Akubra Factory Photos

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

Bushman
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Akubra Factory Photos

Post by Bushman »

Here's a link to some interesting Akubra Factory photographs:

http://www4.ncsu.edu/~grhess/photo/Akub ... ctory.html

Bushman
Fedora
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Fedora »

Thank you very much for those pics. Recently on another forum, it was said that Akubra is buying their hats from China. We contacted them, (not I, but a close friend), and were told it was not true. Of course, I never believed it anyways, since Akubra is a National Treasure, or so I have been told. So, if you read it anywhere else, do not believe a word of it. Fedora
Kt Templar
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Kt Templar »

Those are great pics, but kinda throws the fate of all those bunnies and beavers into sharp relief doesn't it? Look after your hats guys!
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Bear in mind that these are wild rabbit hides, which are quite a pest to control in Australia. Personally I'm pleased to see the hides being used from the culled animals. Makes for a MUCH tougher and resilient felt too.

I'd suggest this be moved to the archives so not to be lost.

High regards!

Michaelson
Marc
Vendor

Post by Marc »

Fantastic! Thank you so much for sharing these pictures!!!

Regards,

Marc
Havana
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Havana »

I'm a long time Akubra fan. This photos really give great insight into where these hats come from. Thanks.
Pitfall Harry
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Pitfall Harry »

Man, after seeing some more pics of those hats on here I REALLY wish I would have bought the Fed. Deluxe instead of my "Official Hat". Not that I don't like my hat now. I just think those Akubra hats look and sound so great for the price.

Nice to see the factory and get an insight on how those are made.

PITFALL
Pyroxene
Admin Emeritus

Post by Pyroxene »

Pitfall Harry wrote:Man, after seeing some more pics of those hats on here I REALLY wish I would have bought the Fed. Deluxe instead of my "Official Hat". Not that I don't like my hat now. I just think those Akubra hats look and sound so great for the price.
It's never too late to buy a fed. And, the fed deluxe is the way to go.
Pitfall Harry
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Pitfall Harry »

I plan on buying my Joe Strain Indy Bullwhip for my birthday so I don't have the cash for it now.

I've only had my current hat for a few months now and getting another one so soon that's over $100 would cause trouble with the wife! :)

Maybe I'll be able to sneak one past her this summer. That is if I don't buy a gun first.

PITFALL
The real Henry
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by The real Henry »

I think for a Dorfman it looks very nice! You could bash it to a ToD-style and then you could say it's accurate! :wink:
Pitfall Harry
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Pitfall Harry »

I was thinking that's what most of the "official" hats are styled after was Temple of Doom.

Even though Raider's made a ton of money the major merchandising push of Indiana Jones stuff didn't start to happen until TOD came out and that's when I got my first Indy hat at Penny's for 25 bucks.

I think the Akubra's have the Raider's look I was wanting more than my current hat does even after rebashing it. Plus, their not much more than what I paid for my current hat.

PITFALL
Fedora
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Fedora »

Hey, I love that number 43 block on the bottom shelf!! Wonder which model Akubra uses it? Very Raideresque looking to my eye. Check it out. Fedora

Pyroxene
Admin Emeritus

Post by Pyroxene »

My thoughts exactly. When you see a stovepipe block it just stands out from all the others.
Bushman
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Bushman »

I wonder if that might be the block for the Sombrero? The open-crowned Sombrero has straight sides with a modest dome on the top (not like the Hoss Cartwright tapered model!). The Sombrero also has a seven inch crown.

Please note that these photos are copyrighted by the owner. I don't know if you mean to put the link in the archives or the photos.

How about those metal forms for "final blocking"? No wonder some of the bashed hats are so slow to soften up.

Bushman
Fedora
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Fedora »

You know, the only thing that bothers me about this deal, is Akubra apparently is not using their homeland's wild rabbit fur. Instead, they are buying the rabbit fur from Europe. Australian rabbit fur is considered to be the best in the world, and many hat factories back in the day that were producing the fine rabbit hats were using this fur from Australia. You just have to wonder why!!! Now, I got that info from the subtitles under the pics linked above. Right there in black and white. Since their Heritage line of hats reportedly uses wild hare and wild rabbit, I have to assume that at least some of their fur comes from Australia. Does anyone have any additional info?? I would love to know.

