REVIEW: Magnoli Shirt (With Pics)

Bags, Boots, Shirts and all other gear should be discussed here.

Moderators: Mike, Cajunkraut, Tennessee Smith

Did this review help you at all?

Yes
100%
No
No votes

Total votes: 17

McFly
Scoundrel

REVIEW: Magnoli Shirt (With Pics)

Post by McFly »

Okay, I'm going to do this review Schwammy-Style. There's 11 categories, taken from his review of the Wested shirt, only I can't compare the Wested with the MBA, just the Cabela's with the Magnoli. Of course we know which one wins, but let me tell you why. Pics are in links.

1. Color. The color on this shirt is much different than the color of a Cabela's shirt. The Cabela's shirt is a sort of brownish pink compared to the Magnoli shirt. Mine is the color "stone," and I like it a lot. It's much better than the Cabela's, and looks good with the rest of the gear, it has a nice contrast, which you can see in photos of me at the QM on SATURDAY. Friday pics are me with a Cabela's shirt. Please NOTE that the color in the photo here was probably one of the best depictions of the color you'll see in my entire review. Magnoli's shots on the original thread are also very good.

2. Fit. This is 99% the reason I bought this shirt. The Cabela's shirt, coming only in off-the-rack sizes, tends to parachute out behind me, making me look akward in photos and the like. The sleeves were a little long and the collar was a little small. The Magnoli shirt however, being custom, fits wonderfully, according to how you want him to make it. Like he's said, he can make it fit looser, or tighter, whichever you prefer. I asked for mine "fitting." The collar is also a very nice size, and a tie can be worn comfortably with it, and without the collar scrunching up like they will if the collar is too small (my Cabela's does that).

3. Fabric. The Magnoli shirt is 100% Cotton Twill. The Cabela's is 65% Polyester and only 35% cotton. To me, this makes a huge difference in terms of comfort. If you own the Cabela's, you know that it's not exactly what you'd call soft, and during the first few days, might irritate/chafe your skin until after you wash it a few times, or wear something underneath. From the get-go, the Magnoli shirt was comfortable and didn't bother me at all. After putting it through the wash, (no size changes or noticable shrinkage, if any) there were no MAJOR changes in terms of softness, but it got less stiff and the collar didn't point out as much. Either way, very comfortable shirt. Does NOT feel like a costume.

4. Pleats. The pleats on the Magnoli shirt, though double stitched, run all the way up to the epaulettes and down to the bottom of the shirt, just like they should, and not like the Cabela's which are just on the pockets.They haven't wrinkled/puckered from being washed so far. It's in the washer right now, actually...

5. Pockets. These pockets are nice because they are proportional to the rest of the shirt. What I mean is, unlike the Cabela's shirt, whose pockets are quite large, these pockets are smaller according to how small your shirt is! The corners are squared off, and the flap is now less scalloped than before.

6. Pen pocket. Apparently similar to the Wested pockets and Cabela's pockets, and yet different than the MBA pocket, the pen pocket is hidden, with no stitching coming down the pocket outlining where the pen should be, and the pen can go through the pocket flap, allowing your pocket to remain closed.

7. Button color. The buttons on my shirt are supposedly not final, so pay little to no attention to these. Also, the thread that is used to attach them was not on purpose, Mangoli told me he didn't know why it showed up in this orangey color. I plan to change them when Magnoli finds some better ones and either sells me some or sends me some. :wink:

8. Button placement. Like some dress shirts, there are extra, small buttons near each cuff, which can be unbuttoned to make it easier to roll up one's sleeves. The size of this button is perfect for making this job an easy task, unlike some larger buttons which you have to fight with to un-do.

9. Epaulettes. The epaulettes, I think, are just a little better than the Cabelas' ones. Although the tip of the epaulettes are squared off instead of pointed, which is good, they are attached to the rest of the shirt in an odd manner, sort of coming out from underneath the stitching attatching the shirt body to the sleeve, and curving up to go up to the button. I don't think I can see that happening in the Cairo scenes (see this shot), but it doesn't bother me too much. The Cabela's shirt does do a similar thing, but appears to have an extra stitch holding down the epaulette so it doesn't pop up like this one does. 9 points anyway, for an otherwise great job.

10. Shirt tail. The shirt tail is cut in a round way, similar in shape to the tails of an average modern-day dress shirt, not pointy or funny, and has never come accidentally untucked on me. I've never tried the SoC look, but I imagine it should work fine.

11. Label. No itchy feeling from this label! It doesn't flap around and scratch your back, and it's not as monstrous and distracting ( :wink: ) as the Cabela's shirt.

2 more pictures to demonstrate the fit. These were taken the day I recieved the shirt, and after ONE trip through the wash.

In conclusion, I really, really like this shirt; not just as an Indy shirt but as an every-day shirt. It's quickly becoming my favorite shirt, and in fact, I think I'll wear it to Thanksgiving dinner tonight.

In Christ,
Shane
Darth V.A.D.E.R
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Darth V.A.D.E.R »

Great review,great shirt :tup:
Regards
Darth
Swindiana
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Swindiana »

Great fit! I want one! :D

Thanks for sharing, McFly!

Regards,
Swindiana
Canyon
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Canyon »

Shane, thanks for posting that review. It was extremely helpful.

The shirt looks great on you, my friend. :wink: :P
Last Crusader
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Last Crusader »

Wow, you´re really looking smart in this shirt. Thanks for that great review. Time for a new shirt I think.
J_Weaver
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by J_Weaver »

Great review! A shirt and a pair of pants are very tempting! :)
Hemingway Jones
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Hemingway Jones »

I agree. Well done, Shane; a most comprehensive review, though the pictures speak volumes. It looks great on you. Magnoli has an awesome product. Thanks for your review.
McFly
Scoundrel

Post by McFly »

Thanks for the compliments! I'm glad that this review helped! I didn't think I'd ever get around to doing it... I've been very busy lately.

Again, thanks for the compliments, and glad it helped!

In Christ,
Shane
Indiana Williams
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Indiana Williams »

That is one swell lookin shirt you got there, Shane :wink: Were you wearing that shirt when we were whip cracking on Saturday? If so, I cant believe I didnt notice it.I too experience the "parachute" effect when I wear my Cabelas shirt. so I think I will go with one of Magnoli's shirts insted of a Wested cause of the its custom fit.
Best Regards,
Joe
Strider
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Strider »

Shane,

Thank you for the comprehensive review. Aren't you among the first to recieve custom Magnoli clothes? After reading your thoughts, it definetely seems to me as if Magnoli is shaping up to be one of the heavyweight contenders, Indy clothing wise. Like he could stand close to, or side by side with Wested. It's always great when we get new vendors who can share a quality product with us.

Question: I really feel like the Cabela's shirt is something you would wear in cold weather to keep warm with. For some reason, the shirt just feels hot to me. Does the Magnoli shirt feel hot when you're wearing it? Can you elaborate on this, please?

Thanks again.
McFly
Scoundrel

Post by McFly »

Williams - indeed it was! All day Satuday I wore it.

Strider - The shirt isn't hot, and it isn't too thin to wear in the cold, though it wouldn't exactly keep you cozy. I think you could wear it in 70*F weather without suffering, and then under that you'd have to have at least a t-shirt underneath and a Wested over it, plus a nice Mystery of the Blues scarf. :wink: Lemme go outside real quick and let you know. Right now it's supposedly 59* F . . . Okay, this is how dedicated, or maybe crazy, I am. I stood out there for 10 minutes, wearing the shirt, some khakis, socks and shoes, and my Akubra. After about 6 minutes I started to get chilly. By 10 minutes I was cold, but not so bad that I couldn't handle it.

So there you have it. When I wear it, without any extra layers, and with no cotton Wested, this shirt will last 6 minutes in 59 degree temperatures, with no wind, before I start getting cold.

:wink:

In Christ,
Shane

"Just put it in the freezer and tell them it made it!" - My mother
Pitfall Harry
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Pitfall Harry »

I was just wondering how you could compare the Cabela's shirt to the custom made one?

