hang on to your hats boys....

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

Dostacos
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

hang on to your hats boys....

Post by Dostacos »

Dorfman Pacific now sells a "limited" edition for only $525.00 :-0 [-X [-(
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Post by binkmeisterRick »

What? Mind sharing a pic of that? I take it the pin is solid gold?

HA!

http://www.villagehatshop.com/indiana_j ... r_hat.html

Sorry, it doesn't look like it's worth anywhere NEAR that much to me. If you read the description, you can tell Lucas is milking this for what it's worth. Surprise, huh? :roll: But just imagine buying the REAL KotCS hat for LESS!
VP
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by VP »

The box is nice but otherwise it's pretty off.
Indiana Max
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Indiana Max »

A "limited" edition of Dorfman Pacific :rolling: that is the best joke I heard for a long time :rolling:
I can´t really see the difference between this one and the "normal" beside the hatband maybe, it looks as ugly as a Dorfman Pacific always looks like :rolling:
Scandinavia Jones
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Scandinavia Jones »

DP con man wrote: This is the gift for the iconoclastic Indy fan.
Kayy...? Indy fans, here's your Iconoclastic hat! A fan who's devoted to destroying the canonic image of Indiana Jones by wearing way-off headgear might be defined as an iconoclast, of sorts... but maybe that's not what the sales blurb writer meant.
The Pilot
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by The Pilot »

Indiana Max wrote:it looks as ugly as a Dorfman Pacific always looks like :rolling:
Oh, I don't think it's ugly. Looks like a brown fedora. Doesn't look Indy, but it's not unattractive as a non-Indy hat.
Indy Magnoli
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by Indy Magnoli »

Iconoclasic? :? :lol: I think they need to hire a new writer! :roll:

I agree with VP... nice box.

Kind regards,
Magnoli
Dalexs
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Dalexs »

Yeah, but no box is worth $500! (especially if it has a Dorfman inside!)
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

hat

Post by BendingOak »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Put me down for none.
Bullitt
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Bullitt »

I'd like to know what Steve and Marc have to say about this one. This is just too bizarre for words, man. :shock:
Indiana Jess
Scoundrel

Post by Indiana Jess »

"Dorfman Pacific Limited Edition" Isn't that Hovitos for "Rip Off"?
Indiana G
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Indiana G »

a factory made hat for over 5 bills? i feel rather insulted by this....perhaps as much as when leatherattractions ripped peter's photo off to use on their site.

i just feel sorry for the layman consumer who will be purchasing this. i honestly hope they do their homework before getting a really pretty box and hat liner for $525. heck, even baronhats beats this deal....and peter bros beats this by a country mile.
Indiana Blooze
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Indiana Blooze »

:-k Hmmmmm, makes $350 seem pretty reasonable for a AB, does it not.
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

Indiana Blooze wrote::-k Hmmmmm, makes $350 seem pretty reasonable for a AB, does it not.
Yes it does.
IndianaLV
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Re: hat

Post by IndianaLV »

BendingOak wrote::lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Put me down for none.
Me too. I always wanted a far too pricey fedora... NOT!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Indiana Blooze wrote::-k Hmmmmm, makes $350 seem pretty reasonable for a AB, does it not.
*signed* :wink:
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Indiana Jess wrote:"Dorfman Pacific Limited Edition" Isn't that Hovitos for "Rip Off"?
If only you spoke Hovitos, you could warn them. :wink:
agent5
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by agent5 »

Just ordered mine.

NOT!!!

What a joke. A bad, bad joke.
raider 57
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by raider 57 »

You all must realize,at least they ONLY intend on ripping off 16 buyers. Let's see..525 X 16 = $8400 ???
Canyon
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Canyon »

Dostacos wrote:Re: hang on to your hats boys....
Girls, too. :mrgreen:
ydam
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by ydam »

seriously???? wow...that must be the REAL reason Steve is taking a break. He knows he is going to have to compete with the Limited Edition Dorfman.. :? :roll: Ummmmm...no thanks... [-X =;
Johnny Fedora
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: Alternating between wearing my Magnoli/AB/HJ & my Penman lids!

Post by Johnny Fedora »

Well I don't know about ya'll, but I know which box I'd want to find waiting for me...

but that's just me. Now hopefully all of the bandwagoners jumping on to the new Indyfad will jump all over this hat and not only give Steve and Marc a breather, but thin the pack ordering and waiting for Indiana's ACTUAL hat.

Johnny
Renderking Fisk
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Renderking Fisk »

OK, Now THIS deserves a waterboarding, Tazer AND Barry Manalow Treatment.

Dunk, Tzzzt! "I Right the songs that make the whole world sing..."

Dunk, Tzzzt! "Oh, Mandy... you came and you gave with out taking... and I need you again, Oh Mandy..."

Dunk, Tzzzt! "At the copa-copacabana - the hottest spot north of Havana - at the copa-copacabana - music and passion were always the fashion at the copa they fellin' love..."

