Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

PLATON
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

NH is the owner of a true TOD film used jacket

Post by PLATON »

Notice the two little details in the screen cap
1. The collar has become unstitched at the tip.
2. The top of the zipper has some small defect

Now notice the same details on the jacket in the possession of NH
Indiana G
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Indiana G »

that fact is on the indygear site platon.

nice pics though....where'd you dig those up and whose trying on the jacket?

oh, and one more thing....there doesn't seem to be any hint of those accordian wrinkles on the sleeves anymore...do you think they came out?
PLATON
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by PLATON »

The guy who is trying the jacket is someone who has met NH.

I think that after 23 years the wrinkles have every right to have come out.

Since now we know for a fact that the jacket NH owns is a film used jacket, why don't we ask him to show us how the straps are fixed (with what kind of buckle) cause this a question that troubles me long time now.
Indiana Kev
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Indiana Kev »

I'd say get him to measure the pockets too, but those look like the supersmall non-wested pockets.
PLATON
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by PLATON »

I'll show you one more screen cap about the pockets. Hang on.
Indiana G
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Indiana G »

i received correspondence from noel stating that the pockets on that jacket is 6" tall by 5.5" wide. i didn't want to trouble him about the straps in the back.

this is what is on the indygear site on the TOD jacket from noel:

Temple of Doom Jacket:
General Description: similar to the Raiders Jacket, but with a slightly longer length (1").

Length of jacket (length of storm flap) 22 3/4"
Length of nickel zipper 21"
Cargo pocket dimensions 6" tall x 5"wide with the flap measuring 2 3/4" down the center
Collar description Collar edge 'slightly rounded'
Cargo pockets placement 2.5" from zip or storm flap and 2.5" from bottom of jacket
Side straps placement Bottom of straps are 5" from the bottom of the jacket
Storm flap width 1.5"
Suggested sleeve meaurement 2" below bottom of jacket as worn
Side strap buckles Pronged buckles in antique brass. For added screen accuracy, do not get eyelets placed in strap, as the film jacket only had holes in the leather for the buckle prongs
"I ordered it in goatskin with satin sleeves and a cotton body." Yurik
Indiana Kev
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Indiana Kev »

Those are good shots, definately shows the smaller pockets.
Abner1925
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Abner1925 »

PLATON wrote:The guy who is trying the jacket is someone who has met NH.

I think that after 23 years the wrinkles have every right to have come out.

Since now we know for a fact that the jacket NH owns is a film used jacket, why don't we ask him to show us how the straps are fixed (with what kind of buckle) cause this a question that troubles me long time now.
We knew for a fact that Noel Howard had a screened used jacket before you posted this Platon. Not only because he said so, but also because it has been on the Indy gear site for some time (as Indiana G posted as well). You seem intent on discovering things that in many cases, have been documented for years.
St. Dumas
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by St. Dumas »

Abner1925 wrote:We knew for a fact that Noel Howard had a screened used jacket before you posted this Platon. Not only because he said so, but also because it has been on the Indy gear site for some time (as Indiana G posted as well). You seem intent on discovering things that in many cases, have been documented for years.
Another acceptable response is, "Thanks, Platon". Fact is, other than the occasional walk-on by Peter, or a member posting pics of his new Wested, Platon's theories, screencaps and design comments are the only things keeping this forum fresh.
Abner1925
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Abner1925 »

Yeah, or I could have responded as I saw fit, which I did. You are welcome to your opinion of Platon's theories if you like. I have been around the hobby long enough to have heard them a few times by now. So, pardon me if I'm not that refreshed.
independent
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by independent »

6" x 5.5" - FINALLY! Sounds right! BOOK IT!
VP
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by VP »

Hey PLATON, please crop the first pic a bit.
davyjones007
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by davyjones007 »

after reading so many of these tid bits about "screen accurate" jackets, I was wondering if all the jackets in ALL the movies were made the same? May be a better way to say this is were all TOD jackets made the same way?
whiskyman
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by whiskyman »

I've worn that jacket too, it fit me perfectly! Nice to see pics identifying when it appeared on screen! :D
graal
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by graal »

PLATON
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by PLATON »

i received correspondence from noel stating that the pockets on that jacket is 6" tall by 5.5" wide. i didn't want to trouble him about the straps in the back.

this is what is on the indygear site on the TOD jacket from noel:

Temple of Doom Jacket:
General Description: similar to the Raiders Jacket, but with a slightly longer length (1").

Length of jacket (length of storm flap) 22 3/4"
Length of nickel zipper 21"
Cargo pocket dimensions 6" tall x 5"wide with the flap measuring 2 3/4" down the center
Collar description Collar edge 'slightly rounded'
Cargo pockets placement 2.5" from zip or storm flap and 2.5" from bottom of jacket
Side straps placement Bottom of straps are 5" from the bottom of the jacket
Storm flap width 1.5"
Suggested sleeve meaurement 2" below bottom of jacket as worn
Side strap buckles Pronged buckles in antique brass. For added screen accuracy, do not get eyelets placed in strap, as the film jacket only had holes in the leather for the buckle prongs
"I ordered it in goatskin with satin sleeves and a cotton body." Yurik
You are forgetting the important detail that the action pleat goes almost all the way down the bottom of the jacket.
Captain D
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Captain D »

Interesting observation about the collar. Even though I'm a fan of the LC distressing, I've always liked the ToD jacket better simply because it looks more "naturally" distressed as compared to the LC. BTW, is the ToD jacket a size 42 reg. just outta curiosity?

To those who have tried on this screen-used ToD jacket; I can only imagine how it must have felt to put that jacket on! That's an incredible honor indeed! :D Thank you for posting!
IndyBlues
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by IndyBlues »

Here are a few more pics of that jacket, including a nice shot of the open pleats, AND the strap buckle.

These were posted before on COW, not sure who's they are, but I saved them. Figured they may help.
'Blues
agent5
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by agent5 »

I believe that's Chris King wearing the jacket.
doc riviere
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by doc riviere »

this Noel howard's ToD jacket looks exactly as a raiders stunt jacket ! and it seems too much used for a ToD...
PLATON
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by PLATON »

No, it is too long to be a Raiders stunt jacket.
And if you watch again ending scene of TOD you will see that it's not too much used.
doc riviere
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by doc riviere »

PLATON wrote:
And if you watch again ending scene of TOD you will see that it's not too much used

Good point !
PLATON
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by PLATON »

Well, I don't know how it happened but I said exactly the opposite of what I wanted to say.

The jacket IS too much used at the end of TOD.

photos coming soon..
VP
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by VP »

VP wrote:Hey PLATON, please crop the first pic a bit.
Abner1925
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Abner1925 »

It just needs an application of the mink oil they used then, to help out all the super dry areas. That would bring it back alot closer to what is seen on screen. That is Chris King wearing the jacket in the photos posted by Indyblues. The pockets of this jacket do look an awful lot like the ones Terry Leonard had on his stunt jacket. Either they used stunt jackets in TOD, which is one of the old tales we've heard for years. Or, the French company that made them in a pinch, copied the stunt jackets pattern to do so.

And Platon, when you say "your" strap configuraton, you are of course referring to one of the types used in the film and not your own. I'm sorry, but noticing that one of the different types of hardware used by someone else in a movie, doesn't make it yours. :wink:
PLATON
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by PLATON »

And Platon, when you say "your" strap configuraton, you are of course referring to one of the types used in the film and not your own. I'm sorry, but noticing that one of the different types of hardware used by someone else in a movie, doesn't make it yours.
It is the strap configuration used in the films. I said "mine" because I am the first one who has introduced it here (I am talking about the triglide). I think I am the only one using it and I cannot tell how many others believe that in Raiders it was like this. I posted photos but people are still very sceptical.

It seems that everybody still uses the double back configuration earlier proposed and supported also by Agent5.
Abner1925
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Abner1925 »

I'm picking on you man, but you have to admit, it's still not your configuration is it? It was done by someone else 26 years ago. My only point behind this is, you seem to want credit for everything and there is nothing to gain from it anyway. Just do your research and enjoy the findings, but don't act like you are the first to do it or the one to discover something new. To discover something that has already been done by someone else isn't much to brag about. Don't worry about everything being the ultimate this or that, and don't worry about being the one to get the credit. People will appreciate your research for what it is alot better that way.
Last edited by Abner1925 on Thu Feb 01, 2007 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
agent5
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by agent5 »

The jacket IS too much used at the end of TOD.
I'm not sure what this means? How can it be too used? They will distress it any way they see fit.
this Noel howard's ToD jacket looks exactly as a raiders stunt jacket !
We've been looking at this for some time now, Doc. Here is my theory on the TOD jackets.

I think that there were jackets made by the French company we've always heard about but they were not used. I believe that the jacket seen in TOD throughout the film is a Raiders stunt jacket. I believe the length may be a but longer die to that they probably had to add a bit of room for the stunt pads. With the stunt pads in the jacket would raise up a bit.

Nevermind the ammount of distressing involved, nor the length, which really isn't an issue anyways. Look at the construction.

