Indy's Gun Was Really a Winchester

Need help finding an Indy Gun, want to discuss film used guns...

Moderator: Cajunkraut

McFly
Scoundrel

Post by McFly »

Oh yeah, that's true.

I've heard it several times before, and IIRC, it was Michaelson who also attested to this, saying that the real pistol sort of makes small popping noise, and that people are surprised to hear how quiet it is when it's fired.

True.

In Christ,
Shane
Kaplan
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Kaplan »

What I've wondered ever since I first saw Raiders is what gun made the sound of his Hi-Power in the raven bar. Whatever it was, it wasn't a 9mm.
balsho
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by balsho »

Yeah I do sound work and I've heard the sound designer Ben Burtt talk about it before. He did all the sound in the films so they would be like ones you would read in a comic book. Everything is exaggerated, you notice it with the punches.
Indiana Johnson
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Indiana Johnson »

On the bonus disc DVD with all the "making of" features they discuss sound effects, specifically with the gun. They mention that Indy's gunfire is a Winchester 30/30.
Kaplan
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Kaplan »

balsho wrote:Yeah I do sound work and I've heard the sound designer Ben Burtt talk about it before. He did all the sound in the films so they would be like ones you would read in a comic book. Everything is exaggerated, you notice it with the punches.
Call me crazy...I don't know where I heard it before, but weren't the punching sound effects made by hitting a pile of leather jackets with a baseball bat?
Indywannabe
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Indywannabe »

Kaplan wrote: Call me crazy...I don't know where I heard it before, but weren't the punching sound effects made by hitting a pile of leather jackets with a baseball bat?
Yea thats correct. And Burrt also used to brake chicken-bones, for the punch sounds.
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Post by binkmeisterRick »

Indiana Johnson wrote:On the bonus disc DVD with all the "making of" features they discuss sound effects, specifically with the gun. They mention that Indy's gunfire is a Winchester 30/30.
Yep. I have a Winchester 30/30 and I can attest to it's sound! When I saw that mentioned on the DVD, it suddenly hit me that the sound seemed quite familiar. The next time I took out the Winchester, I took especial notice of the sound, and sure enough, that's it! :wink:
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

webhead73 wrote:I also heard that they used a bag of lettuce heads and a baseball bat for punching sounds as well.
I would love to be a sound effects guy. It's amazing what they use to convey certain sounds. I saw a show where sound effects guys were showing what they used to make certain sounds. They took the sound of a sea lion at the zoo kissing the microphone and used that for the sound of human limbs being torn from their sockets. My favorites, though, have to be the guys at the old Warners Brothers studios who did sounds for the Looney Tunes. Take a reverse train whistle and a Tarzan scream, and you're set for most Roadrunner toons. :wink:
Gater
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Gater »

so, like..in the Raven..when the Nazi's are firing their submachine guns, that's really a sound effects guy who's REALLY quick with the lever-action reload??
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

No, I'm sure that's an actual machine gun. (Or a lot of bats on leather in quick succession.) They're referring to the handgun shots, specifically, Indy's.
Havana
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Havana »

The submachine gun sounds heard in the Raven Bar and other scenes in Raiders were taken from an authentic MP-40 recorded at a gunrange in California by Ben Burt. The MP-40 has a relatively slow rate of fire and makes a very distinct mechanical chattering sound which can best be heard in the Cairo street fight scenes.
Chevalier Krak
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Chevalier Krak »

My Dad has mentioned the difference in sound between American and German machine guns and submachine guns, and, interestingly enough, so did George Patton, in his memoirs of WWII. The sound of a pistol outside can be a small, popping noise, but indoors, as I can attest, it can be quite loud. Even so, the sound in the movie always seemed a little hefty to me, sort of like those silly videos where they have a chicken making a lion's roar or elephant's trumpet. I'm glad to find out that I was right.
BTW, I have heard a 30.06 wWinchester and an M1 carbine shot off inside a room (don't ask), and the roar is pretty deafening.
Ben
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Ben »

I found out that they actually used a Mauser 98K rifel for Indys S&W and Browning!
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Where did you see that, Ben? As Indiana Johnson pointed out:
On the bonus disc DVD with all the "making of" features they discuss sound effects, specifically with the gun. They mention that Indy's gunfire is a Winchester 30/30.
I have the same DVD and can attest to that statement. And again, I own a Winchester 30/30 and can tell you from personal experience that the gun shot sounds match it perfectly.
Ben
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Ben »

well i could be mistaken, but the mauser 98k is what is usualy used for gun fire because, it has a shaper loader and abrupt sound to it, adding to the punch of the sound in a film, but a winchester has less punch and often a more often weaker effect.
But having watched the special features you are correct :)
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

My Winchester has a very full sound to it with a nice "crackle." In fact, this thread is making me want to take it out of its case and do some target practice! I don't think they'd like that in the city, though. :wink:
Ben
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Ben »

ok faie enough, its just thats what i've herd are used in film in the past, so why not Indy, evidently not the case this time round
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Ben, I'd gladly get together with you if it were possible. You can bring the Mauser and I'll bring the Winchester and we can do a sound comparison. (Actually, I just want an excuse fir target practice! :wink: )
Ben
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Ben »

where do u live btw(country)
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

The other side of the pond, around Washington, DC. Wanna meet in the middle? :wink:
Ben
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Ben »

In the middle!
thant could be anywhere :o
carebear
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by carebear »

It's all relative.

If you are in a confined area, or next to a hard surface(s) you get a bit more resonance.

Spend a little time cracking off rifle fire without hearing protection, especially rifles with a muzzle brake that redirects gas backwards, and you'll truly know ear pain.
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

I always wear ear protection when I go shooting! (And eye protection, too!)
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Sure.... PULL!!!!! *BLAM!*
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: