My soon to be new child....... Now With Pics !

From falls & poppers to plaiting & cracking technique, this section is dedicated in memory of Sergei, IndyGear Staff Member and Whip Guru. Always remember to keep "Celebratin' Life!"

Moderator: BullWhipBorton

Ripper
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

My soon to be new child....... Now With Pics !

Post by Ripper »

The one and only Paul Nolan :notworthy: is currently putting the finishing touches on my 10' Roo whip. He has graciously agreed to post pictures of it as he finishes so stay tuned. Its been about 2 years since I have had a whip, my very first one was a cowhide, swivel Handel 12' my dad bought me when I was 10. Still have it. My second I had to sell, it went to Paul, she was an 8' Joe Strain. Great whip.
Now after a bit my new baby is coming home and I cant wait to crack it! I am buying a digital camera soon .....so pics to follow after she is broke in.
I cant wait!.................IR :whip:
Last edited by Ripper on Fri Apr 07, 2006 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
RandallFlagg
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by RandallFlagg »

What part of Colorado are you in?

...In case my kids ask what that loud popping is over the horizon, I can just say, "Another happy whip owner."

I'm in Denver.
BullWhipBorton

Post by BullWhipBorton »

Indiana Ripper, That’s great, Paul is a class act and I don’t think you’ll be disappointed with his work. So, Did you order one of his Indy style bullwhip or something fancier? Anyway looking forward to hearing more and seeing some pictures.

Dan
Ripper
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Ripper »

Randall I Live in Aurora. I cant wait to see his work! Dan, Paul is making an Indy whip for me. I will post pics after I get it and have a chance to throw her around a bit. :wink: ...........IR
midwestwhips
Vendor

Post by midwestwhips »

:oops:

thanks you guys, you made me blush

IR, here you are, pics of your new 10 foot Indy!!! COME ON DOWN, YOU'RE THE NEXT CONTESTANT ON THE WHIP IS RIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!(Rod Roddy Voice)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Some of the specs that are specific-

Indiana Ripper wanted a bigger knot and heavier whip than the strain he had(which I now have :D ) and I will add that the strain is smaller thinner and lighter than most of his that I've seen.

Also, IR sent along a pic of a Paul Stenhouse whip that is on his website and said that he wanted it to look like that whip, but with a whitehide fall on it. So I've included a couple pics with a comparison shot with the picture.

I put a bit of extra effort into making the knot a more rugged Morgan esque knot while still having it look like the Stenhouse in the picture. So far it is my favorite Indy whip of mine yet, but then again I say that with almost every one.

And there are some shots of the whip before and after the finish was put on and also of it being braided and before the bottom knot was put on.

I made the pics a bit on the smaller side to save a bit of space and not distort the txt on the thread, but if everyone wants me to post the larger pics, just let me know, or I can also email them.

I hope you all like the pics, and let me know what you think.

Regards,

Paul Nolan
MidWestWhips
Ripper
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Ripper »

:shock: :shock: Holy @#$%, its beautiful !! You nailed it, I mean, its perfect ! I cant wait to get it ! :notworthy: Paul , your a man among men , a true class act and you are delivering better than you promised !! :clap: I will recommend you to everyone I know who even had a slight interest in getting a whip. I am absolutely floored and I haven't even held it yet ! I cant wait !! \:D/ Thanks again and I am in your debt! ....Ir (Patrick)
Paul_Stenhouse
Vendor

Post by Paul_Stenhouse »

Hi Paul,

Well, I don't know, I mean the handle's way off, and the colour, well...where to begin.....now I'm getting copied? Where will the madness end?

I'm just messing with you! Nicely done there. But, does it handle like a Stenhouse? :lol: :whip:

I can't wait to get set up in a house again, so I can start making whips again. It's driving me nuts!

From where are you acquiring skins these days?

Best Regards,

Paul Stenhouse
Canyon
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Canyon »

An absolutely beautiful whip. :clap: :clap: :clap: Well done! :mrgreen:
Herr Jones
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Herr Jones »

Mighty fine whip you're geting there Indiana Ripper.

Paul N.,

I can't find the mistake, kidding. Great construction pictures.

Paul S.,
...now I'm getting copied? Where will the madness end?
Read my reply viewtopic.php?t=16001 just thought it was a funny coincidence.

Best,
Herr Jones
Ripper
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Ripper »

You know...they say imitation is the best form of flattery....... :wink: .Ill let you know how it handles when it arrives!
jabahutt70
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by jabahutt70 »

IR,

Congrats on your newborn....or whip-child....err, nice leather!

Paul N.,

Gr8 job as always, and thanks for posting those pics! I always enjoy the under-construction pics. I'm just curious, but on the cover knot where the plaiting changes, do you build up a small portion beneath the knot? I know everyone is a little different, but knots on some whips look very fat. But yours don't seem this way~ just a silly question.

Steve.
Ripper
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Ripper »

Thank you all. I think I will bring it to the QM this year, it will be my first.
midwestwhips
Vendor

Post by midwestwhips »

Hi Patrick,

I'm so very happy that your so happy!!!

Paul S,
Hi Paul,

Well, I don't know, I mean the handle's way off, and the colour, well...where to begin.....now I'm getting copied? Where will the madness end?

I'm just messing with you! Nicely done there. But, does it handle like a Stenhouse?

From where are you acquiring skins these days?

Best Regards,

Paul Stenhouse
HAHAHA, thanks. And, no, it doesn't handle like a Stenhouse... It handles like a Nolan! :-)

I get my skins from a couple different places, some from hardke, some from Richard taubman, and I've got some hides on the way from simon.

I don't remember exactly where the hide for this one came from, but when IR and I had first started to work out our trade deal I had set this hide aside for his whip, and I think that was about 2 years ago, it was and extreemely thick and large hide.
An absolutely beautiful whip. Well done!
Thanks canyon for that, I've never gotten a triple clap before, :-)
Paul N.,

I can't find the mistake, kidding. Great construction pictures.
Herr Jones,

This had me rolling :rolling:
Paul N.,

Gr8 job as always, and thanks for posting those pics! I always enjoy the under-construction pics. I'm just curious, but on the cover knot where the plaiting changes, do you build up a small portion beneath the knot? I know everyone is a little different, but knots on some whips look very fat. But yours don't seem this way~ just a silly question.

Steve.
Steve,

I'm glad you like the under construction pics, I'll keep including them then.

You're talking about the top of the handle transition cover knot right? What makes some fatter and skinnier is due to a couple things. Some whipmakers build up with a thin strip of leather, some use just string to build it up or sinue. And it depends on how much it is built up. Also it depends on how the lace is prepared, if it is skived opposite corners or both underside, and if the lace is split. I've done it different ways before, but I've found for the smoothest look it's best just a coulpe wraps of the sinue and just tie it over it.

And Ripper,

when's the QM summit this year, I'd like to make it to one, I've been wanting to for a while now.

Regards,

Paul Nolan
MidWestWhips
Ripper
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Ripper »

Paul,
I think the date for the QM is still in debate , That would be great if we could both make it, Id like you to see the whip you made me in action, lol.
Ill let you know when it arrives! Take care, nothing but respect! IR (Patrick)
BullWhipBorton

Post by BullWhipBorton »

Hey that bullwhip looks fantastic. Great job Paul, you know you’re not to bad at that whip making stuff :wink:

Patrick, enjoy your new whip when it arrives, it’s a beauty. :)

Dan
Ripper
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Ripper »

:whip: Well, it got here yesterday, I missed the mailman and had to go chase him down, I'm sure he thought I was a nut! The whip is gorgeous! Perfect color and weight, no flaws. A little stiff but it is new and I will have that worked out in no time! Cracks like a cannon !
I will post pics as soon as I can, it looks just like the earlier pics in this post. I would like to thak Paul for the great work he did for me and I highly recommend him to anyone who wants an awesome whip! He has a lifetime customer now and I endorse him 100%. thanks again Paul! :whip:
midwestwhips
Vendor

Post by midwestwhips »

Hey Patrick,

Wow!!! I couldn't ask for a better compliment! I'm so pleased that your so happy with the whip, It'll be great to see how it wears in over time.

I'm still amazed at how quick it got there.

And I'd like to make it to the QM, but we will have to see when the date is and what else I've got going on at the time, and then there's the whole affordability issue, I'm at least a few hundred miles even further away than you are.

And Dan,

Thanks, I had a little chuckel when I first saw that.

Regards,

Paul Nolan
MidWestWhips
astroboy
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by astroboy »

Good luck!
Indiana Texas-girl
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Indiana Texas-girl »

Paul, the QM is the weekend before Thanksgiving. Would be great if you could come. Maybe you can talk to MK about doing a workshop on making whips Saturday afternoon. I know lots of us would love to learn:
http://www.thefedoralounge.com/QM2006.html
midwestwhips
Vendor

Post by midwestwhips »

Indiana Texas-girl wrote:Paul, the QM is the weekend before Thanksgiving. Would be great if you could come. Maybe you can talk to MK about doing a workshop on making whips Saturday afternoon. I know lots of us would love to learn:
http://www.thefedoralounge.com/QM2006.html
Hi Holly, I forgot to post back here, I took a look at the link, and I would love to go. I'm not sure I can make it this year though. It all depends on finances and what the family plans are for thanksgiving. On holidays our family usually has the get togethers the weekend before or weekend after the actual holiday so on the holday they can spend it with the other side of the family.

If it works out that I can make it, I would be more than happy to do some sort of workshop.

Regards,

Paul Nolan
MidWestWhips