Noel Howard vs. Magnoli Indy Shirt

Bags, Boots, Shirts and all other gear should be discussed here.

Moderators: Mike, Cajunkraut, Tennessee Smith

West Virginia Jones
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Noel Howard vs. Magnoli Indy Shirt

Post by West Virginia Jones »

I have a bit of a problem (though a good problem to have). I've decided to purchase an Indy shirt & Indy pants, but I am unsure about who to purchase them from. I'm leaning towards Magnoli with the pants (the price is better, they're tailored & most importantly they can be machine washed). But the shirt is something else. I have no doubt that they are both quality shirts. Magnoli's is custom made, which is very appealing, but Noel made the original. Is there anyone out there who has both a Noel Howard & Magnoli shirt, who could give me a good comparison (ie. weight, color, material, softness, etc.). Thanks in advance.

-West Virginia Jones
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Post by binkmeisterRick »

Keep in mind if it's the originals you're after, Noel made the trousers, too. I don't have either shirt, so I can't give you a comparison, but I've heard good things from both.
West Virginia Jones
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Keep in mind if it's the originals you're after, Noel made the trousers, too.
True, but, between the price & the fact that they have to be dry cleaned, I think I like Magnoli's offering a little better. Authenticity is important, but I also want functionality. I can't go hiking all over creation in a pair of dry clean only pants.
agent5
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by agent5 »

If that's your view then go for the Magnoli. I have yet to hear any negative review of any of his clothing stuff. From all I've heard it's all top notch and it certainly looks it.
Noel does put out quality stuff. I have several pairs of his shirts and pants and I love them. I've been able to compare them to all the offerings except the Magnoli stuff. I'm also interested in the comparrison.
Han Jones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Han Jones »

I have both shirts and would go for the Magnoli without hesitation. The NH is a costume shirt and you can tell when comparing to the magnoli. For me the NH is to thin and to pink. The magnoli is a great color (stone) and feels like it will hold up very well over time. I have the Magnoli shirt, pants, pankot jacket, venice peir suit, and boots. All of them are top knotch. I have not gotten my TOD dinner jacket, cuff links or bag yet but I am sure they will be great. Do get hung up on getting original stuff for authenticity purposes. Remeber that all the orginal makers are not using the exact material or colors they did back in 80. The only way true "screen accuracy" is possible it to have the actual stuff Harrison wore during filming. Everything else is a copy and not original. Go with magnoli you will not be dissapointed.
Illinois Troy
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Illinois Troy »

Do get hung up on getting original stuff for authenticity purposes. Remeber that all the orginal makers are not using the exact material or colors they did back in 80.
um...it's my understanding that Noel sources his material from examples / swatches of originals that he still retains. Can anyone else shed more light on this that has actually discussed this with him?
Bufflehead Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Bufflehead Jones »

Canyon just got one of Noel Howard's shirts and said that it was not "pink". I wonder if his shirts are made from a different material now.
agent5
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by agent5 »

The shirts never were 'pink' at all. That was one of those things that got started like the 'pumpkin' colored Aldens.
The Noel Howard shirt is the only shirt you will find that matches the color of the original screen shirts and is made from the exact same material as the originals were.
Yes, it does seem more like a costume shirt that the other offereings I've had the opportunity to compare it to, but it's a super thin shirt compared to the rest too. I think when comparing the material to the other offerings, the thinness gives it a feeling it's a flimsy shirt, but it is not. Although made for a costume, you can wear it just like any other shirt and as far as I know they held up just fine to all the older gearheads who wore the shirt day in and day out.
West Virginia Jones
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

This discussion is mirroring the one in my head. I, too, saw Canyon's shirt & thought the same thing: That's Indy's shirt. However, I'm drawn to the custom made feature of Magnoli's offering. I'm leaning towards Magnoli, but I'm still unsure. Han Jones, any chance you could post some pictures of both shirts side by side for a comparison. That would be very helpful. Regards.

-West Virginia Jones
IndyChaos
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by IndyChaos »

Well played use of the uber-emoticon, Tone. :wink: But I agree with its sentiment. Does anyone have side-by-side pics to demonstrate the similarities/differences?
Jeff
West Virginia Jones
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Well I went ahead & ordered a shirt & pair of pants from Magnoli Clothiers. The custom made feature was just too good to pass up for me. :idea: I know that Bogie1943, who lives close by, has a Noel Howard shirt & a Wested. So when I get mine in, we can take some comparison shots of the shirts if he's game. I don't know about the pants. I'm hoping to get my gear sometime in June. Until then......regards.

-West Virginia Jones
independent
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by independent »

Wait, so Noel Howard is still in business? That has to be one of the most confusing topics. Searching through his forums, I thought he was out of the business, back in, now back out (shooting a movie of his own?).

This is what's on Indygear's shirt page:

"Note: These shirts are no longer available. On September 19, 2003, Noel Howard stopped offering Indiana Jones items. This information is here for reference purposes only."

Is that inaccurate?

I would love a comparison between Magnoli and MBA. Particularly the actual quality of the shirt: fabric, stitching, etc.

And I'm curious about the cut: I read that the Noel Howard shirt has a more fuller cut - is this to accomodate the variety in customer body types? A screen accurate shirt seems very trim in the body and sleeves. Maybe Noel Howard can do an 80s cut?

I think if Magnoli can provide a comparable fabric and craftsmanship, I would go with his. If MBA can provide a better cut, I will go with Howard.

This thread definitely needs some pics, keep us updated trailblazers.
Erri
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Erri »

milesfides wrote: This is what's on Indygear's shirt page:

"Note: These shirts are no longer available. On September 19, 2003, Noel Howard stopped offering Indiana Jones items. This information is here for reference purposes only."

Is that inaccurate?
It's not inaccurate my friend, it's just the official version since Noel has not said anything official yet about his return... I think just because he's not ready yet for a massive production. Anyway I've contacted him and his variety is just around the common measures Small Medium Large etc (and Medium Long)... plus let me tell you guys, he's VERY busy lately!

He said he's still using the same material he used for indy films... plus for who's saying the Raiders shirt was lighter colour... he told me he never produced those shirt but of that colour for all the three films and I kind of trust him. We had a talk long time ago with Kt Templar and there are a lot of argumentations for this theory about the same colour of the shirt in all the three films.

I wish we can get a comparation with Magnoli shirt soon. Don't know if Canyon is going to buy a Magnoli shirt aswell. In that case we would have a comparation within these two.
Indiana_Tom
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Indiana_Tom »

I completely agree with Agent5; Noel's shirts are really good stuff and I like my shirt very much!
I never saw a Magnoli shirt, but some months ago I made a comparison between Noel's and Wested's shirts; so here are the pics:

Noel Howard shirt

Wested shirt

Sorry that I can't compare Magnoli's shirt with these versions, just my $0.02 :wink:

Regards,

Tom
Erri
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Erri »

These are great pictures Tom!!! Thanks for sharing.