Whipmakers- In A Rut?

From falls & poppers to plaiting & cracking technique, this section is dedicated in memory of Sergei, IndyGear Staff Member and Whip Guru. Always remember to keep "Celebratin' Life!"

Moderator: BullWhipBorton

ecwhips
Vendor

Whipmakers- In A Rut?

Post by ecwhips »

Hey fellow whipmakers (you know who you are),

Ever get into a complete rut with making a whip? I have a couple of orders to get started on, and I just can't seem to get going. Maybe I've just been burning the candle at both ends between work, my daughter, making whips, my band, etc. But I just can't seem to get moving even though I want to, badly. Frustrating!

Jim
Indiana Texas-girl
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Indiana Texas-girl »

Sounds like me when I tried to embroider my Marion shirt. I got the front done but need to finish the sleeves. I stopped about 3 years ago.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v179/ ... gress9.jpg

I'm sure you'll get out of your funk at some point. In the mean time, enjoy life.
Paul_Stenhouse
Vendor

Post by Paul_Stenhouse »

Hi Jim,

I used to get like that too, and I just leave it be until I was ready. Otherwise, I'd probably be tempted to do a half-### job and just muddle through it. I don't think two extra weeks of waiting ever killed anybody. Besides, all is usually forgiven once the buyer gets the whip in hand.

Has the skin quality come back yet, or any signs of it on the horizon? I thought that's what the topic of your post was referring to, poor skin quality. Now that I think about it, I'm not quite sure how I stumbled on that avenue.

Best Regards,

Paul Stenhouse
midwestwhips
Vendor

Post by midwestwhips »

Hey Jim,

I get like that from time to time, when I end up doing the same type of whip over and over again. I usually take a day and do something I don't usually do like play a video game or something to get my mind off of it. Or sometimes when I work on another whip that I have always wanted to do, that can help me get motivated. Like a really fancy whip, or a challenging high plait number whip. Either way it comes and goes, and you'll find ways to deal with it. Or just make up a couple hundred poppers and suddenly you'll really rather be working on the actual whip, :-).

Hey also, this just popped into my head the other day, but was it you or Jace that had gotten that pair of tan bullwhips from murphy at the vegas convention in 02'? The ones that he used in his No Bull whip cracking video. I was looking for some pics of those whips on the net but couldn't find any. Do you happen to have any pics of them?

I hope you get outta the rut soon.

Regards,

Paul Nolan
MidWestWhips
ecwhips
Vendor

Post by ecwhips »

Paul(Stenhouse),

The skins are definitel better than they have been in quite some time. However, they still tend to be on the small side. From what I hear from people who know better than I do, that it may still be a couple of years before they completely return to form.

Paul (Nolan),

That was me who got that pair of whips from Mike that he used in the video. Man, they were sweet!

Jim
midwestwhips
Vendor

Post by midwestwhips »

Jim,

Those whips were sweet, do you still have them? Or do you have any pictures of them?

Regards,

Paul Nolan
MidWestWhips
ecwhips
Vendor

Post by ecwhips »

midwestwhips wrote:Jim,

Those whips were sweet, do you still have them? Or do you have any pictures of them?

Regards,

Paul Nolan
MidWestWhips
No, I wish I did. Thoser were a couple that I sold when I was out of work for a while. I do have some pictures that I'll have to dig up later, and I have some video of myself using them when I was on TV a few years ago. I'll post pics when I get home tonight.

Jim
ecwhips
Vendor

Post by ecwhips »

Hey Paul,

Are you in NZ yet?

Jim
Paul_Stenhouse
Vendor

Post by Paul_Stenhouse »

Hi Jim,

Yep, I'm here in good ol' Dunedin. Home of Speights beer and Cadbury chocolates. If you've got a GPS at home, plug the coordinates in my signature line into it and see how far it is!

I'm in a rental home, with no good place to make whips just yet, but if the skins aren't what they were 4-5 years ago, I can't get too excited about doing it. Stockwhips in cowhide may be a different matter altogether. I'm looking into the market here for them.

Best Regards,

Paul Stenhouse
ecwhips
Vendor

Post by ecwhips »

Paul_Stenhouse wrote:Hi Jim,

Yep, I'm here in good ol' Dunedin. Home of Speights beer and Cadbury chocolates.

Best Regards,

Paul Stenhouse
I wish there was a big drooling emoticon to show my envy of you right now!

Best of luck!
Jim
Paul_Stenhouse
Vendor

Post by Paul_Stenhouse »

Thanks, Jim, that's nice of you to say.

It's good....It's really good! Although vegemite is as #### as I thought it was!

Best Regards,

Paul Stenhouse