Indy backpack please chime in

Bags, Boots, Shirts and all other gear should be discussed here.

Moderators: Mike, Cajunkraut, Tennessee Smith

Gilly
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Indy backpack please chime in

Post by Gilly »

I am trying to get suggestions for what all of you would think Indy would have used for a backpack. I am looking for something that can carry enough supplies for my weekend adventures. Any ideas or suggestions were to look would be great. I was thinking one of the US military packs but would like to find something to fit the period better.

Gilly
Lord_Clarence
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Lord_Clarence »

Well, the first thing that comes to mind is the Young Indy Boy Scouts Yucca Pack.

I can't think of anything specific if you're looking for the '30s period.

Cordially,
Lord Clarence
Tollan
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Tollan »

Hi there,
The link no longer works as it appears that they are no longer selling this item..... any other sources?

cheers,
Tollan
Indy_Chris
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Indy_Chris »

The Filson rucksack from David Morgan - old school. Best, Chris
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Agreed

Post by Michaelson »

I don't think Filson has changed any of their designs since the 20's. If you can find a Swiss army mountain backpack, they're close in design to the Filson as well, and a lot cheaper. Easily found in military surplus stores. I've even seen them here in Tennessee. Regards. Michaelson
Mystique
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Mystique »

I like the Australian Army Knapsacks. They're more like a mustard
colored canvas, but they are very utilitarian and hold quite a lot.
I got mine at an Army Surplus store.
Magnum
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Magnum »

We definitely have the right idea with the selections above. Something very old world, probably a khaki type color and made out of canvas. Basically a much larger version of the MkVII with shoulder straps is what I think Indy would have used. Hopefully we'll find something perfect.
golpeo_rapidamente
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by golpeo_rapidamente »

A WW2 US army mountain troops rucksack(common on ebay,search for First Special Service Force or 10th Mountain divicision in the Collectibles Militaria WW2 section)is based on a civilian alpine sports pack of the late 1930s ,i use one of these packs myself.They can carry just about anything you would need for 2/3 days.
Later
sam
Archaeologist
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Archaeologist »

I finally ordered a swiss mountain backpack and did so after searching for months for the right (Indy type) of backpack. It arrived the other day and I must say...it is awesome. A perfect blend of leather and canvas and it is very very rugged. I ordered it from Cheaper than Dirt military surplus . Now I can work on filling it with more vintage stuff like this flashlight I just ordered from ebay....it was manufactured between 1917 and 1922. It is still in working order and looks very tough and may just come in handy.
Mike[/url]
Bushman
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Bushman »

M1936 Mussette Bag. Most of the online army-navy stores (Soldier City, Quartermaster, etc.) offer reasonable facsimiles.

Bushman
Archaeologist
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Archaeologist »

The M1936 Field Bag (Musette Bag) was a great addition to the field gear of the WWII soldier but it was considered more of a field bag than a back back. It was designed to clip onto load bearing suspenders worn by the soldiers which allowed them to unclip their pack without having to lose their suspenders which was also holding up an array of other gear. I have owned one of these bags in the past and it could be compared to the "butt pack" of todays web gear. The bags come with a shoulder strap since most people now would not want to wear the load bearing suspenders around. It is a great bag to use as a shoulder bag for day trips and such or as a suplement to a back pack and your mkvii if you have a lot of gear to carry...LOL. Of course this is just my opinion and others may love this bag. As I said before, this is a nice bag but is not really what I would consider a "backpack".
Hope this helps.
Mike
Archaeologist
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Archaeologist »

Here is a pic of the Swiss Mountain backpack. After I received mine I treated all of the leather with a conditioner which made it "feel" like new again except with that worn look.
Take care
Mike
brady
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by brady »

Looks good to me. I bet after a little destressing of the leather and some good ol' ruggedness, it'll look even better. I checked out the Dirt cheap website too and it doesn't seem like they have them in stock anymore so you got it just in time.
Archaeologist
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Archaeologist »

Actually they are very distressed due to being actual surplus from the swiss military, all in used but good condition and many years old. Try searching for "swiss" as the only keyword and it is on the second page listed as " Swiss Pack Salt &Pepper Canvas Leather Bottom Used Good" with 123 on hand.
hope that helps
Mike
Bushman
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Bushman »

Crikey, I hope no one is using an M1936 Mussette bag as a "butt pack"! It's a big bag. Well, maybe if you have a big . . . er, forget it.

:wink: Bushman
Archaeologist
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Archaeologist »

LOL well I should have explained better, the butt pack of today also hooks onto your web gear harness. I do not agree however that the M1936 Mussette bag is much larger than a butt pack of today, I wore a butt pack on my duty gear for 6 years and it would hold about half as much as my medium issued rucksack so they are fairly large. But again...thats my opinion. When I had my M1936 Mussette bag I could fit my goretex jacket and a few bottles of water...I just wanted something larger.
Hope that helps
take care
Mike
Bushman
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Bushman »

Of course you're right, Mike. Just having a bit of good natured leg-pull with the Indy gear gang!

All the best,

Bushman
Archaeologist
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Archaeologist »

LOL oh I know... my wife thought it was great too as she read over my shoulder...
Take care
Mike
IndyLee
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by IndyLee »

"British Pattern 37 web set consists of rucksack, haversack, suspenders, belt, canteen, bayonet frog, helmet netting and two ammo pouches. Most items are new with WWII dates. $25"

http://www.northridgeinc.com/sn-163.htm

The Haversack might be a good start for an Indy bag.
The picture of the set was better in an issue of Shotgun News than on the website.
Now I just have to convince my wife I NEED this set, even though I just made an Indy bag from a Czech shoulder bag.
Indiana Texas-girl
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Indiana Texas-girl »

Did it smell musty when you received the Swiss back pack?
Indiana Texas-girl
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Indiana Texas-girl »

Looks like this place isn't too far from where I live. I may just have to make a trip over there this week.
Archaeologist
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Archaeologist »

Nope it wasnt too musty. You could always spray it with a scent free odor neutralizer. I really dont think you will need to though, especially after you treat the leather.
Hope that helps
Mike
agent5
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by agent5 »

I have NO doubt he would have used this! http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... gory=32991
:D
Division 6
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Division 6 »

Ther has been a lot of Swiss gear on the market in the last couple of years as well as Swedish.
Sportsmans guide's HQ Gov't Surplus Head Quarters cataloge
tends to have a lot of cool older bags and jackets from all over Europe.
Right now I'm seeing a lot of Czech gear hitting the stores and magazines. they tend to be in more of the earth tones.

D6
Peacock's Eye
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Peacock's Eye »

You guys have been reading my mind. I've been looking for a canvas backpack since I saw a still photo a couple of weeks ago of John Russell wearing one on the old TV show "Soldiers of Fortune."