This is the gift for the iconoclastic Indy fan... hand me my bat, sweetheart... it's the one that says "Dangerous Angry Retro" on the handle.
Last edited by Renderking Fisk on Thu Dec 13, 2007 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bufflehead Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Bufflehead Jones »

GraveRobber, hand me my taser. Ren seems to know the words to all of those songs! :shock:
agent5
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by agent5 »

I've got the water hose and the ties to tie him down.
KingNothing
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by KingNothing »

I love how they still put the pin on the #### thing. That's what makes it authentic you know.
raider 57
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by raider 57 »

And check out that finely styled DP brim there! Remember,Only sixteen available!! :shock:
Indiana Kev
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Indiana Kev »

At least it's not the wool version. :D
hanson
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by hanson »

Look at it, you take it, bury it in the sand for a thousand years, and perhaps even it may be worth something.........hanson lol
Johnny Fedora
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: Alternating between wearing my Magnoli/AB/HJ & my Penman lids!

Post by Johnny Fedora »

Indiana Kev wrote:At least it's not the wool version. :D
Yeah, but it looks exactly like my old fur felt version DP with just a diffrent liner. Oh and they changed the bow slightly.

Johnny
whipwarrior

Post by whipwarrior »

A Dorfman for $525.00?!?! To quote NewsRadio, "I laughed so hard that my speaker phone nearly burst into flames." And you're absolutely right Johnny, I hope that the newbies jump all over this and give Steve and Marc a well-deserved break, because they need it.
Canada Jones
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Canada Jones »

I have read or heard the filmmakers talk so much about how the new movie is all about the fans, and how much the fans are going to love the movie. It seems to me when I see things like this that the Lucasfilm merchandising machine is going to love it more. I do wonder what the mark up is on this hat? Oh, and if this is a sign of things to come then I can't wait to see the price for the box of Indy Cereal.

Also:
Indiana Jess wrote: "Dorfman Pacific Limited Edition" Isn't that Hovitos for "Rip Off"?

then binkmeisterRick wrote: If only you spoke Hovitos, you could warn them.

This, I must say, is Indygear fan humor at its best. Hilarious, absolutely hilarious. :lol: :lol: :lol: Nice going binkmeisterRick!
best
Canada
Pitfall Harry
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Pitfall Harry »

Does Dorfman Pacific have some kind of "life long" contract with Lucas to produce these "official hats"? :?

I guess I just don't see why Marc and Steve's "Factory Hat" project couldn't have been used as the "Official Hat".......Why not have the guys that actually made the film hat supply a high quality / less expensive version to the general public? I don't see why they keep using Dorfman all the time......

Even if I wasn't heavily involved with the gear collecting like I have been the last 3 years I still would have looked at that hat and thought it looked awful. My $80 Dorfman that my son wears now looks better then that....

I wonder since it is beaver if the hat could be takend and turned into a half-way decent looking Indy hat?
Argonaut
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Argonaut »

$525 bucks? Holy ####. :shock:

I supremely hope the Adventurebilts and Akubras and what not stay the same price through Indy 4. I pity those who have not discovered this site.
IndyFan89
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by IndyFan89 »

For $525 dollars i better get that DP and Jessica Alba too. :shock:

Does DP have a thing about trying to make they're "Official Indy Hats" look nothing like the movie? It ain't that hard to shoot over to these forums and find the specs of what the Indy fed should look like.

Lucas should break away from DP and put Steve and Marc in charge.

EDIT:

Now we know what Drew used as refrence:

Last edited by IndyFan89 on Thu Dec 13, 2007 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

As long as DP/Disney can keep paying for the rights, they'll do so and take full advantage of it. Welcome to capitalism, folks.
dr. tyree
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by dr. tyree »

HHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEHAHAAAAAAA

They have GOT to be joking

harHARHARHARHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Where's Alan Funt??
Canada Jones
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Canada Jones »

dr. tyree wrote:HHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEHAHAAAAAAA

They have GOT to be joking

harHARHARHARHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Where's Alan Funt??
Candid Camera was the best...
Renderking Fisk
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Bufflehead Jones wrote:GraveRobber, hand me my taser. Ren seems to know the words to all of those songs! :shock:
What? YOU taught those songs at the Pepto Inn!
This, I must say, is Indygear fan humor at its best. Hilarious, absolutely hilarious. Nice going binkmeisterRick!
Just wait till you meet him in person... I've never wanted to jump off a moving boat so fast because I was laughing so hard and my sides hurt.
Lee Keppler
Vendor

Post by Lee Keppler »

Since Josh Bernstine's hat in "Digging For The Truth" on the History Channel sells for $750.00, I'd say Steve's hat is easily worth $525.00.
But NOT the Dorkman-Pacific!
Bufflehead Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Bufflehead Jones »

Renderking Fisk wrote:
Bufflehead Jones wrote:GraveRobber, hand me my taser. Ren seems to know the words to all of those songs! :shock:
What? YOU taught those songs at the Pepto Inn!
Ummmm.....I see a little zap wasn't enough for you. This time you are getting the full five second ride. TZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZT
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Ren, I just hope I never meet myself in person. Just imagine how ugly that hole in the time-space continuum would be! :shock:

Heck, we all know Steve's hats are actually worth MORE than $525, but we've been blessed with a hatter who doesn't like ripping people off. I'd be interested to know if these Dorfmans are really 100% beaver or just a blend. Funny enough, you can write customer reviews on that Dorfman page, but somehow I don't think they'll publish the honest ones...
Panama Tom Jr.
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Panama Tom Jr. »

A $525 Dorkman – uh, I mean Dorfman?! Holy Smokes! What did they feed the beavers they made the hat out of, caviar?
Band Director Jones
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: CLAP! CLAP! CLAP! CLAP! Deep in the heart of Texas!

Post by Band Director Jones »

binkmeisterRick wrote: Funny enough, you can write customer reviews on that Dorfman page, but somehow I don't think they'll publish the honest ones...
I just submitted my review. When I did it said it would be reviewed by their staff and it might be posted in 2 business days. :roll: So much for integrity.
Fedora
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Fedora »

I have a different take on this. At least George knows the film hats were beaver this time around!

You can't blame him for wanting to use the same type fur as the new film hats, and I must say, at least they got rid of the teardrop top crease in this new beaver hat.

The 525.00 price is actually in line with most other pure beaver hats. And personally, I hope he does well with this line. At least the quality will be leaps beyond the other DPs! From a hatters perspective, that is a good thing.

If this helps takes some of the pressure off of me, I am all for it. Really, it looks like the nicest DP I have ever seen. I think Marc and I using pure beaver for the film hats MAY actually help in the quality of the Official Indy Fedora. And personally, I really, really love that. I think we may have just improved their quality, which is a win win for hatdom in general.

No sour grapes here, from me. I actually love it. I gotta feeling, one of these made it into the film. I saw one pic that I know was not our hats, and this may be the smoking gun here.

So, I am thrilled that Marc and I just upped the anti on quality Indy hats, from the Official Indy supplier. Kudos to Lucas and Company.

But, what George really needs to do is to hire Marc and I at a hefty fee, to show them what the CS fedora really was, and to help them in getting it film accurate. We would do it for 1 per cent of DP sales. :wink: :lol: I can see that if a AB was sent to them to copy, they missed it, even down to the way the bow is crimped. It was crimped downward, not upwards! :lol:

I hope he sells a ton of them. At least, DP could finally be proud of the hats they make. And no longer would DP be only associated with low quality hats.

I was quite surprised when Marc emailed me the link. It took a few minutes for this to sink in. :lol: So as a hatter, I give them a :tup:

A decent quality Indy DP has been a long time in coming. Fedora
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

You always throw a fresh perspective on things, Steve. :lol: While it looks far from being a screen accurate Indy, you do have a point in that it might make a nice fedora otherwise. Yes, you deserve a vacation! :wink: I just hope if they put this on his head for film placement, that the scene is so short that most people won't notice. :lol:
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

hat

Post by BendingOak »

the question is. Are they going to take off the indinana Jones pin?
Renderking Fisk
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

binkmeisterRick wrote:Ren, I just hope I never meet myself in person. Just imagine how ugly that hole in the time-space continuum would be! :shock:
I actually did that, once. I was working at this [Top Secret] and I rounded the corner, and there I was! "We have to talk." I said to myself.

We sat down at the cafe and talked for a while about my future self's past, my present self's future. Do I really ramble on like that? Woah....
Heck, we all know Steve's hats are actually worth MORE than $525, but we've been blessed with a hatter who doesn't like ripping people off.
The reason why Steve is who he is and the craftsman he's become is becaue he actually wore fedoras before he started making them. He bought them, he wore them, he wore them out, he studied the art of making fedora's and he knew what it was like to get the pinch in the wallet for inferior and over-priced garbage.

The problem with Dorkman is that none of the people who make the fedoras have ever won fedoras regularly before hand. They makers of those products don't know what a good fedora feels like on the head, they don't know how they fair during regular use and through all kinds of weather. Their attention to detail is horrible, does that fedora actually look like what Harrison Ford wears in ANY of the motion pictures?

Now if that was a replica of the fedora Gary Cooper wore in the first few scenes in "Meed John Doe," MAYBE.

That's a good starter fedora for $45, NOT $500
I'd be interested to know if these Dorfmans are really 100% beaver or just a blend. Funny enough, you can write customer reviews on that Dorfman page, but somehow I don't think they'll publish the honest ones...[/quote]
IndyFan89
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by IndyFan89 »

\:D/ Lets storm the Dorfman Pacific wharehouse and burn it down!!! :clap:
JulianK
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by JulianK »

Holy @#$%, I just heard this on CBC Newsworld! Seems that the beaver trappers her in Canada are all excited that this will boost beaver pelt prices. Somehow they seemed surprised that the hat uses beaver.
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

IndyFan89 wrote:\:D/ Lets storm the Dorfman Pacific wharehouse and burn it down!!! :clap:
No, because as much as we pick on Dorfman Pacific, they still provide hats to a marketplace who enjoys wearing them. And if we want to see more hats on people, then even DP has its place. Besides, how many fans loved their Dorfmans back as kids, long before the offerings we have today? Love 'em or leave 'em, let that warehouse stand. :wink: