New Repro Mk VI Gasmask bag

Bags, Boots, Shirts and all other gear should be discussed here.

Moderators: Mike, Cajunkraut, Tennessee Smith

Trotsky
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

New Repro Mk VI Gasmask bag

Post by Trotsky »

Hey everyone, I ordered a Mk VI Gas mask bag from Lawrance Ordnance in Australia a few months ago and I would like to HIGHLY reccomend it. I use the Mk VI because of the number of pockets; it fits better with my needs.

http://www.lawranceordnance.com/new/equ ... ction.html

The price was decent, the shipping and service were excellent. The bag itself itself is really, really nice and well made with original hardware on the strap, not that any of us use the original strap....
Anyway, I cannot reccomend these guys enough.
indy89
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by indy89 »

Thanks for the heads up Trotsky. That is one nice lookin' bag.
Baggers
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Baggers »

I got one of those several months back. It's a great bag and I can personally vouch for it's sturdiness. I recently switched my daily use gear over to another bag, a repro U.S. M1938 map case, in order to help break it in for a short film I costumed, but I'm going to switch back to the Lawrance MKVI as it does have a better pocket arrangement. After all that time in near daily use, all it has to show for it is some surface grime and slight softening of the fabric. Unless you plan on dragging it (or yourself while wearing it) behind a truck, you should get plenty of use out of it. Enjoy!

Cheers!
Snakewhip_Sable
Scoundrel

Post by Snakewhip_Sable »

Anyone have photos of the inside?
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

No. It's dark in there. :roll: :wink:

Regards! Michaelson
Baggers
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Baggers »

Beat ya, VP!
Check out this thread. Gee, turns out I've had this bag for over a year. Cool. I like that I can put a bottle of water in the pocket next to the one holding my DayTimer. And the two pockets on the back are great for things like writing instruments and my checkbook cover.

Cheers!
VP
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by VP »

Baggers wrote:Beat ya, VP!
Come on, I was scouting today and yesterday and you posted that at 3 AM yesterday morning.
Baggers
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Baggers »

VP wrote:Come on, I was scouting today and yesterday and you posted that at 3 AM yesterday morning.
Yeah, well, I may have gotten a bit overexcited. I did realize the time difference after posting.

But I'll I'll take my wins where I can get them. Remember, old age and treachery beats youth and skill any day. :lol:

Cheers!
randystokes
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by randystokes »

Michaelson wrote:No. It's dark in there. :roll: :wink:

Regards! Michaelson
Outside of a dog, man's best friend is a book.
Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.
- Groucho Marx.

Randy
Sheffield Jones
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Sheffield Jones »

I got one of those bags for Christmas last year and have carried it almost every day of this year(it has been to work with me every day,Vacation in California,Trip to the Dismals,Camping Twice,& a bunch of hikes.).The only complaint I have is it has faded abunch over the course of the year but now at least it looks more vintage.
Very much worth it though.
philby
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by philby »

I reckon I'll get this bag after reading everyones impressions, can anyone recommend a suitable strap (preferably in Australia, but will order from OS if necessary) ?

Philby
VP
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by VP »

Nothing in Australia AFAIK, but Indy Magnoli sells a nice strap in New Zealand. https://host385.ipowerweb.com/~indyprop ... ucts_id=66
Indiana G
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Indiana G »

i can vouch that the strap is excellent.
philby
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by philby »

Thanks for the advice guys, I'll marry the strap up with the Mk VI Gas mask bag from Lawrance Ordnance, is the strap 'stainless' on clothing?

What color strap from Magnoli for a ROTA look?
VP
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by VP »

Dusty Brown or Burgundy, Matte Black is ToD style. I got a DB for a Secret Santa gift, it was a bit light but some Pecards darkened it nicely.

Brand new, flash:

With Pecards, no flash:

Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Baggers wrote: Remember, old age and treachery beats youth and skill any day. :lol:

Cheers!
One of my favorite and MUCH used saying, Baggers. I actually have a coffee cup that has that on the side, given to me by my niece, who has heard me say that on more than ONE occasion in her life. (grins) :wink:

Regards! Michaelson
Indiana G
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Indiana G »

philby,

no stains so far from my magnoli strap.
Indy Magnoli
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by Indy Magnoli »

One of my customers wore his bag for a few days in a sweltering Chinese summer with no staining to his sweaty shirt. I did, however, soak a white t-shirt and rub vigorously for a while on the back of one of my straps and did get a slight discoloration to the shirt. So, if you plan on rubbing the back of my strap with a soaking t-shirt, it may not be the right one for you. :lol: Otherwise, you should be safe.

Kind regards,
Indy
Ripper
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Ripper »

Wow VP, that strap looks great ! Who was the exceptionaly nice SS who sent you that ?? What a fantastic fellow he must be! :wink:
Baggers
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Baggers »

Michaelson wrote:One of my favorite and MUCH used saying, Baggers. I actually have a coffee cup that has that on the side, given to me by my niece, who has heard me say that on more than ONE occasion in her life. (grins) :wink:

Regards! Michaelson
I think I've seen that coffee cup somewhere!

The older I get, the more validity it gains. Gotta have some way of staying ahead of the younger crowd whenever they don't simply acknowledge my "Elder Statesman" status and step aside of their own free will. :D

Cheers!
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

I'm reminded of the scene from the old western 'Will Penny' where C. Heston was playing an old cowboy on one of his last roundups. Penny was challenged to a fight by a young cowboy in camp. When the youngster took a swing at Penny, Penny ducked, then hit the kid over the head with a fry pan.

The kid yelled 'Hey, you cheated!!"

Penny stood aside, and say, 'yeah, but you're down." :lol:

Sometimes we have to improvise to keep up with the young guys.

Regards !Michaelson
VP
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by VP »

Ripper wrote:Wow VP, that strap looks great ! Who was the exceptionaly nice SS who sent you that ?? What a fantastic fellow he must be! :wink:
I still don't know, it came from some A. Magnoli in NZ. :-k
Indiana Charles
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Indiana Charles »

Could someone who owns one of these repros please post pics of the inside, sides and bottom? Thanks.

- I.C.
Baggers
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Baggers »

If you're referring to the Lawrance Ordnance MK VI repro, I provided a link in an earlier post to an another thread showing the interior of mine. As for the exterior, it's pretty much just an earlier iteration of the Mk VII, except for the the two exterior pockets with a second shorter flap on the backside, no drain vents on the bottom, two small brass D rings with a cord to secure the bag when worn on the chest instead of a white metal disc on the side, and an adjustable web shoulder strap that attaches to the large rings with brass clips instead of being permanently attached.

Cheers!
Indiana Charles
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Indiana Charles »

Thanks. I think the original Mk VIs have the vents on the bottom but I'm not sure.

- I.C.