Help me decide...

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

Floribama Steve
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Help me decide...

Post by Floribama Steve »

I'm trying to sell my coughdorfmancough on eBay, and putting the money towards a Keppler fedora, but with all the talk about the AB, y'all think I should just wait a while and save some more money for an AB instead of a Keppler? Is there any real difference between the two?
Ken
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by Ken »

The Keppler is a great hat and you would not regret owning one. The AB I have seen briefly in person and also seems like a great hat though I havent had the chance to study one in depth.

Ken
prairiejones
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: In the damp jungles of Peru, drinking Dewar's with Pagey.

Post by prairiejones »

If it's money right now, get the Keppler or an Akubra. You won't regret getting either. Just know that you'll probably end up getting an Adventurebilt. They are amazing.
Kaleponi Craig
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Re: Help me decide...

Post by Kaleponi Craig »

Floribama Steve wrote:I'm trying to sell my coughdorfmancough on eBay, and putting the money towards a Keppler fedora, but with all the talk about the AB, y'all think I should just wait a while and save some more money for an AB instead of a Keppler? Is there any real difference between the two?
Steve, I have both a Keppler and an Adventurebilt. I say, without a doubt, save a few $$ and go with the Adventurebilt. Lee Keppler does a great job on the bash of his hat, but the material is second rate. One good rainstorm on my Keppler Raiders fedora and it quickly turned into the dreaded ToD airplane scene fedora, with really bad taper. The Adventurebilt is pure beaver and will stand up a lot more in rainy weather.
Richard~Buxton
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Richard~Buxton »

I agree If you can wait, go with the AB. I'ts a no-brainer. 8)
Floribama Steve
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Floribama Steve »

Y'all have convinced me. I'm waiting for an Adventurebilt. I have a weatherproof outback hat that I wear most of the time right now, so I suppose I can last on that till I have the money.

Now I just have to answer all the incredulous stares I'm going to get once I break the news to my folks about the price. :lol:
Flattery
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Flattery »

You'll be glad you did. Who cares about the price. It is a big chunk of cash, but it is money extremely well spent. I've had my AB reblocked once due to a sizing issue. Other than that, I've never had a problem with it -- period. :wink:
Kaleponi Craig
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Kaleponi Craig »

Floribama Steve wrote:Now I just have to answer all the incredulous stares I'm going to get once I break the news to my folks about the price. :lol:
Ummmmm, unless they're paying for it, I wouldn't tell them. As in a previous discussion about wives and the price of our hats, it's just best not to mention it. What they don't know won't hurt them!
Dre
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Dre »

i suppose as long as you're gonna wear it alot then spend a little extra money for better quality and such. If you're not going to wear it alot - then i wouldnt bother.

then again i think i have total double standards - i didnt feel bad spending alot of money on a wested (with tax, shipping and duties (australia) it cost me a little over $500 aus) yet i dont really want to spend over $100 for an indy hat =P then again, i'd wear the jacket alot more than the hat and i also have this fascination with jackets. I also have reservations about ordering an indy bag online that would cost me around $80 aus with shipping and such from WPG (i think). I'd use the bag alot - although im a bit hesitant about the size of it as it seems kinda small and might not be extremely useful
Don't Call Me Junior
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Don't Call Me Junior »

Sounds like you've already made up your mind but I would also suggest to go with an Adventurebilt. Unlike others I haven't owned a ton of diferent fedoras, but according to all those wise individuals it is THE hat. I got another hat and ended up ordering an Adventurebilt two days later. Save the time and start with the best.
Indiana Williams
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Indiana Williams »

Im going to have to agree with everyone else, go with an Adventurebilt.even if you get the rabbit one, which is what I have, you wont be dissapointed.also the rabbit AB is the same price as the Keppler, so you can get a better hat for the same price.
Best Regards,
Joe
Richard~Buxton
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Richard~Buxton »

You made the right choice. :wink: Let us know when you get it.
IndianaGuybrush
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by IndianaGuybrush »

There's nothing wrong with starter fedoras. The Keppler was my first fedora and it served me very well until I got the money together to buy a used HJ and then an AB.
J_Weaver
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by J_Weaver »

Don't forget that you can get a pure rabbit AB for $135. I've had my rabbit AB since March and it only keeps getting better. Of course, if you can save up the money, and don't mind spending it go for the beaver AB.
Erri
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Erri »

if you want to have a look to my rabbit AB (raven bar) be my guest :wink:

viewtopic.php?p=191714#191714