I don't think Cabela's set out to make screen accurate Indiana Jones shirt. It's just a safari they offer that looks close to his.

Don't get me wrong I think the Magnoli and the Wested shirts look great but they were designed to copy the Indy shirt so wouldn't it be more reasonable to compare those types of shirts to each other?

I own the Cabelas shirt and for the price I think it's a good shirt. I do agree with the points Indy Mcfly brought up about the shirt but for me it's very minor. I haven't had a good chance to wear it during the summer because I just got it recently.

The whole thing about the shirt thing though is if your wearing your leather jacket no one can really tell that it's an Indy shirt or not. You could wear a regular off color white dress shirt and the avarage person is still going to think you look like Indy.

Pitfall
McFly
Scoundrel

Post by McFly »

I was comparing those two because those are the only two I own... :?

Also, this way if you own a Cabela's, you'll know what I'm talking about when I talk about comfort and all that in comparison to the Magnoli.

For the most part, when I'm comparing those two, I'm not comparing them as Indy shirts, I'm comparing them only as shirts, period. When I say something like, "The Magnoli is more accurate because of ____ ," then if you own a Cabela's, you can look at it and see what I'm talking about, and where there's a difference.

Point in case, we all know the Magnoli is a better Indy shirt - there's no doubt about that, because Magnoli is trying to make an Indy shirt, but I'm saying why, and I'm showing why I think it's a bet all-around shirt than a Cabela's.

In Christ,
Shane
Rusty Jones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist
Location: Raleigh, NC, Running from the Havitos (my (ex)girlfriends' parents)

Post by Rusty Jones »

Great shirt reviews McFly! I'd like to see a Magnoli vs Wested review

(Hopefully I can do one if I get the cash to pick up a Magnoli, they sound great and look greater!)
J_Weaver
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by J_Weaver »

Indiana Williams wrote:I too experience the "parachute" effect when I wear my Cabelas shirt. so I think I will go with one of Magnoli's shirts insted of a Wested cause of the its custom fit.
You guys aren't alone. If I order a shirt that fits in the shoulders I have about a mile of extra material around the waist. The problem with being fairly fit in modern America is that you can't get clothes to fit. :roll: Its great to see Magnoli stepping up to the plate to fix this. :tup:
Pitfall Harry
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Pitfall Harry »

I wear a large and the Cabela's shirt does seem to balloon out kind of around my mid-section. It makes me look like I have a beer gut if I don't keep it tucked in right.

I figure though after a few times through the wash it will shrink some. That's what all of my shirts do.

That's about the only gripe I have with that shirt.

Pitfall
McFly
Scoundrel

Post by McFly »

Remember Tone, you can specify that you want a looser fitting shirt if you want!

In Christ,
Shane
Andiana
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: Southern California - The home of my 'home away from home'...Disneyland...

Post by Andiana »

So does this mean goodbye Cabelas shirt? :P
I agree, the Cabelas is NO summer shirt! This one looks like it would be more comfortable to wear in warmer weather.

Looks great on you pal! I might consider gettin one of these now!

...butthead... (sorry, had to put in that reference)
Jim
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Jim »

That's funny. The way ya'll are describing the Cabela's fit is the way I feel about the LL Bean. I thought the Cabela's had a better fit around the mid section and I've got a 33 inch waist.
The problem I have with off the rack shirts is in the neck. I rarely wear a tie, but when I do, I have to wear a shirt that's huge in the shoulders and chest, because I've got an unusually thick neck.

I really like the look of the Magnoli shirt. I would like a shirt that fit in the neck, shoulders, waist and sleeves for a change. You think that's possible with this shirt?

Shane, I have a question...Are those LC buttons in the pics you submitted? They look darker than the material.
Jim
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Jim »

Nevermind...I overlooked #7 on yout list :oops: . I do kinda like the color, though.
Prof. Ed
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Prof. Ed »

Great review. I think that you helped me make up my mind when it is time to purchase a shirt :D
The real Henry
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by The real Henry »

:shock: !!!!!!!!!!!!! That looks just great! If I can make anyhow I will buy one of those! I especially like the fit of the sleeves! =P~