new bag up by now, but the new semester started up this week, and I've been swamped. #-o I'll try this weekend. It basically looks just like Browncoat's Saddleback back, but in the 16" size.

Ron
IndigoJuliet
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by IndigoJuliet »

Apologies Ron I have been in Moscow for the week... yes

concealed carry whips.. .;)
Captain Ron Solo
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Ok. Here are a couple of pics of my new bag.
This is a big, beefy bag, and I couldn't be happier with it. :)

Ron
Captain Ron Solo
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Browncoat,
I'm even more envious of your Belstaff bag after having seen I Am Legend. :mrgreen: Those bags are more sought-after as time goes by and they keep showing up in movies. Definitely a bag worth having and holding on to. :)

Ron
Indiana G
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Indiana G »

binky,

sorry i didn't get a chance to do a comparison of the kakadu shoulder bag with mk vii......i didn't keep it as i chose to upgrade to the belstaff bag....which i'm still waiting on delivery.

hey captain, that bag looks awesome! how soft is the leather?
Hunter Jones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Hunter Jones »

Captain Ron Solo wrote:Ok. Here are a couple of pics of my new bag.
This is a big, beefy bag, and I couldn't be happier with it. :)

Ron
I have this exact bag. It's fantastic.
Captain Ron Solo
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Indiana G,
The leather starts out fairly stiff - it's pretty thick. The areas that bend and flex regularly started softening up after a couple of months. I've now had the bag for about three months, carrying my laptop and a couple of books for school (a lot of weight), and has held its shape well. I've got zero complaints.
So, you're waiting on a Belstaff, huh? You're not by chance the guy who won the black one on eBay yesterday, are you? It went for just over $60, and I missed the close of the auction. :x Either way, I'm jealous of you, too. :)

Hunter Jones,
When did you get your bag?

Ron
Hunter Jones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Hunter Jones »

I ordered it just before Christmas and received it just after New Years. I've been using it nearly every day since. Great bag.
Captain Ron Solo
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Yeah, I love mine, but I kind of miss the 14" bag that I had before. Even though the 16" accommodates everything I have to carry better than the 14" did, I sometimes think it might be a little bigger than I really need. I haven't yet flown with it, so I'm not sure if it is small enough to be carry-on. What size is yours, and have you flown with it yet?
I've got a buddy at the law school who recently got the 18" bag - that thing is a BEAST! Plus, he's not a big guy, so it makes his bag look even bigger. :)

Ron
Indiana G
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Indiana G »

Captain Ron Solo wrote:So, you're waiting on a Belstaff, huh? You're not by chance the guy who won the black one on eBay yesterday, are you? It went for just over $60, and I missed the close of the auction. :x Either way, I'm jealous of you, too. :)
60 bucks?!?!?! i wish i only spent that....mine is coming from volls.de

the website no longer has it so perhaps i was one of the last people to snag it.

man......60 bucks.....why'd you have to tell me that..... :cry:

:lol:
Captain Ron Solo
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Sorry. #-o I'm furious at myself for letting it get by me. ](*,)

Ron
Gary2880
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Gary2880 »

I bought an LLBean continental last month and it came today, did a little photo set up this evening. ben scott's whip holster came last week and attached perfectly to a strap at the side, as i dont wear trousers condusive to having a belt its superb. hope you like it.

Last edited by Gary2880 on Wed Apr 02, 2008 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hunter Jones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Hunter Jones »

Captain Ron Solo wrote:Yeah, I love mine, but I kind of miss the 14" bag that I had before. Even though the 16" accommodates everything I have to carry better than the 14" did, I sometimes think it might be a little bigger than I really need. I haven't yet flown with it, so I'm not sure if it is small enough to be carry-on. What size is yours, and have you flown with it yet?
I've got a buddy at the law school who recently got the 18" bag - that thing is a BEAST! Plus, he's not a big guy, so it makes his bag look even bigger. :)

Ron
I have the 16" one as well. It works perfectly as a briefcase and I get comments on it all the time. People think I've had it for years. I haven't flown with it yet, but hope to soon.
Indiana G
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Indiana G »

nice bag gary....looks very "indy-on-a-hike-ish" :D

kakadu also does a pretty decent backpack as well. i can't really get away with using one as it gets in the way of my vampire sword......oops wrong movie.....and wrong forum.....

cheers,

daywalker......er....i mean, indiana g :lol:
Gary2880
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Gary2880 »

Yes :) I prefer a rucksack over one shoulder than a lot of the bags above i'm afraid. Stears well clear of man-bagness.
Indiana G
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Indiana G »

Gary2880 wrote:Yes :) I prefer a rucksack over one shoulder than a lot of the bags above i'm afraid. Stears well clear of man-bagness.
a belstaff 554 will never be misconstrued as a man-purse....the 556 is borderline........the mk vii is in the genre but still very masculine. when you start getting into the coach, prada and LV handbags than i suggest calling alden up for some custom pumps..... :lol:
Gary2880
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Gary2880 »

Yes, wouldnt mind that ruddy big belstaf thing but slightly out of budget! :D
Indiana G
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Indiana G »

Gary2880 wrote:Yes, wouldnt mind that ruddy big belstaf thing but slightly out of budget! :D
nothing that a couple of your organs sold on the black market won't resolve.....

..........those doctors think they're sooooo smart with their, "oh...you can't live without kidnes".......suckers!!!! :lol:
Chevalier Krak
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Chevalier Krak »

Gary: I like that bag from Leon's! Here's another good source of bags.
Captain Ron Solo
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Wow. I like that LL Bean pack :tup: and those offerings from Duluth. Unfortunately, I currently have no more bag niches to fill, and no money with which to fill them. :(

Indiana G wrote:
a belstaff 554 will never be misconstrued as a man-purse....the 556 is borderline........the mk vii is in the genre but still very masculine. when you start getting into the coach, prada and LV handbags than i suggest calling alden up for some custom pumps.....
:rolling:

Ron
TheWongIndy
Grail Recovery Volunteer
Grail Recovery Volunteer

Post by TheWongIndy »

Indiana G wrote:
Browncoat wrote:Hard to find and definitely not cheap, but I have one of these for general purposes.

I wish it was a little bigger because, it can fall into the man bag category. :lol:
browncoat...you lucky son of a...... :P

i'd kill to have one of those bags. i've been searching myself for it but you are right.....very hard to come by.

i opted for this kakadu bag. it's on its way as we speak. i think it has great character:

I just got the kakadu shoulder bag and I have to say.. I'm disappointed. My main grief is the way it hangs. The specs are 18x16 but the way it hangs, it has the look of a canvas purse. I know there has been discussion about getting over the whole man bag issue but the size of the shoulder bag is bigger than the traditional man bag. Quite literally, it has the shape of a woman's purse when you wear it.