Is my jacket Authentic Brown color?

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

Doug C
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Is my jacket Authentic Brown color?

Post by Doug C »

I was told this jacket was Authentic Brown when I got it around a month ago. the jacket was new but purchased from an individual through ebay. Even though he told me it was authentic brown I convinced myself it was dark brown because it would not get really bright even in sunshine. Now I'm back to thinking it probably is authentic brown just like I was told. What do you all think from this picture?

http://img453.imageshack.us/my.php?imag ... t018us.jpg

Doug C
IllinoisJones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by IllinoisJones »

Definately authentic. Illinois
LeatherneckJones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by LeatherneckJones »

Oh yeah... authentic brown it is... dark brown is almost the same color as a cup of coffee, sans cream and sugar... nice jacket, by the way!
Skippy
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: Riding the Mongolian steppes......or London, England.

Post by Skippy »

Authentic.

Looks like an old style jacket too. Does it have the leather facing around the zip area, because it doesn't seem to around the collar from that pic.

Nice looking jacket :)
Feraud
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Feraud »

Looks like it to me.
Here is my authentic brown lambskin behind the Wested pants.
Your jacket looks the same.
Flattery
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Flattery »

Authentic for sure.
Kt Templar
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Kt Templar »

Ok, I'm going to throw a small spanner in the works. Are we sure , considering the vintage of the jacket due to the cotton collar facing, that this is not a pre-authentic (seal?) brown?

I must admit it does look like an authentic, anyway, definately not a dark brown!

Also the side straps appear to be backwards pointing. Can we have a close up of the straps please?
Skippy
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Skippy »

Think the side straps may be coming out of sliders & it's just the way their lying.

But look at the bottom of the pockets...seem like quite rounded corners.
Doug C
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Doug C »

Yes, well like I've mentioned before this jacket was absolutely brand new when I got it about a month ago but the owner told me it had never been worn because he ordered the wrong size and never sent it back. Never could get an answer on just how long he had it though before putting it on ebay. He stated that it is authentic brown, but if it's an earlier model it could be darker than the current authentic brown, right..? I think that may be the situation. There is no facing behind the zippers (which I really like btw), no british flag, non-US zip, D rings (I've looped the straps through backwards), it's Lambskin

Here's a couple more pics:

http://img493.imageshack.us/my.php?imag ... t028kp.jpg

http://img493.imageshack.us/my.php?imag ... t034aj.jpg

Terrible shot of the side-
http://img493.imageshack.us/my.php?imag ... t076fl.jpg

Lokking like Authentic-
http://img493.imageshack.us/my.php?imag ... t054du.jpg

Looking like a dark brown -
http://img493.imageshack.us/my.php?imag ... t067te.jpg

Doug C
Feraud
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Feraud »

Doug C wrote:Looking like a dark brown -
http://img493.imageshack.us/my.php?imag ... t067te.jpg
I could not judge anything by this shot, the whole picture is dark! :)

The other pics look like the authentic brown color.
Doug C
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Doug C »

The Mirror pictures look like Dark brown IMO too. Well, there I go again - I haven't actually seen a dark brown Wested in person.

Doug C
J_Weaver
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by J_Weaver »

It looks authentic to me. The thing about the authentic brown is that it "changes" colors in various lighting.

Kinda OT, but: Its been really wet here for about the last 2 weeks. In the process of going to and from my classes I usually walk around a 1.5 miles a day. My point is that me and my Authentic brown goat have spent quite a bit of time in rain and snow in the last couple of weeks. It seems like over this period my jacket has lost most of what little shine it had and it seems like its color doesn't transition as much as before in changing light. More of a consistent dull dark brown. I've had my jacket for a year now, but this is the first time I've actually spent quite a bit of time in the rain and snow. Are my eyes playing tricks on me or has anyone else noticed similar effects with their jacket? :-k
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

With the constant use of your jacket, as well as it's regular exposure to rain, the underlying level of the hide is not showing through as much with use, as it's now getting (and don't take this wrong) 'dirty', and the highlights just will not show up as much.

Think of how a distresed jacket looks. The lighter looking sections are the parts where the lower level is showing through after the top layer has been worn. This also occurs with natural 'distessing', or just plain regular use. When that lighter level begins to accumlate dirt from regular use, the jacket appears darker and darker, as there is nothing to separate the dirt from the remaining top surface when light hits the jacket.

Unless you used a dressing shortly after receiving the jacket to help keep the jacket sealed, this is a pretty standard occurance as a jacket ages...regardless of type of hide.

Hope this made some sense. :?

Regards! Michaelson
Skippy
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Skippy »

Yep, nice jacket. I think those are 'sliders', not D-rings.

You'll be please to hear the shoulder seam position is more acturate to the Raiders jacket that the current pattern of Wested jackets :D

As for being dark brown, look at my avatar. That is a authentic brown jacket :wink:

Nice fit & length Doug :) What size is that?
Kt Templar
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Kt Templar »

I like the proportion of the shoulders in the older jackets. And it fits you very well with no ride up at the front :tup:

I must be dumb because I can't work out how to thread the straps to look like they point backwards, weird thing is even pointing forwards they tend to bend back!

I also think the cotton inner on the collar somehow make the collar shape look more like the original. Looking at the screen used ones that have turned up here and there. It's not it's not too practical cos they wore through... so no asking Peter for this as an option guys!
Doug C
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Doug C »

Yep, nice jacket. I think those are 'sliders', not D-rings.

No, they are D rings that I have turn around, and they work much better. I really love this jacket but have been wanting a TofD jacket and have just bought the one Deval has for sale. I am putting this one in the classifieds now.

Doug C[/quote]
J_Weaver
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by J_Weaver »

Indiana_Tone wrote:J_Weaver, it might just be the weather conditions you're in up there that are making the coat look kinda blahze brown. Not sure what's causing that. How's it look in direct sunlight out there? IF you've seen any yet. :D
Sunlight? Whats sunlight? :? :wink: Yea, it definitely lightens up in direct sunlight just like all the authentic brown. I think its just that the rain has helped to remove the shine that goatskin has. Anywho, what ever it its I like it. :wink:
zeus36
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by zeus36 »

So would this be a Raiders version with the 80's fit?
Shawnkara
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Shawnkara »

That's an older Wested. It has the shallow pleats and the side straps (not facing backward, by the way) are sewn under the rear panel as opped to being on the face. And as Mentioned, it has the older correct sleeve/yoke seam alignment.
As far as it being "authentic brown" I don't know. I do recall Wested offering "seal brown" back in those days, but I think the description "authentic brown" is a term Wested has adopted fairly recently.
Have you done any distressing to it? If not I would have to dispute the claim that it was never worn. The creasing of the sleeves and the small, subtle creases typical of the hide as it ages are appearant in the pockets.

SKIPPY...
I got my most recent Wested about two months ago. It has the old, accurate seam alignment. Looks like Wested has gone back to it.
Captain D
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Captain D »

I agree Shawnkara, the seam placements are screen accurate for the Raiders look. And, the strap configuration is the older (almost pre-mod) placement....

I'm glad to hear that Wested went back to raising the back seam 1'' inch higher than the arm-sleeve seam for the Raiders jacket. However, is this standard now for all of their jackets (Raiders + ToD, n' LC)?

It seems that this "should" come standard for the "Raiders" style jacket, but not for the "Temple" or the "Last Crusade" jackets....

Kind Regards,
Captain D
Shawnkara
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Shawnkara »

I would have to say it's standard. I made NO special requests on this one. In fact, I bought it "off the rack" from Wested on ebay. You really can't get much more standard than that :lol:
Indiana Texas-girl
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Indiana Texas-girl »

What type of leather is that? Something about it reminds me of my predistressed cowhide jacket.
Skippy
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Skippy »

Shawnkara that is VERY interesting about the shoulder seam on your jacket :D Although I agree with Captain D that it shouldn't be standard for anything but a Raiders jacket :-k

Shawnkara - Can you post pics of your jacket?
I have to say, although this may have been a recent purchase from Wested through eBay, does not mean that the jacket could not have been some very old stock that Peter was looking to clear out. That said, it does sound like you've got a very nice jacket :P

So who has received a made to measure Raiders jacket in the last few weeks?
& where is your seam compared to Doug's jacket?