Newbie Onboard

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

AGRo
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Newbie Onboard

Post by AGRo »

G'day everyone,

I just wanted to introduce myself and say thanks for the existence of this awesome community. My name is Adam and I live near Sydney, Australia. I had the pleasure of driving up to Katoomba and visiting the Hattery last Monday and I purchased my first fedora, an Akubra Fed Deluxe. It's a lovely hat. The staff there are great and I mentioned that I had stumbled across the IndyGear website and they were very happy to take the time to chat about all things Indy. The cafe next door was nice too! I will post a pic asap with my first attempt at a Raiders bash. I've so much to learn! :shock:
Last edited by AGRo on Wed Mar 08, 2006 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Were Ron and Jenny there? Nice folks!

Welcome aboard! Lots of your fellow countrymen around this site. I'm sure they'll chime in as soon as they find your 'hello'! :D

High regards! Michaelson
Kaleponi Craig
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Kaleponi Craig »

Welcome, AGRo! Glad you found us and congrats on your new lid. Looking forward to seeing pictures of your bash...KC
AGRo
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by AGRo »

G'day :D

Yes, Jenny was who I spoke to first and she got me started trying on the Fed and talking about the colour etc and then I tried on the deluxe and it just felt a bit lighter on my head and I liked the colour better, a nice brown. I might head back up there for a crash course on bashing etc as I tend to learn better in person as opposed to looking at pics on a website. I'll have a crack myself though and see how it goes. I've turned the hat about an inch to the right and it makes the brim look much more 'Indy'. I just have to figure out the off centre pinch and the top as I think they are not in the right place hehe.

Thanks for the welcome!
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Post by binkmeisterRick »

I hope you stick around! This is a great place to be. All you can eat buffet every Tuesday, too! :wink:
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

haohyjbgui

Post by BendingOak »

welcome aboard, don't forget to post pics ( we like pics).
Erri
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Erri »

Welcome pal, i look foward to see the pics aswell :D
J_Weaver
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by J_Weaver »

Yes, welcome AGRo! :D

Bashing a turned hat is indeed a bit tricky, but you'll get the hang of it. :wink:
Swindiana
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Swindiana »

G'day AGRo. Nice to meet you! :)

Like pics?
More or less a demand around here I'd say. ;)

Regards,
Swindiana
Garzo
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Garzo »

Hi there Adam! I just ordered my first fedora too but I have yet to try it on as it's not done yet. I was going to ask how far Katoomba was from Sydney but then I checked on the web and saw it's in the Blue Mtns, not that far. Welcome to the wild, wild world of Club Obi Wan!
AGRo
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by AGRo »

Cheers guys! Yep I actually live in Penrith which is about 1 hour drive to Katoomba in the Blue Mountains. I'm smack bang between Sydney itself and The Hattery up at Katoomba. All these years the shop has been there basically on my doorstep and I never knew about the connection to them and a great Indy hat. Such a small world! :D
IndyTaz
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by IndyTaz »

:D G'day Agro....let me be the first Aussie to welcome you here. It's a great place full of mystery and intrigue :wink:

To coin an old phrase "Come for the gear, stay for the people."

Glad to have you aboard mate. If you need any help post away or PM me I'd be glad to fix you up:)

Warm Regards
IndyTaz
indybill
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by indybill »

IndyTaz wrote:To coin an old phrase "Come for the gear, stay for the people."
Hmmm :-k Where have I heard this before? :P :lol:

Welcome aboard AGRo.

Cheers,
Indybill
Luisiana Jones
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Luisiana Jones »

Glad u join our humble community :)
Hawkangel
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Hawkangel »

Awesome stuff. I'm going to Hatsdirect tomorrow with my wife.
I'm still tossing up between the deluxe Federation or the regular one (money permitting).
JerseyJones
Vendor

Post by JerseyJones »

Hawkangel wrote:Awesome stuff. I'm going to Hatsdirect tomorrow with my wife.
I'm still tossing up between the deluxe Federation or the regular one (money permitting).
Welcome to all new folks. Glad to see you !

And IMHO, money aside, the Regular Fed is nicer....but not as nice as my Camptown hats :wink: shameless plug. Enjoy your Akubra. I love mine !

Peace,
JJ
Canyon
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Canyon »

Hiya AGRo! :)

AGRo
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by AGRo »

Cheers Everyone, wow such a cool welcome. Thanks again.

OK I've taken a pic but how can I display it on the forum? Also, can anyone please help me in regards to adding an avatar to my account? How do I add a pic?
Strider
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Strider »

Well, what I did is start an account at Photobucket, since it was free to use, and can hold over 100 pictures without having to pay a monthly fee. Once you've started an account there, it's easy to upload pictures to your album. Select something you'd like to use for an avatar that meets the requirements found here, and upload it.

Then, open up a separate browser, and come back here. Log in, and click the "Profile" link at the top of the page. Scroll down, and you will see a field marked: "Link to off site avatar". Switch back to your photobucket album, and simply copy the picture's URL (located conviniently underneath your newly uploaded photo), and paste it into the "Link to off site avatar" field in your profile information here, and click submit.

If you want to display a picture of yourself, it's not much different from posting an avatar. Upload the photo at photobucket, and then copy the URL with the Image

=

Hope that helps.
Mola Ram
Vendor

Post by Mola Ram »

Welcome!

Another adam on the board....that makes something like 6 i believe.

Regards!
adam
AGRo
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by AGRo »

Cheers Strider. Alrighty then, here goes....

Merrick
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Merrick »

Welcome from another Aussie, sorry it's a bit late.
GraveRobberGreg
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by GraveRobberGreg »

Welcome to COW>>>>now thats a nice hat :D
AGRo
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by AGRo »

Guys,

I'm goin' nuts over here and need some help. I've looked at a couple of the tutorials and have been trying to follow the Pagey Bash one. My problem is this - how do I bash the hat and avoid the taper that I'm getting? ie how do I do it so that it maintains the boxy look ala RotLA? I have the Fed Deluxe and would appreciate any pointers. If anyone in Oz has successfully done this and doesn't live too far from Sydney, I'd be happy to come to you and learn how best to do it. Cheers peoples! :shock:
AGRo
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by AGRo »

Ah just found the thread that says the Feds are best as LC hats. I sure wish I saw that one before I went and bought a hat. I guess if I want a boxy Raiders hat I will need to save up for an AB. I'm not as familiar with the LC bash, I guess this'll end up being a LC/Raiders hybrid.
Strider
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Strider »

Let me see if I can help ya.

I was wanting to buy an Akubra at one point to make an LC fed out of, but never ended up doing it. I did a lot of looking at the film to get an idea of what I ought to do with it.

Here's one of the better pics I have:

It's from the scene where Indy first meets Donovan. The two white areas are pinch. It gets tight at the top, and relaxes and trails off toward the sides as it goes down toward the ribbon. You can achieve this look by doing the pinch on the side of the hat instead of toward the front. Put your off hand inside the hat, and spread your fingers apart (make the number 2/peace sign), and use that to create the look that you see in the yellow area. As you hold your fingers there, use your good hand to shape the sides of the hat into what you see in the white areas. Might wanna use a little felt stiffener. After that, the brim (what you see in the red box) is really that swoopy. Don't be afraid to push the brim up to get that curve.
AGRo
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by AGRo »

Thanks for this Strider!

I think I understand what you are saying. I have turned my hat already (about 1 inch to my right) so I will have a play with the bash. It tapers a little at the top but now I know that's the hat and not me I feel a bit better about it.

I plan on ordering an AB in the coming weeks. I am heading over to Boston from Oz in June so hope to catch up with any Gear Heads in the area then :D
Australiana Jones
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Australiana Jones »

G'day AGRo, another fellow Aussie
I'm new here too