AB Reblock - ROTLA/KOTCS Hybrid - UPDATED PICS

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

Panama Tom Jr.
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

AB Reblock - ROTLA/KOTCS Hybrid - UPDATED PICS

Post by Panama Tom Jr. »

I almost put this added this to the "Post your AB" thread but it's kind of unique - I had Steve reblock my 3 yr old AB using his new block that he used for KOTCS but had him add a more Raiders style pinch. I got it back in Wednsday afternoon before I went out of town and I must say I'm thrilled with the results - it now has a straighter, less tapered appearance than before. Much thanks to Steve for his excellent work!
Here's some pics - including an outside shot flying a kite with my son...
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
Last edited by Panama Tom Jr. on Mon Nov 26, 2007 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mufflowne
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by mufflowne »

what a strange block! it's cool but I'm not used to it yet.
Then again your center dent isn't very deep (i'd do it deeper) and the center pinch is looser than usual.

Overall, however, don't mean to make it sound like I'm flaming your hat because it's a great hat and it looks great on your noggin.
Indiana G
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Indiana G »

that's a reblock? it looks totally brand new! nice work fedora and congrats PTJ, that hat looks perfect on you. i must say that minus the bash i am having trouble picking out the nuances between the 2 blocks. perhaps i'd see it better if this was totally bashed to a rola specs. i'm still a noob in that sense i guess.

btw, nice guitar collection!!!!
indy89
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by indy89 »

Great hat! I agree with G, nice guitar collection.
Panama Tom Jr.
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Panama Tom Jr. »

Then again your center dent isn't very deep (i'd do it deeper) and the center pinch is looser than usual.
Actually I realized after I posted the pics that the center dent had popped out a little during my trip - I adjusted it back, but it's still not terribly deep at 4 3/4" in front and 4 1/4" in the back. The shallower dent seems to keep things straighter on the sides.
As for the pinch, when I first purchased the hat I had Steve shape the brim based on the "Well of the Souls" scenes, but with a tighter pinch. After the reblock the pinch was not not as tight, but now it really looks like "Well of the Souls" pinch when Indy stares down the cobra...
Strider
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Strider »

Lookin' fab!
Arkansas Russell
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Arkansas Russell »

I like it!
Jaredraptor
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Jaredraptor »

To quote a certain fictional Kazack reporter: Is nice! :)
coronado3
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by coronado3 »

what years are the strats? How about the 335?

C3
McFly
Scoundrel

Post by McFly »

Jaredraptor wrote:To quote a certain fictional Kazack reporter: Is nice! :)
To also quote from the same man:

Very nice, great success!

Shane
Fedora
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Fedora »

That hat of Tom's is the stiffest AB I ever made. It was an older model, and was made BEFORE I started removing some of the stiffener, when a run would come in too stiff. If I would have had the time when doing his reblock, I would have taken the excess stiffener out. But, alas, these days I don't have the time to do so on reblocks, as it would take longer to do this, than to completely make a hat from scratch.

Also as you can tell this top crease had popped out too much, with the back crease not being low enough. I am sure he adjusted it, later, and this can make a big difference in the look of the hat. Also, the softer felt that I use now utilizes this CS block better than a stiff felt does. The way a felt "moves" as it takes the creases is very important in the final look. And the amount of stiffener in a hat affects this. Fedora
Canyon
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Canyon »

Tom, the hat looks fabulous. :P The hat looks especially Raider's esque in the kite picture (nice blue eyes, too) :P :wink:
Panama Tom Jr.
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Panama Tom Jr. »

Ok, here's some pics of my hat with the correct top crease (per Steve's KotCS specs - 4 3/4" x 4 1/4") - it does seem to bring the sides in some, but it's still nice and straight
ImageImage

And, incidentally, a before shot to show why the reblock was necessary...
Oh, and uh, thanks Canyon - the only ones in my family that gets comments on their eyes anymore are my kids... :wink:
Last edited by Panama Tom Jr. on Mon Dec 03, 2007 8:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
prairiejones
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: In the damp jungles of Peru, drinking Dewar's with Pagey.

Post by prairiejones »

Outstanding!!!!!!
Rusty Jones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist
Location: Raleigh, NC, Running from the Havitos (my (ex)girlfriends' parents)

Post by Rusty Jones »

fantastic looking fedora you have there... I'm very pleased with what I've seen of the new hat and yours looks great, only problem is now I want one! :c)
prairiejones
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: In the damp jungles of Peru, drinking Dewar's with Pagey.

Post by prairiejones »

Nice semi-hollow, as well. Do I detect a Strat?
Panama Tom Jr.
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Panama Tom Jr. »

4 strats actually - my other expensive hobby. We put on a room addition with the arrival of our 2nd child - I wasn't too keen on dropping the $ til my wife said it could be my "man" room with a leather couch, the guitars on one wall and my Indygear on another. She is a very persuasive woman...
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Post by binkmeisterRick »

I'd venture to say it's an Epiphone Dot, too. Not that I'm contibuting to the off-topic banter, or anything. 8-[
Panama Tom Jr.
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Panama Tom Jr. »

Shame on you, Bink! [-X (btw -good eye! It's a special edition Dot deluxe in wine red w/gold hardware - oops - 8-[ - I'm going to go hide under the Plymouth now...)