Discussion - Kingdom of the Crystal Skull Jacket...

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

nicktheguy
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by nicktheguy »

I can hardly wait to place my order.......mmmmm May 2008....
eazybox
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by eazybox »

Welcome to COW, Tony-- your jaket sounds fantastic!

Jack
Satipo
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Satipo »

That's very exciting news! Well done to Tony and welcome to the family. :clap:

So, does this mean we'll get to see some detailed pictures of the jacket soon; or do we need to wait for the movie to come out first?
coronado3
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by coronado3 »

Did this Adventure Outfitters jacket prototype from Keppler/FS have the press studs??!?!?! If so, this predates the LC film...

C3
IndyBlues
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by IndyBlues »

So, after all is said and done,...Lee Keppler is the father of the modern Indiana jones jacket? Predating Last Crusade, and G&B(formerly Flightsuits)? Amazing! I really can't wait to read the full story in the updated Main Site.
Finally, a new Indy film, and gear history to read about.
Can't wait! :D
'Blues
Castor Dioscuri
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Castor Dioscuri »

_ wrote:Until the film is released in May 2008, no jackets will be available for sale. I am working on a pricing analysis with Tony Nowak, but as of the date of this posting no pricing guidelines have been established. Based on the other offerings from Tony, I would expect that this jacket would be priced as a premium piece of gear. I would be willing to stake my reputation on the fact that anyone who has the opportunity to own one of these will consider it a prized possession.
I HAD to stop myself from skipping down to this part as soon as I read that name! ;) Hmm, all this talk about 'premium priced' does make me worry... I wonder if it will be more expensive than, say, a Wested? Or two? And judging from the fact that their jackets are all hand-made, much like Wested's, I do wonder how many of these will be made, since gear-dom is after all a niche market.

It is curious that Tony Nowak specializes in making body builder's apparel, so kinda makes you wonder if Ford has bulked up THAT much since Raiders? :P

This announcement was certainly out of left field, as _ promised earlier! Interesting to see how it seems that so far, the two most prominent gears announced (the jacket and the fedora) both have such strong roots in fandom. Makes you wonder if the shirt and pants will turn out to be made by Indy Magnoli? :P I just hope the movie will also reflect this product of love so evident in the gear, to coin an old cliche.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

IndyBlues wrote:So, after all is said and done,...Lee Keppler is the father of the modern Indiana jones jacket? Predating Last Crusade, and G&B(formerly Flightsuits)? Amazing! I really can't wait to read the full story in the updated Main Site.
Finally, a new Indy film, and gear history to read about.
Can't wait! :D
'Blues
Ok, I rarely say this, ever....but today I will......

I told you so, and HAVE told folks that about old Lee for years. :lol:

Regards! Michaelson
Dr._J
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Dr._J »

Great info _! Fascinating! I ALWAYS knew Lee was the man!

Regards, Dr. J
Mike
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

Ahhh...one more monkey off our backs.

Great read.

Mike
coronado3
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by coronado3 »

So, the jacket pictured on the main site as the "keppler" jacket is one of these prototypes? Cooool!

I wonder why they wanted it in cowhide as it seems that much of the film takes place in hot locations?!

C3
Last edited by coronado3 on Tue Oct 30, 2007 9:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
coronado3
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by coronado3 »

Do we know why Lee's FS prototype had the press studs?

C3
Kt Templar
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Kt Templar »

The image that was on Wested's site for a while is the prototype in question. I'm sure someone must have right clicked it. It had an unusual lining.
coronado3
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by coronado3 »

I just can't wait to see a good photo of Ford in the new jacket!

C3
Kt Templar
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Kt Templar »

_ wrote:
Kt Templar wrote:The image that was on Wested's site for a while is the prototype in question. I'm sure someone must have right clicked it. It had an unusual lining.
Not correct. That was Peter's version of what Bernie wanted - a version that did not win Peter the contract.(paraphrased)
Actually no. The picture in question was the slightly blue tinted, well worn in jacket Peter posted way back. This was one of the pictures that Bernie (or Bob) sent Peter after their initial discussions. I am not talking about the images of Peter's prototype.

