My first piece of gear has arrived! (few pics added)

Bags, Boots, Shirts and all other gear should be discussed here.

Moderators: Mike, Cajunkraut, Tennessee Smith

Jamie_H
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

My first piece of gear has arrived! (few pics added)

Post by Jamie_H »

I'm sure no one else is overly excited, but I got my first piece of gear in the mail today! I got home, and the Magnoli bag and strap were waiting for me. I couldn't be any more happy with it. Great construction and look! Uh oh, guys...I think COW really has me hooked now... :)
Last edited by Jamie_H on Fri Jul 13, 2007 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Post by binkmeisterRick »

Congratulations, Jamie! It doesn't matter what it is, but that first piece of gear in a new hobby is a precious thing. Enjoy the strap and keep enjoying the hobby! :tup:
agent5
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by agent5 »

Ohhhh the memories. Very good ones too.

Congrats. More to come, I'm sure.
McFly
Scoundrel

Post by McFly »

My first nice piece of gear was the MkVII, too! Only mine was WPG with an orange strap. :lol:

Congrats! Now you're on the path!

In Christ,
Shane
Indiana G
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Indiana G »

that is wierd.....really, really wierd....
My first nice piece of gear was the MkVII, too! Only mine was WPG with an orange strap.

that was my first piece of gear....what is it with the mkvii bags? perhaps its one of the very few pieces of gear that you can get delivered quite readilly.
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

The bag was one of my first pieces of gear, too. What I like about it is that it's a practical bag for every day use. In fact, most of the gear is! Also, the bag is one of the less expensive pieces of gear, so for many, it makes sense to start with the smaller things and work their way up.
Chewbacca Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Chewbacca Jones »

Well, it wasn't my first bit of gear, technically. I had a wool Indy hat about 20 years ago... but in terms of my career as a gear-head, the Magnoli bag was the first piece of gear to arrive (though I had an AB and a Wested on the way).
Jaredraptor
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Jaredraptor »

Nice! For me, it's either gonna end up being the MkVII as well, or the Akubra Fed (okay, technically my first piece of gear was an old Disneyland fedora, but let's not count that.....or the Masyer I've got now.....*shivers*...)
Indiana Kev
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Indiana Kev »

The MKVII was my first piece of gear when I started collecting again. (First was the disney fedora and a cheap whip but that was when I was a kid)...years and years later I asked for a Noel Howard bag for Christmas and got it. Glad to see the old MKVII is still bringing love all around.

Jamie_H - don't stop at the bag with Magnoli. I have his shirt and it is a fine piece of clothing. I can guarantee that when it comes to the shirt and pants, Magnoli is what I'm going to buy. :wink:
Mulceber
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mulceber »

Uh oh, guys...I think COW really has me hooked now...
don't think of it as "you can never stop," think of it as "why would you ever want to?" :twisted: :junior: -IJ
indy89
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by indy89 »

Wow! The WPG MKVII was my first gear piece, too!
Last edited by indy89 on Fri Jul 13, 2007 3:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
ob1al
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by ob1al »

Congrats on your first piece of gear.

Now hold on to your wallet, this could be a bumpy ride! :wink:

Al
IndyChaos
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by IndyChaos »

Hang on, lady. We're going on a ride.

Mine was an ill-fated Stetson Temple, followed shortly by my Dad's old Avirex B-2 bomber jacket. Neither was close to screen accurate, but I thought I was the cat's meow. I still have and wear the jacket because it's sooooooo soft after 20 years of wear. I'll eventually replace it with a Wested, but for now I'm fine with it.

Congratulations, my friend. Welcome to the den of theives. It's a good crowd.
Cheers,
Chaos
Perceval
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Perceval »

Congrats on your first piece of gear Jamie!
This is definitely THE best place to find exactly the Indy gear you're looking for!
Do you have any pictures to post?

