Cleaning Aden stitching

Bags, Boots, Shirts and all other gear should be discussed here.

Moderators: Mike, Cajunkraut, Tennessee Smith

IndyChaos
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Cleaning Aden stitching

Post by IndyChaos »

Esteemed colleagues,
I finally got my new Aldens, and they are fantastic. Thank you to all of you who recommended them because not only are they quite comfortable, as has been mentioned countless times here in this forum, but it is a pure thrill to sport them with a white dress shirt, khaki pants and black poplin tie to my uber-corporate office with none the wiser. On rare occassions, I even venture to wear a shirt with epaulettes.
I can practically hear the theme song we all know and love when I am plugging away at the office, making each day a bit of an adventure.
However, in my jubilation, and in an attempt to soften the stiff leather a bit more quickly, I used some brown boot cream on them and foolishly stained the toe stitching. :oops: I have tried to get them back to at least a dirty white, but it has been to no avail, and I am wary of getting the toes too moist with water. Does anyone have any recommendations on how best to get the stitches clean? Any guidance would be much appreciated.
Cheers,
Indychaos
Mola Ram
Vendor

Re: Cleaning Aden stitching

Post by Mola Ram »

IndyChaos wrote:Esteemed colleagues,
I finally got my new Aldens, and they are fantastic. Thank you to all of you who recommended them because not only are they quite comfortable, as has been mentioned countless times here in this forum, but it is a pure thrill to sport them with a white dress shirt, khaki pants and black poplin tie to my uber-corporate office with none the wiser. On rare occassions, I even venture to wear a shirt with epaulettes.
I can practically hear the theme song we all know and love when I am plugging away at the office, making each day a bit of an adventure.
However, in my jubilation, and in an attempt to soften the stiff leather a bit more quickly, I used some brown boot cream on them and foolishly stained the toe stitching. :oops: I have tried to get them back to at least a dirty white, but it has been to no avail, and I am wary of getting the toes too moist with water. Does anyone have any recommendations on how best to get the stitches clean? Any guidance would be much appreciated.
Cheers,
Indychaos
using brown boot cream is the most common way to dye the toe stitches. why not just put the cream evenly on all the stitching?
IndyChaos
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by IndyChaos »

Mola Ram,
It's actually on quite evenly because I assumed -- you know what that means -- that it would simply wipe off. I would just prefer to get it back to white because I like the look of it better. Any ideas? It's also a bit of a future-reference wuestion so I can fix problems of the same nature in the future.
Chaos
Ark Hunter
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Ark Hunter »

In the future I would put some brown Pecards leather dressing on them. I'll soften them, make them water risistant, and darken them some. It only dulls the stiching once it has soaked in. (It looks like they won't be white anymore untill it soaks in some) I didn't like the bright white stiching anyway, but I wouldn't want it to be real dark either. (unless they boots were good an beat up)

About how to correct them...I'm not sure how you could do that. I'd be kind of leary of trying to bleach them, but you could try that with a small paint brush and wipe them down with water to get rid of most of the bleach off the leather. (and dry then dry them with a towel) Maybe Oxiclean would work too? (might be safer)
Alabama Jones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Alabama Jones »

Time and wear should do the trick. Thats been my experience with polish and Pecards anyway. I also did not like the initial brightness, but at the same time didn't want the stitching to be too dark.

My advise is to just wear em for a while and let them lighten back up naturally.