Now, there is a chance that the Raiders stunt jackets were constructed a specific way for stunts and another company was sent one of them to do all of the TOD jackets, but I've heard for some time now that Raiders stunt jackets were re-used in TOD. Only thing is, I think pretty much everyone assumed they were only used in stunts. However, stunts in the jacket were very minimal in the film.

I think that the Raiders stunt jackets could very well have been the US Wings jackets we were told were made for the film. There are some jackets used in Raiders that are slightly different in appearance. Perhaps the Westeds were used as the hero jackets and the Wings were used for stunts, almost matching the Westeds. I know the recent pics of the Wings jacket made me think it resembled a Raiders stunt.

One thing is certain if you want to make the comparrison between the Raiders stunt and TOD jacket. You have to stop looking at the hero jackets from Raiders or LC. You cannot pay attention and compare any of the jacket offerings we have with the screen used jackets either. JUST look at the TOD screen caps/bts footage and the bts Raiders stunt footage along with the NH jacket. That's it. The ammount of distressing on any jacket means nothing. It could have changed at any time. They could have taken a new, unused Raiders stunt jacket and revamped it a bit. Changed out hardware and distressed it to thier liking. There could have been a heavily distressed one at the beginning of the film and a more non-distressed one at the end. That's moviemaking, not proof of anything.
St. Dumas
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by St. Dumas »

delete please
PLATON
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by PLATON »

agent5 I agree with most what you say.
For the record I remind that Nadoolman said there were 10 jackets for Raiders.

Now it could have been 2 Westeds and 8 US wings.
Otherwise, how else Peter made all the jackets in 3 days? (why does he make mine in 21 days?)

Maybe Peter made 2 jackets for HF only. Peter had HF's size. But did he have sizes for the stuntmen?

The onstruction of the jacket Terry Leonard wears looks a lot like TOD (collar, yoke, pockets) but it's just TOO short.
Puppetboy
Vendor

Post by Puppetboy »

Look. The pockets and placement match. Does it look long enough?
PLATON
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by PLATON »

And if you see this jacket has almost the same strap configuration as mine above
Maybe it's my english....
I'm picking on you man, but you have to admit, it's still not your configuration is it? It was done by someone else 26 years ago. My only point behind this is, you seem to want credit for everything and there is nothing to gain from it anyway. Just do your research and enjoy the findings, but don't act like you are the first to do it or the one to discover something new. To discover something that has already been done by someone else isn't much to brag about. Don't worry about everything being the ultimate this or that, and don't worry about being the one to get the credit. People will appreciate your research for what it is alot better that way.
I never said the configuration is mine. I said 'as mine' because it's the same as in my jacket (which is mine).

I don't want credit. I want cash. But it seems I can't get any of them. I do my research for my own benefit and to satisfy my curiosity. If anyone else agrees that gives me more confidence that my findings are correct and not something that I am the only one who can see.

I don't brag. I am just happy because I think I solved a problem and gave an answer to to a question many people have. Happy for helping out the friends here.

I only brag about my pants as being ultimate. It's my right cause I believe it's the truth. But you will not find out until you buy one.

But if you want to believe that I am braging you have every right to have your opinion, of course, what can I say?
doc riviere
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by doc riviere »

I see Agent5. and of course distressing is not a proof, but this ToD jacket just looks to me different of the one worn by ford..

i know from Pat Roach that he and other stunts members put themselves some modification on the gear.
PLATON
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by PLATON »

Look. The pockets and placement match. Does it look long enough
Look at the length of the sleeves compared to where the hem of the jacket its. Compare that to TOD.
PLATON
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by PLATON »

VP wrote:
Hey PLATON, please crop the first pic a bit.
I can't do that from here, but anyway it's not my pic but some avatar that's causing this.
whiskyman
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by whiskyman »

I seem to remember that the French company produced a jacket and that Ford didn't like it. Perhaps as a result they dug out a Raiders stunt jacket for him.
VP
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by VP »

PLATON wrote: it's not my pic but some avatar that's causing this.
Bull$#!+, it's an overwide screenshot of Indy and Willie that's located on your domain. All your pics and avatars are located there, plus your email address.
agent5
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by agent5 »

The onstruction of the jacket Terry Leonard wears looks a lot like TOD (collar, yoke, pockets) but it's just TOO short.
What evidence do you have that it is longer than any Raiders jacket?

Keep in mind that Terry Leonard in that pic is wearing heavy padding under the jacket. If you were to take any jacket and add alot more clothing or padding under it, it is bound to ride up.
I'm not even seeing the TOD jacket as being incredibly long anyways. After all, we're taling about an inch, not the difference between a Raiders length jacket and a 3/4 jacket.
One other thing I thought of is that Leonard may be several inches taller than Ford, resulting in a much smaller appearance.
agent5 I agree with most what you say.

As well you should. :lol: Just kiddin'.
For the record I remind that Nadoolman said there were 10 jackets for Raiders.
Perhaps she was talking about Hero jackets only?
I see Agent5. and of course distressing is not a proof, but this ToD jacket just looks to me different of the one worn by ford..
Not Ford, but Terry Leonard. See pic above of Terry Leonard.
Last edited by agent5 on Thu Feb 01, 2007 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Abner1925
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Abner1925 »

This is the culprit VP speaks of -
http://www.stardust-records.com/partners/todnh1red.JPG

If you want to to toot your own horn to sell pants, go for it. I have no need of them myself, and reserve the right to bestow the term "ultimate pants" to a pair made by Noel Howard, not you.
PLATON
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by PLATON »

Bull$#!+, it's an overwide screenshot of Indy and Willie that's located on your domain. All your pics and avatars are located there, plus your email address.
And what do you have to say about this?

About the overwide pic on my server, as I said that is not causing the problem (unless you have a 14'' monitor).
I can't fix it cause I have no access to my server from here.
PLATON
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by PLATON »

If you want to to toot your own horn to sell pants, go for it. I have no need of them myself, and reserve the right to bestow the term "ultimate pants" to a pair made by Noel Howard, not you.
That's why Noel Howard will charge you with his ultimate price.
As to how ultimate is to ve perceived, there are two schools. The sceen accuracey and the originality. My pants are ultimate in screen accuracy (or at least that's what I say). Noel's pants are ultimate in originality.

Anyway, you are attacking me all day today so I am going to rest. If you want to say anything more against me you are very welcome to send me a PM cause we should not bother the people here with our own differences.
Abner1925
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Abner1925 »

PLATON wrote:
That's why Noel Howard will charge you with his ultimate price.
As to how ultimate is to ve perceived, there are two schools. The sceen accuracey and the originality. My pants are ultimate in screen accuracy (or at least that's what I say). Noel's pants are ultimate in originality.

Anyway, you are attacking me all day today so I am going to rest. If you want to say anything more against me you are very welcome to send me a PM cause we should not bother the people here with our own differences.
I'm not attacking you at all, simply voicing my opinions on publicly posted issues you bring up.
PLATON
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by PLATON »

I must admit that what agent5 is saying that the TOD jacket was a Raiders stunt is pretty much right.

As mentioned earlier, in the photos we have, the jacket that Terry Leonard wears has a collar, yoke and pockets that look identical with the sceen used TOD jacket (that's now owned by NH).

My only doubt was the length of the jacket. Agent5's argument was that they used this padding under the jacket, but this didn't convince me.

But looking at the below photo did!!!

Just look at the length of this jacket. What do you think?

My final conclusion now is that the TOD jacket was the one and the same worn by Terry Leonard and now in possession of NH.
VP
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by VP »

PLATON wrote:
And what do you have to say about this?

Exactly the allowed size, he fixed it 10 minutes after I commented on it.
PLATON wrote:About the overwide pic on my server, as I said that is not causing the problem (unless you have a 14'' monitor).
Your pic was the only element which was strecthing the page on my computer. I have a 17" monitor with a 1024x768 resolution, which according to http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_stats.asp is used by 58% of all web users.
PLATON
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by PLATON »

Well now he enlarged it again
VP
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by VP »

Huh? :-s It's still 100x75, and the only pic of that statue on his Photobucket account.

But now back on topic. ;)
Rabittooth
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Rabittooth »

VP wrote:
VP wrote:
PLATON wrote: it's not my pic but some avatar that's causing this.

When did you become a moderator here VP? I don't see your title under your name or anything. Is this an oversight on the administrators part or what?

-Rabittooth
VP
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by VP »

Just politely asked PLATON to resize the overwide screenshot because it messed up the layout big time.
Rabittooth
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Rabittooth »

VP wrote:Just politely asked PLATON to resize the overwide screenshot because it messed up the layout big time.
You sure? Cause you come off sounding angry when you say things like "Bull$#!+, " to folks regarding a moderating issue that's not your responsibility or concern. You don't seem like you're asking and you certainly don't seem polite...at least not to me. But I suppose that could just be my perception. I thought for sure someone who behaves the way you do on this board must certainly be at least a mod here. Just wanted to clear it up.

:D

-Rabittooth
VP
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by VP »

It was irritating that he first ignored my request even though there were lots of long posts that required tedious scrolling back and forth, and after a bump he tried to claim that it wasn't his fault when it clearly was. And now let's get back on topic, please. :)

You can delete your latest post, BTW.