Where do you go from here?

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

Kilgour Trout
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Where do you go from here?

Post by Kilgour Trout »

Hi Folks: Merry Christmas Everyone! Life is so good! I can honestly say I'm truly blessed this Christmas day, relaxing with the kids downstairs watching some Vintage Godzilla DVD's they received this morning and my wife making me a cup of tea in the kitchen. Ooops..spoke to soon, she just brought me a cup and sweetly stated that if I spilt tea on her laptop "My life would be over!" Ahhh..this is what family is all about eh! LOL. I honestly hope all of you are enjoying this day like me.

Anyway...Making things even better, I just got a little Christmas money to spend and I know this sounds silly but when you have an AB Indy Brown and an AB LC Grey, how do you decide what colour to ask Steve to make next?

I'm at a point of wanting to add to my dress attire and can't quite figure what to look at next. We've all seem some pretty nice Non-Indy colours on this site or even more so over at the Fedora Lounge. But there is one that has always stood out. Some might recall there was a BFC (Burlington Coat Factory Lid) that showed up on the Queen Mary a couple of years ago that astounded people for its colour, block and bash. The look was amazing and was all class.

It shared some distinct Indy lines but the colour seemed to be a pecan or lighter cream/tawny colour. I was wondering if anyone could say what it was or has asked Steve to make one of these lighter bodies in recent times?

You know...I don't know what it is but I can't get comfortable buying on ebay unless it's really amazing. Being as careful as I am, I'm happy to wait on any lead time to know there's been real care involved.

So...where do you go next?

And Again...Merry Christmas folks.

Kilgour Trout
Kilgour Trout
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

I found it!

Post by Kilgour Trout »

You've got to love archives!

Take a look at this!

viewtopic.php?t=20012&highlight=bcf

I remember Dalex doing a lot of work on these BCF's and the
results were amazing.

What have you others done in their selections?

Cheers
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Go to Art Fawcett and have him make you a vintage styled custom fedora for you now.

Like you said, you already have the cream of the AB crop, why not go for a custom vintage design made for you by another one of the best hat makers in our hobby? They get their felt from the same source, and both share a common bond and love of the hat makers craft/art.

http://www.vintagesilhouettes.com/

Regards! Michaelson
cooncatbob
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by cooncatbob »

Art enjoys working with his clients to come up with something that is both unique and classic. Check out Indycop's new hat over at the FL. Art just made this for me it's Pecan/Hickory, diamond bash, dimensionally cut brim
2 3/8 front & back 2 1/4 on the sides.
Bob.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Art made me one a few years ago that I wear on occasion. Though not a 100% beaver, it's a beaver blend, and a great hat based on the 'Mullholland Falls' film hat worn by Nick Nolte.

Regards! Michaelson
Kilgour Trout
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Great suggestions

Post by Kilgour Trout »

Mark and Bob: Hey that's not a bad suggestion. I had thought about Art but haven't been in contact with him for at least 3 years. I bought a 50's cream coloured Porti from him which is my primary summer hat.

I've only just started to look at hats again recently.
It's amazing how a move and a new job throws you off what's really important eh! :wink:

I'm almost tempted to contact Dalex to find out some of the spec's on his BCF, at least colour wise.

I'm curious about your Pecan lid though. Does it translate well from the pic you've got there? It looks very sharp to say the least.

Mark do you have any lighter type lids at all?

Cheers
Kilgour
cooncatbob
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Re: Great suggestions

Post by cooncatbob »

Kilgour Trout wrote:Mark and Bob: Hey that's not a bad suggestion. I had thought about Art but haven't been in contact with him for at least 3 years. I bought a 50's cream coloured Porti from him which is my primary summer hat.

I've only just started to look at hats again recently.
It's amazing how a move and a new job throws you off what's really important eh! :wink:

I'm almost tempted to contact Dalex to find out some of the spec's on his BCF, at least colour wise.

I'm curious about your Pecan lid though. Does it translate well from the pic you've got there? It looks very sharp to say the least.

Cheers
Kilgour
The felt color in the picture is dead on, the ribbon is more tan then mauve.
If you go with Art when he sends the conformer to get your head size and shape he'll send you color samples of all the felt he stocks.
Bob.
Last edited by cooncatbob on Tue Dec 25, 2007 11:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chewbacca Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Chewbacca Jones »

Art's hats are fabulous, and he has a bunch of tan-like colors. Mojave is my personal favorite.

Kilgour Trout
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Gorgeous!

Post by Kilgour Trout »

Chewbacca: That is one drop dead incredible hat! :shock:
The contrasting colours and the block shape really make it
stand out.

I'd sure like some details on it but perhaps I should pm you?

I realize that we should stay within "Indy contexts" but I have to imagine
that the Man would have varied his lids on occasion right? :-k :lol:

Perhaps it offers up the question "What would Indy wear?" or for that Matter "Not Wear"?

:-$ Be vewy vewy quiet...Now we wait for our resident Loons to take it from here eh! :lol: :lol: Now, I'm not sayin who they might be but I'm sure they're on they're way!!

Cheers
Kilgour Trout
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Post by binkmeisterRick »

Did somebody call my name? :lol: Seriously, Rob, I've seen the above hat in person. It's gorgeous. If you're looking to get into a period accurate fedora that's a different color than the typical Indy hats, I don't think you can go wrong with one from Art. It's on my wish list, for sure!
Fedora
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Fedora »

You know...I don't know what it is but I can't get comfortable buying on ebay unless it's really amazing.
Don't forget about the vintage Cavanagh I got for you this year! Check your email. Fedora
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Cheers
Kilgour
Three, actually. A vintage late 40's Borsalino, a PB straw, and a 78 gram beaver felt AB prototype that Fedora made me. That's it, though.

Regards! Michaelson
Kilgour Trout
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

So Many choices!

Post by Kilgour Trout »

Hey Guys: I should do a bit of an Archive search to see if there are other "Non-Brown" Indy styled hats in the hands of us Gearheads.

I know this is the purview of the Fedora Lounge but It can be a healthy experience for some to see the veritable cornucopia of lid options out there.
Just to shake things up eh :wink:

When you go to Steve's new site I now notice he's got some other options on the main page, increasing the choices and then when you look at Arts page, it's mind blowing! Not to mention JP's site. I'm embarrassed to say that I've just recently got back to visiting these sites and it makes me realize I've literally fallen off the planet over the last year! :shock: :lol:
We really are blessed with our Hatters!

Hi Bink, I was expecting you but wasn't sure how long it would be before you regained consciousness this morning. I hope you had a great Christmas my friend! I was just wondering what colour Chewies hat look to be? Is it silver belly, cream, tawny? It really is a stunner.

And Oh boy Steve, I haven't forgotten the Cavanaugh! \:D/
It's been one of those things that has been a pleasant distraction, thinking about what it might end up looking like. I'll be emailing you soon on some of the specifics.

I still can't believe You grabbed this for me! Guy's, when next time Steve's not in the room I'll tell you the story. I don't want to embarrass him saying too much but I hope he'll be willing to post a few shots of the Cavanaugh Indy he's putting together for me.

And Michelson, have you ever posted any shots of these lighter lids? It would be very interesting to see this early AB prototype. Have you any of Arts works at this point?

thanks guys.
Kilgour
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Re: So Many choices!

Post by binkmeisterRick »

Kilgour Trout wrote:Hi Bink, I was expecting you but wasn't sure how long it would be before you regained consciousness this morning. I hope you had a great Christmas my friend! I was just wondering what colour Chewies hat look to be? Is it silver belly, cream, tawny? It really is a stunner.
Who said I've regained consciousness? :lol: Chewie's hat is a real stunner. I'd say it's a nice white/silver color. It's really quite lovely and is incredible soft to the touch. Hope your Jimmiy Christmas was a good one! :wink:
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

And Michelson, have you ever posted any shots of these lighter lids? It would be very interesting to see this early AB prototype. Have you any of Arts works at this point?

thanks guys.
Kilgour
Nope, I'm notorious for not being anywhere near a camera at any given time, unless a daughter so happens to have one handy (like our Arizona trip last May that showed up in the Scrapbook section at that time), so sorry, nothing posted. I sure owe a lot of folks photos when I do get around a camera, though. That said, though, I am wearing the AB prototype in those Arizona photos, if you care to dig them out of that section last May.

I have one of Arts hats he made for me a couple years ago based on the Nick Nolte 'Mullholland Falls' hat, though mine is silverbelly rather than gray. It's a beaver blend rather than a pure beaver, but still, a VERY nice custom.

Regards! Michaelson

p.s. Here's one of those AB prototype photos from the trip. You can't see it real well, but at least here's a sample of what I have:

Dr.Seuss
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Dr.Seuss »

Kilgour:

Whatever you decide upon, keep it away from that Lamode hat block. :wink:

Sincerely,
Chewbacca Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Chewbacca Jones »

The skinny on the above Art Fawcett.
1. It is my absolute favorite hat.
2. The color is called mojave. It's actually a very light (almost white) sand or cream. Imagine what silverbelly would be if it were a tan color rather than a gray color. It has been mistaken for a panama straw at a distance.
3. I believe the brim is 2 5/8" with an open crown just a smidge over 5 1/2", diamond crown shaped by Art himself. I forget what color he called the ribbon.
4. Art keeps records of his work, and if anybody here wants him to make a copy, I don't mind. I would be flattered (and I'm sure Art would be, as well). That goes for any hat I have. Just don't ask if you can have mine (G, that means you!).
Kilgour Trout
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Thank you

Post by Kilgour Trout »

Chewbacca you are a Gentleman! The detail is very appreciated.

The big question is, Do you have any pics of this beauty
on your head? :D

Michaelson...Very interesting, the impression from the pic is the prototype had a lighter ribbon and a shorter crown? And ooops, I should have remembered The gentleman bit eh! :wink:

Dr.Seuss, actually I'm thinking of selling it. I had Richard make me a block for a size 7 or 22 inches and I really should have gone for a 7 1/8th to accommodate the sweatband. Anything I've done has turned out just a bit tight.

I'm also just "ever so slightly" thinking that he made me a classic Fedora block and not a Steve's AB block. There seems to be just a bit of taper in the front and back as opposed to stove pipe straight.

It reminds me more of a #52.

So...expect to see it in the Classified's some time soon.

Cheers
Kilgour