New - WESTED TOD AUTH. GOAT- w/ pics

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

Kaplan
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

New - WESTED TOD AUTH. GOAT- w/ pics

Post by Kaplan »

I received my new Wested Temple of Doom authentic goat a couple of days ago. The first pics (the jacket hanging and on me) were taken on the day I received it.

There are some pics (for the sake of comparison of hides) of the jacket with authentic lamb and predistressed cowhide on top of it under different lights. (one side of the predistressed cowhide has been treated with pecards)

The final pics (by the pool) are of the jacket after three hours of heat-free dryer tumbling and two nights and one and a half days of Pecard Jell soaking into the jacket. (Much smoother and softer now!)
Enjoy!
-GC

Kaplan
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Kaplan »

I forgot to add what I asked peter for.
1. One piece under arm gussets
2. Elastic band in the action pleats
3. back pannel tapered slightly (so as not to flair out)

It was a perfect fit when it arrived, and I got everything I asked for.
-GC
Erri
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Erri »

Looks very nice, fitting great and perfect sleeve length :D ... but I still wonder what makes a TOD jacket different from a ROTLA ](*,)
Don't tell me it's just 1 inches less on the back length because that's not an answer :lol: (not in a custom jacket!)
George Caplin wrote: 2. Elastic band in the action pleats
I thought every jacket has them
George Caplin wrote: 3. back pannel tapered slightly (so as not to flair out)
I might be wrong but from your last pictures it DOES seem to be tapered on the back panel
Bufflehead Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Bufflehead Jones »

George,

Great looking jacket and I agree, it looks like a perfect fit. I am sure that you are going to enjoy it.

Erri,

The difference in the Raiders and ToD is one inch in length of the body. Yes, you have the right idea. There is not much difference. If you ordered two jackets, one an off the rack ToD jacket in a certain size and one a custom Raiders jacket in the same size, but specified a jacket length one inch longer than the off the rack Raiders jacket in that size, you would end up with two identical jackets.

The elastic does not come in the action pleats unless you specify it on a Wested.
Rusty Jones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist
Location: Raleigh, NC, Running from the Havitos (my (ex)girlfriends' parents)

Post by Rusty Jones »

Looks great... unfortunatly I've had fewer opertunities to visit the forum lately (busy senior year), I'd like to know if this is the first jacket with a 'tapered back' or if I just missed the development... thanks guys, again the jacket looks great, especially in the outdoor shots.
Doug C
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Doug C »

Very nice! You got those sleeve lengths just right, too. You're not going to want to take that thing off -

Doug C
Kaplan
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Kaplan »

Thanks fellas!
I'd like to know if this is the first jacket with a 'tapered back' or if I just missed the development
It certainly isn't something I came up with. I read somewhere on COW about someone else with a TOD requesting it because the back panel had the tendency to flair out. So, having never owned a wested at the time, I got scared and ordered it that way.

After I ordered it, I became scared about the back looking wrong as a result. So I called wested. They told me it was too late because they had cut the leather already. When it arrived, I was very pleased with the result. It's hard to tell from the pics, but it is very slightly tapered on the bottom three inches of the back panel only.
-GC
Swindiana
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Swindiana »

Looking good!
And a fine choice if I may say so myself. ;)

You have yourself a jacket that will stand up to anything you can throw at it. Another goat for example. (Not that Ive tried it.) ;)

Great job with softening it up too. Did you notice any of the shine disappearing from just that treatment? AND, are you planning on any further distressing? Don't let Michaelson read your answer if yes on the last one. 8)

Regards,
Swindiana
Kaplan
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Kaplan »

Great job with softening it up too. Did you notice any of the shine disappearing from just that treatment? AND, are you planning on any further distressing? Don't let Michaelson read your answer if yes on the last one.
Thanks Swindiana,
The sheen has dulled slightly mostly from the Pecard Jell. However, I didn't see much results from the dryer trick. (it was only 3 hours). I suppose it is pointless now (after pecardsing) to put it in the dryer again. I won't, after all I'm very happy with the jacket.

That being said, after much contemplation, I don't think I am going to distress the jacket. Michaelson would be proud...but being a knower of things...he probably already knew.
-GC
Swindiana
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Swindiana »

Yep. His learning curve went off the charts from the day he was born I'v heard. Off course, this was before charts were invented and people counted pebbles on the ground instead, but still. He also knows how to use a cattle prod, so I'd better stop right about now. :)

Anyway, I've acetoned mine a bit and it just don't have any effect the way it has on lamb or the DB goat. Mostly, the sheen goes away though I believe I few have had better success than me. It still looks pretty weathered by now from use though which reminds me I should shoot some update pictures soon.

Regards,
Swindiana
Kaplan
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Kaplan »

I think I'm in the market for a lamb...I think I am going to keep the goat well maintained, and buy a lambskin that I can mistreat and not feel as guilty about. Afterall, everyone has said that lamb is the best for distressing.

My question is, to the many who own raiders lambs, now that you have seen how a TOD fits me, does anyone think the Raiders length would be a good choice? I know it's a matter of personal preference.

Does anyone here own both a wested TOD and a wested Raiders?
-GC
agent5
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by agent5 »

... but I still wonder what makes a TOD jacket different from a ROTLA
Well, take a look at the yoke seam on the TOD and you can tell it's moved down farther than on the Raiders jacket and as a current, standard Wested is done.
You'll also notice that the collar on all but one of the screen used Raiders jackets is longer than the TOD jackets. Longer and NOT wider.
Not completely sure about the side strap hardware, but I think the TOD jackets came with D-rings like the LC jackets, where the Raiders jackets all had rectangular buckles. I could be wrong on the hardware.
rick5150
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by rick5150 »

George,
The heck with the jacket, your scenery is breathtaking :shock:
Havana
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Havana »

Looks like you got a good fit. Now wear it everywhere.
Indy_Railok
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Indy_Railok »

Great Jacket! :D
I love the color and it fit's you great.
Kaplan
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Kaplan »

rick5150
George,
The heck with the jacket, your scenery is breathtaking
Thanks Rick! That's Las Cruces on a cloudy day. The joke is that we get two inches of rainfall a year--but that means that the raindrops are two inches apart.

The mountains here are always a good place for an Indy-style adventure. Not to mention the fossils everywhere, abandoned mines, conquistador trash laying around, ancient petroglyphs, Indian ruins, and Billy the Kid's jail cell only a few miles away.

The big problem right now is that it won't be cold enough for me to wear my jacket outside until December. Then three weeks of winter, a week of spring, and back to summer.
-GC
Kaplan
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Kaplan »

I've been trying to soften the goat a little more.
I can't see any more dryer tumbling in the future (I ruined two pillow cases in 3 hours).
It has taken all of the pecard it can take.
I have been sitting on it every once in a while when watching tv.
I have also been tossing it to the floor or couch when I take it off..(I never hang it up).

So, are there any other tricks in the book?
What is all of this about rolling it up and tossing it in the corner? Over and over???? Does that really work? It seems like a sure-fire way to lose your rent deposit.
-GC
Ghos7a55assin
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Ghos7a55assin »

My favorite way to break in a jacket is to wear it when it's wet, i.e. rain. Seeing as you don't get much rain, you could always just jump into a river or something...
Strider
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Strider »

That jacket looks PURTY. Glad you like it! :D As for the gussets, I've noticed that there isn't really a whole lot of difference between how far the jacket rides up without gussets as opposed to how far it rides up with them. I have a lamb without gussets, and a goat with, and it's not a huge world of difference.
Kaplan
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Kaplan »

Does anyone else have any favorite ways to break in a goat?
-GC
Bufflehead Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Bufflehead Jones »

I never have had to break one in. I just put them out in a fenced in area and let them start eatin'. #-o
Dre
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Dre »

How soft *do* you want the jacket?

I got a goat about a year ago and it was fairly soft as soon as I got it. Also, doesn't using pecards as soon as you get the jacket make it a little stiffer? I haven't used any pecards at all yet, or anything for that matter.

...I'm starting to think i should?
Kaplan
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Kaplan »

I never have had to break one in. I just put them out in a fenced in area and let them start eatin'.
Bufflehead had a little goat, it's fleece was shorn and bare. And everywhere that smart*** went the goat was embarrassed to be seen with him there. :wink:
How soft *do* you want the jacket?
I got a goat about a year ago and it was fairly soft as soon as I got it. Also, doesn't using pecards as soon as you get the jacket make it a little stiffer? I haven't used any pecards at all yet, or anything for that matter.
I guess I want it very very soft. It's hard to answer that question because its very subjective. I really want more wrinkles (which I hear from some of COW's senior members will come with age). :lol:
The pecards does soften it up quite a bit, especially when you use the dryer method and break the fibers a little so it absorbs better.
THANKS!
-GC
MARQ
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by MARQ »

Great looking jacket, man! You stated it´s authentic goat..mine is auth. Lamb, (RotLA) and so cool...."Fonzie"...! Ok, but yours looks allmost black or dark brown. NICE!! Enjoy the heck out of it!
Kaplan
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Kaplan »

Thanks MARQ!
Yeah, the jacket rocks. I am happy with the color, but the authentic brown can be deceiving. It looks like a different color in nearly every one of my pictures. This is the reason why I chose authentic brown...because it can be dark brown, black, light brown, and more depending on the light. It seems like the other wested color options don't quite have this quality.
-GC
MARQ
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by MARQ »

Yes it sure does that! The colour isn´t really that important ...as long as it´s INDY ,right!! \:D/
Kaplan
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Kaplan »

I don't know how "Indy" it is. I do, however, know that it is too hot outside....so for the past week, I have had the air conditioning on full blast while wearing my jacket inside every day. Even though I have only become a member of COW recently, I pay more attention to it than my own hygiene. I get dirty looks from people at Old Navy stores when I remove the strap from their Indy-on-a-budget bag. I have alienated my family. My girlfriend says I've changed. My German shepherd won't even eat the bacon from my hand....but I'm happy. :wink:
-GC
p.s. Now all I need is a:
Pleated Shirt
MK VII
S&W Revolver
10ft Bullwhip (and belt holder)
Holster
Gunbelt
Workbelt
Twill pants
Aldens
AB Deluxe (with reverse back taper)
Reassurance for dignity's sake
Much more money
Kaplan
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Kaplan »

Oh...I forgot. What kind of socks and underpants did Indy wear?
Marian would know.

Or is that where most gearheads draw the line?
-GC
J_Weaver
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by J_Weaver »

We've already talked about the socks. However, thing the underpants may be a bit over the line. :wink:
Indiana Danny
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Indiana Danny »

IF you could only buy one jacket, what material would you choose?
(goat, lamb, leather, horsehide)???
rick5150
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by rick5150 »

J_Weaver wrote:We've already talked about the socks. However, thing the underpants may be a bit over the line. :wink:
The Boxers/Briefs threads have resulted in locked and deleted threads almost without fail... :lol: