Question about the turn with a long oval sized hat

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

Fletch
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Question about the turn with a long oval sized hat

Post by Fletch »

I know the reality of the turn has been established for sure and is necessary to get "the look" but I am wondering if this is going to work for me. If the raidersesque brim distortion was caused by Ford's long oval shaped head in a rounder sized hat and turned, what would be the effect of the turn on a hat that was sized as a long oval to begin with? I would think that the top dent would be more apparently diagonal looking when viewed from above and I am unsure of how the brim would look. Has anyone ordered an AB in long oval with the turn? Would you mind sharing some pics? Rounder oval hats in my size leave a strong red mark on my forehead with gaps on the sides. I totally feel pinched from front to back and it is rather uncomfortable. My head is not some alien oblong shaped head but is realistically a long oval size. I recently ordered my AB in long oval for comfort and unturned but am now concerned that I wont be able to get the look when I turn it. I know Ford's gift hat was made in a long oval but the brim was stiffened to hold the shape of the appearance of a turned brim. I would rather not have a stiff brimed hat. How is it working out for you guys? Can I not have a comfortable hat and the look at the same time? My wife is laughing and saying this is all spoken like a true nerd :)
Thanks
Fletch
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

indy

Post by BendingOak »

I think it will work for any shape head. It will mean you might have to turn it a little more(maybe less).Best thing to do is talk to steve about your concerns.
Erri
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Re: Question about the turn with a long oval sized hat

Post by Erri »

Fletch wrote:My wife is laughing and saying this is all spoken like a true nerd :)
Tell her that it's just the beginning :lol: :? :lol:
:wink:
Hoosier
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

turn

Post by Hoosier »

I agree with jpenman. I think the turn would work with either shape (long or regular oval). In my un-expert opinion, I think you may need to turn it less, but again, I am in total agreement. . . talk to Steve about this.

I would definitely advocate getting the turn though. When I ordered my AB I went back and forth on this quite a bit. Just wasn't sure how I would like the turn. Well, I love the turn. It is not only accurate, but adds real character as well.

Regards,
Hoosier
Bufflehead Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Re: Question about the turn with a long oval sized hat

Post by Bufflehead Jones »

Fletch wrote: I know Ford's gift hat was made in a long oval but the brim was stiffened to hold the shape of the appearance of a turned brim. I would rather not have a stiff brimed hat. Fletch
Fletch,

I think Ford's gift hat was a long oval and it was turned.
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

indy

Post by BendingOak »

fletch, A stiff brim from steve is not as stiff as say a Petersbrother.
Fletch
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Fletch »

Thanks for the input guys. I appreciate it. Does anyone have an AB long oval that is turned that they can share some pics of? Maybe Steve will see this post and chime in or I will ask him directly. I was hoping that some other long head would have gone through this too. :lol:
Thanks
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

indy

Post by BendingOak »

it's hard to see but the one I'm wearing in my Avatar is. I'll have to see if I have any upoaded to photobucket. I've been haveing trouble uploading new pics to photobucket.
Strider
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Strider »

If this is the same hat you're wearing in your avatar, you posted some pics of it on the AB thread.

http://tinypic.com/view.html?pic=64iic6
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

hat

Post by BendingOak »

strider, yes. How did you find that?
Strider
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Strider »

I remembered that you had posted some pics of it on the "Post your AB" thread, so I went back and looked for it, and I found it. Miraculously, the link still works.
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

hat

Post by BendingOak »

You would think that I might of thought of doing that but, no. :? . Thanks strider.