Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

Havana
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Wested weight question

Post by Havana »

Hello Everyone,
Just a quick question here for those who know. How would you rate Wested's leather offerings in terms of actual weight? In other words, given identical pattern jackets made in each of Wested's leathers, rank them from lightest to heaviest. I would appreciate it also if you could point out if the weight differences are slight or significant. Thanks for your input as always.
GunstarBlue
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by GunstarBlue »

I only own the Lamb and the Horsehide, and I would say that the Horse is significantly heavier than the Lamb. So much so that when you get used to wearing the horsehide the lamb feels like a windbreaker when you put it on again. The HH isn't so much thicker as it is much more dense than the lamb.

I'm sure you've guessed as much just from common sense, but I hoped I helped a bit anyway.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

In order of light to heavy:

lambskin
goatskin
cowhide,
followed quickly by horsehide.

Regards! Michaelson
Ken
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by Ken »

I am sure this has been addressed before. I dont know enough about leather to be accurate but my guess is that Horse would be the heaviest followed by Cow then goat and finally lamb.

It all depends on the batch as well. I have a goat which is the same thickness as someone else's lamb.

Ken
Havana
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Havana »

Thanks Gunstarblue. That is helpful. Naturally, we could assume that horse would be heavier but the fact that you think Wested's horse isf pretty heavy tells me a lot. I've tried on some horsehide jackets of different jacket types and found some that were moderate and others that were quite heavy. Of course, these are all very relative terms but I trust Gearheads' judgement.

Also, in some discussions regarding A-2's, I have heard the claim that goatskin, even though much tougher, was actually lighter than lamb. I was wondering if this was true of Wested's offerings? Also, would you guys say that the steerhide is signicantly heavier than the goat? I know this sounds like spitting hairs but here in the hot and humid south every ounce counts when it comes to wearability.
Last edited by Havana on Fri Dec 02, 2005 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kt Templar
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Kt Templar »

Michaelson wrote:In order of light to heavy:

lambskin
goatskin
cowhide,
followed quickly by horsehide.

Regards! Michaelson
That's interesting! I've seen Indiana Dudley's cow hide and thought it pretty sturdy and if the horse is more so then it's too heavy for my needs!

And I was vacillating between goat and horse! :shock:
Hemingway Jones
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Hemingway Jones »

I spoke with Peter about his current batch of Horsehide at the QM. I was asking him which hide I should get for my next jacket and he said that the horsehide he has now is amazing. I'm not sure how it compares with his previous offerings, but, if someone has bought one recently, I would ask them. I'm sure I'll post pictures and comments on mine when it comes in, in about two weeks or so.
GunstarBlue
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by GunstarBlue »

I ordered my Horsehide in August of this year and I really like it. It's a chocolate brown as opposed to the more russet looking brown of the earlier horsehide I've seen on this site. It's quite heavy (very dense, not too thick) and it feels really stiff initially, but breaks in wonderfully.

If you're concerned about it being too hot, I live in the desert and don't get cold easily and I still wear it often. I highly recommend it.

Keep in mind, though, I don't have the goat or the cowhide. I'm sure those are wonderful leathers also.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Sorry I couldn't help you Havana. :?

Glad I could help YOU, KT. I've HAVE owned all BUT the horsehide in the Wested list, but HAVE owned a horsehide by another manufacturer, and it was as heavy as my cowhide and then NEW finish cowhide by Wested. New finish is cowhide is no longer offered. Great material for cold weather areas, but way to heavy for me.

Regards! Michaelson
Hemingway Jones
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Hemingway Jones »

Michaelson wrote:Sorry I couldn't help you Havana. :?

Glad I could help YOU, KT. I've HAVE owned all BUT the horsehide in the Wested list, but HAVE owned a horsehide by another manufacturer, and it was as heavy as my cowhide and then NEW finish cowhide by Wested. New finish is cowhide is no longer offered. Great material for cold weather areas, but way to heavy for me.

Regards! Michaelson
Have you ever had a pre-distressed cowhide jacket by Wested? And, if so, how does that fit in Michaelson's Law of Natural Distressing?

I am finding this all rather distressing!
Havana
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Havana »

Michaelson, your comments were helpful. If you've owed all the Westeds (save the horsehide), I'll say that gives you some authority on the subject. The fact that you listed the goat as heavier than lamb definitely registered with me. I'm just trying to find out all I can and hopefully avoid some costly trial and error before ordering. I appreciate everyone's input. It's actually very refreshing to converse with people who know what they're talking about.
Doh
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Doh »

Havana wrote:I know this sounds like spitting hairs but here in the hot and humid south every ounce counts when it comes to wearability.
This being the case, I would only consider the lamb. When I got mine, the package was so light I thought maybe they sent me the cloth version by mistake. The lamb is very lightweight.

I've not seen the other hides, but lamb is a GREAT fall jacket. Here in sunny L.A., I got a little warm wearing it starting at around 70 degrees, but when it's overcast it's fine.
Bjones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Bjones »

The horsehide and cowhide is probably too heavy for South Carolina during all but the coldest months. I wear my wested horsehide comfortably from 35F to 65F. On the warmer end of that I would only wear a T-shirt or light dress shirt under it, and on the colder end a heavier long sleeve shirt or light sweater does the trick. I have been wearing it lately in sub feezing weather, and it doesn't hold up very well in that cold. But that's to be expected with only the cotton lining and no insulation.
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Here in south central Tennessee, right against the Alabama/Georgia/Mississippi borders, I wear goatskin with cotton lining...then switch to my cloth Wested as the temps and humidity rise.

Regards! Michaelson
GunstarBlue
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by GunstarBlue »

Hmm... right. I forgot that you guys actually have water. :wink: The horsehide is great when it's cold here, and tolerable when it's not quite so cold, but in any case we don't have nearly as much humidity. Right now it's dry and windy in the high 60's and the horsehide is fine. Unless, of course, you like to stand in the sun for a long time.... In high humidity, though, you might be pushing it with anything heavier than goat or lamb.