UPDATE!!! Chicago whipcracking... Cancelled/ A done deal.

From falls & poppers to plaiting & cracking technique, this section is dedicated in memory of Sergei, IndyGear Staff Member and Whip Guru. Always remember to keep "Celebratin' Life!"

Moderator: BullWhipBorton

agent5
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

UPDATE!!! Chicago whipcracking... Cancelled/ A done deal.

Post by agent5 »

It was mid-October the last time we got together here in Chicago to do some whip cracking and I think it's time to do so again. I had a blast the last time and I think with more warning we'll be able to get a few more bodies out there to learn a thing or two and be blown away by our in house artists.

I'm just throwing this out there to put it in peoples minds and we can go from here when interest arises.

I'm ready to learn something new!
Last edited by agent5 on Fri Jul 07, 2006 2:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Indiana Blooze
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Indiana Blooze »

I live about an hour and 15 east of Chicago, if I'm not working and I don't have a "honey do" list #-o , I'm in.
winrichwhips
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by winrichwhips »

I'm game for another mini-summit.

Chris Camp is a pretty busy whip cracker, so he should be the first one to chime in on the date.

I know there's going to be a Whip-Nic in St. Louis at the end of this month. It's more about whips in general and not really an Indy-specific event. I think most of the people involved have commited to a date for it, except for Chris who has yet to check his calender.

-Adam
midwestwhips
Vendor

Post by midwestwhips »

I'd like to make it if I can, I wish I could have made the last one.

And as for the St. Louis Whip-nic, it looks like we will be having one on the 28th of this month, but it's still up in the air at the moment. I'll post something as soon as it's set. And I'll try to give chris a call today and see if he's checked his callender, YET. :D

Regards,

Paul Nolan
MidWestWhips

Oh, by the way, I had heard some mumblings that there may be a Whip BBQ up in Chicago area this sunday. I don't know where exactly, but that's what I've heard.
winrichwhips
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by winrichwhips »

WHIP BBQ??? What da dizzle, P-fizzle?

Who's hosting it? What's it about?

-Adam
midwestwhips
Vendor

Post by midwestwhips »

Adam,

I think it's like the whip-nic, and I was told it's being hosted by Michael Kellar, but I really don't know any more than that. A customer mentioned it.

Regards,

Paul Nolan
MidWestWhips
Glurrk
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Glurrk »

I was able to make the last one- I bet I could make this one, too. 8)
prettybigguy
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by prettybigguy »

I'll be out of town the 3rd week of June, but other than that I should be available.
Illinois Troy
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Illinois Troy »

Id like to do this as well. I missed out on the last one and would definitely like to get some pointers , maybe learn a few new cracks from the experts.

Illinois
VP
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by VP »

Hey Glurrk, you should post more often than once every month.
winrichwhips
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by winrichwhips »

Any further developments on a Chicago Summit?

And hey, the King Tut exhibit begins at the Field Museum Memorial Day weekend. I wouldn't mind coming down to Chicago for a Summit one day and do the Field Museum the next day.

Right now the first weekend in June is open for me.

July 23, 24 is also open. If we can decide on the later date, then we can do more promotions on other whip-oriented sites/forums so we can get more people there cracking whips.

If we can even organize a whip competition of sorts (probably preceeded by some instruction and practice) I'd be willing to donate a prize or two.

-Adam
agent5
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by agent5 »

GOOD NEWS!!!

This from TheIndyExperience:
The Music Box Theatre in Chicago, IL will be hosting screenings of the entire Indiana Jones trilogy in July and August. In celebration of it's 25th anniversary this year, the Music Box will be screening Raiders of the Lost Ark on July 21st - 26th with an all new 35mm print. The Music Box will then continue the Indy mayhem with two screenings of Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom on August 4th and 5th and finishing off with two screenigns of Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade on August 11th and 12th. For more information, visit The Music Box Theatre to learn more.

I say we plan to have this on the weekend Raiders will be playing so we can all go down and see the greatest movie of all time on the big screen again after a day of whipcracking and a good dinner. We can also hit the museum too if we start out early. The Tut exhibit is a great idea. I'd love to go. What I saw on the news the other night looks incredible.
But I think to cap a day of whipcracking with friends with a screening of a new Raiders print would be incredible.

