opinions of Stetson fedora?

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

Treadwell
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

opinions of Stetson fedora?

Post by Treadwell »

...as a fedora in general, not necessarily as an Indy hat.

Putting aside the cheapy wool felt licensed hat, what about a regular fur felt Stetson fedora? Is it considered decent as hats go? How would it rank compared to some of the more popular fedora makers, such as Akuba, HJ, AB (which I know to be excellent)?

I have an eye on a $60 fur felt fedora that I'd like to have as an alternate to my Indy. I just don't know if that's a good buy, as I know high quality hats usually go for much more.

Thanks!
Indiana G
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Indiana G »

if its anything like the standard (not the 'pinnacle') stetson temple, it's a poorly dyed felt that looks pleasing to the eye but it will run when you get it wet. the felt also feels like a man made material because of the dye thats caked on it.

if you are planning to use it as a normal fedora in good weather, $60 is the most i would ever pay for it.

compared to an ab, hj or akubra, the run of the mill stetson temple is not even in the same league imo.
cooncatbob
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by cooncatbob »

Are you talking new or vintage?
Pre 1970 Stetsons are very nice hats. I have 3 Royal Stetsons. A brown. a black and a tan and the felt is very nice. I don't wear them as much as I used to as they're 2 inch brims and I've gotten into wearing broader brimmed hats.
Bob.
Treadwell
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Treadwell »

Thanks, exactly the kind of info I needed.

Should I look for something printed on the sweatband to indicate what grade it is? Would it say "pinnacle"? Someone referred to a "Sovereign" in a positive light in another thread...

The hat is used but new.
eazybox
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by eazybox »

If you can find them, some of the vintage Stetson licensed Indys from TOD & LC are fine hats as far as standing up to years of use goes.

Jack
Chewbacca Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Chewbacca Jones »

A $60 Stetson fur felt is a good deal. The fedoras may not be what they once were, but they still make a fair hat. Sovereigns are a thicker but fairly soft felt (I just got one myself). Don't get too wrapped up in the quality types, though. Just be sure it's 100% fur, not a a fur/wool blend. Stetson makes a few of those, and they sell for about $80 new (thus, $60 for used seems like too much to me).

My honest opinion, from experience, is that modern Stetson dress hats are below Akubras but above HJ's in durability. It's won't take the kind of pounding that Akubras and AB's take, but they will do their job well enough. I say go for it.
Havana
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Havana »

I cannot recommend a modern Stetson based on my experience with the Stetson Temple. Within two years, mine shrank to the point that I could barely wear it. The color actually ran in the rain. I have since learned that they use a dye powder to color their hats. It also began to come apart in flakes like it had the mange. The sweat band wasn't even leather. It was some kind of sprayed cardboard. I would suggest that you look to an Akubra Squatter or Stylemaster if you're considering a quality, affordable fedora. The Jaxon Company also makes a fur felt Bogart model for around $70. You don't have to buy the moon to get quality but you will have to spend some money.
eazybox
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by eazybox »

Havana wrote:I cannot recommend a modern Stetson based on my experience with the Stetson Temple. Within two years, mine shrank to the point that I could barely wear it. The color actually ran in the rain. I have since learned that they use a dye powder to color their hats. It also began to come apart in flakes like it had the mange. The sweat band wasn't even leather. It was some kind of sprayed cardboard. I would suggest that you look to an Akubra Squatter or Stylemaster if you're considering a quality, affordable fedora. The Jaxon Company also makes a fur felt Bogart model for around $70. You don't have to buy the moon to get quality but you will have to spend some money.
I agree about the Stetson Temple; I didn't experience all of the problems you described but mine, purchased in the mid-eighties, did shrink more dramatically than any other hat I've owned. I would stay away from the Stetson Temple.

Jack
Renderking Fisk
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Renderking Fisk »

The current Stetson's are horrible products that taper and discolor with each wearing out doors. I have to admit that after giving this product many different chances I can't say its even a good starter fedora.

Others have had better luck, but I'm not one of them.

Hands down, the Akurbra is the best bet.
Treadwell
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Treadwell »

Yeah, I missed out on a killer deal (outbidding $80) for an Akubra being sold by one of our own on ebay. Got distracted, and got to the auction mere seconds too late.

Anyway, turns out the Stetson is a Sovereign so I decided to go for it, with only $60 worth of expectations. ;)

Thanks!
Dr.Seuss
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Dr.Seuss »

My Stetson (see the Bazaar), has held up well. Perhaps it has something to do with the "Royal De Luxe" mark?

I could never determine just what this hat is made of. Late 1980's.

ImageImage

Yes, I "soft" reblocked it.

Sincerely,
Justinian
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Justinian »

I just received a Stetson Sutley in the mail and I am more than happy with it. It is well built, good quality, and looks great. I suppose I will have to see how it wears over time to give a more thorough opinion about Stetsons, but for now, I am satisfied.