Best,
~Perceval
Indiana Jess
Scoundrel

Post by Indiana Jess »

Jamie_H, hope you get as much fun and use out of yours that I do with mine (which was also my first piece of real Indy gear). Welcome to the road to the Poor House. :wink:
Indiana G
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Indiana G »

oh the evolution of a gearhead:

1. buys mkvii bag just to put stuff in when wearing a jacket with cargo capacity is too warm
2. buys wested as its getting too cold. still doesn't look like indy so no one will stare
3. alden 405's come in
4. buys fedora but doesn't wear it with jacket as it looks too costumey. feels good just to wear it with mkvii bag
5. you start wearing khaki stuff with your fedora and mkvii bag
6. one day its cool enough to wear your fedora and your jacket but stay away from the khaki stuff for now.
7. its dark out, so you put on all your gear and don't care too much
8. its daylight now and you got all your gear on. some people stare, but only the ones our age as the kids these days think indiana jones is an ice cream shop in the states.
9. you modify all your gear to ensure that they are the most authentic you can get, your fedora is a dead ringer for the fedora in chapter 1, minute 8, of the dvd. you are not satisfied with the stitching on your action straps so another jacket is on order, nothing but NH pants and shirts are allowed to come into direct contact with your skin, and a custom pair of alden 405's are on order as the brick colour is not to your liking...er...not matching to chapter 1, minute 8 of the dvd.
10. your wife stares and shakes her head at you as all of the minute details of your gear plague your very livelihood and beat you down.....you reply to her "it's not the years....it's the mileage"......she has no idea what that means and neither do you but you have an urge to bash your head into a mirror.......thats when you know you've gone too far......time to take the meds...... :lol:
Ripper
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Ripper »

:lol: :lol: :rolling: :clap: Bravo !
Dostacos
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Dostacos »

funny I just got my MKVII in the mail TODAY! [what price glory bag looks to be NOS {new old stock}]

I also got a mini ark kit in the mail photos to follow
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

I remember my very first piece of Indy gear. As a reward for a goal I had set myself, I saved up and ordered my goatskin Wested. In fact, that was because I stumbled upon IndyGear. I joined COW and did a lot of reading and asking of questions before taking the plunge. I was all the more excited since I had never gotten a cutom made jacket of any kind before and I had wanted a good leather jacket for a while. When it came to my door, I remember rushing home from work during my lunch break to open the box and try on the jacket. There really is something magic about that moment.
Ripper
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Ripper »

I guess mine would be the whip. My Dad and I were at a Flea Market here in Colorado and he bought it for me, it was an 10' 8 plait cowhide with a swivel handel. He paid $20 for it and I still have it to this day.
Jamie_H
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Jamie_H »

Thanks for the comments guys. Interesting to see many people started with the bag. Here are a few pics. If anyone wants more detail, let me know..be glad to shoot some more.

Strider
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Strider »

You have a fine bag there, and a good start!
Castor Dioscuri
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Castor Dioscuri »

Now THAT's a good looking bag!

I've got a MKVII bag from Endicotts heading my way, as well as a Noel Howard strap, but #### if that bag doesn't look BETTER than an actual MkVII!

I thought that having an authentic bag would do the trick, but I got to say, THAT bag looks definetly better than any 'real' MKVIIs that I've seen. I'll definetly have to pick one up for myself now...

Is that bag really brown-ish?
Jamie_H
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Jamie_H »

Castor,
On my monitor, the picture is pretty close to the actual bag...however, I did take it with a flash. Sometimes when I look at it, its green, other times, brown..lol. The wife said its "greenbrown". Go figure.
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

The color is meant to compliment the grey/brown hat. :lol: :wink:
RobbyT43
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: Well depending on the time, I could be in one spot or several...

Post by RobbyT43 »

Great bag :wink: Glad that you have joined the hobby- it is really addictiing :twisted:
Castor Dioscuri
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Castor Dioscuri »

Especially for obsessive compulsive peeps! Once you get the jacket, you gotta get the hat. Once you get the hat, you gotta get the bag. Once you get the bag, you gotta get the belt. Once you get the belt, you gotta get the pants. Once you get the pants, you gotta get the shirt. Etc...