Read'm and Weep!

Need help finding an Indy Gun, want to discuss film used guns...

Moderator: Cajunkraut

MK
Admin Emeritus

Read'm and Weep!

Post by MK »

I just won quite a prize:

Smith and Wesson 1917 45 DA. Nice condition with some blue missing off the high spots and it's missing the lanyard ring. What makes this gun is the odd 4" barrel length. This gun is nice and smooth for its age. Additional $25 for shipping.

I didn't know there was such an animal. I have been wrestling with this whole thing about which gun to get. I didn't want to ruin a WWII gun and I don't care for the smooth grips on the US version. The .455 has the gold medallion grips but there is no ammo available. The Brazilian contract guns are going for more money than they are worth (in my opinion). I was very disillusioned......then I found this puppy.

I know it is a little different than either gun used in Raiders....actually it is a cross between them. It has the site of the close-up gun and the style grips of the .455 used in Europe and African shoots. I know the medallions are silver instead of gold, but I don't care. No cutting. No extra money. I am done......except I would like a lanyard ring. Anyone have a spare?

I can't believe no one else bid. I snatched it up for $415.

Ok......I am done now. Thanks for listening to my rave.
Canasta
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Canasta »

She's soooo perdy.
Congrats!!!
Canasta
Chamorro
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Chamorro »

Bid? WHERE did you bid?
IndianaCollins
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by IndianaCollins »

way cool, man. looks great.
MK
Admin Emeritus

Post by MK »

Chamorro wrote:Bid? WHERE did you bid?
www.auctionarms.com
Bogie1943
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Bogie1943 »

You lucky dog, that's where I go to look for Indy guns too. Looking for a Webley myself.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Check with Lee. Occasionally he stumbles across lanyard rings in his travels. Congrats! That'ts a fine looking Smith. Regards. Michaelson
prettybigguy
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by prettybigguy »

That's a great find! I know you have been looking for a SW for a while. I have read, now I will weep. :cry:
Congrats,
PBG
Renderking Fisk
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Renderking Fisk »

That's pretty awesome. Did I get you right... the Ammo is hard to find or just doesn't exist anymore?
MK
Admin Emeritus

Post by MK »

I can't find any ammo in .455.......just people saying they plan on selling it someday.
Cooler King
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Cooler King »

Begged my dad to get that very gun, EXCELLENT find! Darn gun laws make it to where I can't buy one for 5 more years... anywho, congrats on your gun!
Rundquist
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Rundquist »

It feels good finally getting this doesn't it? It seems that the S&W is usually the last piece of gear acquired. I agree with you about the slight details, they aren't as important. Mine is a hybrid of the two guns as well. I've got the silver medallions on mine too, although I also have a pair of the checkered wood ones. I'm on the hunt for the gold medallions, but if I never found them, it wouldn't break my heart. I agree with Michaelson, Lee is the best guy to have on the lookout for the lanyard. Congratulations.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

As another thought, if you have access to a gunsmith of any decent ilk, they can make you a reproduction lanyard ring with little problem. That's what mine did for me for my Model 13, and you can't tell it from an original. Regards. Michaelson
MK
Admin Emeritus

Post by MK »

Thanks for all the kind words and advice. I am looking forward to taking this gun along on my next desert expedition. Which should be very soon if the California weather keeps up. :-)
Fedora
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Fedora »

No!!! You'll shoot yore eye out kid. :oops: Sorry. I couldn't help myself. Fedora
MaryonRavenwood
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by MaryonRavenwood »

MK wrote:I can't find any ammo in .455.......just people saying they plan on selling it someday.
You should PM HJS--they gave him quite a different and less expensive price quote and ship estimate than they gave you at OWS--they are shipping his around April 1st, for somewhere around $30 or so for a box of 50 rounds of .455 ammo.
Regards--Maryon
MK
Admin Emeritus

Post by MK »

Lee has found me a lanyard ring. :D
Lord Sinclair
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Lord Sinclair »

Fedora wrote:No!!! You'll shoot yore eye out kid. :oops: Sorry. I couldn't help myself. Fedora
How's MK gonna shoot an eye out? He couldn't find any ammo for this gun. Maybe he carries a backup howitzer on his desert adventures.
MK
Admin Emeritus

Post by MK »

Nah......that was for the .455. You can find good old USA .45 ammo everywhere.....and at a great price.
Lord Sinclair
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Lord Sinclair »

Nah......that was for the .455. You can find good old USA .45 ammo everywhere.....and at a great price.
Oh, looks like I didn't keep close enough track of the guns you own. MK. Say, wouldn't it be more practical to use only guns that have the same caliber? There wouldn't be any mix-up during shootouts!
MK
Admin Emeritus

Post by MK »

Thanks for the advice. It sounds like you know what you are talking about when it comes to shoot outs.

I have never been in one,........ so I wouldn't know.
Lord Sinclair
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Lord Sinclair »

MK wrote:Thanks for the advice. It sounds like you know what you are talking about when it comes to shoot outs.

I have never been in one,........ so I wouldn't know.

Hey MK, just kidding around. Didn't mean to jerk anybody's chain. Truthfully, I've never been in a movie style shoot out either (knock wood). Though when I did my one weekend a month a few years back there were some moments. Least here we're all gathered around a common campfire.
MK
Admin Emeritus

Post by MK »

No problem. I was having déjà vu. There was a time when there were a few bad apples masquerading as gear heads around here. They caused trouble and grief. Your comment reminded me of one of their anti-gun nut jabs and I got a little defensive. Sorry. I guess I am a little gun shy. :wink:

On a happier note......my FFL sent out his paperwork so my gun should be shipped by the beginning of the week. 8)
Bogie1943
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Bogie1943 »

Congrads MK on that beautiful peice, I am boiling over with envy right now. Have you had a chance to shoot it yet??
Oklahoma Jones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Oklahoma Jones »

MK, just saw your post.....sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet!!!!! Congrats on a unique find! O_J
MaryonRavenwood
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by MaryonRavenwood »

MaryonRavenwood wrote:
MK wrote:I can't find any ammo in .455.......just people saying they plan on selling it someday.
You should PM HJS--they gave him quite a different and less expensive price quote and ship estimate than they gave you at OWS--they are shipping his around April 1st, for somewhere around $30 or so for a box of 50 rounds of .455 ammo.
Regards--Maryon
It was $40 for 50 rounds (hand loaded by them, since the Fiocchi IS on a backorder of a few months.) That makes it 80 cents a round.
Regards--Maryon
Sergei
Admin Emeritus
Location: Off the grid, in from the cold - Jack's Canyon ~1119

Post by Sergei »

I just read the post, MK! Congrats! Let's go shooting in the desert!!!

-Sergei
Tannis
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Tannis »

Beeeeyyooooooooottteeefffuuuuuuuulllllll!!!

I love the wear & tear on the piece. Old weapons like this look best with their original patinae. On one of the watch sites I frequent they refer to the appreciation of natural wear as "wabi sabi". It's a Japanese term I believe.
MK
Admin Emeritus

Post by MK »

Woooo Hoooo! I just got an e-mail that my gun arrives tomorrow. Now I am ready for Nazis and other bad guys. Do you think I will have enough to get over to Iraq? :wink:
Indiana Cojones
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Indiana Cojones »

Indiana Josh wrote:You lucky dog, that's where I go to look for Indy guns too. Looking for a Webley myself.
And that's where I found my Webley last year. I paid too much for it (the local dealer I picked it up from made quite a face when I told him how much I paid), but I wouldn't trade it for anything. I fired off a few rounds from it (it's been converted to .45) but I've read stories about it loosening up the frame, so I don't have plans to fire many more.

Keep your eyes peeled for your Webley, but be prepared to pay a pretty penny!
Indiana
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Indiana »

=P~ I beleive the drooling smiley says it all. lol
Regards,
Indiana
Obi Wan and Only
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Obi Wan and Only »

MK --

WOW! :P

That is one beauty of a piece! Very envious, I am indeed!

Agree with your sentiment as to keeping the patina as well, especially on a beaut like that!

Guess that really isn't the kind of thing you can show and tell at the Pub, eh?

-- Obi-Wan and Only
MK
Admin Emeritus

Post by MK »

You never know what can happen at the pub. :wink:
Sergei
Admin Emeritus
Location: Off the grid, in from the cold - Jack's Canyon ~1119

Post by Sergei »

Obi Wan and Only wrote:MK --

Guess that really isn't the kind of thing you can show and tell at the Pub, eh?

-- Obi-Wan and Only
Obi-Wan,
You bet, there is no way MK or any of us would do that. :wink: Now a light saber, that's a different story. Hopefully MK, showed the great Graflex he has. :wink:

-Sergei
Obi Wan and Only
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Obi Wan and Only »

Didn't show it, but a wondrous tale he wove, yessss..........
schwammy
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by schwammy »

I don't know why I never saw this thread before, but that gun is great. It's actually what I'd like to have - a combo of the 2 Raiders guns. I like the half moon sight better than the ramped one, but I also prefer the medallions on the grip, so it's a nice compromise.

By the way, now that we know he was a spy, can somebody please take down that godawful "Lord Sinclair" avatar? It's bloody disturbing.