WHIP CRACKING IN THE CHICAGO AREA

From falls & poppers to plaiting & cracking technique, this section is dedicated in memory of Sergei, IndyGear Staff Member and Whip Guru. Always remember to keep "Celebratin' Life!"

Moderator: BullWhipBorton

Canasta
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

WHIP CRACKING IN THE CHICAGO AREA

Post by Canasta »

Hi guys and gals.
I have an idea.

I, as well as Paul Nolan and Adam Winrich have been taking part in the St. Louis Area Whip-Nic (more info at www.thewhipguy.com coming soon).
It's a get together of all interested whip crackers at every skill level.
The 3 of us give instruction on the 3 basic cracks plus more advanced routines, plus give small workshop/demonstration regarding care and maintenance, cracker making and attaching plus all sorts of other stuff.
It's a real great time. We have had anywhere from 40-60 people at some of these events and hopefully they will continue to grow in popularity. PLUS ... its free to all who show up. You bring your own food and drinks and we make an afternoon out of it.

HERE'S WHAT I WANT TO KNOW:
Would anyone from this group (or anyone you know) be interested in doing this in the Chicago area.
I know some who would like to attend who are not members of the group. Just a general interest in whip cracking.
I would love to get one of these events going up north in the Chicago area. I would like to see how many people are interested.
(AGENT 5 ... YOU GOTTA COME!!!!)
I think this could be a real cool time and we could talk Indy too.
Chicago is around 3.5 hours for me, but I'd be willing to do it. I just don't want to end up in a park all by myself. Know what I'm sayin'?

Let's get a head count.
PLUS email me with your email and once we get enough people, I will send out a mass email letting all know when I (and Paul and Adam if available) can come up. My September is full, but I'd love to do something in October.

Just thinking out loud ... sorta.

All the best!!!
Chris Camp - The Whip Guy
AKA Canasta
winrichwhips
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by winrichwhips »

I'm in.

-Adam

PS: Unfortunately I won't be at the upcoming St. Louis whip-nic on the 11th due to a scheduling conflict.
agent5
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by agent5 »

Oktober is kool with me. :D Perfect whipcracking weather. Also, Chris, if you don't feel like making the drive back you're always welcome at my house overnight. Just leave those nice stock whips I played with last time before you leave. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: JK.
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Post by binkmeisterRick »

Oh, I see how it is! I move from Indiana to the east coast and NOW you bring this up! :lol: :wink:

bink
prettybigguy
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by prettybigguy »

Count me in.
USNavyBlueAngel
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by USNavyBlueAngel »

This is the FIRST time I'm actually sorry I moved from Milwaukee to Utah.

I would have LOVED to have been able to be there to do this with you guys. But, I hope you have a great turnout. I'll just have to wait until (gasp!) April in Oklahoma. :?

Cathy
thefish
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by thefish »

Well, H-E-Double Hockey Sticks!

Chicago is about a six and a half hour trip for me, and considering the galsoline prices, and the amount I'm going to be shelling out anyway, (I spend about 3 hours on the road per-day to get to work and back,) I think it goes without saying that I won't make it.

You guys have fun, though, and if there's any justice in the world, I'll see you and USNBA in Claremore!
thefish
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by thefish »

And gas is so expensive, I can't even afford to spell it right!

Eye R Aye Kolleje Prufesser ;-)

-Dan
Got Maul
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Got Maul »

color me as interested ! Aching to learn some new things to do with my whip !
Glurrk
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Glurrk »

I assume the dress code will be fedoras and Westeds, gentlemen? :)
agent5
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by agent5 »

I don't wanna be with a group of guys wearing the same thing. :?

Hey, that's just me.
Glurrk
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Glurrk »

agent5 wrote:I don't wanna be with a group of guys wearing the same thing. :?

Hey, that's just me.
Well, I could wear something more appropriate...
Image...but the poncho makes it difficult to crack a whip properly.

Besides, it's in the wash anyway! :wink:
agent5
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by agent5 »

Well kids, the time is approaching quickly and I know for a fact that if we don't set a tentative date this will all go down the tubes with everyone cancelling at the last minute. So, can we try to choose a date that will accomodate everyone? The way it looks to me is that any weekend will be fine as long as I have advanced warning to get a sitter for my son.
As I said, if anyone is coming in from out of town and wants a free place to stay at night, you can crash at my place if need be.

Let's hear some ideas then.
IllinoisJones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by IllinoisJones »

I can do it basically any Day time, as I have commitments most nights on weekends. Hope I'm not too late to join.
prettybigguy
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by prettybigguy »

Both 10/8 or 10/9 & 10/15 or 10/16 are good for me. If we plan it any later in the Autumn, we could have a problem with weather (unless an indoor location was found). Canasta is the guy who needs to chime in though!
agent5
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by agent5 »

We can all meet by my place if it's ok with everyone. Really easy to get to from 2 expressways. There are also 2 really nice options on where to crack that are both only 5-10 minutes from my house.

There are two forest preserves with very open clearings. One is very secluded and fairly deep in the woods (Illinois Troy and I practiced a bit and took some photos there a while back) or one that's right off a main road. Both are very open fields and perfect for practice, only one is alot more private. I'm open to any ideas, but this is my suggestion and I don't mind hosting. Got Maul has been over several times and Canasta has been to my house 2 years ago but I've gotten quite a bit of new stuff since then. :D I'd be happy to show off my collection to the rest of you.
winrichwhips
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by winrichwhips »

I'm going to be at the DFW WE whipcracking even the 8th and 9th, but the weekend after that will work for me. I think it would be harder for Chris to work it into his schedule as he is both busy and famous :wink: I would definitely get Chris to agree to a date before setting anything

-Adam

PS: Agent5, a place to crash would be appreciated as I am but a lowly whipmaker :wink:
Glurrk
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Glurrk »

agent5 wrote:There are two forest preserves with very open clearings. One is very secluded and fairly deep in the woods or one that's right off a main road. Both are very open fields and perfect for practice, only one is alot more private.
I vote for the more private area, although the noise may attract undue attention anyway. :)
agent5
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by agent5 »

I don't wanna take over this opperation as it was Canastas idea, but I figured since I'm from the area I'd offer my services. Yes, we do need to hear from Canasta and soon. If anyone else has ideas please make them known.
Glurrk
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Glurrk »

If this doesn't work out, is anyone up for meeting together anyway?
winrichwhips
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by winrichwhips »

I'll come even if Chris doesn't.

It might be worthwhile to extend this to the WE group as well as the WWAC people that might be in the area. Both groups have forums on Yahoo! that Paul Nolan and I subscribe to. Once we've decided on a date and a location I can put a post on both forums.

-Adam, www.winrichwhips.com
agent5
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by agent5 »

One word of warning. I'm not that good at all, so I'm hoping to learn some stuff from you guys.

Where's Canasta?
prettybigguy
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by prettybigguy »

agent5 wrote:One word of warning. I'm not that good at all, so I'm hoping to learn some stuff from you guys.

Where's Canasta?
He's probably too busy signing autographs after his big television debut! :P

I can do the "Basic 4" cracks, but I'd like to learn some new ones too.
Glurrk
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Glurrk »

Since I can consistently hit myself in the ear with the circus crack, I tend to avoid that maneuver these days... :oops:
Canasta
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Canasta »

Guys, I'm really sorry. I completely lost track of this one, although it has been on my mind since the first post.
Please forgive me. It's nothing more than a schedule thing.

Right now all of my Friday/Saturdays are taken, however, I am most likely available the 16, 23, 30, all Sundays. I'm checking my wifes calendar and should know within the hour...I hope.

Let's make this happen. I think an area with visiblilty would be good.
Just more exposure. When a date is set, I'll call Bill Hageman at the Tribune. He has covered me before and expressed an interest if ever anything like this were to take place.

C
Canasta
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Canasta »

PS.

Prettybigguy, I have a glossy 8x10 ready for ya!

Glurrk, We'll have that problem fixed in no time!.

Good idea Adam,
I have some other people who might be able to make it once a date is set.

C
agent5
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by agent5 »

The 16th is good for me. The 15th is my 1 yr anniversary w/ my girlfriend anyways and when I told her that we might meet up on that date, she got pyssed off. No worries though as I'll meet with you guys as I please.
C, both areas have great visibilty, just one is completely enclosed by trees and the other is directly off a main road. Both have more than enough space to practice in. If we choose the more private spot I think we'll attract alot less attention and there will be less people, as in nobody but us. The other spot usually has guys practicing golf swings there although there is plenty of space all around.

Think it over fellas.
winrichwhips
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by winrichwhips »

I think Chris wants to be in a spot where we are most likely to be seen and attract interest from passers by, to help expose more people to the positive aspects of whip cracking. We don't want to be 'closet' whipcrackers, do we? On the other hand, we don't want police records, either :wink:

The 16th works for me. I'd probably plan on driving down on Saturday, chilling out, and drive back home on Monday, that is if I can impose on Agent5's hospitality that long.

I'll bring my 22 ft nylong cow whip for everyone to try. I'm thinking of naming it "The Chainsaw" as it really rips the skin on my legs when I'm not careful (I suppose if I were really careful I'd only use it wearing pants, not shorts :roll: )

-Adam
Glurrk
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Glurrk »

I'm 90% positive I can swing the 16th. :)

I imagine one other question would be, "What time of day?"
agent5
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by agent5 »

Canasta,
Hows the calendar looking, man? Let's get this planned!!!
Canasta
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Canasta »

I'm good for the 16th.
Let's go.

C
winrichwhips
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by winrichwhips »

Okay, cool.

Agent5, the area of your choosing sounds good, though I would go with the area by the street, so we get some public visibility. If you can, please let me know what the name of this location is and give directions to it so I can post on other forums.

For times, I suggest Noon to whenever on the 16th.

prettybigguy
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by prettybigguy »

The 16th it is then! I await directions on where to go.
PBG
agent5
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by agent5 »

Does everyone want to meet at my place first and then take a couple of cars or do we all wanna meet at the location?
Glurrk
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Glurrk »

agent5 wrote:Does everyone want to meet at my place first and then take a couple of cars or do we all wanna meet at the location?
Depends where the location is, I suppose. :) I'd be coming in from the western suburbs. (Lyons)
winrichwhips
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by winrichwhips »

Well, how about posting directions to both your house (or maybe require that everybody PM you for directions), and the site, and those that want to meet at your house should be there at 11:45, and those that want to meet at the site be there at noon (or whenever).

-Adam
agent5
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by agent5 »

Now, READ CAREFULLY!!!!
The practice area is NOT the address listed below but the practice area is the large field right across the street from Gaelic Park. Gaelic Park is a restraunt, but since the forest preserve has no address listed in mapblast, this will do just fine since it's right across the street. Believe me, there is NO way you can miss this field driving down the road.

The practice area:

(across the street from) Gaelic Park
6119 147th St.
Oak Forest, IL

The practice field is only a few miles from my house, about 7-10 minutes. Real close.
Why don't we make it 1:00 pm instead of noon? Is that alright? I'm a late sleeper and plus, I figure some people might have church.
If anyone wants to meet at my house first and then just take a couple cars over there just let me know.
Anyone up for dinner afterwards or does everyone pretty much have to split, minus Adam? There are alot of decent places within short driving distances.
Canasta, you going home that night or are you crashing out with Adam and I?
Last edited by agent5 on Thu Oct 27, 2005 2:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Canasta
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Canasta »

I'm up for dinner all the way.
Unfortunately, I will have to come home that night, but not till late.
I started teaching a ten week class on Monday and Wednesday.
If I can swing a sub I will.

C

PS
I think Paul Nolan will be coming with me.
We are working on that
agent5
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by agent5 »

Anybody...?
Glurrk
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Glurrk »

agent5 wrote:Anybody...?
Count me in! :D As far as I know, I pretty much have the whole darn day... (a rarity indeed)
winrichwhips
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by winrichwhips »

You know I'm always up for food.
prettybigguy
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by prettybigguy »

Yeah, why not? Count me in.
agent5
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by agent5 »

OK, kids. Only 3 days left and nobody has said what exactly it is they're going to do. Is anybody meeting at my place, before or after? Is anybody just going to the practice field? Do we know if anybody from other boards are gunna show up?

Any info, people?
Canasta
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Canasta »

Hi A5
I think I will try to leave home around 8am.
That puts me there around 11:30
I think I'll come to your place first.

Sound good?
Looking forward to it.

C
winrichwhips
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by winrichwhips »

I finally got around to putting posts about this event in a couple other forums, Whip Enthusiasts and WWAC, but they still have to be approved by a moderator before being posted. I just gave them the time and the location of the park, and it should be interesting to see what we get.

USNavyBlueAngel
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by USNavyBlueAngel »

winrichwhips wrote:I finally got around to putting posts about this event in a couple other forums, Whip Enthusiasts and WWAC, but they still have to be approved by a moderator before being posted. I just gave them the time and the location of the park, and it should be interesting to see what we get.

Adam - Just out of curiousity, why do those messages have to get approved by a moderator? I belong to both groups also, and I know you've posted on both of them, so it's not like you're a first time poster. Just wondering, because this is the first I ever heard of some messages getting moderated on those groups.

Chris, and everyone else - I hope you have a great turnout, and a fun time this weekend. I'm disappointed that I won't be able to be there, but I can't complain too much - I had my fun in Texas a couple of weeks ago! :)

Cathy
winrichwhips
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by winrichwhips »

They moderate to weed out the crazys and undesireables before they post (as opposed to here where they do it after the fact). The jury is still out on me :wink:

-Adam
Canasta
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Canasta »

Agent 5.
Would you please pm me with your phone number.
I'd like to have it tomorrow just in case.
Chris
agent5
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by agent5 »

Thought I'd post my version of the results over here: viewtopic.php?p=197449&sid=637f1bef4496 ... dd8#197449