New G&B Expedition

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

GCR
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

New G&B Expedition

Post by GCR »

Just figured I'd share some pics of the new G&B Expedition I picked up a few weeks ago. It's a dark brown lambskin model, size 44 regular.

This is a great jacket which I very highly recommend. The details are great for a Raiders jacket, which is what I was after. I took some pics with my Wested Raiders lambskin jacket (this one was made circa 2003) for comparison. The Wested was also Dark Brown lambskin, but it has been heavily distressed. The D-rings were also replaced with the black metal loops from strapworks.com and the pocket flaps made extra-scallopy using the "PLATON hot water stretching" technique. Otherwise this Wested is just a regular, stock model from late 2003.

I have to say I love both jackets. The G&B seems to be incredibly well made, and the design screams "Raiders" to me, even though a couple details, like the zipper and stitching on the side straps are not 100% SA. The Wested is also a great jacket that has held up well to nearly 4 years of heavy wear and tear without any quality issues at all. My experiences with both vendors / products has been positive and I'd do business with either of them again in a heartbeat. :tup:

Anyways, enough blathering, here are the pics:

The G&B Expedition, with flash.

Without flash, and with my AB Deluxe

In the fading sunlight coming through my living room window

The following pics are with my Wested. The Wested is on the left, G&B on the right.

http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p163/GCR5/etc008.jpg

http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p163/GCR5/etc010.jpg

http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p163/GCR5/etc011.jpg

http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p163/GCR5/etc012.jpg

http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p163/GCR5/etc014.jpg

http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p163/GCR5/etc016.jpg

http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p163/GCR5/etc017.jpg

http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p163/GCR5/etc019.jpg

Another shot, side by side (G&B on the left this time) with my AB Deluxe.

-GCR
Last edited by GCR on Sun Aug 26, 2007 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CM
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by CM »

Good pics, thanks. Both jackets look very smilar. Even the pocket size/ flaps appear close. Would you say that the main difference is in the manufacturing?

Cheers - Chris
GCR
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by GCR »

CM wrote:Good pics, thanks. Both jackets look very smilar. Even the pocket size/ flaps appear close. Would you say that the main difference is in the manufacturing?

Cheers - Chris
Thanks CM!

One thing is for certain, these two jackets are more alike than they are different. However, if it's the differences you're interested in, here's a short list:

The Pockets: The Wested pockets are slightly taller and slightly more narrow, both by fractions of an inch. In addition, the pocket flap is not as long in the middle, and when new it was not as scalloped. All if this creates the look of a larger / longer pocket, though it seems many other Westeds do have even larger pockets than mine. The G&B pockets, by comparison, seem to be a bit more "square" and more in proportion to the rest of the jacket. The actual handwarmer pockets are a bit smaller inside the G&B than they are on the Wested, due to the difference in pocket size / shape.

The Strap Hardware: The Westeds come with the D-rings, but can be ordered with the "sliders". Actually getting sliders when ordering seems to be hit or miss. I did not request sliders when I ordered mine, I changed them out later. The G&B comes with the correct black rectangular metal loop sliders.

The Pleat depth: The action pleat on my Wested is deeper by nearly an inch compared to the G&B.

Leather Facing: The Wested has interior leather facing along the zipper, and around the inside pocket. The G&B does not, and has a simple interior pocket with just a little leather around the opening.

Lining: The Wested was ordered with the cotton body / satin sleeves option, the G&B came with the standard, pleated polyester twill lining.

Gussets: The Wested came without underarm gusstes, the G&B has two-piece gussets standard.

Yoke seam: The Wested yoke seam is on the same level as the sleeve seam, while the G&B has the correct placement of the yoke seam a bit higher up.

Smaller arm holes: The G&B has slightly smaller arm holes, that allow for a better fit and better movement.

There are probably a few more details I'm forgetting here, as I'm not a "jacket guy". As far as actual workmanship and quality of construction, both jackets seem to be put together VERY well. The Wested has withstood the test of time and wear and still looks great. The G&B seems like it will also hold up very well to regular wear and tear. Plus, the zipper and stitching are guaranteed for life on the G&B. The G&B seems lighter, softer and more "drapey" than the Wested, but that could also be the fact that the Westd has been distressed (naturally and artificially) and conditioned frequently over the years.

Honestly, to me, the big difference is in the little details like the yoke seam, pockets, etc. that give the G&B a bit of an edge in the SA department, along with their good reputation and the piece of mind of that lifetime guarantee.

But like I said, both are great jackets that scream "Indiana Jones". I love them both and will undoubtedly buy more examples of each as the years go by.

-GCR
Indiana G
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Indiana G »

awesome review GCR. these expo's are getting more and more appealing to me as the hobby goes on for sure and your pictures just confirm that. i am quite happy that you got an expo....really happy....especially a 44 regular :lol:

thats the size i wanted to order actually....can i bother you for some dimensions:

- armpit to armpit
- length from shoulder seam to end of the cuff
- length of the back of the jacket from the collar seam to the bottom

i may be joining the expo club soon depending on how good the dimensions fit me.....also, how long was delivery and what choices of hides did you have?
indy89
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by indy89 »

Nice jacket! I love the color.
Captain D
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Captain D »

Congrats!! Thanks for posting!! :D Beautiful jacket, it'll hold up to anything you put it up to...very durable.
High regards,
Aaron
hanson
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by hanson »

two great looking jackets G. how deep are the g&b pleats? my wested's are 2.25"and my prewested's are 1.25", both lamb, while my cow licensed ones are .75". the wested is a 48 and the prewested is 44 and the cowhide one is about the same. i think it was a med.regards hanson.
GCR
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by GCR »

Thanks everyone for the kind words! 8)
Indiana G wrote: thats the size i wanted to order actually....can i bother you for some dimensions:

- armpit to armpit
- length from shoulder seam to end of the cuff
- length of the back of the jacket from the collar seam to the bottom

i may be joining the expo club soon depending on how good the dimensions fit me.....also, how long was delivery and what choices of hides did you have?
G- I'll take those measurements and post 'em for you tomorrow. As far as the wait time, I don't recall exactly, but it was no more than a few weeks. I've heard that the wait time they quote you when ordering (if you order over the phone...I didn't) is overestimated and that the jacket typically arrives sooner. As for choice of hides, I'm not sure. When it comes to an Indy jacket, for me, there is no choice, as I always go for lambskin. I think they may have goatskin, too though.

Thanks again guys!

-GCR

EDIT: Hanson, I missed your post before. The pleats are approx. 1 1/2 inches deep.

G - I've only got an old ruler handy to measure the jacket, so if you want more precise measurements, I suggest you email or call G&B directly. I'm sure they'd be able to supply any measure you might need off of a stock 44 regular jacket. I will try to measure it as best I can for you though. Speaking of which, when you say "armpit to armpit" what exactly do you mean? :?:
Indiana G
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Indiana G »

thanks gcr! i'd trust your ruler more than what flightsuits would provide me. they weren't very willing to supply me the measurements except for the sleeve length i believe....also, from the measurements i supplied them they recommended i go with a size 46 or 48...which i've never worn in my life....a sizee 44 would be roomy for me so i don't know why their sales people would recommend that size. go figure.

thats a great looking jacket though and i hope you enjoy it buddy!
Indiana G
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Indiana G »

oh yeah, armpit to armpit is the measurement under the arms across the chest from where the sleeve seem meets the jacket seem. kinda right across the jacket when it lies flat on the floor. :D
GCR
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by GCR »

Okay G, as promised:

Armpit to armpit - 22 inches across the chest

Back panel from collar to bottom of jacket - 25 1/2 inches

From shoulder seam to end of cuff (at the longest part of the sleeve) - 24 1/2 inches

NONE of these measurements are 100% accurate. As I previously said, I've only got my old wooden ruler handy, so these might not be exact. It should at least give you a rough idea, though.

Anyways, this is a great jacket, and if you got the dough, I highly recommend picking one up! :tup:

-GCR
Indiana G
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Indiana G »

GCR, you are a gentleman and a scholar. thank you very much. it looks like those dimensions would fit me nicely....just gotta trim about 3/4" on the sleeves.

i'm break'n in the new wested at the moment so perhaps an expo will be on the wish list for now. but if it's GCR approved, then it'll be on the top of that list :wink:

cheers friend,

G
Abner1925
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Abner1925 »

Great looking jacket! :D
GCR
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by GCR »

Abner & _, thanks guys! :tup:

The Wested is probably about 70% natural wear / distressing and 30% me helping it along with strategic artificial distressing. I don't plan to do much, if any, artificial distressing to the G&B. I'll just let it age through natural use. Given how much I'm liking the Expo, I'm sure it'll see it's fair share of duty come jacket season. 8)

Oh...one more thing I neglected to mention above, is that for an "off the rack" jacket, the G&B fits me VERY well. Just as well as the Wested in fact. The "off the rack" sizing was my biggest cause for concern with the G&B, but, thankfully, it was a total non-issue. :D

I cannot recommend the G&B enough! :tup:

-GCR