need advice on distressing

Discuss technique for prolonging the life of your gear or giving it that aged look

Moderator: Dalexs

Indiana Cromeens
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

need advice on distressing

Post by Indiana Cromeens »

well I tested some acetone on the inside pocket of my dark brown crusade, and I didn't really like the result, it looks okay in the pictures but looks kinda purple in person(see pics). any really good natural distressing techniques any of you cow members could share(pics would be great)?I'm thinking of maybe using the acetone instead of sand paper on the seams,then doing bellycrawls and back pushes on some sandy concrete.I don't think acetone will work very well on a darkbrown jacket in the traditional regular-guy method.I beseech the COW gods for guidance.
VP
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Re: need advice on distressing

Post by VP »

Indiana Cromeens wrote:back pushes on some sandy concrete
I've been distressing mine that way for a few days. I have yet to find good enough walls tho, so the results aren't that good yet. Slowly but surely.
Ken
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by Ken »

If the color you have revealed by distressing is what is distressing you (bad pun I know) then I am afraid there is very little you can do. Distressing a jacket removes the color from the surface layer and reveals the hide underneath. So while you have certain control over the intensity of the distressing and the areas you chose to distress and in what way 'pattern' or regulation there is nothing you can do about the color of the hide underneath.

Now different jackets will have a different base hide underneath. For example the lamb tends to distress with tan showing through whereas the authentic goat will distress with a more grey color showing through.

Its all down to preference. So dont make any major decisions until you are sure you are prepared for and going to be happy with the results.

Good luck

Ken
Havana
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Havana »

I'm a distressing novice but I think acetone is the only thing that will give a distressed appearance without actually harming the leather. It just removes the finish. If you're willing to actually work on the hide itself, I think variety is the key. Some people rely heavily on sand paper but a small wire brush can give nice results if used delicately. I have even scored some parts of my lamb by using smooth river stones about the size of a Coke can and even coarser granite gravel pieces not much bigger than a Hershey's Kiss. (Hey, I should get a kickback for product placement here.) Whatever you do, just do a little and stop for a day or two. Distressing is never quick work and it requires reflection and contemplation.
Bjones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Bjones »

A good method for collecting ideas on what do do with your distressing is to look at some of these vinatge jackets on e-bay and such-pick patterns and examples of natural wear and try to copy them. Havana, I used the ol' rock trick on one of my cheaper jackets back when I first found this site...you're right it does take some time. The key is to keep some uniformity. Beat up the whole thing as a base and then go back and highlight the stress areas. You don't want it to look like a new jacket that's been attacked, ala the tiger or leapard look (spots and stripes over fresh leather. It was a fun experiment, but no way am I touching my wested. :wink:
J_Weaver
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by J_Weaver »

Thats a good idea Bjones. Have a vintage A-2 that is beautifully and naturally distressed. I thought about trying to copy the distressing on my Wested, but I really don't trust myself. :)
Indiana Cromeens
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

thanks fellas, I've ended up just using dirt and sandpaper, sandpapered the seams and roughed it up a bit then got it nice and dirty with some tan colored dirtand rubbed it in the distressed areas. its worked very well and I'm pleased with the result.
Havana
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Havana »

You're right. That jacket looks pretty good. Many people carry it way too far. I think you've reached the perfect stopping point. You've given it a great start. Now let nature do the rest.
Indiana Cromeens
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Thanks havana, I appreciate that coming from a distressing expert. I've arrived at the same conclusion has well-just a little boost to help time and nature work their magic.
astroboy
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by astroboy »

I had a pretty good result with Methylated spirits alcohol, light snad paper, throwing it against a brick wall, lending it to my little nephew for a few days, and rubbing it with a cloth and Pecards...
Indiana Cromeens
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

thanks astroboy, I've been doing a lot of hard hiking that requires climbing over rough rocks, belly crawls and back pushes, its been helping quite a bit, my jacket's starting to get there, I'm getting ready to take the plunge w/ acetone, methylated spirits sound good, what are they, by the way where can a brother get some.
bleyd
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by bleyd »

I think I read in one of the other threads about using tennis balls in a dryer. I did that today and it seems to be working. I grabbed a bunch of the dog toys and threw them in with my zipped up Wested. ran the dryer with the heat off for 30 minutes. It didn't wear it down as much as I thought it would but I did notice some added wear around the edges. It knocked down some of the sheen but it still has a little shine to it. I took some before pix but lost the sun to get the after pix. I'm doing my best to wheater mine as naturally as possible. I wear it any chance I get.

The sleeves lok VERY wrinkled now. The collar is beginning to have that broken in look. Not bad for having it less than a year. I figure by the time Indy 4 comes out I'll have it wheathered quite nice. I don't want to run a brush across it til I get another later down the road. As for the dirt I'm a tad afraid to use Vegas soil as it is VERY high in the acidic content so I plan to get one of them dirt bags to dust with. :wink: