How much do I love my Aldens?

Bags, Boots, Shirts and all other gear should be discussed here.

Moderators: Mike, Cajunkraut, Tennessee Smith

binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

How much do I love my Aldens?

Post by binkmeisterRick »

An awful LOT! I wear either my Indy boots or black 502 cap toe Aldens on a daily basis. My Indy boots could use a reheel if not a rebuild soon, but I noticed something on my 502's... I have a hole in the sole of one of my shoes! Just noticed it last night when I took them off for the day. I guess if you wear your Aldens as much as I wear mine, it's bound to happen eventually!

On another note, I talked with Kathy at the Alden store in Washington, DC about repairs on Alden shoes (as opposed to the entire rebuild) and she said that on most shoes, a trusted cobbler could probably do the work of a reheel or sole job. The problem is, she said, getting them to match the same quality of leather used on their soles as Alden uses. However, she said that in the case of the Indy boot, you really should send them to Alden for the rebuild since there's something different in how they make the Indy 405. She told me she has yet to see anyone do a better rebuild job on the Indy boot than Alden themselves.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Glad you're having such a great 'run' with your boots, old friend, but I'm sorry, I disagree with your friends observation that only Alden can do a good 'rebuild' job on your boots.

If you can find an 'old school' cobbler, they can run RINGS around Aldens in terms of repair/rebuild. I know, I've had both experiences, and had to take my 'Alden repaired' boots to my old cobbler to get THAT factory repair fixed. :roll:

Unfortunately, he passed away last year, so that door has closed to me for any future work. :(

Regards! Michaelson
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

I've had good luck with some cobblers on shoes of mine and she had no problem with me wanting to do that on my 502's. Her recommendation was that the Indy boot specifically be rebuilt by Alden. She never asked me to pass the information along, and my experiences with this woman have always been top notch. Still, you're right, there are good cobblers out there who can do excellent work, it's just a matter of finding them! :wink:
Indiana Jerry
Scoundrel
Location: DBSSWWD ~ "This is how we say goodbye to MIMES in Germany!"

Post by Indiana Jerry »

Thanks for passing on the info - you're right, these are lovable enough to wear every day, but that's going to get me to the cobbler all that much faster.

Personally, I've been popping off the speed lace hooks like popcorn. But I understand a decent cobbler can handle that easily enough too, right?

Thanks -
J
Indiana Jess
Scoundrel

Post by Indiana Jess »

You'll just have to do what I did Jerry. Buy three pairs.
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Three pairs? Why pairs? Why not any other random fruit?
Indiana Jerry
Scoundrel

Post by Indiana Jerry »

Shh...his feet are pair-shaped, but try not to make it obvious you are staring...
Kenal0
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Kenal0 »

Anyone got the Indyboots from Alden of Carmel? The ones made out of the shell cordovan.
http://www.alden-of-carmel.com/index.cf ... an_180.htm

Kenal0
Indiana Jerry
Scoundrel

Post by Indiana Jerry »

Digging around, doesn't look like it, but someone may pop up this time...

...$575? Ouch. That's roughly double the cost of the screen accurate but already high-end priced Alden 405's. So, less screen accuracy, but still nearly identical to the observer, and you pay double to keep it Alden.

Hmm...
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

I thought PBG got a pair of these a while back. :-k

Regards! Michaelson
Kenal0
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Kenal0 »

Yes they are pretty pricey but I have 5 pair of Aldens Cordovan shoes and they are indestructable. I am going to have to try a pair of these in the fall.

Kenal0
Mola Ram
Vendor

Post by Mola Ram »

Indiana Jerry wrote:Digging around, doesn't look like it, but someone may pop up this time...

...$575? Ouch. That's roughly double the cost of the screen accurate but already high-end priced Alden 405's. So, less screen accuracy, but still nearly identical to the observer, and you pay double to keep it Alden.

Hmm...
its the leather.
Simply put, its double tanned cow butt cheeks.
Indiana Jerry
Scoundrel

Post by Indiana Jerry »

Wow. That's just so easy, I'm shutting up now.
dejahthoris
Scoundrel

Post by dejahthoris »

Takes a good pair of double-tanned cow butt cheeks to put Jerry in his place. :wink:
VP
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by VP »

Double tanned COW butt cheeks? :shock:
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Well, I got my double tanned... err.... I got my Alden 502's back from a local cobbler this weekend and he did a FANTASTIC job on my shoes. He put a new half sole and new heel on these shoes and polished them up to the point they look brand new. The blending between the new and old part of the soles is top notch all the way. And where I could've paid $125 to Alden for the total refurbishing of these shoes, I paid the local cobbler only $47 bucks. Well worth it, in my book. Now I may or may not take my Indy boots to the cobbler when the time comes, only because I'd want to match the original sole and heel material on the 405. But for any other pair of shoes I have (including my black Aldens again) they go to this cobbler for repair.
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Good deal! Like I said, sometimes it pays to just look in your own backyard for some of these services! :D

Regards! Michaelson
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

I had used this cobbler shop years ago when I previously lived in this area, but after having lived away for so long, I think the previous owners are gone. But I chanced out the shop again and would happily return to do more business.
Kenal0
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Kenal0 »

Well actually the $575 shoes are Shell Cordovan which is veg tanned horsehide. It is much more durable than cowhide and more expensive. The butt cheek part is correct however. You can get one pair of shoes out of one horse. There is only one tannery in the US that does this type of leather, Horween Leather in Chicago. He also makes the Front Quarter Horsehide for Aero Jackets http://www.aeroleatherclothing.com/weba ... ubcatid=38

Kenal0
Indiana Jerry
Scoundrel

Post by Indiana Jerry »

dejahthoris wrote:Takes a good pair of double-tanned cow butt cheeks to put Jerry in his place. :wink:
When I said I had to work on my tan this weekend, I meant something else.
WConly
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by WConly »

I am on target here. I wear mine almost every day too. Except when it is really icy or for special dress occasions. I have two pair. The standard 'Indy's' and a pair of custom made 'Black Indy's'! The black ones are really special even the laces are leather! But, they do hold up well. W>
dejahthoris
Scoundrel

Post by dejahthoris »

Indiana Jerry wrote: When I said I had to work on my tan this weekend, I meant something else.
I don't want to know what that something else is, Jerr.

Now, to at least contribute appropriately to this thread, I was wondering if when you gentlemen have first obtained your Aldens, are they immediately comfortable, or is there a break-in period?

Best to all,
Dejah
Indiana Jerry
Scoundrel

Post by Indiana Jerry »

Hmm. Good question. Mine were a second owner, but only worn a few times. I recall them being GREAT immediately, and only a wee bit of stiffness that had to break in on the uppers. But I was also suffering from some foot pain, so moving to the Alden's from the previous unsupportive boot was the biggest deal that I remember being conscious of.
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

As with any shoe, there's always a certain break-in period, but I remember my Aldens being great straight out of the box. It may take some getting used to if you're not used to a shoe with a steel shank down the length of it, though, since your foot boesn't bend as easily.
djd
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by djd »

Ooohh! I ordered a pair a couple of days ago on-line. They shipped the same day. Very impressed and can't wait to get them :D
Indiana G
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Indiana G »

alden boots were one of the fastest pieces of gear to get to my door....(off the shelf boots that is). you'll be enjoying them before you know :D
Ark Hunter
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Ark Hunter »

I've heard that the 405's are meant to have inserts warn in them. Is that true? I've been waring mine w/o. Should I get some "padding" in there?
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

IndyDoc wrote:I've heard that the 405's are meant to have inserts warn in them. Is that true? I've been waring mine w/o. Should I get some "padding" in there?
The 405's are built to accommodate inserts and orthotics, but they're not required. I wear ortohtics in most of my shoes because my feet require them. I even put orthotics in my Aldens. In fact, the 502 Aldens I just had resoled are considered a "medical" shoe if prescribed as such by an orthopedic doctor. Combined with the ultimate support already built into the Aldens (the shoes don't end up "sagging" in the middle after time due to the steel shank) I find these shoes to be a fantastic investment for my feet.

If you're fine without any inserts in your shoes, then that's your best answer, I think. :wink:
djd
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by djd »

Yeah! My boots have arrived! Good fit and they look well made. Very happy :D
djd
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by djd »

Went for a 10 mile hike on Sunday in my Aldens and got a blister on my little toe! Not so happy... :?
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

A 10 mile hike?! How long have you been wearing your Aldens before then? If they're still brand spankin' new and hardly broken in, then it doesn't surprise me that you got a blister. What's more, Aldens aren't true hiking boots, so depending upon your 10 mile terrain, the blisters may have been inevitable. That said, I've worn mine all day while exploring Chichen Itza and various sites in Mexico, but my Aldens were already well broken in by that point and most of the terrain pretty consistent.
djd
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by djd »

You're probably correct. I have worn then for a few days before that and walked a few miles but they could probablt do with a bit more breaking in. It wasn't tough terrain- forest paths and a few hills. I guess you get used to modern Gortex type boots that don't really need breaking in...
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Yep. My Aldens had at least half a year's worth of breaking in before they saw THAT much hiking. :wink: