shamrock lighter

Bags, Boots, Shirts and all other gear should be discussed here.

Moderators: Mike, Cajunkraut, Tennessee Smith

VP
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by VP »

Hopefully he had backups, I recently lost two HD's and an ODD because of a power failure.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

I also haven't seen him log in since that minor San Francisco earthquake a week ago (where he lives). So, there's THAT to consider regarding his poor old computer.

Regards! Michaelson
VP
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by VP »

Finally got a reply. Got a #200 with Gen 5 Resin badges and a ziplight with an ultra bright white led on order, will ship in about five days.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Glad to hear he's responding again. I was getting worried.

You might want to add a ziplite to the order, VP. I love mine, and it's a great substitute if you're not wanting to carry the regular zippo lighter insert and need a REALLY good flashlight in your pocket instead.

Regard! Michaelson
VP
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by VP »

VP wrote:#200 with Gen 5 Resin badges and a ziplight with an ultra bright white led
Dang bifocals again eh? 8)
Bufflehead Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Bufflehead Jones »

VP, you been hangin' out with those crazy Canucks again, eh?
VP
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by VP »

Again?
Dostacos
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Dostacos »

relicraider is back replying in real time. I just ordered [2 days ago] and received my light insert today If ya want one, I suggest get 'em while the getting is good.

dan
Swindiana
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Swindiana »

Just ordered one too.
I hope there are some left. ;)

Regards,
Swindiana
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

VP wrote:
VP wrote:#200 with Gen 5 Resin badges and a ziplight with an ultra bright white led
Dang bifocals again eh? 8)
](*,)

Sorry about that. :oops:

Regard! Michaelson
Swindiana
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Swindiana »

Don't worry, cuz.
I thought it said "strip height with hind legs"... Whatever that is? 8) ;)

*Yeah, still awaiting the arriving of my new contacts*

Anyway, order confirmed so there are still some left.

Regards,
Swindiana
VP
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by VP »

The lighter should arrive this week, can't wait.
VP
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by VP »

Got it, no customs or VAT's.

Indiana G
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Indiana G »

nice "luck charm" you got there VP!
Perceval
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Perceval »

Very nice VP!

~Perceval
Dr._J
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Dr._J »

This thread makes me want to drive home and get my lighter! ;)

Great pics VP! I'm sure you're gonna love it! I use my Ziplite all the time (or when it's dark).

Regards, Dr. J
Swindiana
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Swindiana »

Lookin' good, Ville. :tup:

Got back in town today and got my LED insert. "It works like a charm".
*Cattle prod me... now!, cuz* There! ;)

I'll put this one to use, for sure.

Thanks RR!

Regards,
Swindiana
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Swindiana wrote:*Cattle prod me... now!, cuz* There! ;)

Regards,
Swindiana
:rolling:

HIGH regards! Michaelson
Swindiana
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Swindiana »

Thanks! :D

I can see clearly now the pain is gone... And I have a LED..., light..., insert...

;)

Regards,
Swindiana
Browncoat
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Browncoat »

What an awesome lighter! :shock:

I guess I'll have to crack the piggy bank to get one, too. :lol:
Swindiana
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Swindiana »

It'll be worth it. And if you ever gonna own one, there you have it.

Trust me. ;)

Regards,
Swindiana
balsho
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by balsho »

Yes its a great purchase, you won't regret it. Especially if you've tried to ever make one on your own, RR's work is a dream come true.
Relic Raider
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Relic Raider »

Hi guys! I apologize for having dropped off the earth for a while. I was on a vacation after the 4th of July, and when I came back my computer decided it was time to die for good. It took me a couple weeks to get back up and running, but I think I've caught up with most questions and requests. Michaelson, thank you for your concern, the recent earthquake didn't do any damage in San Francisco, although some windows broke and some sidewalks cracked across the Bay in Berkeley.

Thank you all for your referrals and for fielding answers regarding my lighters. Thank you for posting those nice pictures, VP!

Badge durability is always on everyone's mind. The urethane resin that I use is similar to most urethane resins, but it offers the best compromise of desirable properties (flexibility, UV and chemical resistance, scratch-resistance, thermal stability). An acrylic resin would be harder, but also rather brittle and prone to cracking. On occasion, I can't produce badges due to temperature or due to humidity. This can happen during inclement weather if it is too hot, too cold, or too humid. Please bear with me if this happens.

Because the resin finish will with normal use invariably acquire scratches, I always suggest the satin finish as the most durable finish. A satin surface will not easily show any scratches. Fine scuff marks and scratches can also be removed with 400 or 600 grit sandpaper. If you want to carry your lighter with loose change or keys etc in a pocket, you really should put your lighter in a protective bag.

ZipLights came up: I still have a few dozen new old stock units that are going to be converted. Demand varies, so I give up on attempts at predicting when I will run out. I will let you all know before I run out. Remember, you can also send me your old ZipLight and I will convert it for you. If you have a ZipLight that is not working or that has a broken or missing part, I may be able to help you, because I have a decent supply of spare parts.

I sincerely hope to be posting more, but I have promised that in the past and I just didn't get around to it. I'll try to do better!

Cheers,
-Relic Raider

PS: If there is a Philipp out there who recently sent me an email, I did get back to you, but haven't heard from you. I'm afraid my email was intercepted by your spam filter or got lost in cyber space. Philipp, if you read this, please get back to me.
IndyTaz
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by IndyTaz »

:) I just got a reply back from RR. I too am now looking forward to a #200 with gen 5 badges and ziplite. Can't wait to pay....almost LOL

One thing I will say is that you have great customer service RR...a nice email manner:)

VP...stop posting pics of this you purchase! I end up buying them too. I think I have VP envy!!! Mmm.....I think I will go to sleep now :lol:

Regards
TAZ
VP
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by VP »

IndyTaz wrote::VP...stop posting pics of this you purchase! I end up buying them too. I think I have VP envy!!
That's my job.
Browncoat
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Browncoat »

I got mine the other day with the Gen 5 metal badges and the ziplight. Wow...amazing quality and workmanship. I already had the Zippo "Limited Edition" one and the Relic Raider beats it hands down.

It feels like a tank compared to the Zippo version. So now I carry the Zippo version as a beater in the jacket and made my RR one a show piece.

Thanks for the information on the RR and his ziplights, guys! :D
balsho
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by balsho »

As soon as I got the zippo one I was mad cause you can just tell that the paint will just scratch off right away, so I didn't use it at all. Than as soon as I got my RR masterpiece I sold the official zippo version, its basically trash compared to RR's work.
Dostacos
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Dostacos »

I just got my new Elsa lighter with the light insert this lighter is FANTASTIC looking lighter beautiful, just beautiful

Dan[/i]
nicktheguy
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by nicktheguy »

Great! Now I want to get the zip lighter insert and one of RR's fantastic lighter bodies too. I had the Zippo version, but like previously mentioned, the side just scraped away.
Ark Hunter
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Ark Hunter »

I carry mine around in my Wested inner pocket, so I only have it if I'm warring the jacket. I've got the ziplight insert with bright white LED also as I don't burn the "baci" and hopefully won't need to set any rugs ablaze. ;)

I also have a hand painted one I made that sits on display and has the real lighter part.
Indiana Snipes
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Indiana Snipes »

So what exactly is available from Relic Raider? I go on his site and it says the Clover lighters won't be available for order. So what exactly are the options?
Ark Hunter
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Ark Hunter »

I don't know. It's possible he got a Cease and Desist from Lucasfilm. I've heard there's some of that going around.
Shtick
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Shtick »

Indiana Snipes wrote:So what exactly is available from Relic Raider? I go on his site and it says the Clover lighters won't be available for order. So what exactly are the options?
His production is hampered by wet weather, and San Francisco is notorious. Looks like he is halting production until Spring.
Indiana Snipes
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Indiana Snipes »

pschtyckque wrote:
Indiana Snipes wrote:So what exactly is available from Relic Raider? I go on his site and it says the Clover lighters won't be available for order. So what exactly are the options?
His production is hampered by wet weather, and San Francisco is notorious. Looks like he is halting production until Spring.
Really I live I guess that's where all the rain is going in California then, I live outside of LA and we've basically had huge droughts the last couple years. Looks like he's still doing conversions for Ziplights though, I'll just drop him a line here and see what I can get.
Shtick
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Shtick »

Hey, it rained one day last month down here. ;-)
Risu
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Risu »

It appears as though he's selling the stock that he's already produced? It's not very clear. Can anybody tell which version is closest to the movie version? It looks to be either the #200 Classic or the #230 1937 Vintage. It appears to be polished chrome in the movie though. Is that the same as Satin chrome? The #200 is the only one that's available in anything other than brushed chrome, and I'm almost positive the one in the movie wasn't brushed. Any thoughts?
balsho
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by balsho »

I'd say the one in the movie is a 200 brushed. But you couldn't be sure cause the paint they used covers what would be brushed. I got RR's 200 brushed Gen 5 version and it's GREAT!
Ark Hunter
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Ark Hunter »

Yeah, I'd say the 200 is screen accurate and if you want a period accurate go for one of the vintage ones.

The edges of the brushed are smooth so, as Balsho said, you couldn't tell if they were brushed or not as they are painted. I'd got with brushed.
VP
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by VP »

Risu wrote:Can anybody tell which version is closest to the movie version? It looks to be either the #200 Classic or the #230 1937 Vintage. It appears to be polished chrome in the movie though. Is that the same as Satin chrome? The #200 is the only one that's available in anything other than brushed chrome, and I'm almost positive the one in the movie wasn't brushed.
They used a #200 in the film and the most accurate version from RR is the #200 with Gen 5 Resin badges, which I ordered.
Risu
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Risu »

Cool. Is it true that he's still selling the ones he has left over, despite the fact that he's not making them?
VP
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by VP »

Haven't heard anything, let's wait until he chimes in.
Tennessee Smith
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Tennessee Smith »

I just got a #200 from him with the ziplight option, it arrived at my doorstep yesterday evening. Quite possibly the fastest shipping I have ever seen :D . From what I got from him, he is only selling the stock he has and will resume production in March.

If anyone here wants one I highly suggest getting it because this is just a gorgeous piece to have.

-Erin
Indiana Snipes
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Indiana Snipes »

Erin Jones wrote:I just got a #200 from him with the ziplight option, it arrived at my doorstep yesterday evening. Quite possibly the fastest shipping I have ever seen :D . From what I got from him, he is only selling the stock he has and will resume production in March.

If anyone here wants one I highly suggest getting it because this is just a gorgeous piece to have.

-Erin
That's pretty cool. I have been wanting to get one of those but haven't been able to get a hold of Relic Raider. Sent him another email tonight hopefully he answers and has a few more of those left.
Relic Raider
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Relic Raider »

Guys and gals, this is to no one in particular, but I would like to clarify that which obviously has been misunderstood. On my website it says:
Due to the cool season with its unpredictable and rainy weather I will not be taking orders for Clover Zippo lighters or Clover Zippo Badge kits until probably spring 2008. Producing a batch of clover badges takes under good conditions 3 to 4 days. Under less ideal circumstances this multi-step process can take 10 days or longer. Instead of frustrating my customers with unpredictable waiting times I am offering currently in stock Clover Zippo lighters and Clover Zippo Badge kits right here. Please email me if you see something you want. Do NOT send any money until I confirm your order.

I live right by the ocean and we have fog, rain, wind and sunshine. I am making badges as the weather and my schedule allows. What I can make available I do make available.

Cool. Is it true that he's still selling the ones he has left over, despite the fact that he's not making them?
Maybe you should be asking that question me? ;) I do not ever have any badges left over. As I explained, I am making badges whenever it's possible.

A couple more comments:

A #200 Zippo is the "correct" version. The sides which are covered by the clover emblems are brushed, the narrow sides, top and bottom have a polished chrome finish.

If you want to contact me, you are encouraged to send me an email, because the forum's Private Messenger fills up very quickly and doesn't seem to be 100%reliable. My email address and website are linked under every single post that I make.

To sum it up: I am making badges and lighters all the time. It's just quite a bit more difficult to get them done during the colder season. It all would be a lot easier if I were offering only one version badges for one Zippo model instead of four Zippo models (#200, #230, #162, 1941 R) and four badge versions (Gen 5 R, Gen 5 M, Hybrid, Metal).

Cheers,
-Relic Raider
Last edited by Relic Raider on Wed Oct 17, 2007 5:24 am, edited 2 times in total.
Relic Raider
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Relic Raider »

Erin, this is a very nice picture of your lighter! :tup:

Cheers,
-Relic Raider
Tennessee Smith
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Tennessee Smith »

Relic Raider wrote:Erin, this is a very nice picture of your lighter! :tup:

Cheers,
-Relic Raider
Please, the picture doesn't do justice to your craftsmanship. Thanks for the quick delivery and amazing piece of Indy Gear!!!!!!!!
IndyTaz
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by IndyTaz »

:D Yeah I thought the pic was good too. Exactly what I got in the mail. I have to admit the little cloth bag was a nice surprise. I love mine. I get a real kick out of offering my lighter to smokers in a dim room and watch them blind themselves. That ziplight sure is bright! :lol: Does anyone else do this or am I the only one?

Regards
TAZ
Risu
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Risu »

Relic Raider wrote:
Maybe you should be asking that question me? ;) I do not ever have any badges left over. As I explained, I am making badges whenever it's possible.
Already did, I'm the guy waiting until Thursday (tomorrow actually). Thanks in advance.
VP
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by VP »

Pics of my set when I received it:

Brendan
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Brendan »

Feeling inspired, I made a poor-man's version.

"Do not try this at home!" It doesn't hold a candle (sorry, a Zippo) to one of RelicRaider's works of art. I just made it to amuse myself.

viewtopic.php?t=24264

Cheers,
Brendan