Which Fedora should i get?

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

coronado3
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Which Fedora should i get?

Post by coronado3 »

I am contemplating buying my first "good" Indy/Raiders style fedora.

I am not wanting so spend a lot of bread, so i have narrowed it down to the Akruba Fed Dlx or the Lee Keppler raider fedora.

For those of you who have knowledge or have had experiences with these two hats, please give me some advice!

I am wanting a generic raiders style/spec hat.

What are the pros and cons of these two hats?

Thanks!

Coronado3
Indiana Kev
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Indiana Kev »

One more thing you might want to think of is time. I read that the Keppler fedora order time is about 6 six weeks (correct me if I'm wrong), but I think you can get an Akruba in 6 days.
Erri
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Erri »

Hi coronado3 and welcome. How much is the Akubra Deluxe? I would imediately suggest you to go for an Adventurebilt and avoid akubras. I received the same suggestion when I first joined this forum and I never regretted it
Last edited by Erri on Mon Nov 27, 2006 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GCR
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by GCR »

Well, I don't have a Keppler and have never even seen one in person, so I can't really comment on that. I do have an Akubra Federation Deluxe, and it's been a very good Raiders style hat for me for over 3 years. The most recent pics can be seen in this thread:

viewtopic.php?t=19857

I can say that the look my Fed Deluxe has acquired is very much a result of my wearing the hat with much frequency over the last 3+ years, as well as some intentional "adjustments" & modifications to get a more "Raiders" look out of the hat. Also note, the stock bow on the Akubra ribbon does NOT look like the bow on my hat, my bow was modified to look more like the Raiders hat. The Akubra is a great hat, but it needs some work right out of the box. Nothing major, but, if you're a stickler for screen-accuracy, the Fed Deluxe does not arrive to you looking 100%. If you're looking for a hat that comes to your door and looks the part right out of the box, then I believe the Keppler is the winner, though you may have to wait a while (I have heard that the wait time for a Keppler is not as long as it used to be, but there will still be a wait, I'm sure) If you're looking for a great Raiders hat by the end of the week, and you don't mind bashing the hat yourself and maybe making a couple of small adjustments, get the Akubra.

-GCR
GCR
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by GCR »

erri_wan wrote:Hi coronado3 and welcome. How much is the Akubra Deluxe? I would imediately suggest you to go for an Adventurebilt and avoid akubras. I received the same suggestion when I first joined this forum and I never regretted it
Jeeze, you make it sound like Akubras are the plague or something!

The Fed Deluxe is going for about $130 USD these days. I think the Keppler's in the same price range. That's a bit more than I paid, I think, but still worth it if you ask me. The AB's are in a different league, I'm sure, and thus they are priced accordingly (But still a huge bargain compared to most other custom hats of this quality). I believe Fedora has said the reason he will be discontinuing his rabbit felt AB's is because he didn't see the point of selling rabbit hats when Akubra makes a fine rabbit hat, or something like that. Now I'm sure there is a level of modesty there, as I must confess EVERY AB I've seen pics of, beaver and rabbit, look much better than a run of the mill Fed Deluxe. But if we're talking about Indy hats under $150, these two (Akubra & Keppler) seem to be the best choices, though I would not want to forget about JP Design's Christmas Special:

viewtopic.php?t=19754

A custom made, Rabbit felt Indy fedora for less than either the Fed D or the Keppler, with a wait time probably longer than the Akubra but most likely shorter than the Keppler...but you better hurry! From what I understand, JP will shape the hat "Raiders" style for you, or leave it open crown. Every pic I've seen of these hats leads me to believe they should be a serious consideration in this price range (JP reg. price is $125). Check 'em out!

-GCR
Last edited by GCR on Mon Nov 27, 2006 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Erri
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Erri »

GCR wrote:
erri_wan wrote:Hi coronado3 and welcome. How much is the Akubra Deluxe? I would imediately suggest you to go for an Adventurebilt and avoid akubras. I received the same suggestion when I first joined this forum and I never regretted it
well sorry :lol: I didn't want to sound SO harsh :) and OOPS, I forgot Steve doesn't make rabbits anymore :junior:
apologies
GCR
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by GCR »

erri_wan wrote:
GCR wrote:
well sorry :lol: I didn't want to sound SO harsh :) and OOPS, I forgot Steve doesn't make rabbits anymore :junior:
Hey, no problem Erri, I knew what you meant! :wink:

It just sounded sort of ominous "Avoid the Akubras!" :shock:

I'll be the first to say, if someone comes into this hobby and asks me what I think is the best Indy hat out there to buy, I'd immediatley say an AB / AB Deluxe. Even though I've never held one in my hand and never even seen one in person, the mere fact that they receive such praise from this community and the fact that Marc and Fedora are so committed to all the details and nuances of these hats give me the confidence to say that the AB is the top of the top.

But if someone says "what should I get, an Akubra or a Keppler?" I'll be the first to plug the Akubra Fed Deluxe. Is it screen accurate right out of the box? No. Does it hold a candle to the AB's? Doubt it. Is it one of the best Indy fedoras under $150 bucks? Yes. A little tinkering and you'll have one heck of an Indy fedora for under $150 USD.

-GCR
Indiana G
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Indiana G »

i can't really comment on the keppler but from what i have heard on the forum, you have to be careful when she gets soaked as there is a danger of taper on them. the akubra's however seem to hold up against the elements.

i have just received the fed regular and i am very impressed with the hat. its easy to bash your personal shape into and it is quite comfortable to wear. if you go with the akubra, you will get it in under 2 weeks as opposed to keppler's 6 week turn-over (and i hate to wait for orders....i'm sure fedora can attest to that :D ).

my opinion would be to order from hats direct and then bash the hat yourself.....its easy to do and its quite fun! also, right after you order your akubra, place an order with fedora for an adventurebuilt (on the credit card if you have to)...this way, you'll have a nice hat in 2 weeks and you'll get your name on the waiting list for the AB....by the time your AB gets on the block, you will probably have it paid off. once you get your AB, you have a nice dress hat and your old hat can be your experimental hat.....now thats where the fun begins!
coronado3
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

which hat...

Post by coronado3 »

Can someone tell me more about JP Design's Indy fedoras? The price is very good... Anyone own one?

"A custom made, Rabbit felt Indy fedora for less than either the Fed D or the Keppler, with a wait time probably longer than the Akubra but most likely shorter than the Keppler...but you better hurry! From what I understand, JP will shape the hat "Raiders" style for you, or leave it open crown. Every pic I've seen of these hats leads me to believe they should be a serious consideration in this price range (JP reg. price is $125). Check 'em out! "

Thanks
Coronado
WinstonWolf359
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by WinstonWolf359 »

Here's another vote for the Akubra Federation Deluxe. :)

The Fed deluxe is a REALLY easy hat to work with, and you'll have it pretty quickly (both of my hats took less than five days from order to arrival) so you'll actually have your own hat to bash, instead of just your name on a waiting list.

The Keppler looks like a fine hat, and if it's as thin and floppy as I've heard it is I'm sure it'll make a great Raiders hat. Tho I wish his ribbon was brown instead of black...
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

hat

Post by BendingOak »

I don't have one of JP's current offerings but I have a couple of his hats that he made when he was with Petersbrothers. he does good work and the place has gone downhill without him.
This is my Opinion so please everyone try not to take my head off for it. Steve and marc, are the only ones who have a block that is like the block that we all know all love ( " Raiders "). The other companies that you stated do not. The Block is one of the big elements for the" Raiders hat". I would save up the money and go with AB. In the long run you will save money by doing this. You buy one hat and your done. I have spent money on many of hats that I was not happy with because they wer missing that one element. They were just not close enough.
If I had to go with only one of these two hat I would go with the akubra because of Fedora's recommendation and as you can tell by the photo's posted here that it comes close to the" Raiders hat."
Chewbacca Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Chewbacca Jones »

Coronado,
First, Welcome aboard!

I happen to have an AB (second hand in gray), a Keppler, and a regular Federation. Each has it's virtues and bad sides.

The AB is, hands down, the best Indy hat you will ever find. It's soft, easy to shape and adjust, high quality, and screen accurate. The price is great for what you get. The down side is the wait. If you order now, you might have it by spring. (But worth the wait, as I see it).

The Keppler looks good, but mine is stiff as a board... maybe stiffer! And I hear they don't like getting wet.

The Federation is a #### good hat, and while not perfectly accurate, it does the job. I don't have a Deluxe, but I've seen one. It's as good or better, so you can't go wrong. The color is better on the Deluxe, and from what I've seen, it bashes into an Indy shape better. It's the least screen accurate of the choices, but you get it fast, and you know it's good.

I do not know anything about JP's hats. Wish I did. I thought about getting one for Christmas, but with a new AB about to be finished, I have other hat needs.

Good Luck,
Chewie
jeboat
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Federation or what???

Post by jeboat »

I have several Indy type fedoras ranging from a Miller "Indy type" hat to the "real thing" by AB in both brown and grayish brown. I also have a Peters Bros./Borsalino collaboration as well as a regular Federation.

I like them all, but...if you are anal retentive like most of us on this site you will eventually own at least one AB Indy. So the real question is do you want to buy the AB and wait a while(it's worth it) or start with a lesser Indy type hat and get it quick knowing it's just a matter of time before you get the best.

I started with a modest Indy and now have all these others. I try to wear all of them but the AB Indy is as good as it gets!

jeboat :) :) :)
Magnum Jones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Magnum Jones »

I just ordered my keppler and spoke to Lee in person. I need a 7 1/4 he does not have it in stock and has to order it. He said depending on your size he may have it now. He also said the wait is about 6 weeks if he has to order it.
Strider
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Strider »

Here's a thread I created just for this purpose.

viewtopic.php?t=17678&highlight=
Feraud
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Feraud »

Never owned a Keppler but have the Fed Deluxe. A great hat for the money. Looks good and tough as nails!
agent5
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by agent5 »

Just get yerself the Akruba and be done with it. It's a good hat with a good price that you'll get in a fairly short period of time.