July is a ways away so it should give all parties ample time to plan out this event. I know summer is busy but it would be awesome to be able to pull it off on that weekend.

What's up? Sound good to y'all?

Minnesota, you in?
winrichwhips
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by winrichwhips »

Seeing 'Raiders' on the big screen sounds cool!

I saw the Tut exhibit this past weekend. I liked it, though I was dissapointed that they didn't have the death mask, which is perhaps the most recognized artifact from ancient Egypt, aside from the pyramids. The closest thing they had to it was a miniature coffin, about 40 cm high, which was made from gold and incredibly detailed.

I'll put this on my calendar and commit, though we really need Chris Camp and Paul Nolan to chime in, as they're pretty much a must at any quality whip-cracking event.

-Adam
ShanghaiJack
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by ShanghaiJack »

Sounds great. :cry: Man, I wish I was back in the states.

Agent5 your new avatar is great. I watched it all the way through before I even read your post!
Strider
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Strider »

winrichwhips wrote:Seeing 'Raiders' on the big screen sounds cool!
Why do that, when you can watch it on Agent 5's avatar! :shock:!!
VP
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by VP »

That thing is so wanha. viewtopic.php?t=16633
agent5
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by agent5 »

I'll put this on my calendar and commit, though we really need Chris Camp and Paul Nolan to chime in, as they're pretty much a must at any quality whip-cracking event.
I didn't wanna let this thread die quickly as it appeared to be doing before, so I was curious if any of you have spoken to these two fine gents recently? I'd love to have as many experts out here as well to help the rest of us poor, lonely, unexperienced whip enthusiasts.

So...Chris or Paul, if you're reading this, please chime in or if any of you talk to them, please make them aware of this date at the end of July. Thanks.
Canasta
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Canasta »

Hey, who you callin' fine?

Thanks for the invite and I would love to come up, play, see a movie, have dinner and just have an all aound great time.
That weekend is actually open for me.
LET'S DO IT!
I'll try to round up Paul and see if he can make it too.
I'm not quite sure if I would come up Saturday and stay until Sunday, but I need to be back home Sunday night/Monday morning.

Looking forward to it.
Perhaps the Tut Exhibit too? Maybe too much.
Chris
prettybigguy
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by prettybigguy »

This sounds great, count me in! I think whip cracking, dinner and the screening is more than enough though. The Tut exhibt may be too much.
PBG
agent5
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by agent5 »

I'd be more than happy to host again and any of you out of towners are more than welcome to spend the night. All I ask is that you leave a whip behind as Adam did the last time he stayed over.

Oh...wait...that was only a dream. :lol:

In any case, I'm looking forward to this greatly. I think it's gunna be a good weekend.
winrichwhips
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by winrichwhips »

Okay, Agent5, I can take a hint. I promise to leave something behind this time around. I'll make sure it's a surprise :wink: or maybe just a box of Cheerios.

-Adam
agent5
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by agent5 »

Dude...I LOVE Cheerios. Especially the new fruity stuff and who can resist the great taste of Honey Nut Cheerios, eh?

Seriously though, no need to give me anything. Just don't leave me a mess is all I ask and that's not much. We had a blast last time (at least I did) and I'm sure it'll be even better this time with better weather and more people. Well, I hope more people. We have a bit of time.

Just one word of warning. The movie may be at midnight. They do midnight showings but since this is for the anniversary it may be a feature. I'll find out and let you all know. However, it means nothing to me to go at midnight. I'm cool with that. I almost prefer it.
midwestwhips
Vendor

Post by midwestwhips »

I can't say for sure at the moment if I can make it or not, It sounds like a blast and I'm gonna do my best to make it work. The weekend after that is the Ohio WWAC Convention. I'll have to see how the next couple weeks go.

I'll keep ya posted.

Regards,

Paul Nolan
MidWestWhips
agent5
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by agent5 »

http://www.musicboxtheatre.com/MusicBoxSummer.pdf

Looks like Raiders will be playing at regular hours so it should work out good for everyone. I don't see it playing at midnight that weekend and they have it listed as a feature for the 25th. Cool.

TOD and LC are playing midnight shows the following weekends. Also cool.
BullWhipBorton

Post by BullWhipBorton »

I’ve been keeping a watch on this topic waiting to see how the details ironed out. The summer months are usually are really busy for me, so it might be hard to get away but I’d like to try to attend. I’ll know more the closer the dates get but It sounds like a great event and a lot of fun, plus I have I have been wanting to make the trip down to Chicago for the Tut exhibit at the Field Museum too.

Dan
Indiana Blooze
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Indiana Blooze »

If anybody is in the area this weekend, I'll be at the Blues Festival this Saturday, and hope to catch a museum on Sunday
winrichwhips
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by winrichwhips »

Okay, now I think we've confirmed the date. If we can decide on a location and times for some whipcracking, I'll post the details on some other websites to get more whipcrackers out there.

So that means Chris Camp has to pick Saturday or Sunday, and Paul Nolan has to realize that he has to come to this event despite Annie Oakley Days being the weekend after ;-)

For this gathering I'd like to come up with an Indy-themed competition that could be fun for everbody. Maybe have a manikin holding a wooden knife (or dowel) and you have to whip the 'knife' out of his hand, like in TOD. Or if we want to practice wrapping stuff, it can be fun to use a smooth round post, set it in a shallow hole in the ground, and see who can wrap it, pull it out of the ground, and then pull it past a certain mark on the ground. This would use the same skills required in wrapping something and swinging from it, without actually swinging.

-Adam
agent5
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by agent5 »

OK. Called the Music Box yesterday and found that Raiders is playing as a feature so there will be at least 4 showings a day of it on both Saturday and Sunday. They didn't have times yet but guessed them from experience to most likely be at 2, 5 , 7 and 9 o'clock.
I had some family ask me about that same weekend so I'd love to be able to nail down the day we're gunna do this so I can make other plans and I'm sure that couldn't hurt any of your planning either.
It looks as though Saturday will be the best day for me and Illinois Troy said the same. What about you guys? How does Saturday work for the rest of you?
winrichwhips
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by winrichwhips »

I can do either day, though since Chris Camp's schedule is tighter, maybe he should chime in on this.

But I vote for Saturday.

-Adam
agent5
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by agent5 »

Anyone else? Saturday?
BullWhipBorton

Post by BullWhipBorton »

I definitely think Saturday would be the better of the two days. That would give anyone traveling Friday night or early Saturday morning to get in, then have all day Sunday to either see some of the sights in the area or just get home with out having to rush out Sunday night for work Monday morning if they decide to stay over Saturday night. Also in that case, Sunday could be used as a back up day, if Saturday was rained out.

Dan
Canasta
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Canasta »

Saturday is a little tougher for me as my wife will have been in Dallas from the 15th to the 20 and I will have been on the road that Monday through Friday. I'm in Richmond, IN on Friday. Maybe I could just come right to Chicago from IN.
I'm gonna ry real hard to make this work one way or another.
I'll have a solid answer in a couple of days.

Until then, I'll leave you with a joke.

Two TV antennas met on a roof and fell in love.
They decided to get married.
The wedding wasn't that good, but the reception was great!

ZING!

C
agent5
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by agent5 »

You can do it, Chris. RAIDERS on the big screen and a new print at that.

Anyone else have any updates? I'd love to be able to nail this down as soon as possible.
agent5
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by agent5 »

Anyone esle? Updates? Can we get a list of who's coming for certain?
prettybigguy
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by prettybigguy »

I'll be there. The wife may come along too.
PBG
Illinois Troy
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Illinois Troy »

Doing my best to make sure Ive got the day cleared. Looking forward to meeting some of you in person. Cheers!
agent5
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by agent5 »

So, for certain so far we have...

Myself
Winwrichwhips
PrettyBigGuy
Canasta

Those wanting to make it but not certain are...

BullWhipBorton
Illinois Troy
MidwestWhips
Glurrk
Indiana Blooze
? (unknowns from various whip boards) ?

I'm hoping those on the bottom list will chime in soon as this is only less than a few weeks away. I'd definitely be able to host as my house again unless anyone else has any objections or really wants to host. I also have a spare room and several comfy couches if anyone needs to spend the night. This is the type of stuff I wanted to try to get out of the way now instead of waiting till the last minute, which is my usual m.o.

I have some friends coming in from out of town on Sunday so I wanted to get this as planned out as possible ahead of schedule.
Last edited by agent5 on Mon Jul 03, 2006 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Canasta
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Canasta »

I'm in.
Chris
agent5
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by agent5 »

Okay. NOW it's a party! :lol:

Glad you can make it, man. Lemme know if you need a place to crash. Be happy to help if you can't or don't wanna make the long drive home that same night.
Glurrk
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Glurrk »

I'm still slightly iffy- Here's the scoop: My wife wants to see what this whip-crackin' is all about, and this means she would end up bringing my 5 month old daughter along...

...who does not like loud noises!

So, I'm going to see if she doesn't freak out (my daughter, that is) if I put her in the yard and crack the whip around a few times to see how she handles it.

This really ought to be interesting... :roll: I'll try to get you guys an update on my own status soon!
winrichwhips
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by winrichwhips »

Okay, now let's get a time and place for the whipcracking on that Saturday, and I'll post it on other sites to see if we can get some more whipcrackers involved.

-Adam
agent5
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by agent5 »

We can meet here again if that's ok with all of you. I'm going to check out a spot where Illinois Troy and I did some whipcracking a few years ago which is even closer to my house than the first spot we went to and it's a little more enclosed so you'll be able to hear the cracks on time this time if we choose to go there. I'm gunna scout it out tomorrow and see how it is and report back.

I'd like to know if any of you are planning to spend the night over at my place because I was invited to a concert that night and since I'll already be in the city to see Raiders, I may stay if none of you are planning on spending the night. My friend already has someone to take my place and I don't mind not going if any of you guys are gunna crash at my place so it's no big deal to pass on the concert. I'd just like to be able to make my plans and not leave my friend hanging till the last minute.
Canasta
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Canasta »

By the looks of Glurrk's avatar, he's started the party without us.

C
Indiana Blooze
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Indiana Blooze »

Sorry, count me out on the 29th. I have prior work commitments that day.
agent5
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by agent5 »

Well, Blooze, you're in luck then. It's on Saturday the 22nd, not Sunday the 29th!

Recheck your schedule, man.

RAIDERS on the BIG screen, man. Is anything else really THAT important for you to miss it? :lol:
Indiana Blooze
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Indiana Blooze »

Agent5 wrote:
Well, Blooze, you're in luck then. It's on Saturday the 22nd, not Sunday the 29th!
Ack!!! Blasted bi-focal contact lenses.
Sorry, I have to work on the 22nd also. Oh the curse of being a public servant
BullWhipBorton

Post by BullWhipBorton »

Unfortunately I won’t be able to make it :( . If for any reason that changes in the next couple weeks though, I’ll let you know.

Dan
winrichwhips
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by winrichwhips »

Yeah, I'm thinking I might have to take my name out of the hat on this one. Between gas prices and all the whips I have to make, a pleasure trip down to Chicago might be out of the question right now.

Also, I was planning on staying at Agent5's place, and I'd hate to be the reason for him missing seeing a concert with his friends.

-Adam
agent5
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by agent5 »

Yeah, I'm thinking I might have to take my name out of the hat on this one. Between gas prices and all the whips I have to make, a pleasure trip down to Chicago might be out of the question right now.

Also, I was planning on staying at Agent5's place, and I'd hate to be the reason for him missing seeing a concert with his friends.

-Adam
??????

Dude, you've been on this since we first mentioned it. What gives? I thought you were all over getting some others from the whip boards and now you're backing out? As I said, the concert is of little importance. I only thought that if nobody was staying that I may go. I'm not now though.

Is this just a bad time for everyone? Should we do this some other time?
Indiana Joe
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Indiana Joe »

I'm only a couple of hours away but I won't be able to attend that Saturday either.
I remember how much fun I had in Athens, Ga. a few years back with some fellow gearheads. I'd love to do it again here in Illinois but just can't swing it now. Perhaps later this year? When it cools down, it'll be a good reason to wear a jacket! :wink: