The HJ arrived: You will not believe this

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

Mississippi
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

The HJ arrived: You will not believe this

Post by Mississippi »

The HJ that I won on ebay arrived yesterday. The one I was kind of excited about. I could not believe my eyes when i looked at it. It was destroyed. It is very badly shrunk, has a hole in the back and the pinch is almost worn through. To top that off, the brim looks like a toddler trimmed it with a pair of scissors.I have already arranged to send it back and get a refund, but I want yall to check this thing out. The seller was totally shocked that I wanted to return it. This is the actual description.

For sale a naturally distressed Herbert Johnson Fedora. Hat has been on many expeditions. So many that the gold I.J. initials and Herbert Johnson name has almost been worn off in the inner leather headband. Sweat liner has hole from when hat got blown off and snagged on a tree limb. Gold stitching in liner is almost gone too. Sold as is Raiders pinch and all. Size is 7 and 3/8

The pictures
http://new.photos.yahoo.com/pepsipaysme ... 2353553189

Oh, and the opening bid for this "hat" was $100 and the seller had 100% feedback on over 400 transactions. I have no idea how someone in good conscience could sell this.

Bryanlange
Serial Hero
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Serial Hero »

I'm sorry to hear that,

Looks like my wool Disney fed after it got wet and shrank.

At least the seller is taking it back
Last edited by Serial Hero on Fri Dec 01, 2006 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Indiana Kev
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Indiana Kev »

The hat looks good in the first picture(that of course is relative to the other pictures), the ebay picture of course, but that's it. It looks like on side of the brim is about an inch longer than the opposite side, my guess is that is where the cutting occured. Too bad it wasn't in good shape...aside from the obvious defects what was the quality of the felt like?
Indiana G
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Indiana G »

sorry to hear that what you received fell way short of your expectations. from the description though, it does sound that you were bidding on a fairly well seasoned hat. as an avid e-bayer myself, i would have not expected anything special with a description like that. yes, some sellers do embelish a little bit, but when i read his description, it sounded like the hat was on the verge of falling apart and would only be valued by an HJ collector or someone who can try to restore it themselves. the "as-is" description should of been an indicator. now, if you find an HJ on e-bay that is coined "pristine", "like new", "near mint", or even "great condition" then thats the one to go for......but be careful of the bid snipers (like me :wink: ).
ttocsic chemical
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by ttocsic chemical »

Sorry you didn't get what you expected, but at least it looks like the seller tried to put a lot of pictures there for you to judge. Granted, pictures without reference leave something to be desired. If you get your money back, all's not lost. Just THAT great deal.
Mississippi
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

a

Post by Mississippi »

Well, i knew not to expect a hat in perfect condition, but i didnt expect it to be totally destroyed. It must have taken the seller a good number of pictures to find the one that was even the least bit flattering.
Strider
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Strider »

I'm surprised you're getting your money back at all. Most sellers would take the negative or neutral feedback and keep right on truckin', so count your blessings on that one.
GoneSolo
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by GoneSolo »

I remember seeing the listing and there were about six pictures from different angles. The hat looked pretty darn good.
Mississippi
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

a

Post by Mississippi »

There were 3 pictures on the auction page; Two that showed the good side of the hat and the other was a shot of the sweatband. I didnt expect a pristine hat, but i did expect a hat that I could wear.
Fedoraman
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Fedoraman »

I saw that auction and I would say you got exactly what was described. That hat was trashed and looks just like a SOC hat would really look like...

If you want a new "distressed" HJ - go order from Todd's costumes.

At least the seller is being cool about the refund - leave a good feedback for that.
randystokes
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by randystokes »

Hope you get your refund. While you didn't expect a pristine hat, it doesn't sound like the description on eBay really captured the extent of "distressing" of this hat. And it sounds like you checked out the seller's feedback beforehand. I've seen similar problems in the past, but generally not where someone has lots of exclusively positive feedback.

Randy
DeWayne
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by DeWayne »

Now I'm glad I was outbid for this at the last minute! I was upset about that at first....

Hope everything goes well with the refund. Judging by his feedback it should turn out ok.