HJ Fedoras...price increase??

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

Toldog07
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

HJ Fedoras...price increase??

Post by Toldog07 »

I just emailed Swaine, Adney, Brigg about the price for the indy fedora...the hat alone is 165 pounds, plus 28 pounds for shipping to the US. In US dollars thats almost 400!!! has it always been that much when ordering from them?? also, how is todd able to sell his for 240??
Dakota Ellison
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Dakota Ellison »

He gets them wholesale from the factory, not the retail store.
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

hat

Post by BendingOak »

I just emailed Swaine, Adney, Brigg about the price for the indy fedora...the hat alone is 165 pounds, plus 28 pounds for shipping to the US. In US dollars thats almost 400!!
the question shoudln't be how todd is doing it?

It should be how Swaine,adney, brigg is doing it?
Kt Templar
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Re: hat

Post by Kt Templar »

BendingOak wrote:
I just emailed Swaine, Adney, Brigg about the price for the indy fedora...the hat alone is 165 pounds, plus 28 pounds for shipping to the US. In US dollars thats almost 400!!
the question shoudln't be how todd is doing it?

It should be how Swaine,adney, brigg is doing it?
This is the same argument we've been having in the jacket thread, in reverse.

The price has very little to do with the actual cost, the retailer often will charge what the market will accept.

e.g. Aldens.
Bufflehead Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Bufflehead Jones »

Yeah, I guess they found out that my market wouldn't accept it.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

It also depends on where you're standing at the time of the sale.

Case in point...Akubra. If you want to buy a fine fedora or like Akubra, you go to HatsDirect and order one. Now, if you go to a U.S. firm, like David Morgan for instance, that same hat will cost you in many cases twice the amount, if not more.

In the case of the Akubra, you're paying less due to the exchange rate between the stronger USD and the Aussie dollar.

In HJ's case, you're paying for the strong Pound vs. the USD, HJ's overhead vs. Todd's non-storefront costs, as well as paying for the 'prestige' of owning an HJ that is in operation by official blessing of the Crown. Otherwise, you're talking about exactly the same hat (with the exception that Todd's is 'created' by a fan FOR other fans, rather than a haberdasher located in London who could really care less. :wink: )

To paraphrase what KT said above....it's all in what the market will bear, and like I said, depends on where you're standing at the time of the sale.

Regards! Michaelson
Last edited by Michaelson on Fri Sep 01, 2006 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

hat

Post by BendingOak »

yes, most is over priced.
Bufflehead Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Michaelson wrote:and like I said, depends on where you're standing at the time of the sale.

Regards! Michaelson
:-k ...ummmm...Actually, I was sitting at the computer when I ordered mine from Todd. #-o
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Well, us older guys ARE allowed THAT much leeway.... :-k :wink:

Regards! Michaelson
Bufflehead Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

....ain't that the dang truth!
Arkansas Smith
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Arkansas Smith »

how about a 'YEAH TODD' here! :D

Arkansas Smith
Rundquist
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Rundquist »

Kt Templar wrote:

The price has very little to do with the actual cost, the retailer often will charge what the market will accept.

e.g. Aldens.

Actually if there was one piece of gear that was worth the money I would say it’s the Aldens. Those are handmade orthopedic boots made the old fashioned way. They’re worth every penny. I’ve worn cheap shoes and I’ll never go back. Cheers
Kt Templar
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Kt Templar »

Rundquist wrote:
Kt Templar wrote:

e.g. Aldens.

Actually if there was one piece of gear that was worth the money I would say it’s the Aldens. Those are handmade orthopedic boots made the old fashioned way. They’re worth every penny. I’ve worn cheap shoes and I’ll never go back. Cheers
That they probably are. Though I suspect they were just as good at $240 in 2002. At that time a Wested was £140. Today they are £145. Aldens are £290.
Rundquist
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Rundquist »

Kt Templar wrote:
Rundquist wrote:
Kt Templar wrote:

e.g. Aldens.

That they probably are. Though I suspect they were just as good at $240 in 2002. At that time a Wested was £140. Today they are £145. Aldens are £290.
And I'm sure that they were just as good in the 70's when they were probably $100. Wested has hardly changed their prices in 10 years. That doesn't mean that inflation in the world hasn't occurred.
Ghos7a55assin
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Ghos7a55assin »

Over the summer I was interning in the fashion industry and I have found that the wholesale price is often half the retail price. Being a high-end brand, I found that wholesale, something maybe only be like $98 but cost like $200+ at Nordstrom's. This is reflected in Todd's and S.A.B.'s pricing- Todd's pricing is a little more than half of Swaine Addeney Brigg's.