I'm with most people in that the AB is a much better hat than the Akruba in every way but it is twice the cost and a longer wait time. Still, I'd jump on it if you have patience. Of course, you may not want to wait and don't want to spend the money.

My strong advice is if you do see yourself buying a better hat in the future...save up and wait for the AB and you won't regret it. If not, the Akruba is the one for you.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Bear in mind, both the Fed and Fed Deluxe by Akubra were created from advice asked for and given to Akubra by members of this very forum, so you're not buying the proverbial 'pig in a poke'. It's Indygear approved, and is one fine hat. Sure, the AB's are the gold standard, but that's not what you asked. You asked for a comparison between the Kepper and the Federation line by Akubra. THAT'S what should be answered.....

Either the Kepper OR either one of the Federations will serve your purpose, and serve it well. I've owned all of these, and if I had to make a choice.....I'd be REALLY hard pressed to do so. I'd have to lean a bit toward the Deluxe, simply due to the fact the felt is softer than the standard Fed....but that's just me and my level of comfort I'm wanting these days. :wink: Otherwise it would have to come down to REAL nitpicking for me to separate one from the other in terms of a decision, and even then it could change from one day to the next...they're that close in comparison.

I own the first black Indy fedora JP produced from his own company. Unfortunately (well, probably the wrong word) the felt was a bit to heavy, and it has since been turned into a more Western styled hat for wear...but the craftmanship is undeniable. Jimmy KNOWS what he's doing, and I've known him for years. He did most of my hat work when I sent my hats to PB for overhaul....so I, too, agree, he should be put into the mix for consideration in this price range.

Regards! Michaelson
Solo4114
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Solo4114 »

I have an Akubra Feddie regular, and I love the thing. It holds up quite nicely to the elements. I've worn it in some serious downpours where the hat kept my head dry, but my raincoat got soaked through. It looks great, to me, although I'm not a huge screen accuracy stickler. Still, it's better than anything I've owned and at a price of roughly $100 (not including shipping), it's a steal.
coronado3
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by coronado3 »

I went ahead and put in an order for one of JP's hats... Jimmy was cool and very helpful! I'll post some pics when I recieve it.

Coronado3
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Good man! Looking forward to reading your report. JP is good people. :D

HIGH regards! Michaelson
Fatdutchman
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Fatdutchman »

I had two hats reblocked by Jimmy Pierce. One brown Miller hat and one 15 year old gray "Beaver" company hat. The more I fool around with it, I'm not so thrilled with the brown hat...but it was NOT a great hat to begin with!!! The felt is just, well, I don't like it. It wants to return to its original tapered shape no matter what. It's a nice brown fedora, but NOT an Indy hat.

My gray hat, however, looks VERY cool!!! It is FAR more "Indy-like". It has better proportions and is fuller in the crown (again, it was always a much better quality hat than the brown one). Straight sides, and straight front and back. Even with a tight front pinch, the front doesn't angle back very much! The top center crease makes the rear of the crown cock backwards ever-so-slightly, and is super cool. I'll put up better photos of the gray hat. This was not meant to be an Indy hat, but a nice fedora that was definitely "Indy-like". The crown is pretty good for an Indy hat, but the brim is narrower. I cut the brim at 2 3/4" front and back, and 2 1/2" on the sides. I think it is a very attractive '30's style fedora. This hat originally was a more "western style" and the felt is relatively stiff (which is fine by me), and is pretty thick too. Definitely not floppy. I think I paid about $85 for it at the Western store in Hopkinsville in about 1989 (a LOT of money for a high school senior to pay for a hat!!!).

I think that if JP has a good felt blank to start with, he can probably make you one humdinger of an Indy hat! I'm anxious to see Tone's when he gets it!

I just made out a check to get an AB hat, so I'm set for Indy hats... I may, after a while, see if Jimmy can make me a Howard Hughes style beaver hat. I think the Indy hat and Hughes' famous late '40's hat are the two most ultimately awesome fedoras ever. :wink:
Strider
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Strider »

NICE!!
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

hat

Post by BendingOak »

Tone, that a nice lid and it very close. You front crease don't look that deep at all. Do you have any other shots?
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

hat

Post by BendingOak »

How tall is he crown Tone? it looks a little tall, maybe it's the shots.
Bufflehead Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Bufflehead Jones »

Indiana_Tone wrote:It's the shots. Keep at it, though. There's bound to be something. :lol:
Tone, I think the little X shaped bow on the back of the sweatband is a little crooked. :shock: and off center...... :-k ......ummmm......you did say that you turned it, didn't you? Whooopsi! #-o