Some great looking close enough boots here!

Bags, Boots, Shirts and all other gear should be discussed here.

Moderators: Mike, Cajunkraut, Tennessee Smith

Fletch
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Some great looking close enough boots here!

Post by Fletch »

Check these babies out for a hundred bucks. Oiled leather for waterproofing and moc toe. Site has a zoomable picture
http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/c ... 93846&pn=4

Fletch
Last edited by Fletch on Mon Nov 26, 2007 1:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dostacos
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Dostacos »

well those are terrible :roll: :mrgreen: why, you ask? because it is Christmas, they have my size, don't have it in the budget and it is a good price ](*,)

Oh, and when they hit the heavy discount to move the last few, my size will be gone, but yes those are good looking close enoughs, I hope guys in need pick them up

Dan

GOOD LINK!
Captain Ron Solo
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Captain Ron Solo »

Yeah, I'd have to say those are some great close-enoughs. About as close as you can get to Aldens without going for some Magnoli's. Great find! :tup:

Ron
Mark Brody
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Mark Brody »

Got the same boots at Zappos with a more SA color, and more pictures (the first link doesn't have the color option). Unfortunately, they aren't on sale at Zappos. I think I posted this earlier in the summer, so you may have already seen it.

http://www.zappos.com/n/p/dp/30446188/c/13978.html
Bullitt
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Bullitt »

Hey Mark Brody, mind posting some pics of yours? I have the same boots, but I have the Dark Chocolates. So I'd like to see how they compare.
Thanks!
Panama Tom Jr.
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Panama Tom Jr. »

For that price I could get over the split toe - apparently there's only one color option on this site - "Dark Chocolate," which from the Zappo's pics look alot like the darker colored Aldens in the temple at the beginning of ROTLA. Hmmm, very tempting...
Mark Brody
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Mark Brody »

Bullitt wrote:Hey Mark Brody, mind posting some pics of yours? I have the same boots, but I have the Dark Chocolates. So I'd like to see how they compare.
Thanks!
Should have them by the end of the week.

I guess I wasn't specific enough when I posted earlier. I meant "They've got the same boots at Zappos..." not "I got the same boots..." Anywhose, I gave in after I posted that.
Bemo
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Bemo »

I caved in and got a pair from Sportsman's Guide as well ($99) and they should be here tomorrow. I debated waiting for the $199 blemished Alden's, but really couldn't pass up the price and the color of the Rockports. And I know what size Rockports I wear so there's no mystery.
Pitfall Harry
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Pitfall Harry »

Well, I tried ordering these boots from that site tonight and the website was down. So I did a search online and found the same pair here...

http://www.macys.com/catalog/product/in ... erID=PD566

Now these were onsale for $89.99 At Macy's and they come in black and Dark Chocolate. The same as the sportsmans guide boots.

I hope some of you that ordered from Sportsmans Guide knew the pic on site is NOT the color you'll get. Back when I first followed the link I went threw the motions like I was going to order them to see the total price and they only had "Dark Choc." as the color option.

Anyway.......I happen to like the darker color better. It reminds me of the way his boots looked in the temple at the begining of Raiders.
Dostacos
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Dostacos »

the bad news is they only have some of the wide sizes in black only :cry:
Mark Brody
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

PICTURES!!!

Post by Mark Brody »

Got the boots today. I must say, I opened the box and they looked exactly like the stock photos (even down to the uneven "worn in" color). I went with the dark tan, and as best I can tell, the color is quite SA (again, the color in the stock photos is accurate, so judge for yourself).

So how do they feel? Like hockey skates. At first I considered returning them for a different size (or even just width). As I've been wearing them this evening, they have loosened up considerably, and given more time, I'm sure they will become quite comfortable. Just don't expect wonders when you put them on the first time.

One other thing I've noticed now that I've got them is that the toe is a tiny bit pointy. When I'm wearing them, I can't help but think that they have a little bit of "Western" in them, but only the tiniest bit.

Overall, I'm happy with my purchase, and recommend Zappos for their free next-day shipping. I'll keep you all posted as to how well they break in, but it may be some time. In the meantime, enjoy the dazzling animated gif...

Bemo
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Bemo »

Well, I decided to send them back (Sportman's Guide's return policy is pretty good) due to the "pointy-ness" of the toes. I they tended to look like clown shoes on me. I think I'll save up for the Alden's. Hope your purchase works out for you.

Peaceful thoughts y'all.
churchman73
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

$199 blemished Alden's

Post by churchman73 »

Where/How do you get $199 blemished Alden's??

thanks
Bemo
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Bemo »

churchman, if you look a few posts down, there is a thread about $199 Alden's. Apparently you have to call ShoeMart.com and essentially be placed on a waiting list. From the photos posted so far, the irregular or blemished Alden's are virtually indistinguishable from new. Haven't done it myself yet.

Peaceful thoughts y'all.
Bullitt
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Bullitt »

Mark Brody, those look great! I think the SA color is somewhere in between the Dark Tan and Dark Chocolate. I also have some pics of mine after only a week or two of wear, so everyone can judge for themselves. I also sanded these somewhat. You can see that clearly in these pics with flash.

These link to the non-flash pics:
Pitfall Harry
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Pitfall Harry »

Wow, Bullit those look great. :D

Are those the Dark Chocolate color? I'm trying to determine what mine will actually look like because that's the color I ordered. :)
Mark Brody
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Mark Brody »

Those do look nice. I find that if I take tan boots and use brown polish on them, it gives me the color I'm looking for (without regards to SA), and gives it that well-used look.

BTW, how does the heel feel on your boots? Mine's a little hard right now, and I'm hoping it will soften up.
Bullitt
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Bullitt »

Yeah Pitfall, those are the Dark Chocolates. The non-flash pics represent best, what they should look like in normal daylight :D

Mark Brody, it's a good idea to use the shoe polish, because I find them too yellow/orange for my taste. But it took me some time to decide which one to order and seeing you animation made me doubt a little. :roll:
I also think that Indy's boot are so dirty most of the time, that the color is just that of dirt. :) Overall I think that the darker color suits the rest of the gear better.
As far as the heel is concerned, I have the same problem as you. I already tried to soften the leather up by working it in my hands. But I think I'll have to resort to a baseball bat to get the stiffness out :P

BTW I also cut of the lip at the heel, as you can see in the pics for the sake of SA.