Raider's style Winrich Whip

From falls & poppers to plaiting & cracking technique, this section is dedicated in memory of Sergei, IndyGear Staff Member and Whip Guru. Always remember to keep "Celebratin' Life!"

Moderator: BullWhipBorton

winrichwhips
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Raider's style Winrich Whip

Post by winrichwhips »

A customer sent me a bunch of pictures and measurements of whips used in 'Raiders' with the goal of making a whip as close as possible to what was used in the movies.

It's a kangaroo hide 10 footer.

The trick is, though, that there was a lot of different whips used in 'Raiders' and everybody who likes the whips used in that movie always seems to get attached to a different detail or a specific pic of a whip used in the movie.

This customer just specified the length of the handle, knots, wrist-loop, as well as the width of the wrist loop and the shape of the knob.

I tried using bolsters that where thin to keep the diameter off the handle really small. So the handle ended up the widest part of the whip. If you look at some pics of 'Raiders' whips they look really small, like they were made smaller on purpose so that they stayed on the belt easier or were easier to wear around while doing stunts.

I know someone said that maybe there was a bolster left out of the 'Raiders' whips, and looking at some screen grabs, the whip handle just looks so long (even though we all know it was only 8 inches long) it makes me really think that a bolster was left out, at least in some whips.

Well, I sent this customer pics of this whip, and he has the option of turning it down and having me make him another. I myself like it so much part of me is hoping he has me make another so I can have this one.

-Adam, www.winrichwhips.com
Pitfall Harry
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Re: Raider's style Winrich Whip

Post by Pitfall Harry »

winrichwhips wrote:Image

A customer sent me a bunch of pictures and measurements of whips used in 'Raiders' with the goal of making a whip as close as possible to what was used in the movies.

It's a kangaroo hide 10 footer.

The trick is, though, that there was a lot of different whips used in 'Raiders' and everybody who likes the whips used in that movie always seems to get attached to a different detail or a specific pic of a whip used in the movie.

This customer just specified the length of the handle, knots, wrist-loop, as well as the width of the wrist loop and the shape of the knob.

I tried using bolsters that where thin to keep the diameter off the handle really small. So the handle ended up the widest part of the whip. If you look at some pics of 'Raiders' whips they look really small, like they were made smaller on purpose so that they stayed on the belt easier or were easier to wear around while doing stunts.

I know someone said that maybe there was a bolster left out of the 'Raiders' whips, and looking at some screen grabs, the whip handle just looks so long (even though we all know it was only 8 inches long) it makes me really think that a bolster was left out, at least in some whips.

Well, I sent this customer pics of this whip, and he has the option of turning it down and having me make him another. I myself like it so much part of me is hoping he has me make another so I can have this one.

Wow.......that looks really great. :tup:

Is that a 12 plait natural color Kangroo hide?

How much do you sell a whip like that for? If I ever end up buying another whip, like a 10 foot one , I may end up getting one from you.

Not that I don't love my 8ft WSP whip but I've seen alot of people with your whips and everyone loves them.

If I know of anyone else looking for a whip I'll point them in your direction first. :D
ecwhips
Vendor

Post by ecwhips »

Looks nice, Adam. I was just in the same situation the other day. I finished up an 8 footer in natural tan that I was really pleased with. And it was hard stuffing it into a box and handing it off to the mail man!

Jim
winrichwhips
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by winrichwhips »

Hi Jim,

Yeah, though with me, that supreme sense of satisfaction over a job well done only lasts about a day. Like, I made a nice kangaroo stockwhip for myself this past weekend, with a full-plait handle and a big shiny metal ring on it. Right after I finished it I was, like, 'wow, this is really great!' Then I start looking at it more and more and I think, 'man, how fast can I sell this so I can make another one that's more perfect?' That's probably just because I've done this long enough I spot all the tiny flaws that really don't matter.

I remember when I went to see Jim Hurlbutt he showed me a 24-plait two-tone stockwhip he made. He had all sorts of patterns in the lash, mainly different kinds of diamonds, and I went over the thing picking out all sorts of stuff I didn't like. I don't think that made him very happy :lol:

One thing about this whip is I really reefed on the strands in the bellies and in the overlay while plaiting right at the transition to see if I could get a nice smooth arc when holding the handle straight up. I haven't cracked this whip, but as of right now if you hold the handle straight up the lash arcs out perfectly. That might change once the whip is cracked a lot and the leather shifts. So, in the close up of the handle, if the plaiting doesn't look as neat, it's because I was more worried about pulling really tight in that area. The plaiting in the rest of the whip turned out neater.

Pitfall,

Yes, this whip is 12-plait natural kangaroo.

ecwhips
Vendor

Post by ecwhips »

winrichwhips wrote:Hi Jim,

Yeah, though with me, that supreme sense of satisfaction over a job well done only lasts about a day. Like, I made a nice kangaroo stockwhip for myself this past weekend, with a full-plait handle and a big shiny metal ring on it. Right after I finished it I was, like, 'wow, this is really great!' Then I start looking at it more and more and I think, 'man, how fast can I sell this so I can make another one that's more perfect?' That's probably just because I've done this long enough I spot all the tiny flaws that really don't matter.

Adam,

Same here! Within a day or two of making the whip I start thinking I can do better, so I sell it and move on to another. On the other hand, everytime I really start to like my own work the new Murphywhips catalog shows up in the mail. I start thumbing through it and think, man I need to get better! :D

Jim
thefish
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by thefish »

Good lord, that's a tiny point on that thing, Adam! How many strands did you drop to the hitch?

Looks good! Will patina beautifully, I'm sure.

Is it the lighting, or are the knots lighter than the overlay? Did you use a different hide for those? Also, you attached the popper differently than you usually do. "What up with dat, Whitey Bear?"

Anyway, once again. Good lookin' whip!

-Dan
winrichwhips
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by winrichwhips »

Dan,

It's a 6 strand point, and it's more the size of my regular kangaroo points, not the cowhide points.

Yes, the knots are probably lighter. The knots never take as much grease as the overlay, which is why the overlay is darker. Otherwise they are made from the same hides as the overlay.

I attached the cracker with the more traditional knot used to usually tie on crackers. I dunno, just sort of did it on a whim.

I got an email from the guy this whip is supposed to go to, and while I don't know for sure, I get the feeling I will end up keeping this whip.

binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Post by binkmeisterRick »

WOW!!!!! :shock: I don't often check out the whip section (since I have my IOAB whip) but this whip looks incredible, Adam! I didn't see an answer to the price question, so what would that puppy run?

bink
Dekker
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Dekker »

binkmeisterRick wrote:so what would that puppy run?
Puppy hide?!?! :shock:

:lol:
winrichwhips
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by winrichwhips »

This whip is $400 ( I don't think it's totally shameless to post prices openly :wink: )

-Adam
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Post by binkmeisterRick »

Dekker wrote:
binkmeisterRick wrote:so what would that puppy run?
Puppy hide?!?! :shock:

:lol:
It barks when you crack it. :wink:

Thanks for the pricing, Adam! (Counting the change from all the wallets I've "aquired.") :wink:
winrichwhips
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by winrichwhips »

The whip pictured in this post is up for grabs. I'm taking it to the WWAC convention so Paul 'P-fizzle' Nolan can see one of my Indy whips in person. After I get back I'll put a formal post in the classfieds.

Retail is $400, however other offers will be considered.