I agree the wheres and whyfores are a private matter between the two of them. Bernie chose Nowak.
Satipo
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Satipo »

So, will this jacket will be a long way from the Raiders look? Or will it hint towards it in the same way that AB will with the fedora.
Cassidy
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Cassidy »

_, can we expect any pictures soon?

Also, what is your take on the potentially large price point for those of us wishing to purchase a jacket based on the new/old design?

Do you feel it is justified to get a gear item with a clear, documented pedigree and no grey area, or will it be off-putting for a lot of folks who may choose not to pursue the gear hobby?

EDIT :oops: :oops: :oops: And my sincere congrats to all involved in the process.
nicktheguy
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by nicktheguy »

My guess is that it will fall along the pricepoint of the Aero. It's just a guess though. Now the question is do I still plan on my Wested LC HH?????
St. Dumas
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by St. Dumas »

_ wrote:One note - there is a dark horse out there... Why has nobody asked that question I have been practicing avoiding?
Give us time.

SD
Tennessee Smith
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Tennessee Smith »

One note - there is a dark horse out there... Why has nobody asked that question I have been practicing avoiding?
Okay, I'll do it, if this is it... Why didn't it go to Peter, since it was his original jacket and why was this one such a better model?
West
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

!

Post by West »

Erin Jones wrote:
One note - there is a dark horse out there... Why has nobody asked that question I have been practicing avoiding?
Okay, I'll do it... Why didn't it go to Peter, since it was his original jacket and why was this one such a better model?
For me, since it was a jacket GB/FS produced that was copied, I wonder if they threw a "hat into the ring" (sorry for the bad pun) and if they did what about theirs didn't meet Bernie's demands?

Can't wait to see the new jacket Tony will be producing (and the price). Must be a real exciting time for him! Nothing like getting into film history to make a person feel really proud of their work! :D
Satipo
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Satipo »

Why would they need a specially engineered collar? What were they planning to do with it?
Tennessee Smith
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Tennessee Smith »

Sorry Alex I pushed the button by mistake? :oops:

...and since we now know this info, when will we get to read the full jacket history and will this jacket be included?
St. Dumas
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Re: !

Post by St. Dumas »

_ wrote:G&B/FS was not part of the bid process. Bernie had not heard of them until he and I talked about 2 months ago...
But he would have heard of US Wings, given the TOD connection.

SD
coronado3
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by coronado3 »

Please don't say Leather attractions! :lol:

C3
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Ya' lead a horse to water, and it pees in the trough...
I've seen Tennessee Walkers do that...... :-k :wink:

Regards! Michaelson
Satipo
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Satipo »

BZZZZ! Adventure Outfitters?
rick5150
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by rick5150 »

I realize you are working on pricing, but my understanding is that we are (were) looking at a jacket that is substantially more costly than an $800 Aero - maybe by more than 50%. I have known of Tony Nowak's involvement for a while and he does not come cheaply. I would however, LOVE to see a perfect-fitting Indy jacket that was completely functional. No gussets and elastic bands to make it work...

From what I am reading, we have been buying jackets that we thought were from the original manufacturer for years and years and have been cheerfully "misled." Not to say that the jackets do not have their place in Indy history, but if Peter did not make the original and only made replicas of other manufacturers jackets for the sequels, that gives one something to think about... Again, I love my Wested jackets, but that is not the point.
sebas
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by sebas »

Congrats Tony!
Welcome to COW. Can't wait to see the jacket pics...and buy one.
Regards.
Sebas
St. Dumas
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by St. Dumas »

rick5150 wrote:... but if Peter did not make the original and only made replicas of other manufacturers jackets for the sequels, that gives one something to think about...
_'s info tells us that Peter made the original Raiders and the original LC. From what we've been hearing, Lee had wanted an accurate Raiders jacket, so he asked Flightsuits to make a custom jacket based on his description, photos, drawings etc. of the Raiders screen jacket. Flightsuits produced the jacket for Lee and he added the press studs. From what I understand, Peter was asked to make the LC jacket based on that jacket. So because Peter produced the LC screen jackets, the LC jacket is as much his as the Crystal Skull jacket is Tony's

_ will correct me if I'm wrong, but I think Peter and his shop should be given credit for the Raiders and LC screen jackets if he's the one who manufactured them.

SD
Satipo
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Satipo »

_ wrote:
Satipo wrote:BZZZZ! Adventure Outfitters?
I hope you are kidding? Flight Suits made the prototype jacket. I've seen identical jackets in their inventory from when we worked on the Expedition....
I was gonna say Flight Suits! But I thought you already dismissed that answer:
_ wrote:Close...

G&B/FS was not part of the bid process. Bernie had not heard of them until he and I talked about 2 months ago...
I guess I misunderstood your clue. :?
Last edited by Satipo on Tue Oct 30, 2007 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rundquist
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Rundquist »

Is Flightsuits interested in making the old Lee Keppler design? I know that they (like US Wings) have said "enough with changing the jacket around" to the ever changing fan details.
Rundquist
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Rundquist »

Tony will be "the" guy to get your Crystal Skull jacket from if you want your jacket made from the guy that made it for the movie, but I wonder who is going to get the licensed jacket contract. Personally, I like Gibson & Barnes quality vs. price. It could be US Wings. Who knows. It's all business.
Rundquist
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Rundquist »

Really? I guess they've still got the Cooper/US Wings contract intact?
Kt Templar
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Kt Templar »

Rundquist wrote:Really? I guess they've still got the Cooper/US Wings contract intact?
I seriously think that should have run out by now.
St. Dumas
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by St. Dumas »

You'd think Disney would want to get licensed IJ jackets for sale at its parks. This would be the first time Disney would be able to sell them during a film's run. Given the movie tie-ins we're seeing this day and age, you'd think this is a missed opportunity.

_, what are the factors behind no licensed jackets this time around?

SD
Fedora
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Fedora »

I am happy to see this got posted here first!! Good deal!

With time being a factor, and with Bernie being really picky about the garb, I was not surprised when he went with Tony, who was local with no lead times on shipping jackets. I think Bernie prefers to do business with local folks, as that is probably what he is used to in his career. When Tony handed him a good replica very fast, that pretty much set who would make the jackets. IMHO.

I knew some mods were to be done to the jacket, but never asked, and he never offered to tell me.

All I know is that the costumer wanted tough costumes. Real world stuff, as opposed to costumer quality stuff. Probably the reason the shirt looks thicker too. I don't think he wanted the wardrobe to tear easily, and to hold up to the rigors of filming. I doubt he ever even considered lambskin that works better for nice gloves and casual leather jackets. You don't see many biker jackets in lamb.......Fedora
Satipo
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Satipo »

Fedora wrote:All I know is that the costumer wanted tough costumes. Real world stuff, as opposed to costumer quality stuff. Probably the reason the shirt looks thicker too. I don't think he wanted the wardrobe to tear easily, and to hold up to the rigors of filming. I doubt he ever even considered lambskin that works better for nice gloves and casual leather jackets. You don't see many biker jackets in lamb.......Fedora
Which begs the question: why was lambskin ever used in Raiders? Because it looked better the way it draped, perhaps?
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

They did most of the shooting in the desert. Lambskin was the lightest weight leather that Peter had.

He even referred to it as his 'summer leather' for a while. :wink:

Regards! Michaelson
Doug C
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Doug C »

I can understand Harrison's in-put and perhaps dislike of the jacket riding up when arms are raised (I feel that way too) and I'd imagine he'd make a request to get that changed some how. The common assumption is, (here atleast) is that the arm holes need to be raised and narrowed a bit, some even request multi-gussets to address the problem. So that's understandable. But I can't figure how this Bernie fellow or Novak for that matter, would instinctively know that the collar design needed to be changed. I mean I wonder what they based that on? Surely they can't be "more in-to" the move jackets than the folks on this forum and I can't recall too many folks here complain about how wrong the collar has always been. Most of us have studied screen caps of the jacket more than we'd like to admit,..daily. Could it really even be engineered in a radically different way and still look like it belongs on Indy's jacket. I honestly don't know 'cause I'm not in the business, but I'm just scepticle as usuall I guess...can't help it. Besides LeBoufes's jacket looks terrible, not like an authentic '50 motorcycle jacket at all, way too baggy un the arms and even has a fully black zipper. The one picture that I've seen of the IV jacket hanging didn't look like anything we haven't seen before - are there more shots I missed? This is just my opinion guys, for what it's worth.

Doug C
Satipo
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Satipo »

Just to be clear, are we saying that the collar in the original screen-used Raiders jackets doesn't sit properly?
McFly
Scoundrel

Post by McFly »

I'm sure the design wanted by Bernie could only become a reality if there were structural changes made to the collar by the maker (Tony), and probably nobody else would go so far and the collars were only coming out mediocre. I don't think it's so much of a "We need to fix the collar" as it is a "He wants the collar this way but that won't work unless I alter the..."

But that's just a hunch.
EDIT: Missed it - _ beat me to it! I guess I was right though! :tup:

Shane
rick5150
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by rick5150 »

But I can't figure how this Bernie fellow or Novak for that matter, would instinctively know that the collar design needed to be changed.
Nowak, not Novak. :D The guy who made the Terminator 3 jacket for Mr. Schwarzenegger. :wink:
Satipo
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Satipo »

It's funny, this collar problem that Westeds have (I've never owned or seen one in person, so I can only go from accounts given here). Why does it take a new, top-secretly engineered re-design to create the appearance of a normal looking collar on a leather jacket? You'd think it wasn't exactly rocket-science, and that a successful method would already exist and be widely known. I've never noticed these sorts of problems on the collars of my non-Indy leather jackets, but then they're not costume jackets. :?
Rundquist
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Rundquist »

Here’s an old post. It’s interesting to see how ideas are formed, and how perceptions change. Just to reiterate, Lee and Flightsuits never made a jacket for an Indiana Jones film. However, Lee’s/Flightsuits jacket was used as a base for both the LC and CS jacket. The Expedition is a completely different jacket.

viewtopic.php?t=7408&highlight=soldier+fortune
Doug C
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Doug C »

_ :
What I find funny is that none of the subsequent jackets - Temple, LC, or CS - are based on the Raider's jackets.
I disagree, they are all based on the Raider's jacket.

Oh and sorry Rick for the mispelling of Nowak, it's the first time ever I heard mention of this guy and was not a big fan of Teminator, though I have followed Schwartenegger's career a bit. Makes since that Nowak made those T jackets.

Doug C
Indiana Jess
Scoundrel

Post by Indiana Jess »

The collar on my Wested has been an issue with me for a while. It just won't lay down properly. In fact, it won't lay down at all. It sticks out like a pair of wings. Maybe something like the Flying Nun would wear to gain more lift [my aunt used to be a nun until she found out what nun (none) meant].
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Rundquist wrote:Here’s an old post. It’s interesting to see how ideas are formed, and how perceptions change. Just to reiterate, Lee and Flightsuits never made a jacket for an Indiana Jones film. However, Lee’s/Flightsuits jacket was used as a base for both the LC and CS jacket. The Expedition is a completely different jacket.

viewtopic.php?t=7408&highlight=soldier+fortune
I wonder if Lee has any left in inventory at at that price and in my size? :-k :wink:

Regards! Michaelson
Lee Keppler
Vendor

Jacket

Post by Lee Keppler »

Thank you, thank you very much! :wink:

For the record, _ is quite correct. My Adventure Supply Outfitters Jacket never had press studs(snaps to those of you in Rio Linda). I would NEVER take credit for something like that!
Shishak
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Shishak »

Out of curiosity, is the new jacket going to address the Wested sleeve problem? The Wested sleeves don't taper properly and the "inner" seam has a way of wondering to the front and over the back of the hand. Something that has always bothered me. Take a look at the side-by-side of the Wested and Flightsuits on the main jacket site and you'll see what I mean.
Cowboy
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Re: Jacket

Post by Cowboy »

Lee Keppler wrote:(snaps to those of you in Rio Linda)
Dido!!! :wink: