Dig Leader

Post by Zach R. »

And usually chevon is more expensive than beef. :P
J_Weaver
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by J_Weaver »

:lol:

All jokes aside Henry, goat is just as tough, if not tougher, but also lighter. Since its lighter, it drapes better. Goat is also quite water repellent.
zeus36
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by zeus36 »

Indykid89 wrote:one goes BAaAaA and the other goes MoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOo :wink:

Perfect !!

I'm still laughing!! :lol:
Kt Templar
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Kt Templar »

Yes, the goat is good for those steep rocky mountain trails, whilst the cow is better for those wide open fields. However, the distressed cow can come to bit on any sort of terrain! :lol:
Indiana Texas-girl
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Indiana Texas-girl »

Personally for me, the cow seems to be heavier in weight. What I like about the goat is that it keeps me warm if it's really cold outside but when it's mildly cold, it still feels great and I don't get too overheated. Whereas, the predistressed cow I'd be burning up if it was mildily cold.
The real Henry
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by The real Henry »

Thanks ITG that's what i wanted to know!
Captain D
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Captain D »

Indiana-Texas-Girl is right.

I had owned a dark-brown cowhide once before, she's a nice jacket/coat but you can probably only wear it in really cold temperatures. For example, I wore mine to Gettysburg on a day that was about 60-65 degrees. A nice day for a jacket. However, within a short period of time of walking, and hiking around, the cowhide simply became too hot to wear.

I wear my Goatskin jacket in most all weather conditions and temperatures. Goat is the way to go in my opinion, and as J_Weaver already stated, it's quite a water repelling leather.

Best wishes on your decision!
Kind Regards,
Captain D
Jens
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by Jens »

Henry, I have a Goatskin jacket, too. I wear it the whole year. It's great in spring and fall, and with a sweatshirt or something similar you could also wear it in winter.

The goat is a very durable, but light leather. Sure, it's heavier than lamb (a lot heavier!), but it's not as thick as cow (and not as heavy). BUT: also as durable!

So, I would go with the goat ...

Regards,
-- Jens
IndyK
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Re: G or C ?

Post by IndyK »

The real Henry wrote:I know the difference between Goat and Lamb, but about Goat and Cow? :-k
My first Wested was a cow and I liked it a lot, living up here in the cold scandinavia. It was very, very durable and would probably stand up to any real-life Indy - should he exist. But after a couple of years I decided to get a goat instead for the following reasons:

The cow is very, very heavy compared to goat.
The cow did not drape very well. In fact I'd say it didn't drape at all.
When the cow "broke in" the hide right under the surface was very light and IMO it looked as paint being peeled up in flakes.

The cow was by no means a bad jacket. It just didn't look very Indysque when distressed IMO.

I'm thinking of a lamb now to distress to get the mat finish look from Raiders. Beside the durability, can anyone tell me the difference between goat and lamb?

Cheers
Ken
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by Ken »

Here are pictures of pre-distressed cow and goat. I think the major differences = color and weight.

COW:

GOAT:

Ken
The real Henry
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by The real Henry »

Ok, pics are telling more than thousand words! If I'd ever have the money(I hope next year! [-o< ) I'll undouptly take a goat !
IndyK
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by IndyK »

Indiana Ken wrote:Here are pictures of pre-distressed cow and goat. I think the major differences = color and weight.
Is that cow predistressed from Wested or have You done it Yourself?

Can anyone tell me if there is any difference in the feel of the surface of goat and lamb? In Raiders the jacket seems like it has a mat finish but that could very well be from the distressing made by the costumepeople. But is the lamb better suited than the goat for getting this look?

Cheers
Ken
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by Ken »

Pre-distressed by Wested.

Ken
Doug C
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Doug C »

IndyK, I also wanted to know a little more about the differnce between goat and Lamb (besides durablity). I started a thread that didn't get much attention "Lamb vs. Goat - diff in texture" or something like that. Well, I ended up getting a Lambskin and I can describe it a little bit for you. The Lamb is very soft (of course) but what I didn't expect is that it feels very "spongey". That's the only word i can think of to give an idea of the feel. Also, it's so light that it feels "fluffy". OK, the Lamb is "spongey and fluffy" when you first get it..I know that probably sounds funny but I think those words are pretty accurate in discribing a new Lambskin Wested. As for the texture of the surface, the grain is very small in most places but looks like it will age pretty nicely.