Not too long ago, I read somewhere that if you wanted the best Akubra, to buy one that was made before a certain, recent year. I think it was in the 80's, but can't recall for sure. It seems that there was a change either in the feltmaking, or perhaps the source for rabbit fur, at that time. The hats prior to this year were finer hats. Does anyone have any info on this? Now, this is not intended as a slur toward Akubra, as I love their hats, and am looking to order one fairly soon.(it is the only other hat that I will spend money on) I am just curious. I have seen an older hat, made my Akubra, and sold by Willis Geiger, that was exceptional rabbit felt, and much finer than what I have seen come from them since I have been buying Akubras.

Oh, I just got some info from Marc, regarding Akubra. It seems that a well known equipment company that caters to the hat factories has made the comment that of all of the factories he has visited, a guy name Steve that blends the fur for Akubra is one of the best in the world. You see, it is an artform, this blending of various qualities of fur, and not something that just anyone can do. And Akubra has one of the best. The Portugal company has a guy like Steve, and also Tonak has an good one too. The guy from Tonak while an expert, does not get to use his knowledge due to the lower quality commercial stuff that this company has found its niche in. You get the best inside info from folks that service the hat industry. But, I am rambling. :lol: Fedora
CHAUVEL
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by CHAUVEL »

One thing australia has in excess is wild rabbits, an introduced species and a terrible impact enviromentally. Akubra have always contracted teams of shooters who "spotlight" overnight, and i believe the meat becomes petfood. As for importing hides , if indeed true, this could only be a result of the terrible drought that had the state of new south wales in a terrible way. Severe drought wil impact on the quality of the pelts, so i reckon if akubra has at times imported pelts it was both reluctantly and temporary, late 2005 saw some decent rain again. cheers chauvel
Bushman
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Bushman »

I read some time ago that Rabbit Heamorrhagic Disease was killing off large numbers of the wild Australian rabbit stock, as well as pet rabbits. Althought there are still wild hare in Australia, believe it or not, it became necessary to import hides. I was reminded of this when I saw the caption.

Bushman
Fedora
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Fedora »

I talked to Ron at Hatsdirect about that block shape we talked about here, as well as the tale about Akubra using China for their felt bodies. Here is what he wrote back to me, verbatim. I do not think he would mind me sharing the info. Plus, it gives for a greater appreciation of this fine, and old company. Here it is:

The company is family owned - no corporate mumbo jumbo and economic rationalism has arrived as yet. Our arrangements with Akubra are all done with the shake of a hand, at no time have I felt we needed more. The staff act like part of the family too.

What most do not understand is apart from about 12 styles in a few colors Akubra do not keep stock on the shelf. They consolidate orders for a 30 day period for all styles (60+ x color range) and set about making these hats to order starting at the felting dept. They generally will not commence new orders for another 30 days. Being a large customer we get some latitude on occasion and have had Feds rushed through for instance when we have had a run on a size. Rush usually = 4 - 6 weeks!

They keep their warehousing and inventory costs down this way, and produce in batches.. This cannot be done via China, even if the quality could be maintained. This enables them to produce small lines such as the Fed Deluxe

This is why hat makers in both our countries are able to carve out a living and the likes of big importers such as Dorfman Pacific never really knock them out.

Now to the important stuff - the Harvester, the only way we will see the hat is to order one - apparently they have not made one for months. They have never taken a picture of one - or promoted it. It is a very old style with virtually no market left. I will order one in a 58cm just for the fun of it. Will arrive to me late April, early May - I will compare it to the Fed crown and let you know. (Feel free to remind me around the time!)

So, if you were curious, here it is from someone who is truly in the know. Fedora
Lao Feng
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

China!????

Post by Lao Feng »

Did Ron say China? No kidding they could not do it in China! When they do, I'll "eat my hat" rather than buy it. I travel to China all the danged time. It's amazing, here is a country which in the 1920s, 30s, 40s in Shanghai, Peking, Nanking, Tienstin...you name it...was full of great fedoras...you wear your Fed there now and they laugh and call it a cowboy hat. Oh well. Cheers-- Lao Feng ](*,)
Paul_Stenhouse
Vendor

Post by Paul_Stenhouse »

I'd like to second what Michaelson said about the rabbits. Here in New Zealand, they are pests as well. But then again, so are deer, goats, pigs, Canada Geese (at least in central Otago).

Best Regards,

Paul Stenhouse
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Post by binkmeisterRick »

Canada geese? In New Zealand? Talk about a vacation! :lol: