Bernardo del Carpio's Raiders 8 foot kangaroo! Pics!

From falls & poppers to plaiting & cracking technique, this section is dedicated in memory of Sergei, IndyGear Staff Member and Whip Guru. Always remember to keep "Celebratin' Life!"

Moderator: BullWhipBorton

CarolinaQuirk
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Bernardo del Carpio's Raiders 8 foot kangaroo! Pics!

Post by CarolinaQuirk »

Were to begin? - my quest for a true Raiders whip has finally succeeded. I had always loved the old Morgans, but I also couldn’t afford the premium attached to his long-handle models. So I did my research and found Bernardo's site. He was greatly helpful during the selecting and ordering process (pointing out cosmetic and structural differences), and before I knew it, my whip was on its way.

Like a kid before Christmas, I've eagerly awaited the post office truck, and when it came by my place, I rushed out with the "Sorry we missed you card" to redeem it for a big box from Peru!

Opening it, I was treated to this breathtaking sight!

Bernardo indulged my request and signed the card!

Words do not do this piece of art justice - I held it in my hands, absorbing the smell, the weight and tactile feel of the leather. The plaiting is so tight, so intricately braided. It coils like a snake, and the slightest flick of a wrist produces that wicked whoosh-hiss.

Bernardo is one of the kindest, friendliest people I have had the pleasure of ordering from. He kept me up to date with the project, and sent pictures of what was headed my way when he sent it. His attention to detail is remarkable! Without a doubt, worth every penny.

Now you’ll have to excuse me - I have to find a nearby park :lol:

ydam
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by ydam »

that whip looks great quirk. I remember when i got my whip in and know exactly what you are talkin about. Enjoy gettin it broke in...i know for me gettin my whip broke in was one of the most enjoyable yet most painful experiences i have been through.
Indiana
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Indiana »

That's a great looking whip. Now we need some pictures of you crackin' that bad boy!
elcapitan
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by elcapitan »

does bernando have a web site?
IndyMo
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by IndyMo »

Indiana G
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Indiana G »

welcome to the club cq....i have the same whip but in kip hide. bernardo's craftsmenship is only equalled by his customer service. he is one of my favourite vendors on this site and a true class act. enjoy the whip, and make sure to crack with care.

cheers :D
Ravenswood
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Good Lord, that's beautiful!

Post by Ravenswood »

(biting hand)
seriously, congrads man! I MUST get me one of those!

:shock: :!: :D !!!!!!!!!
Have fun with that
PS-thanks for showing the unopen box. It brings the experience of receiving one a little closer to home!
CarolinaQuirk
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by CarolinaQuirk »

Thanks for the comment! I just got back from the park and all I can say is WOW! She cracks like a rifle and is nice and controllable. I've never had such a wonderful whip cracking experience than I did this afternoon. It's a testament to Bernardo's craftsmanship! :lol:
Indiana G
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Indiana G »

i told ya so!!!! :P
BullWhipBorton

Post by BullWhipBorton »

CarolinaQuirk, Great pictures, That’s a beautiful bullwhip. Bernardo does great work, its Very Raiders of the lost ark. Did you have any issues with customs or import duty fees?

Dan
CarolinaQuirk
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by CarolinaQuirk »

I didn't have any problem; it was delivered to me via the USPS. Bernardo quoted me a shipping fee and took care of the rest. The box had its declaration stamp on it with all the approvals, so I assume it was smooth sailing.
Bernardodc
Vendor

Post by Bernardodc »

Thank you Matthew for the rave review. I'm so glad you liked your whip. For me, besides the pleasure of whipmaking, there's also the pleasure of customer satisfaction.

I sent the whip via USPS Global Express. It arrived in 7 days. Here's a couple of the pics I took before sending the whip.

Bernardo

IndyChaos
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by IndyChaos »

Whew, that's a purdy one. One day. . .
Cheers,
Chaos
McFly
Scoundrel

Post by McFly »

Oh good Lord... that whip is one of the most beautiful things I've seen in a long time... =P~ :shock:

I think that's going to take the place of the Morgan on my "Have to get this" list. It's gorgeous... and almost half the price of a DM!

I LOVE the color. I love the tag on there too - that's screen accurate, right? To leave the one string on there?

Bernardo - do your whips come with a free extra fall? If not, do you sell them?

In Christ,
Shane
BullWhipBorton

Post by BullWhipBorton »

Thanks CarolinaQuirk. Quick delivery time too, Glad to hear there wasn’t any problems.

That bullwhip looks fantastic. Not to take anything away from any of our other talented whip makers, but when it comes to the Indiana Jones bullwhip, Bernardo’s got it nailed. Now if only he would tie the popper on with the right knot lol :lol: :wink:

Dan
doc riviere
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by doc riviere »

Bernardo's whips are still the best "close" / screen accurate ever !
Bernardodc
Vendor

Post by Bernardodc »

Shane,

Thanks a lot for the kind words. Yes, if you leave the tag string on, it will be Raiders screen accurate. I can send an extra fall free of charge upon request.

Dan,

:lol: I can tie the popper with the other knot, it's just that I prefer the current knot because is faster, as I dont have to thin the fall at the point as much, which also reduces the strength and service life of the fall.

Thanks Doc! those words are much appreciatted. :)

Bernardo
McFly
Scoundrel

Post by McFly »

Oh, just a couple other questions, and thanks for answering the previous ones.

How long is that particular whip up there? Are your whips heavy or really light? I don't like the whips that are really light and feel fake or like they could have a styrafoam core. I like the weight of my Stenhouse, but the Morgans I've cracked always seem a little... loose and light.

In Christ,
Shane
VP
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by VP »

BullWhipBorton wrote:Now if only he would tie the popper on with the right knot lol :lol: :wink:
What's the screen accurate knot?
McFly
Scoundrel

Post by McFly »

The other kind.

In Christ,
Shane
VP
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by VP »

Indiana G
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Indiana G »

i believe bernardo uses no. 4. i don't know what DM uses on his whips.
Indiana G
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Indiana G »

or is it no. 2? i can't recall if there was a slit in my fall or not.
VP
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by VP »

I and Joe Strain use #2.
CarolinaQuirk
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by CarolinaQuirk »

The length of the one I got was 8 feet, and when it comes to weight, I'd say it has a good heavy feel to it, and the weight distributes nicely. There isn't a portion of the whip that feels light or flimsy. Plus with the plaits as nice and tight as they are, it really feels like one piece of 'roo :P
Bernardodc
Vendor

Post by Bernardodc »

Thanks a lot Matthew :)

Shane,

As CarolinaQuirk said, it is an 8 footer. Keeping in mind that heavy an light are relative terms, and that it mainly depends to what you are use to, I can say that my whips are not too heavy or light.

I try to keep my whips medium weighted, so they have enough mass to crack easily but they don't feel overly heavy. A good american style/Indy bullwhip is supossed to have some weight anyway (as oppossed to an australian style).

That said, I like the weight of my Morgans, as they are well balanced and crack easily, and I follow that. My Stenhouse whip is just as heavy as one of my Morgans, so my experience with Morgan whips differ from yours.

As for the popper knot, I wouldn't consider it a part of the screen accuracy subject. In the movies you can barely see the fall, much less the tiny popper! Moreover, some whips didn't even had the popper attached.

The knot Mr. Morgan used to tie was the # 2, and the one he currently uses is the same I use and is number 3. It's a great simple knot and very secure. You can see it here:

http://www.davidmorgan.com/cracker.html?cPath=7_187_192

Regards,

Bernardo
BullWhipBorton

Post by BullWhipBorton »

You know, I was just kidding about the popper knot :lol: The second one would have been screen accurate for the first 3 Indy movies, that’s the Way David used to tie them, he uses 3 now. While I typically use 1 and 2 depending on the fall, number 3 is also a very secure way to tie a knot.

Dan
Bernardodc
Vendor

Post by Bernardodc »

I know you were joking Dan :lol: it's just that some fans take what you say TOO seriously!

ATB,

Bernardo
McFly
Scoundrel

Post by McFly »

How long have you been making whips, Bernardo? Is it difficult to get the hang of?

In Christ,
Shane