Doug C
Doug C
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Doug C »

BTW, I'm a big fan of the Lambskin for these reasons, but I'll probably have to have a goat someday - just because.

Doug C
Ken
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by Ken »

I like the goat. It can be almost as lightweight as the lamb in terms of drape but it is heavier. It has a more shiny texture initially (though after distressing or treatuing this disappears).

I prefer the goat to the lamb - its more durable.

Ken
Feraud
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Feraud »

Did anyone mention the difference/similarites between the drape of goat and lamb?
Indiana Ken - did you say goat drapes the same as lamb?

Thanks.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Once it loosens up, goat will drape as well as lambskin. Regards! Michaelson
Indiana Jerry
Scoundrel
Location: DBSSWWD ~ "This is how we say goodbye to MIMES in Germany!"

Post by Indiana Jerry »

Doug C wrote:OK, the Lamb is "spongey and fluffy" when you first get it..I know that probably sounds funny but I think those words are pretty accurate in discribing a new Lambskin Wested.
You're right, THAT'S FUNNY. :lol: Are you sure you didn't get Spam, instead of Lamb?

I don't think I'd call my spongey and fluffy...but maybe having a goat in one hand and a lamb in the other (don't even think it, Bink), maybe I'd see your point.

Just having the lamb, and comparing that to other pre-D cowhides I've got here, mostly I'd just it's SMOOTHER. Yeah, not very helpful, am I? It is lighter, and I mean mass-/weight-wise.

J
Captain D
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Captain D »

Michaelson wrote:Once it loosens up, goat will drape as well as lambskin. Regards! Michaelson
That's right! I have a Goatskin Indy jacket, from Flightsuits, that actually feels remarkably similar to a Lambskin jacket! Goat is awesome!

Kind Regards,
Captain D
IllinoisJones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by IllinoisJones »

I went with goat for multiple reasos, but the most prominent being that my wife has a cowhide jacket, and it is so stiff all the time, no matter what I do to it, softener, beatting it, nothing works, and if not treated regularly, it starts to peel. It is also very heavy. ILLinois.
WConly
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by WConly »

If it were up to 'one jacket', I would go with the horsehide. I have one horsehide, one cow (pre-distressed) two lambs and one goat. Love them all, but the horsehide is my favorite. Seems to work in most conditions and it has had a lot of wear, including being under severe rain conditions this past March in Texas.....so, for me -- it is with out question, the horsehide. Plus it is distressing, naturally, on it's own and looks great! Just my $ .02! W>
Mr. Jones
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Mr. Jones »

I have a Orvis lamb jacket, not doubt its the softest and feels great. Its kind of wrinkly with a lot of character. Does absorb water and shows stains, can be cut easily. Ages quickly.

My goat FS is almost as soft but the surface is slicker and with a uniform small grain. Holds up well against water, doesnt show any stains/marks from normal use. Looks brand new after two years. Very strong material.

Cow which I have had a lot of jackets is the cheapest. Will last a while but from my experience will look beat down after a while (maybe thats a good thing here?). It sort of absorbs water but not like a lamb skin. The least flexible. Normally doesnt show stains but does get marked up if you rub against something.

Never had the pleasure of wearing a horse.

You may want to go and try on jackets at a local store so you can compare different leathers.

If I were to have only one jacket (horrible thought) it would be goat.
IndyK
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by IndyK »

Doug C wrote:IndyK, I also wanted to know a little more about the differnce between goat and Lamb (besides durablity). I started a thread that didn't get much attention "Lamb vs. Goat - diff in texture"
It seems to me most people here has an opinion about personal preference in hides, and thanks for that. But I would also like to hear the difference in G & L explained from someone who has distressed both.
Having now owned a cow and being the current owner of a goat I realize, that as much as I love my goat (thats the jacket folks...), it doesn't look like Harrisons in Raiders. My next step will be getting a lamb and try to distress it to get the exact screenlook. If possible...

Cheers