Anyone in the NJ/Philly Area?

From falls & poppers to plaiting & cracking technique, this section is dedicated in memory of Sergei, IndyGear Staff Member and Whip Guru. Always remember to keep "Celebratin' Life!"

Moderator: BullWhipBorton

JrZyBud
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Anyone in the NJ/Philly Area?

Post by JrZyBud »

So who wants to get together and start cracking? If you are local why dont we all set up a time and place and get together for some lessons (ie teach me how to crack a whip) and good company. What better way to learn or increase your skills than to get a bunch of people together who know what they are doing? Anyone up for this?
BullWhipBorton

Post by BullWhipBorton »

Hi, I am not in that area, but I think there’s still a New Jersey and NYC Chapter of the Whip Enthusiast group. Club Obi Wan member Jim Markell who posts here as Ecwhips might know for sure, I think he used to head up the New Jersey chapter at one time.

I believe there are also other chapters in neighboring states as well. The main Whip Enthusiast homepage which promotes family friendly sport whip cracking is currently down, www.whipenthusiasts.org but it should be reactivated soon. It lists its group chapters around the world. You can also check with the yahoo group http://groups.yahoo.com/group/WhipEnthusiasts/ to see if anyone in your area is doing monthly meets or that can help you out with lessons.

Dan
Tyrloch
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Tyrloch »

Hey,

That's correct -- Jim Markell was running the NJ chapter of the Whip Enthusiasts, which consisted entirely of Jim & I!! We haven't whipcracked together in a while, mostly because of scheduling problems, but I try to get some practice in whenever I can. We're up in Northern NJ -- where are you?

~Jace
Tyrloch
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Tyrloch »

Oh, I should've looked at your location under your avatar -- it does indeed read 'Central New Jersey'!! How far are you from Bergen County? I'm in Elmwwod Park, near Paterson, Saddle Brook -- but we used to practice up in Westwood...

~Jace
Tyrloch
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Tyrloch »

Right now, I practice in my yard, but there's a few parks near me too. If anyone in NJ ever wants to get together, just let me know...

~Jace
ecwhips
Vendor

Post by ecwhips »

Jace, are you ready to start phase two of the NJ Whip Enthusiasts?? :lol:
In all seriousness, I'd be up for some regular group whip cracking. Maybe we could coordinate a monthly practice in different locations being that we seem to be spread out. Where's Jersey Jones??? I'm sure he'd want to get in on it as well.

Jim
IndyParise
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by IndyParise »

I'm in Manahawkin NJ. Near Long Beach Island. I could meet you somewhere.
Tyrloch
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Tyrloch »

Phase 2 hmmm....does that mean that we actually have a 3rd or even possibly a 4th whipcracker out there with us?? :lol: Ready when you are, Sgt. Pembry...

~Jace
ecwhips
Vendor

Post by ecwhips »

Tyrloch wrote:Phase 2 hmmm....does that mean that we actually have a 3rd or even possibly a 4th whipcracker out there with us?? :lol: Ready when you are, Sgt. Pembry...

~Jace
Wow, more than just me and you. What a concept! Yeah, I think it's time. Maybe channel 11 will come back and do a part 2 for the Weird Wednesday segment. :lol:

Jim
Tyrloch
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Tyrloch »

Bad news, no pun intended!! I think that chick got a promotion -- I've seen her doing some kind of reports from the newsroom. I don't think she travels around doing that segment anymore:(

~Jace
ecwhips
Vendor

Post by ecwhips »

Tyrloch wrote:Bad news, no pun intended!! I think that chick got a promotion -- I've seen her doing some kind of reports from the newsroom. I don't think she travels around doing that segment anymore:(

~Jace
Yeah, she's on channel 5 now. I was only kidding about the show. :P
Tyrloch
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Tyrloch »

Channel 5, right. I wasn't aware that she had switched networks, I just caught a glimpse of her on the TV last night...Toni, wasn't it? Well, when are we going to get this crew of whipcrackers together? I could really use the practice! :wink:

~Jace
ecwhips
Vendor

Post by ecwhips »

Yeah, I could really use the practice too. I haven't spent any real time cracking whips over the last year, outside of test cracking whips I made.

Jim
JrZyBud
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by JrZyBud »

Im def down to practice, but Im in the South Jersey area closer to Philly, I dont know how far I am from you guys.
Peterfett
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Peterfett »

I live in central Jersey and would love to hang out and do some whip cracking. If you guys ever get together drop me a line. I only know one crack. I need some tips.
Tyrloch
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Tyrloch »

Well, someone set up a day & time, & I'll be there...

~Jace
ecwhips
Vendor

Post by ecwhips »

How about this weekend? Maybe Sunday??

Jim
Tyrloch
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Tyrloch »

I'm probably good, but keep in mind that it's Labor Day weekend, so a lot of people may have plans...

~Jace
ecwhips
Vendor

Post by ecwhips »

Tyrloch wrote:I'm probably good, but keep in mind that it's Labor Day weekend, so a lot of people may have plans...

~Jace
What, more important plans than whipcracking??? :lol:

Jim
Tyrloch
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Tyrloch »

Personally, I can't think of anything...but the boys from South & Central Jersey might think differently from us...

~Jace
IndyParise
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by IndyParise »

nope, nothing more important thant whipcracking, and I'm from South Jersey. But, I'm originally from Staten Island New York so I may be a bit different....