Replacing moc toe stitching

Discuss technique for prolonging the life of your gear or giving it that aged look

Moderator: Dalexs

Strider
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Replacing moc toe stitching

Post by Strider »

Is there any way to replace broken moc toe stitching on Aldens? I look down at my feet every so often, and my frayed stitching on the toe of my right boot kind of bothers me. Since it's a fake moc toe, it doesn't affect functionality, but I'd like to know how to replace them, if it's possible.

Oh, and "contact Alden" isn't going to work with me, because my Aldens are my only pair of shoes aside from flip flops (I threw out a pair of sneakers that were worn down when I got the aldens), so I am hoping for a way to do it locally, so I only have to be without my boots for a day or two max.
hanson
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by hanson »

Hey Strider, a good shoe repair place should be able to do them and can probably schedule it for your convience. I once got a broken hook replaced in a mall shoe store while I waited. Also,polishing them will keep the frayed look down, and they will age again and last even longer.regards,hanson.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Considering Strider posted this back in June, I wonder what he DID do?

Regards! Michaelson
Texas Raider
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Texas Raider »

Last I heard he was seen walking barefoot on a highway, somewhere near Detroit! :wink:

TR
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Guess he's glad he kept those flip-flops.... :-k :wink:

Regards! Michaelson
Strider
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Strider »

I didn't do anything. I never figured out how to fix it, so it just stayed the way it is.
Rundquist
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Rundquist »

This might not be feasible because of the cost, but why don’t you think about getting another pair of Aldens. You really shouldn’t wear shoes on consecutive days anyway. You add life to the shoes by letting them air out over a day. Cheers
Strider
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Strider »

I never thought about it like that. However, this is one of those "if I knew then what I know now" kind of situations. Back when I first got my Aldens, I had this image in my head of these bulletproof shoes that could take the worst I could throw at 'em, mainly because that was the impression I got from threads I read here.

However, I've asked the question probably twice or three times, and no one seems to ever give me a straight answer. To the folks who own Aldens and have not had to have them reheeled or resoled in the several years they have owned them, I ask: how often do you use them, and what for?

Let me say this. I am a walking kind of guy. I walk most everyplace I go, unless I'd have to take the freeway to get there, in which case, I take the bus. However, getting at least 75% of where I am going every day is by putting one foot in front of the other. Recently, I ran into a COW member in Escondido, and we went for lunch in Oceanside. We talked about this same question, and he said: "What, do they leave them in their closet or something?" Well shucks, they must not use 'em very much.

Boy, if I knew then what I know now. Aldens are orthopedic shoes, so they feel nice and comfy, and they are screen accurate. They are, however, NOT rough and tumble, take what'cha got comin', go on a nature hike shoes. I think they are best suited for people who do a lot of driving to get where they go or casual wear. Good for your feet, and all that, but wear out pretty quickly, even when you're using the cedar shoe trees that come with 'em. Rundquist's suggestion is actually a very good idea.
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Strider, absolutely nothing lasts forever. You can make them last a long time with proper care, but if something is used, and used as hard as you're using your 405's, you're going to have them wear out. You CAN not, and WILL not get around that reality.

I've owned mine for almost 5 years now. I rotate my shoes, as Rundqust advised above, and have only had to have mine reheeled twice in 5 years of wear. I have not had to have my resoled yet, though I have a back up pair of soles ready when the time comes. The tops look almost as good as the day I got the boots, but then I polish them once a week, and Pecard them as needed. Other than the nice soft lines of wear in, they're still good looking shoes, and have been worn for miles, and literally years of walking.

Even with all this, I KNOW someday I will have to get another pair as time goes along and the shoes become unrepairable. It's the nature of the beast....and you can bet the farm I get the MOST out of MY stuff, and usually use them until they absolutely fall apart.

It's time to take them to the local professional cobbler and let him/her do their craft. It's beyond anything we can advise you to do now, in my opinion. I'd also challenge you to find another pair of ANYTHING made out there that could stand up to the constant wear and tear you've put your Alden's through.

I haven't yet, and I've owned a lot of high end and supposedly 'indesructable' foot gear in my day. They didn't last either.

Regards! Michaelson
Strider
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Strider »

Michaelson, you're right. Like I said, I just wish I had known then what I know now. You have to understand, I've never owned more than two pairs of shoes at once. That would be a pair of dress shoes, and a pair of sneakers. I still have that pair of dress shoes, but I threw out my sneakers when I got my Aldens (it was their time anyway), and I never went out and bought another pair until recently. I had this image in my head when I first got them of them being these bulletproof, take whatever you throw at them shoes. Again, you're right, I really used them. This is the result.
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

I totally understand where you're coming from, Strider. :tup:

Heck, I even rotate which vehicle I'm going to drive to work each day....either the 1950 Plymouth, or my 1989 pickup truck with 240,000 miles on the odometer.

Decisions, decisions.....do I want to drive the classic that leaks around the windshield when it rains, or drive the truck and breathe oil smoke? :-k I enjoy both experiences equally. :wink:

The wife drives our 2005 Malibu work. She's worth it. :D

Regards! Michaelson